Marcus Easley....the new James Hardy

K-Gun10

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

Anyone else think this way

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm the only one that sees this but Marcus and the injuries and the lack of play just makes me think of James Hardy ; an athlete that just doesn't seem to be the answer.

I see where you're going with this, but let's cross our fingers and wait to see how this season pans out before we start making James Hardy comparisons. Sheesh!!

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

It sounds like Hagen has impressed Gailey as well. The question becomes does Easley make the roster based on size, speed and potential? Or does Roosevelt make it based on past performance?

Besides I would hate to see Roosevelt in a Pats uniform.

Not sure why Easley was/is hyped so much. I have been saying this for the past 6 months and have continually taken heat for it. He was a 4th round pick out of UCONN with minimal experience even at the college level. He has been on the IR for 2 years and has shown very little in terms of "on field ability". He is EASILY (no pun intended) one of the most over hyped Buffalo Bills of all time as people seem to view him as the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice and the answer to the issue of the #2 WR.

If you are looking for the feel good story on the Bills, root for HAGAN. He, at one point, was considered a 1st round draft pick, set all kinds of records at Arizona State and at least has a decent amount of NFL experience. Yes he has been on 4 teams in 7 years, but he has also had 6 OC's during that span as well.

I am not saying HAGAN is the answer, but he has a history to base "potential" off of.

Edited by Booger

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

sure, if you want ANOTHER wideout on this team that cant run a 9 route or get openmore than ten yards downfield

It sounds like Hagen has impressed Gailey as well. The question becomes does Easley make the roster based on size, speed and potential? Or does Roosevelt make it based on past performance?

Besides I would hate to see Roosevelt in a Pats uniform.

I do think a Bills WR cut, whoever it is, will get signed by the Pats.

PTR

Not sure why Easley was/is hyped so much. I have been saying this for the past 6 months and have continually taken heat for it. He was a 4th round pick out of UCONN with minimal experience even at the college level. He has been on the IR for 2 years and has shown very little in terms of "on field ability". He is EASILY (no pun intended) one of the most over hyped Buffalo Bills of all time as people seem to view him as the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice and the answer to the issue of the #2 WR.

If you are looking for the feel good story on the Bills, root for HAGAN. He, at one point, was considered a 1st round draft pick, set all kinds of records at Arizona State and at least has a decent amount of NFL experience. Yes he has been on 4 teams in 7 years, but he has also had 6 OC's during that span as well.

I am not saying HAGAN is the answer, but he has a history to base "potential" off of.

The only place Easley is hyped is on this board. The national Media would have to check their guide to see what position he plays. Many here believe if the Bills sign you you're golden or better. Just not the case.

Edited by Best Player Available

well this his third year and after watching him in camp and that game his routes are not good and he looks like he's guessing instead of knowing where to go

Funny you say that. I have heard people on this board say..."he has been running mental routes" while on the IR the past 2 years. That he was up to speed with the offense since he has been able to "sit back and study it".

Goes to show the lack of football knowledge and the fact that so many fans cannot be honest about players on the Bills. Its "ok" to admit concern, criticize, or question a player on the Bills. They have not made the playoffs in 12 years for crying out loud. Demand a little more.

I'm sure that if there's nothing worth developing any more, then Channix will part ways...when we get to cut down date I"m sure it'll be clear what they think of him.

its like the fanbase has decided this guy is good when he has done nothing

I hear you. You have to earn cred on the field in the NFL. Having a cool name, high draft status, and looking good on spot clips from college don't mean a thing. Some poster last year likened Easely to Eric Moulds. He may have been the same guy who said Alex Carrington was going to be better than Phil Hansen. :doh:

Funny you say that. I have heard people on this board say..."he has been running mental routes" while on the IR the past 2 years. That he was up to speed with the offense since he has been able to "sit back and study it".

Goes to show the lack of football knowledge and the fact that so many fans cannot be honest about players on the Bills. Its "ok" to admit concern, criticize, or question a player on the Bills. They have not made the playoffs in 12 years for crying out loud. Demand a little more.

yeah exactly

I am tryingto figureout why all the HATE for Easley.....

He has had some good moments in camp......and had some receptions in ONE preseason game........

Am I missing somthing?

I agree. Not much he could have done about a cardiac issue. And no sense cutting ties with the guy until it's clear one way or the other what we have in him.

By the way, I'm glad you guys got D.Howard...I was really getting sick of his nonsense, so might as well stick him with the rest of the losers on your team LOL.

He has had some good moments in camp......and had some receptions in ONE preseason game........

Am I missing somthing?

I don't think there is "HATE" for Easley. I believe what is in question is "why Easley is defended by the fan base and what has he done?". He really has not shown or proven anything in 2 year other than he can find the IR (neither being his fault but that is football). Reports come out of him having a sub par camp and yet they are discredited (just as you have done). There seems to be a competition going on for that #2 WR postion and Easley's name is really not being mentioned for it. He is instead being mentioned running with the 3rd and 4th team...YET he gets the lion's share of the hype.

Edited by Booger

I seem to recall a collection of quotes from anonymous NFL talent evaluators that were pretty high on Easley's potential, some even indicating that if the Bills didn't take him in the 4th round there were other team's that would. I remember a specific evaluation that suggested if Easley had also started his junior season and put up similar production he would have been a surefire 2nd round pick, even coming out of UConn.

The glowing remarks combined with his prototypical size and speed and several eye opening moments in each of the past 2 training camps are more than enough ammunition to get the fanbase going. Factor in the desperate need for talent at the WR position and it's a molotov cocktail of speculation and epic mythmaking--- he looks the part but his development has been stunted by 2 separate but equally fluky injuries. It may be enough to prematurely end a potentially promising career or he can continue to battle through it and shock the world. I like what I've seen from him and he has a great attitude, but Joe Buscaglia this evening reported that he's been very inconsistent throughout camp and is likely no longer a lock to make the team.

Plenty of time left this summer to see without rushing to judgement one way or another.

Edited by Punch

I seem to recall a collection of quotes from anonymous NFL talent evaluators that were pretty high on Easley's potential, some even indicating that if the Bills didn't take him in the 4th round there were other team's that would. I remember a specific evaluation that suggested if Easley had also started his junior season and put up similar production he would have been a surefire 2nd round pick, even coming out of UConn.

The glowing remarks combined with his prototypical size and speed and several eye opening moments in each of the past 2 training camps are more than enough ammunition to get the fanbase going. Factor in the desperate need for talent at the WR position and it's a molotov cocktail of speculation and epic mythmaking--- he looks the part but his development has been stunted by 2 separate but equally fluky injuries. It may be enough to prematurely end a potentially promising career or he can continue to battle through it and shock the world. I like what I've seen from him and he has a great attitude, but Joe Buscaglia this evening reported that he's been very inconsistent throughout camp and is likely no longer a lock to make the team.

Plenty of time left this summer to see without rushing to judgement one way or another.

Your fair, measured, and balanced response has no place at this table.

You'd best move on if you know what's good for you.

lack of football knowledge? and what do you know that everyone else doesn't know Eienstein

Derek Hagan injures his ankle at camp. No word on how serious yet. http://blogs.buffalo...e-problems.html

PTR

can't find anything on Hagan except a turf burn today?

Am I missing somthing?

Some people just have to hate on someone John

How about we wait and see how things pan out before we start labeling someone a failure.

Your fair, measured, and balanced response has no place at this table.

You'd best move on if you know what's good for you.

LOL--- I'll take that as a compliment!

can't find anything on Hagan except a turf burn today?

I think at the time the Buffalo News produced that video the extent of the injury wasn't clear--- it was later reported as just a turf burn and he did return to practice although his leg was bloodied.

LOL--- I'll take that as a compliment!

I think at the time the Buffalo News produced that video the extent of the injury wasn't clear--- it was later reported as just a turf burn and he did return to practice although his leg was bloodied.

must be

Why the hype about Easley? size and speed plus the assumption that at the NFL level good hands and route running are a given- when we find they are not a given then the fans turn ugly - I think Roosevelt is at a disadvantage but Steve Largent had a great career without size or speed - if the Bills like Graham as the Number 2 then I could see Roosevelt as the fourth WR after Nelson - Stevie is your grinder, Graham takes the top off, Nelson is your slot guy, and Roosevelt is the guy who comes in on third and long to work the underneath and catch 99.99% of the passes that touch his hands.

I would be very surprised if Graham starts the season as the #2. No matter how fast he is I doubt he picks up the offense that quickly.

And as for Easley and Hardy comparison...I believe Hardy had at least one TD reception after year two. All Easley has put up is a huge doctor bill.

And as for Easley and Hardy comparison...I believe Hardy had at least one TD reception after year two. All Easley has put up is a huge doctor bill.

Easley hasn't shot any family members either. He needs to exhibit a little more determination, if you ask me.

Here's how I see it. There are only three players at the WR position who are locks to make the roster: Johnson, Nelson & Graham.

The only reason I list Graham is because he was a high draft pick, and unless he falls flat on his face the rest of the preseason, there is no way the Bills are cutting him.

After those three players, the race is wide open. Jones, Roosevelt, Aiken, Session, Hagan, Easley & Clowney are all fighting for roster spots.

IMO, the only other player that deserves to make the roster is Derek Hagan. He is the most experienced WR on our roster and he stepped up last year and showed to be a consistent player during the stretch of miserable games the Bills had.

Looking at who is left, it's hard to say who deserves to stay. Clearly, players like Session, Clowney, Easley & Aiken are long shots, whereas Jones & Roosevelt have more experience.

Personally I would hope that Easley can prove that he deserves to be on the roster. He was a draft pick, unlike Jones & Roosevelt, and I believe he has the potential to be a good player. So I am going to sit back and wait and see how this position battle turns out.

I trust that Gailey & Nix will choose the better players to be on the team.

Edited by Mark Vader

I don't think there is "HATE" for Easley. I believe what is in question is "why Easley is defended by the fan base and what has he done?". He really has not shown or proven anything in 2 year other than he can find the IR (neither being his fault but that is football). Reports come out of him having a sub par camp and yet they are discredited (just as you have done). There seems to be a competition going on for that #2 WR postion and Easley's name is really not being mentioned for it. He is instead being mentioned running with the 3rd and 4th team...YET he gets the lion's share of the hype.

i think that marcus easley is an unknown quantity at a position of need with potential (he has good size, speed, strength). we, as bills fans, are constantly hoping that we will have someone step up from within to fill a void and fill it well. for a lot of us (i certainly can't speak for everyone) i think it comes down to just giving this kid a chance. he's been through a lot and i'd like to give him the rest of the preseason to convince the coaches and his teammates that he belongs.

its like the fanbase has decided this guy is good when he has done nothing

Which fans have decided this? I've read a lot of posts by fans "hoping" Easley develops into a valuable asset because of his speed and size. Is that a crime?

[quote name=K-Gun10' timestamp='1344826599

' post='2528802]

No, I do not think this way. Easley has size and speed and looks pretty solid. The poor guy had a heart condition and now he's back healthy. Let's reevaluate this post after a few weeks. His upside potential is tremendous.

Which fans have decided this? I've read a lot of posts by fans "hoping" Easley develops into a valuable asset because of his speed and size. Is that a crime?

Yep, and judging from some of the reaction, it's a crime on par with the horrible act of being optimistic about Fitz.

Easley hasn't done much yet but he is coming off injuries. Maybe he will make it, maybe he won't. It would be great for the Bills to have another option at WR.

IMO comparing him to Hardly is totally unfair. Is anyone aware of Easley allegedly trying to kill his father?

Ok?

Cool story.

Let's see how the pre-season plays out. If he makes it, awesome, if not, good luck. May the best man win. I don't see why there's so much controversy. Seems like a good kid who's had a run of bad luck. He has physical tools, so he's a good prospect on paper, which is why people are excited, potential. If he doesn't live up to that, not a big deal, you win some, you lose some.

Well, the injury thing might end his career, but his on field performance was OK last Thursday night...he had some speed and burst. But, whether he can actually play regularly after two years off is another question.....I say his chances are marginal. But, they need somebody?????