Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

My guess, considering the Bills organization seems to be ignorant of this, is that its going to be an "outline" for what he "wants" to do to keep the Bills here. I doubt we'll get any serious news. Maybe a flowchart here or there talking about strengthening regional ties...but I seriously doubt we'll get any concrete news from this.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds to me like Chuck just trying to get some attention and trying to force his way into the process so that he can take credit when an agreement ultimately happens. We will see, but I am expecting just a bunch of jaw flapping from Chuck.

They said on the radio this morning that he is going to push for the Bills to contribute money towards the project and then have the league match those funds.

i think schumer is a total blowhard, to say the least. i disagree with his politics, but will say this, if he can do anything in securing that the bills remain in buffalo, i become an instant fan of his and i will admit to being a totally shallow , unprincipled guy.

Edited by dwight in philly

What I'm telling myself so that I can have some semblance of a workday today is that The Bills spokesman mentioned in the story is low enough that he wouldn't be party to what Schumer is talking about. I mean I love Chris Brown as much as the next guy but his position isn't exactly at Executive VP level.

Antitrust legislation

Rozelle got away with (antitrust) murder with the merger, and to avoid litigation he made the promise that no team would relocate (to get Louisiana senator support, plus he put a team in NOLA). And with the exception of LA - which is about to get a team anyway - every city that has lost a team got it back. Buffalo won't be so lucky. So Schumer could make life a living hell for the NFL if they want to futz round with Buffalo

And so he should

There will be no "antitrust" change in our lifetimes. Everyone knows that if the NFL's antitrust status changed, it would be the end of teams like the Bills--and the end of the NFL as we know it. No polititian will willfully step in that hole.

Does anyone know if this announcment will be available to the public or a special invite only inside the confines of OBD?

Does anyone plan on going today? I'm off work, I plan on going down there, anyone else wanna try and get there and get the scoop? If not, I'll gladly be the inside info on this.

Maybe his announcing state funding will provided. Imagine money from downstate being used for improvements upstate

Maybe his announcing state funding will provided. Imagine money from downstate being used for improvements upstate

This sounds to me like Chuck just trying to get some attention and trying to force his way into the process so that he can take credit when an agreement ultimately happens. We will see, but I am expecting just a bunch of jaw flapping from Chuck.

They said on the radio this morning that he is going to push for the Bills to contribute money towards the project and then have the league match those funds.

Yeah, we all know politicians like to grandstand but a little grease never hurt.

PTR

You guys are missing it completely.

He is announcing:

The Niagara Frontier Retractable Dome Stadium at Charles Schumer Field

A 65,000 seat stadium with two jumbtrons set in downtown Buf, with Federal and State funding included.

...ahhh, I can almost taste the chili!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

And how many plans to keep the Bills in WNY has Chuckie previously announced already, over how many years?

Typical Schumer grandstanding, the day before the eyes of all WNYers will be focused on the Bills preseason opener at RWS.

Just proves, once again, that there is no place more dangerous to be than between Chuck Schumer and a live TV camera.

This is going to be no different than anything else. He's going to talk about an "idea" to keep the team in WNY, but won't have any firm plans to speak of. I like the idea that he wants to make it a priority, but at some point that needs to become reality.

Didn't someone say Goodell is in town too? If so, that sounds like a little bit more than coincidence to me. Schumer isn't up for reelection this year, so it's not like he needs the publicity at the moment.

A high level county contact says they have no clue what the hell Schumer is up to and were never approached. the fact that he's a federal politicians makes it more confusing. So theyre taking a wait and see unless his people get in touch with the county.

Didn't someone say Goodell is in town too? If so, that sounds like a little bit more than coincidence to me. Schumer isn't up for reelection this year, so it's not like he needs the publicity at the moment.

yup. Seems a little odd that they are both in town and from what I thought I read will both be there. No less than a week after RW met with the Commissioner in Canton.