Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

Wow, so his entire plan is basically asking someone else to do something? Great plan.

Even better, it's asking someone else to lend someone else money.

well, he didn't ask anyone that. It sounds like more of an assumption that the Bills would take interest in this ratification. There is no difference really than what is currently availabe butit sounds like he is attampting to have a ratification to finacially punish any owner that breaks the contract.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schumer is a fool. That was a worthless presser.

So he wishes to influence a private loan program with an established set of rules for NFL franchises that can participate in it... if they choose to. He has had conversations with the parties involved (none of whom solicited his input). And to be polite, they said his ideas were interesting.

When pressed by McKinley, Chuck became agitated saying that McKinley should to talk to the Bills and the NFL. McKinley's had a great response: "You're right here, sir."

I mean, when you have a great idea, and hold a press conference to divulge the details, your responses shouldn't include "go talk to somebody else" for several questions in a row.

I was actually excited when I saw the headlines. But...

So he wishes to influence a private loan program with an established set of rules for NFL franchises that can participate in it... if they choose to. He has had conversations with the parties involved (none of whom solicited his input). And to be polite, they said his ideas were interesting.

When pressed by McKinley, Chuck became agitated saying that McKinley should to talk to the Bills and the NFL. McKinley's had a great response: "You're right here, sir."

I mean, when you have a great idea, and hold a press conference to divulge the details, your responses shouldn't include "go talk to somebody else" for several questions in a row.

FWIW the program is already available, Schumer is only requesting an adaptation to the rules it is currently following. He was comfortable enough to come out and say that Goodell and other clubs would be interested in the changes being proposed.

Regarding McKinleys questions. They were repetitive and not something the Senator is responsible to answer. He clearly said the Bills organization (probably Ralph as he said he has spoken with him personally about it) would be for the change. As far as actually taking advantage of the changes is a completely different story. Something that Ralph himself wouldn't know up to this point.

I'm not defending Schumer just to defend him. The fact is that today's trip to the parking lot at Ralph Wilson Stadium was probably not needed by the Senator. It doesn't necessarily mean if the changes are passed that it means the Bills stay in the area but it is another incentive and something to help any future plans for not only the Bills but any small market team in the NFL, which is better than nothing at all. FWIW, when Murphy was in with Mike Schoop this afternoon he made a comment that it's another loophole that could help the team and coming from a Buffalo Bills employee, he stated that he is not worried about the Bills future in Buffalo. Take that for what it is.

Edited by mrags

I'm from NYC and I wanted to ask you guys from Buffalo this question... In Buffalo do you guys have the New York Post and Daily News newspapers? Or is that just a 5 borough thing?

you can get just about any major paper in the country at Wegmans. Not sure how many people actually do tho. I work in Sullivan county and I can tell you that I read those papers all the time. Mostly them and the Sullivan Chronicle or whatever the he!! It's called.

Not sure how anyone who wants the Bills to stay in Buffalo can have a problem with what Schumer is trying to do. By going public with this, it forces Ralph and the Bills to put in their own money and use the G-4 program for stadium improvements once the NFL amends the rules specifically for the Bills. How bad will Ralph look if NFL amends its rules specifically for the Bills and Ralph turns around and asks NYS taxpayers to fund all or the majority of the upgrades?

The wheel-chair bound owner (Graham's description of him) has no intention of participating in G4.

Why would he? I wouldn't either if I owned the Bills. Let the government pick up the tab as they have in the past.

I suspect this was more of a CYA presser for Chuckles. Think about it:

1) If the Bills stay in Buffalo with new ownership then Schumer can claim credit.

2) If the Bills leave the area Schumer can say he did everything in his power but the NFL was hell bent on !@#$ing small market Buffalo.

Either way, Schumer doesn't lose any votes next time he is up for re-election.

Pretty smart really. He may be a blowhard !@#$, but he is a politically astute blowhard !@#$.

Not sure how anyone who wants the Bills to stay in Buffalo can have a problem with what Schumer is trying to do. By going public with this, it forces Ralph and the Bills to put in their own money and use the G-4 program for stadium improvements once the NFL amends the rules specifically for the Bills. How bad will Ralph look if NFL amends its rules specifically for the Bills and Ralph turns around and asks NYS taxpayers to fund all or the majority of the upgrades?

What Schumer is trying to do is cover his ass. He doesn't want to be the politician who lost the Bills.

Do you really think the NFL is going to alter their G-4 policy simply as a "keep the Bills in Buffalo" measure?

And do you think if they did, that Mr. Wilson would be forced to use it? The NFL made a [lame] attempt at relaxing the sellout rule this season. Did Mr. Wilson take advantage of it? Nope. Why? Because it would have cost him money.

Follow the money and you will always end up in the right place when it comes to the NFL.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Not sure how anyone who wants the Bills to stay in Buffalo can have a problem with what Schumer is trying to do.

this right here. It's not even the fact that we would use this. It's just another option for the team. Options are good (unless your Tim Tebow).

The problem is with what Schumer is trying to do, is its just throwing more fuel on the fire for the fans to get upset about if they lose the team. Weither what he proposed or said will actually work or be allowed won't matter, now there are sections of the fan base that will think that if the Bills move, its all because they didn't take out one of those loans, therefore Ralph doesn't care about Bills fans and keeping the team here. How is he providing any help by just holding a press conference to announce to the public that theres a loan option that the Bills can use that requires immediate repayment if the team moves? If anything, all this was is a way to try and help the county with its lease negotiations and trying to help them get a deal that would require less of the state/county money be used to fix the place and let all the taxpayers know that the Bills can take advantage of this wonderful program where they get loans that are matched by the league, and hey, the bonus is that theres a slight possibility it will hinder a deal with someone looking to relocate cause they would have to repay the loan upon relocation.

i heard the clips this morning and that was my favorite part. At first he asked if the Bills expressed interest in this or if its something they may do, after he said he talked to them, and his answer was "You have to go talk to them". His follow up was basically saying "You talked to them already, did they seem like they were interested?" and his response was that "You should go and ask them". He also asked if repayment of $25-50 mil really going to be a deterent or a hardship for someone who is already going to be paying well over $800,000, 000 to $1 billion for the team? His response was that the new owner would now have to pay an additional $25-50 million for the team right away to pay back the loans. The follow up is was pretty much "I understand, but is $25-50 mil extra going to hurt someone who already has $800 mil to $1 bil to buy the team?" His response, "I don't know, I don't have that kind of money right now, you would have to talk to someone that does"

The problem is with what Schumer is trying to do, is its just throwing more fuel on the fire for the fans to get upset about if they lose the team. Weither what he proposed or said will actually work or be allowed won't matter, now there are sections of the fan base that will think that if the Bills move, its all because they didn't take out one of those loans, therefore Ralph doesn't care about Bills fans and keeping the team here. How is he providing any help by just holding a press conference to announce to the public that theres a loan option that the Bills can use that requires immediate repayment if the team moves? If anything, all this was is a way to try and help the county with its lease negotiations and trying to help them get a deal that would require less of the state/county money be used to fix the place and let all the taxpayers know that the Bills can take advantage of this wonderful program where they get loans that are matched by the league, and hey, the bonus is that theres a slight possibility it will hinder a deal with someone looking to relocate cause they would have to repay the loan upon relocation.

i heard the clips this morning and that was my favorite part. At first he asked if the Bills expressed interest in this or if its something they may do, after he said he talked to them, and his answer was "You have to go talk to them". His follow up was basically saying "You talked to them already, did they seem like they were interested?" and his response was that "You should go and ask them". He also asked if repayment of $25-50 mil really going to be a deterent or a hardship for someone who is already going to be paying well over $800,000, 000 to $1 billion for the team? His response was that the new owner would now have to pay an additional $25-50 million for the team right away to pay back the loans. The follow up is was pretty much "I understand, but is $25-50 mil extra going to hurt someone who already has $800 mil to $1 bil to buy the team?" His response, "I don't know, I don't have that kind of money right now, you would have to talk to someone that does"

come on. Please. Throwing more fuel on the fire? Really? As Bills fans or just people in general are we to be so defensive that an option that's made available that COULD help not only the current lease negotiations but also future negetiations when someone is attempting to by the team? The fact is that it's a viable option that was not only available before I'm sure Ralph Wilson am the Bills org are very aware of it. The Senator was simply looking to change the current options of the program which could not only help the Bills but any other small market team. If you can't get behind anythig that COULD possibly help the future of this team in Buffalo then just read the information and be on to the next topic. It COULD help. Not saying it will but it's better than nothing. Like I commented before, options are good.

As far as the question by an idiot reporter, he was basically begging for answers. Woulnt let it go. When Schimer started getting annoyed is when he started to defer. It's not Schumers place to answer for the Bills on the subject. The option that he's asking Goodell to change not only isn't passes yet, but we have no idea of all the details that might be involved. Do you really think Ralph or the Bills org would comment on the topic without knowing everything involved. He asked the reporter to ask the Bills, my guess is that if he did the Bills would then say something like... Well, the changes have not been made and until they are approved we will not look into that option any further. I know I wouldn't want want someone answering for me in just about any situation. Once you make comments in others behalves you start to own those comments.

I was there, the reporter was extremely annoying. As I've said, others were annoyed. Others were shaking thier heads in disbelief that he wouldn't let it go. If other reporters were thinking this then why is it so hard to imagine that it's not a fair question?

As far as the $25-50m that would have to be paid back. Your missing the point of it. Sure it's not A lot of money when your talking $1B for a team. But if the loan was say...$100m (hypothetical) the new owner would not only have to pay $1B for the team, another $500m-1B for a new stadium, moving fees (that some here, dont remember who claimed could be in the hundreds of millions of dollars) fees and moving agreements, on top of paying back the $100m (hypothetical) and an additional $25-50m on top of it all. Even if a new stadium was already paid for and the costs of moving and any other liscenses and fees were involved it all gets added in top of the $1B already assumed to pay for the team. It's all additional costs that someone might not care and others might not be available to make that added costs up.

Like I said, it's not that I'm sticking up for Schumer. I could care less. But it seems that everyone who is tearing down this whole thing is forgetting what the point of it was in the first place. Just another option that any small market team COULD take advantage of in the future.

So McKinley was trying to force Schumer to provide actual relevant information at one of his press confrernces? That rat bastard!

So McKinley was trying to force Schumer to provide actual relevant information at one of his press confrernces? That rat bastard!

No, just a lazy, d-bag reporter trying to get Schumer to do his job for him. Like him or not, the whole point of what Schumer is trying to do is give the Bills more options to finance stadium upgrades and also put some public pressure on Ralph to use the G4 loan program.

No, just a lazy, d-bag reporter trying to get Schumer to do his job for him. Like him or not, the whole point of what Schumer is trying to do is give the Bills more options to finance stadium upgrades and also put some public pressure on Ralph to use the G4 loan program.

That "lazy d-bag" was pressing the senator pretty good. Schumer's antics yesterday can be summed up with the old saying "even a friendly snake is an unwelcome guest."

That "lazy d-bag" was pressing the senator pretty good. Schumer's antics yesterday can be summed up with the old saying "even a friendly snake is an unwelcome guest."

I won't call him a D Bag but he was hardly being a good reporter pressing for info. He was acting like the kid in middle school thy wouldn't ever get the hint that no one wanted him aroud because he smells like p*ss.

The fact is that Schumers visit to WNY might not have been needed for this particular change, nor was it necessary to make the announcement at RWS and make it sound like it was inky for the Bills. The fact is that this helps small market teams that Schumer has always fought for in the NFL. You can hate politicians all you want, or the crazy antics of the senator yesterday but he's trying to help and we should all hope his attempts help ensure the Bills in Buffalo for the future.

What exactly is there to be pressing Schumer on? Changing the rules makes the G4 loan program a more attractive option for Ralph, helps keep the Bills in WNY, and saves the money of taxpayers which includes partisan d-bags on both sides. Ralph is the one who needs to be 'pressed'.

What exactly is there to be pressing Schumer on? Changing the rules makes the G4 loan program a more attractive option for Ralph, helps keep the Bills in WNY, and saves the money of taxpayers which includes partisan d-bags on both sides. Ralph is the one who needs to be 'pressed'.

+1. add this to my last post.