Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me. Schumer is pointless.

He could guarantee the Bills will stay in Buffalo forever and it would have no meaning coming from him.

Agree, I think the NFL owners have final say on the state of the team once it's put up for sale.

There is one, and only one way that the Bills remain in Buffalo after Ralph passes (or eventually decides to sell), and that is someone with alot of money buys them to keep them in Buffalo. Otherwise, what else can you do? If the State forces the new owners to have to keep the team in Buffalo, they will still need someone locally to step in and buy them, probably for much less then what Ralphs family could get for the team (which could lead to Ralphs heirs having a case against the State). If enough roadblocks are put in place, and theres no one locally that could by the team, the league and Ralphs family could end up being forced to fold the franchise as a last resort, then the league can replace them with an expansion team in LA to even out the number of teams again.

Unless Schumers announcement is that he (or NY State) have a deal in place to purchase the Bills from Ralph, this is just some political grandstanding to try and buy votes for the next election. It doesn't seem like its anything thats more then him giving his thoughts on how to keep the team here when the Bills front office isn't a part of this.

My guess, considering the Bills organization seems to be ignorant of this, is that its going to be an "outline" for what he "wants" to do to keep the Bills here. I doubt we'll get any serious news. Maybe a flowchart here or there talking about strengthening regional ties...but I seriously doubt we'll get any concrete news from this.

Yeah, I agree. The Bills, the county executive and the governor all seem to be in the dark. And while Schumer might have plans about what he would like to do legislatively as a senator, he hasn't done anything yet. Schumer - unless he just purchased the Bills - is not someone who can unilaterally guarantee that the Bills will stay in Buffalo. Anything he proposes will need the support of others who don't seem to know what he's up to.

Something to keep in mind, fellow TSWers.

Chuck Schumer is NOT up for re-election this cycle. He's locked-and-loaded until 2016. Kristin Gillibrand is up for re-election this cycle. I'm a little surprised she's not trying to elbow that cute little nose into the spot light.

Something to keep in mind, fellow TSWers.

Chuck Schumer is NOT up for re-election this cycle. He's locked-and-loaded until 2016. Kristin Gillibrand is up for re-election this cycle. I'm a little surprised she's not trying to elbow that cute little nose into the spot light.

Exactly. I get the whole "most dangerous place is between him and a camera" jokes, which have already been made about every politician in the history of politics. And that some people think he is pointless, irrelevant and don't agree with his politics. Fine, you don't like him. When I lived in NY, I didn't vote for him either.

But for those of us who live in the real world, we have a sense that this sounds like it MIGHT be a little bit more than pointless grandstanding. Notice I said "might". I don't pretend to know for sure, but it's odd for a US Senator to make a special trip to Buffalo to presumably say something about the longterm future of the Bills on the same day the commissioner of the NFL is in town. Along with all the rumblings we have heard about things going on behind the curtain in recent weeks and months. Something is up.

We'll certainly know more in a few hours.

Edited by jimmyo

Didn't someone say Goodell is in town too? If so, that sounds like a little bit more than coincidence to me. Schumer isn't up for reelection this year, so it's not like he needs the publicity at the moment.

Goodell is in the area because he's speaking at the Chautauqua Institute.

Edited by biglukes

Exactly. I get the whole "most dangerous place is between him and a camera" jokes, which have already been made about every politician in the history of politics. And that some people think he is pointless, irrelevant and don't agree with his politics. Fine, you don't like him. When I lived in NY, I didn't vote for him either.

But for those of us who live in the real world, we have a sense that this sounds like it MIGHT be a little bit more than pointless grandstanding. Notice I said "might". I don't pretend to know for sure, but it's odd for a US Senator to make a special trip to Buffalo to presumably say something about the longterm future of the Bills on the same day the commissioner of the NFL is in town. Along with all the rumblings we have heard about things going on behind the curtain in recent weeks and months. Something is up.

couldn't have said it any better Jimmy. Well done.

I'd rather take the $200 million estimate on renovation and put in another $175-200 million and build a new stadium. Teams with new stadiums are secure teams.

Unfortunately 500 mil wouldn't get it done in N.Y. Too much govn. graft and union power.

I'd rather take the $200 million estimate on renovation and put in another $175-200 million and build a new stadium. Teams with new stadiums are secure teams.

yeah, um.... You'd still be short anywhere from 300-600 million dollars.

The world where a state senator has the power to be able to control what happens to a private business after its owner passes away and can prevent it from leaving the area?

I wouldn't hold your breathe that it will be anymore then him saying that he will do whatever he can to keep the team in Buffalo, and if Goodell is there, him saying that the league will do whatever it can to help keep them where they are

That all depends on what you build and where you build it. Maybe Schumer is here to announce that they have found some land that is being given to the team to build a new stadium on?

The world where a state senator has the power to be able to control what happens to a private business after its owner passes away and can prevent it from leaving the area?

I wouldn't hold your breathe that it will be anymore then him saying that he will do whatever he can to keep the team in Buffalo, and if Goodell is there, him saying that the league will do whatever it can to help keep them where they are

Well, he's actually a US Senator, the senior senator from a major state who has a tremendous amount of clout in a federal government that grants the NFL antitrust exemptions. So you think he's flying up to Buffalo and holding a press conference simply to say "Bills good. Chuck want Bills to stay in Buffalo."?

In a couple hours, at least one of us is going to be wrong. :)

Edited by jimmyo

Well, he's actually a US Senator, the senior senator from a major state who has a tremendous amount of clout in a federal government that grants the NFL antitrust exemptions. So you think he's flying up to Buffalo and holding a press conference simply to say "Bills good. Chuck want Bills to stay in Buffalo."?

In a couple hours, at least one of us is going to be wrong. :)

Or he doesn't show up and both of you are wrong.

I thought that too.... but Phoenix's stadium was only about $450 million to build. Heinz field in Pittsburgh was only $281 Million to build in 2001 - which would equate to about $350 million now. Its less crazy than I thought it would be.....