Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

That all depends on what you build and where you build it. Maybe Schumer is here to announce that they have found some land that is being given to the team to build a new stadium on?

Maybe that's it, the Bills are being relocated, to the Adirondacks!

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Historic-deal-in-Adirondacks-3764061.php

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's actually a US Senator, the senior senator from a major state who has a tremendous amount of clout in a federal government that grants the NFL antitrust exemptions. So you think he's flying up to Buffalo and holding a press conference simply to say "Bills good. Chuck want Bills to stay in Buffalo."?

In a couple hours, at least one of us is going to be wrong. :)

and it's also been said that anti-trust is not an issue in the Bills' moving case, never mind that Shumer has no say on his own on any legislation items, and NFL anti-trust is probably issue #559,094,291 for the Hill to tackle.

The world where a state senator has the power to be able to control what happens to a private business after its owner passes away and can prevent it from leaving the area?

I wouldn't hold your breathe that it will be anymore then him saying that he will do whatever he can to keep the team in Buffalo, and if Goodell is there, him saying that the league will do whatever it can to help keep them where they are

That all depends on what you build and where you build it. Maybe Schumer is here to announce that they have found some land that is being given to the team to build a new stadium on?

I can't comment reguarding the power of Schumer or any other politician claiming plans to keep the team in place. But I agree with Jimmy regarding the fact that Senetors don't just come to little town Buffalo the same day the Commissioner of the league is in town or close enough to be in town in an hour. It just seems like it may be more than what all th pessimists are saying.

As far as building stadiums I don't think $500 million(and the comment I made was actually about 375m not 500m) even gets you close to building a new age stadium in the NFL in these times. The state could give you as much land as you want for free but you'd still have to spend close to a quarter billion dollars to build the actual structure.

I thought that too.... but Phoenix's stadium was only about $450 million to build. Heinz field in Pittsburgh was only $281 Million to build in 2001 - which would equate to about $350 million now. Its less crazy than I thought it would be.....

ok. Wow. Maybe I'm wrong. I thought the Pitt stadium was at the $500m+ pricetag and the Arizona stadium was closer to $750m. I still don't think the stadiums being built now days with the shopping centers and restaurants and other ammenities really can be done for less than a quarter billion and that's what we would want and need if it were to be downtown.

Edit: FWIW, Lucas Oil Stadium was $720m ($777m in 2012 dollars)

the poin is there are some cheaper ones and some more expensive like Dallas but the average of the ones more recently built falls into the over $500m range would be my guess.

Edited by mrags

I can't comment reguarding the power of Schumer or any other politician claiming plans to keep the team in place. But I agree with Jimmy regarding the fact that Senetors don't just come to little town Buffalo the same day the Commissioner of the league is in town or close enough to be in town in an hour. It just seems like it may be more than what all th pessimists are saying.

If it were any other Senator, maybe.

But when it's the one Senator with a consistent record of staging press conferences to announce nothing of substance, then there's reason for scepticism. Especially, when the team and county officials have no idea of what he's talking about.

As far as building stadiums I don't think $500 million(and the comment I made was actually about 375m not 500m) even gets you close to building a new age stadium in the NFL in these times. The state could give you as much land as you want for free but you'd still have to spend close to a quarter billion dollars to build the actual structure.

I have been looking at numbers here at work all day, but isn't a quarter billion dollars actually 250 million?

less than a quarter billion

So 250 million then???

I think that IF a new stadium were built it needs to have a rail hub integrated into it so folks from across the state would have easier access. Also, people from Canada could access the stadium that way as well. Taking the train is the BEST way to get a stadium and I do it whenever possible. No driving, no parking, no traffic. Schumer does have some influence over transportation funds and that is one of the few things (for me) that would make sense about locating a stadium downtown.

Putting it downtown makes it more expensive no doubt and I feel like there would be tremendous pressure to make it a retractable dome which drives up the cost even higher. We need to look to Baltimore for guidance rather than Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh's stadium is right ont he waterfront and we don't want that in Buffalo. Baltimore has the stadium downtown, adjacent to the baseball stadium, near rail access. It's a compliment to the Downtown/Inner Harbor area, not a dominating piece of it that ties up acreage with the structure and scads of parking right on the water.

The area next to FnC seems about right but there'd need to be access improvements (but we want those anyway). Borders would be Illinois St, Michigan Ave., Scott St. and South Park Ave. We could use the stadium project as the conduit to get state and federal transportation monies to get our new bridge to the outer harbor as well as improvements to Ohio St. and access to and from the 190 to that part of town which will help development down there in general.

http://www.wgrz.com/...opnews|bc|large

Very interesting!

F5 all day on my phone at work tomorrow!

UPDATE:

Also, Goodell will be in WNY on Wednesday as well at another event in the morning. Does he show up with Schumer at OBD in the afternoon?

[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.buffalone...ticle991234.ece

Awesome post, Flap. Thanks for digging up all that info and connecting the dots. However, Im not sure there is much to get excited about. This kind of looks like nothing more than a media play by a politician.

Should be interesting for us Bills fan, either way. But he cant make us any real promises.

This is a thread about the Schumer's "plans" to keep the Bills in Buffalo. If you want to introduce unrelated political foolishness, I suggest you take it to PPP where it belongs.

Please keep it out of here because most folks don't want to read your partisan rantings and they are not welcome in this forum.

Thank you for your help and consideration.

This is a thread about the Schumer's "plans" to keep the Bills in Buffalo. If you want to introduce unrelated political foolishness, I suggest you take it to PPP where it belongs.

Please keep it out of here because most folks don't want to read your partisan rantings and they are not welcome in this forum.

Yeah.

and it's also been said that anti-trust is not an issue in the Bills' moving case, never mind that Shumer has no say on his own on any legislation items, and NFL anti-trust is probably issue #559,094,291 for the Hill to tackle.

Well unfortunately for the NFL, Issue #559,094,290 was the MLB steroid case, and Congress sure had hearings about that.

And who says anti-trust isn't an issue? In the American Needle case, the Supreme Court recently said the NFL operates as a cartel and is subject to anti-trust legislation.

Also, individual senators have INSANE powers (filibustering for one). See what Ted Stevens delivered for Alaska, one of the least populous states. All Schumer has to do is call for a repeal of Public Law 89-800. And, provided the Dems hold the Senate, guess who is going to be the Chairman of the Senate's Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights?

Charles Schumer, D-NY.

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk

Well, he's actually a US Senator, the senior senator from a major state who has a tremendous amount of clout in a federal government that grants the NFL antitrust exemptions. So you think he's flying up to Buffalo and holding a press conference simply to say "Bills good. Chuck want Bills to stay in Buffalo."?

In a couple hours, at least one of us is going to be wrong. :)

Ask yourself what will happen if the NFL's antitrust exemption disappeared tomorrow. Next ask yourself which Senator wants to introduce the bill that will bring about those changes in the NFL. Then count up how many votes you think this bill would get in the Senate. Next do the same for the House.

Or you can skip it and accept that it could never happen---and none of us would ever want it to for obvious reasons.

And what in the world does this have to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo??

Edited by Mr. WEO

Well unfortunately for the NFL, Issue #559,094,290 was the MLB steroid case, and Congress sure had hearings about that.

And who says anti-trust isn't an issue? In the American Needle case, the Supreme Court recently said the NFL operates as a cartel and is subject to anti-trust legislation.

Also, individual senators have INSANE powers (filibustering for one). For one, see what Ted Stevens delivered for Alaska. All Schumer has to do is call for a repeal of Public Law 89-800. And, provided the Dems hold the Senate, guess who is going to be the Chairman of the Senate's Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights?

Charles Schumer, D-NY.

Precisely. You're obviously well-informed and put that way better than I could have.

And what in the world does this have to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo??

The NFL losing the antitrust exemption is not going to help keep the Bills in Buffalo per se, it's just a threat to the NFL to make sure the team stays here. The players did the same thing - threatened to bring a lawsuit in regard to the anti-competitive behavior of the NFL, and the new CBA represents a settlement to keep that case out of the courts. (at least that's what wikipedia taught me? I'm not exactly lawyer material)

Edited by OvrOfficiousJerk