Backup QB - Matt Moore?

Booger

Look, hoping that either VY or TT step up and can become a solid #2....but if continue to look lost I would not mind keeping an eye on the Miami situation with the hopes of Moore becoming available. I liked him down here in Carolina and think he would fit in nicely with what the Bills are trying to do.

Granted VY has proven throughout his career to be a head case, but if he's still trying to pick up the offense now, I wonder if they'd feel even less comfortable bringing in a guy to be the backup who wouldn't be signed any sooner than a week before the opener. Best case scenario is obviously we never need the backup; but at this point it might be better off going with one of the guys who have been here all offseason. I doubt Moore gets cut though. If anyone does I'd think it would be Garrard.

I think we're stuck with Thigpen & VY until the end of the season. My hope is the Nix & Co either draft a backup QB, or get a solid backup in FA.

I would rather see Vince Young receive a chance to take over the starting job BEFORE I waste a draft pick. But that's just my me. :unsure:

Edited by HOUSE

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the backup QB job as important as I once did. The Bills are pretty much like everyone else, including the defending SB champions- if they lose their starting QB for more than a game or two, things are probably sunk for the season. There's no way to keep a player who could start and win games as a backup these days. You're really just trying to get a decent game or two from your backup. In the Bills case you just hope that your defense and running game can deliver a win in those one or two games.

To begin with, I really have liked Moore in the games I've seen him play. He looks like he has all the tools necessary - and, really, there are more than a few QB's vying for backup jobs who don't have ALL the tools, but who only excel at some things.

But, as was mentioned, it looks unlikely that Gailey would bring in a QB as backup now, since the system takes so long to learn. Thigpen couldn't have been better last year - one full season and an offseason less experience, and Gailey was willing to go into the season with him as backup. They've shown a willingness to rely on incapable backups.

But, on the other hand, backup QB is definitely a position of need, as in we don't have a player who has actually proven he can succeed in this system. So, if Nix or Whaley spotted a QB on the market who could be had for the right price, and who would undoubtedly be an upgrade, then I could easily see Nix pulling the trigger, and if the guy wasn't ready until next year, or the end of this year, the guy would still be an upgrade.

So, yeah - I think the right guy could have a shot at being picked up, but, considering we have Vince Young here, with all he's accomplished, I think the QB in question would have to be the perfect type - probably not so well recognized and respected that it'd potentially create a controversy, but definitely good enough to win. Matt Moore sounds like that type of QB to me.

I would rather see Vince Young receive a chance to take over the starting job BEFORE I waste a draft pick. But that's just my me. :unsure:

Really? IDK what you see that I don't because I thought VY has sucked since I saw him play at Texas. Fitz isn't the greatest QB in the world but he is light years better than Young, and it's not even close.

Look, hoping that either VY or TT step up and can become a solid #2....but if continue to look lost I would not mind keeping an eye on the Miami situation with the hopes of Moore becoming available. I liked him down here in Carolina and think he would fit in nicely with what the Bills are trying to do.

Please explain to me why Miami would even consider trading Moore to Buffalo? He's good enough to not get cut, and, if they were to trade him, it wouldn't be to a divisional rival.

Really? IDK what you see that I don't because I thought VY has sucked since I saw him play at Texas. Fitz isn't the greatest QB in the world but he is light years better than Young, and it's not even close.

Its still a matter of giving a 2 time Pro bowler a shot. What if Young goes elsewhere and plays much better then Buffalo's drafted Quarterback ?

Are you willing to wait on another developmental quarterback? Losman & Edwards got us nowhere and wasted 5 years.

Buffalo will most likely draft mid round or worse so the answer isn't likely next season

Just for the record, I AM NOT a Vince Young fan. Fitz will do well this season....

Edited by HOUSE

1344219684[/url]' post='2522213']

He sucked at Texas, for sure.....

Its still a matter of giving a 2 time Pro bowler a shot. What if Young goes elsewhere and plays much better then Buffalo's drafted Quarterback ?

Are you willing to wait on another developmental quarterback? Losman & Edwards got us nowhere and wasted 5 years.

Buffalo will most likely draft mid round or worse so the answer isn't likely next season

Just for the record, I AM NOT a Vince Young fan.

What if! what if!

Isn't it obvious to you? Why isn't VY in Tennessee or Philly anymore? Really doubt he will amount to anything. Have my doubts he is going to stick here in Buffalo more than this year, if he can even make the roster this year.

If he was all that, he wouldn't be competing for Buffalo's back up position, he would be somewhere else competing for a starting position.

Sorry, but for now and the next couple of years, i'll take the guy that throws for almost 4000 yards and about 25 TD per year, both top 1/3 of the league.

Could the Bills do better than Fitz? Sure they could, but VY is not the answer no matter how you slice it.

if chan decides to keep thigpen then then will run the same offense and just plan on a lower compl pcent and fewer big plays, trying to win by not making big mistakes and playing tough d

if they keep young then they wont run the same offense, they will take whatever young has shown he can execute and scrap the rest in favor of a traditional play action pass offense. from there you try to keep young from his typical dumb mistakes and tell him to run when he thinks he can pick up yardage

either way should be sufficient to be competitive for a couple games. but i agree with vince in the sense that you usually can only expect a couple of games from a backup and if you need more than that youre likely screwed. its just about impossible to keep two starting capable qbs on the same team anymore. so the only way chan dumps both veteran backups already here for somebody else is if they both get hurt

i also agree that moore is the best qb on the fish roster. i wouldnt be surprised to see him end up starting most of the games after the others bomb out

Nix and the scouting department are always looking over the waver wire. If someone is out there that can improve the team I have no doubt Nix will pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind Matt Moore on the team. He would be the perfect back up if he plays like he did at the end of the year all of the time.

He's busy fumbling his chance to be a competent backup away, and you want to give him the keys to the kingdom?

Not sure if serious ...

Young with his legs alone gives us a better chance to win than Thigpen. If Fitz goes down, we are going to RUN RUN RUN the ball. what better way to do that than with VY, FJ, CJ. dont be confused, i dont think VY is a starter, or even the best option at #2. this is only relevant because i have seen Thigpen play. hes awful!!! wheres Van Pelt when you need him lol

Haha. How's Jimmy Clausen doing these days? Still mad that Buffalo didn't use their 1st round pick on him? :oops: Just give up, admit you were terribly, terribly wrong, and send me my beer. :beer:

Clausen is on the same team and backs up the best young QB in the game. Now LeFevour, the guy that you were clamoring for, is on his 4th team in two years and has yet to make a gameday roster. What exactly were the terms of our bet? If Cam goes down and Clausen steps in and plays well, I believe a delicious case of Sams Octoberfest is coming my way.

Btw, Clausen would've been a WAYYYYYYY better pick than that big fat tub O GOO Troupe!

Matt Moore will start for Miami all this season until they are out of it, same time frame as Buffalo.

Moore is already better than Fitzpatrick, his numbers don't lie, there is no possible way anyone can look at numbers and wins and losses and not say Moore is better than Fitz.

Matt Moore will start for Miami all this season until they are out of it, same time frame as Buffalo.

Moore is already better than Fitzpatrick, his numbers don't lie, there is no possible way anyone can look at numbers and wins and losses and not say Moore is better than Fitz.

OMG! :wallbash:

Good morning, Troll.

OMG! :wallbash:

Fitz is 18-33-1 on bad teams as a starter, with a 75 QB rating, 68 TDs and 65 INTs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

Moore is 13-12 on bad teams as a starter, with a 80 QB rating, and 32 TDs and 26 INTs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

Moore was significantly better than Fitz last year, and it was his first time with really extended starts, he is trending upwards and Fitz obviously downwards. Moore had an 87 QB rating last year, and Fitz had a 79.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Clausen is on the same team and backs up the best young QB in the game. Now LeFevour, the guy that you were clamoring for, is on his 4th team in two years and has yet to make a gameday roster. What exactly were the terms of our bet? If Cam goes down and Clausen steps in and plays well, I believe a delicious case of Sams Octoberfest is coming my way.

Btw, Clausen would've been a WAYYYYYYY better pick than that big fat tub O GOO Troupe!

Maybe they can sign TO too and win a Super Bowl.

PTR

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the backup QB job as important as I once did. The Bills are pretty much like everyone else, including the defending SB champions- if they lose their starting QB for more than a game or two, things are probably sunk for the season. There's no way to keep a player who could start and win games as a backup these days. You're really just trying to get a decent game or two from your backup. In the Bills case you just hope that your defense and running game can deliver a win in those one or two games.

Yea good thing the Rams lost Trent Green, Packers lost Don Majkowski, and the Pats lost Drew Bledsoe. They completely lost their season when Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady took over. :rolleyes:

Edited by FleaMoulds80

Fitz is 18-33-1 on bad teams as a starter, with a 75 QB rating, 68 TDs and 65 INTs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

Moore is 13-12 on bad teams as a starter, with a 80 QB rating, and 32 TDs and 26 INTs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorMa01.htm

Moore was significantly better than Fitz last year, and it was his first time with really extended starts, he is trending upwards and Fitz obviously downwards. Moore had an 87 QB rating last year, and Fitz had a 79.

Only a moron would think (W-L) records indicate the ability of a QB. No one can possibly be that obtuse.

Last year, the backup QB could have played a very important role for this team if they had one that they had any confidence in. The Bills lost seven straight games with an injured Ryan Fitzpatrick because they didn't have enough confidence in Thigpen to let him start. They need VY to step up and grasp this offense, just in case they need him.

1) Clausen is their 3rd string QB and didn't even dress for most games. So in that case, he's the exact same as Troupe.

2) Classy making fun of a guy with a back problem. At least Troupe has an injury excuse. Clausen has a "suck as NFL QB" excuse.

3) You don't see the difference between you wanting to draft Clausen in the 1st and calling the Bills out on it than me wanting to draft Lefeveour in the 4th as a development QB?

4) Maybin just led the Jets in sacks. I don't miss him at all but it's worth noting.

I like you man but just admit you were wrong. You just look foolish otherwise. :thumbsup:

1) Clausen is their 3rd string QB and didn't even dress for most games. So in that case, he's the exact same as Troupe.

2) Classy making fun of a guy with a back problem. At least Troupe has an injury excuse. Clausen has a "suck as NFL QB" excuse.

3) You don't see the difference between you wanting to draft Clausen in the 1st and calling the Bills out on it than me wanting to draft Lefeveour in the 4th as a development QB?

4) Maybin just led the Jets in sacks. I don't miss him at all but it's worth noting.

I like you man but just admit you were wrong. You just look foolish otherwise. :thumbsup:

1) Is Clausen's career over? He came out as a true junior so he's still very young. I'll pay my debts when the bet is won.

2)I love how you always pull the "classy" card. I make fun of you all the time and you're obviously disabled in some way. :lol:

3)I wanted Clausen in the second. Get your facts straight. About LeFevour, you saw the guy play once and hung up posters on your wall.

4)Maybin was a complete joke here and will never be an every down player. The Jets cut him before last season too. He had 10 tackles and 6 sacks and that is what you are "noting"?

It's not about me admitting that I'm wrong, it's about me believing that he can play. Certainly to this point he's been non existent but so were a lot of QBs at this point in their careers.

Go paint your own house. But wear a mask because you don't want the fumes making it worse for you.

Only a moron would think (W-L) records indicate the ability of a QB. No one can possibly be that obtuse.

That is utterly rediculous to say. Everyone knows the QB is all that matters. If the bills had a QB like Flacco they would be peranial playoff contenders.

I was going to say Manning or Roethlesberger but they can't seem to string winning seasons together. Wierd even though it's the same guy, one year they win it all, the next year they don't even get in post season.

Id even settle for just one amazing season like TJ Yates, Tebow and Alex Smith had last year....

Let's go trade Mario, Kyle and Darius for Yates.

On a less sarcastic note. I love the phins Tanninhill pick, I feel it will do for them what Rob Johnson did for buffalo.

That is utterly rediculous to say. Everyone knows the QB is all that matters. If the bills had a QB like Flacco they would be peranial playoff contenders.

I was going to say Manning or Roethlesberger but they can't seem to string winning seasons together. Wierd even though it's the same guy, one year they win it all, the next year they don't even get in post season.

Id even settle for just one amazing season like TJ Yates, Tebow and Alex Smith had last year....

Let's go trade Mario, Kyle and Darius for Yates.

On a less sarcastic note. I love the phins Tanninhill pick, I feel it will do for them what Rob Johnson did for buffalo.

You had me for a minute. Well played!

1) Is Clausen's career over? He came out as a true junior so he's still very young. I'll pay my debts when the bet is won.

2)I love how you always pull the "classy" card. I make fun of you all the time and you're obviously disabled in some way. :lol:

3)I wanted Clausen in the second. Get your facts straight. About LeFevour, you saw the guy play once and hung up posters on your wall.

4)Maybin was a complete joke here and will never be an every down player. The Jets cut him before last season too. He had 10 tackles and 6 sacks and that is what you are "noting"?

It's not about me admitting that I'm wrong, it's about me believing that he can play. Certainly to this point he's been non existent but so were a lot of QBs at this point in their careers.

Clausen got held back twice by his parents to get an athletic advantage in sports. He had a private QB coach since he was a kid. He peaked in high school!!!Seriously, he was worse than JP Losman.

I seriously doubt Chan Gailey would switch directions unless one of our top 2 backups seriously BOMBED

Thigpen has bombed since the day he became a Buffalo Bill -- both in preseason and in limited action spelling Fitz. I understand loyalty -- to a point -- but methinks the only reason he's still around is his past ties to Gailey.

And that's not a valid reason, imho.

BA

Thigpen has bombed since the day he became a Buffalo Bill -- both in preseason and in limited action spelling Fitz. I understand loyalty -- to a point -- but methinks the only reason he's still around is his past ties to Gailey.

And that's not a valid reason, imho.

BA

OR, is he around because NO OTHER qb has ties with Gailey?

Get a friggin room ferchrissakes