FA Safety Jim Leonhard Visiting Bills

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wasn't he injured pretty good more recently?

edit doh!

Nix said they are thinking of adding one, lets hope Jim is fully recovered willing to work cheaply and ready for some football! that would be some garaavy

Edited by 3rdand12

As backup depth, he'd be a fine pickup.

As I remember 'Lil Oppie during his time here, he was always a step away from making a play. That may have been the passive nature of Jauron's defense (think "punt catcher"), however.

After a few years of playing the more agressive schemes in Baltimore and New Jersey, he may have learned a thing or two...

That's just weird. I made a list of our final roster a couple of days ago and I had Leonhard on it.

2012 Buffalo Bills

My projected 53 man roster 

QB (3)

Fitzpatrick

Young

Smith

RB (4)

Jackson 

Spiller 

Choice

McIntyre

WR (6)

Johnson

Jones

Nelson

Graham

Easley

Hagan

TE (3)

Chandler

Smith

Dickerson

OL (10)

Glenn

Levitre

Wood

Urbik

Pears

Hairston

Young

Rhinehart

Sanders

Sanborn

DL(9)

Williams

Anderson

Kelsay

Merrimen

Dareus

Williams

Edwards 

Heard 

Carrington

LB (7)

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

Carder

Moats 

Bradham

DB (9)

Williams

Gilmore

Byrd

Williams

Brooks

McKelvin

Rogers

Searcy

Leonhard

K/P(2)

Lindell

Moorman

as a backup if hes healthy sure I still don't understand the love affair with the guy though. He was awful when he was here. Consistenly behind in coverage and slow to react, and the only reason he ever started with the ravens is cause Dawan Landry was hurt. He wasn't all that good with the Jets either. Not bad for a depth player. As a special teams player for the Bills he's kind of useless. He's not gonna be a punt returner here. He's a ok tackler in the run game when he keeps the play infront of him. In coverage a liability.

Edited by Stealth

Omg!!! Way Would espn be able to say about him and the Bills if we picked him up? For years I've read and heard nothing it straight man lobe for Leonard as he was on the Jets and the Ravens. I wonder if they change thier tunes and downplay him of Biffalo picks him up or if they continue to praise the Bills for making great offseason moves.

Fwiw I personally rhino he would be a fine backup but that's about it as he's been dinges up as of recent.

As backup depth, he'd be a fine pickup.

As I remember 'Lil Oppie during his time here, he was always a step away from making a play. That may have been the passive nature of Jauron's defense (think "punt catcher"), however.

After a few years of playing the more agressive schemes in Baltimore and New Jersey, he may have learned a thing or two...

My view of that exact situation is that Jim Leonhard stinks if he is asked to play a regular safety position with a regular or bad defense like he played on the Bills. He was terrible on the Bills, which is why they released him, not that they were wrong about him. He is not fast or big enough, he doesn't cover or tackle all that great. The only situation where he is good is where, like on the Raven teams and the early Jet teams, Leonhard is the 11th best player on that defense, and can just roam back there and use his very good instincts and his very good knack for the ball or the surprise hit because he isn't going to be the guy relied upon to do the primary coverage or make the primary tackle or hit.

But he can be very effective when in that role on that kind of team. And he was effective on the Ravens and the first year or two on the Jets.

The great thing about that is, I actually wouldn't mind him on the team, because this year for the very first time this century, the Bills have the kind of defense that Jim Leonhard can excel on.

My view of that exact situation is that Jim Leonhard stinks if he is asked to play a regular safety position with a regular or bad defense like he played on the Bills. He was terrible on the Bills, which is why they released him, not that they were wrong about him. He is not fast or big enough, he doesn't cover or tackle all that great. The only situation where he is good is where, like on the Raven teams and the early Jet teams, Leonhard is the 11th best player on that defense, and can just roam back there and use his very good instincts and his very good knack for the ball or the surprise hit because he isn't going to be the guy relied upon to do the primary coverage or make the primary tackle or hit.

But he can be very effective when in that role on that kind of team. And he was effective on the Ravens and the first year or two on the Jets.

The great thing about that is, I actually wouldn't mind him on the team, because this year for the very first time this century, the Bills have the kind of defense that Jim Leonhard can excel on.

Concur.

You stick anyone next to Ed Reed, they'll be pretty good.

A post I can 100% support.

You guys are crazy. Leonard wasn't a great FS for the Bills, but he was a very good ST player and I thought he played very well as the starting FS for the Jets. He's the kind of guy who's always around the ball.

He would be a quality add for the Bills this year both as a backup FS who has actually started in the NFL and as a ST player. This is a no brainer!!

Since the Bills view B. Scott as a coverage LB only this year they need another quality safety in someone gets injured.

Leonard is a high character guy who can help us.

You guys are crazy. Leonard wasn't a great FS for the Bills, but he was a very good ST player and I thought he played very well as the starting FS for the Jets. He's the kind of guy who's always around the ball.

He would be a quality add for the Bills this year both as a backup FS who has actually started in the NFL and as a ST player. This is a no brainer!!

Since the Bills view B. Scott as a coverage LB only this year they need another quality safety in someone gets injured.

Leonard is a high character guy who can help us.

Exactly, this team is far from complete depth wise. As a quality depth player he would help. His price is probably reasonable and his work ethic is unquestioned.