FA Safety Jim Leonhard Visiting Bills

as a backup if hes healthy sure I still don't understand the love affair with the guy though. He was awful when he was here. Consistenly behind in coverage and slow to react, and the only reason he ever started with the ravens is cause Dawan Landry was hurt. He wasn't all that good with the Jets either. Not bad for a depth player. As a special teams player for the Bills he's kind of useless. He's not gonna be a punt returner here. He's a ok tackler in the run game when he keeps the play infront of him. In coverage a liability.

I always thought Leon-hard was a good player.

I always said he was another Mark Kelso without Kelso's supporting cast. They guy is undersized but as has been pointed out has good instincts and decent range.

I rarely remember him getting beaten in the passing game and at any rate, he's a helluva lot better in coverage than Dwan Landry. Landry is a great run player but a huge liability in coverage. THAT GUY does PEDs and it's made him too clunky to be an athlete… same problem Tebow's gonna have if he keeps bulking up.

I know I'm changing the subject here but when was the last time a good QB physically looked like Tebow?

Answer: Never.

As another aside, have you ever seen these body builder types try to throw a football around on the beach? Freaking pitiful.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely remember him getting beaten in the passing game

Probably because he was lined up 40 yards off the LOS in Dick's 'bend and bend some more' D-scheme.

It would take him about 20 seconds to run from somewhere approximately on Abbott Road to the wideout catching the ball in front of him...

Edited by Lurker

I'm not a fan of high-motor midgets playing on D, not at all.... but I will give Leonhard some credit, he did show a lot of heart. I remember when he filled in for Lil Donte & there was no noticeable drop-off, in fact he was actually in on some plays. The FA S > the #8 pick in the draft, thanks Marv.:thumbdown:

That being said, I would have to pass right now.

Probably because he was lined up 40 yards off the LOS in Dick's 'bend and bend some more' D-scheme.

It would take him about 20 seconds to run from somewhere approximately on Abbott Road to the wideout catching the ball in front of him...

Maybe, in which case it wasn't necessarily Leon-hard's fault.

Also I seem to remember he had great range in fielding punts so that has probably given me the impression right or wrong, that he has good range.

Like I said, I remember the guy as being a really good athlete… just a bit small.

And people have always raved about his attitude and intelligence.

The Bills could do worse for a 4th safety than Leon-hard.

i am sure i am on ignore lists but, if he is healthy(recovered) and cheap i said..Bills say they want another safety. i would guess it's behind Byrd. We dont need special teamers right now. and he may have too much wear and tear to consider him for that.

Homer pick. no offense meant.

okay now i am on ignore list :devil:

I think his experience with top-flight defenses (obv not DJ's) might give him a little extra value. Maybe he can add a little veteran leadership to the younger DBs.

And you can't have enough high-character guys on the squad.

That's just weird. I made a list of our final roster a couple of days ago and I had Leonhard on it.

2012 Buffalo Bills

My projected 53 man roster 

LB (7)

Barnett

Sheppard

Morrison

Carder

Moats 

Bradham

DB (9)

Williams

Gilmore

Byrd

Williams

Brooks

McKelvin

Rogers

Searcy

Leonhard

K/P(2)

Lindell

Moorman

I assume one of the Williams is a wilson. Decent roster...

Sounds like Lindell could be in trouble, Scott may stick as that hybrid safety/lb for dime and nickel, and McGee might hold on as a 6th cb...

Guys he tore his patellar tendon in Dec 2011. He will be lucky to be able to jog by November. Very little if any chance he plays with any team in 2012. Even if healthy I don't see a role for him. He is not needed for ST's as a returner or a gunner. He will not beat out Searcy for back-up playing time or three safety packages. With Scott being able to play both OLB and SS and both Wilson and Searcy being able to play SS and FS I don't see a need for another safety. I would rather keep an extra DB even if it is a less than 100% McGee.

Interesting to me is that I just read somewhere (I think Chris Brown's blog… maybe TG's) that Brian Scott no longer sits in the DB meetings… he sits in the linebacker meetings.

I don't think we would have extended him if we didn't have a plan and need even not could.ting the draft.

Maybe, in which case it wasn't necessarily Leon-hard's fault.

Also I seem to remember he had great range in fielding punts so that has probably given me the impression right or wrong, that he has good range.

Like I said, I remember the guy as being a really good athlete… just a bit small.

And people have always raved about his attitude and intelligence.

I agree that he'd be a good reliable guy at 4. You'd never get that deer in headlights moment.

As for range - while a smart first step, and good read is obviously the biggest thing for a center fielder - if matched up against this years draft class he would've been tied for second slowest safety at the combine (free or strong) and has likely lost a step with this injury.

If down to our 4th safety I like a heady vet like JL.... But athletically he's VERY limited.'

29 years old (30 come October) familiar with the franchise and has been pretty successful after an unsuccessful stint with the Bills (Jim Leonhard was ranked by football prospectus now football outsiders as one of the worst starters at any defensive position during the 2007 season, can't blame the Bills for letting that walk) he found success with Baltimore and the Jets.

The Bills are thin at safety with Scott being a flex linebacker type. Which mean Searcy is our only real backup, I think that signing Leohnard would be a good move, bring him into camp and see if he fits the scheme. If not you can always convert a CB to the backup FS spot.

Guys he tore his patellar tendon in Dec 2011. He will be lucky to be able to jog by November. Very little if any chance he plays with any team in 2012. Even if healthy I don't see a role for him. He is not needed for ST's as a returner or a gunner. He will not beat out Searcy for back-up playing time or three safety packages. With Scott being able to play both OLB and SS and both Wilson and Searcy being able to play SS and FS I don't see a need for another safety. I would rather keep an extra DB even if it is a less than 100% McGee.

Call me crazy, but I'll let the actual, umm, doctors make that determination if and when Leonhard takes a physical. Geesh.

If the guy is healthy, there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't be good insurance as a 4th safety, plus he would be able to help the offense with respect to some of the Jets' defensive keys.

Call me crazy, but I'll let the actual, umm, doctors make that determination if and when Leonhard takes a physical. Geesh.

If the guy is healthy, there's absolutely no reason he wouldn't be good insurance as a 4th safety, plus he would be able to help the offense with respect to some of the Jets' defensive keys.

He was always a good special teamer as well.