should we make a play for Mike Wallace

Interesting development in Pittsburgh.

I'm not sure if we have the cap space to make it happen but it certainly would be interesting. He's better then Robert Meachum in my opinion and wouldn't mind sending a 2/3 for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/doubts-grow-that-mike-wallace-has-a-future-in-pittsburgh/

Edited by The Tomcat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, first consider all that's involved.

You have to select the play - or hire a playwright to write the play unless of course you're doing an adaptation of a story in which case you'll need to hire a writer or writers to adapt the story into play format. Then you have to rent a theatre, hire a director, conduct try-outs, hire the temperamental actors, hire a mostly dysfunctional staff, rent/buy/make costumes and props, run adverts in the press, and conduct interviews with the disbelieving media. I could go on, but I won't. I think you can tell that "making a play" is fraught with all sorts of issues and potential problems and costs that you simply might not have appreciated.

Well, first consider all that's involved.

You have to select the play - or hire a playwright to write the play unless of course you're doing an adaptation of a story in which case you'll need to hire a writer or writers to adapt the story into play format. Then you have to rent a theatre, hire a director, conduct try-outs, hire the temperamental actors, hire a mostly dysfunctional staff, rent/buy/make costumes and props, run adverts in the press, and conduct interviews with the disbelieving media. I could go on, but I won't. I think you can tell that "making a play" is fraught with all sorts of issues and potential problems and costs that you simply might not have appreciated.

Just so you know, I appreciated this.

Wallace is one of the best young WRs in the league. His Yards Per Reception stats are off the charts and project a huge future. He is EXACTLY what the Bills have been targeting - he's Robert Meacham plus Michael Floyd, and he's proven he can do it. He may be worth a number one (assuming it's a late number one, which it freakin' better be next year), or at least dangling a 3rd or even a 2nd, and he deserves and will get a big contract. I think they've got to consider it.

Let's put it this way - assuming the Bills pick in the 20s next year, don't you think they'll be targeting a big wideout with deep speed? Chan's had a woody for one ever since he took over (remember, they tried to trade up to get Demaryius Thomas and the Broncos beat them to the punch). Wouldn't we rather have one who has proven it?

Edited by Coach Tuesday

The Bills' O has a damn fine short and medium horizontal game. Money aside, I think a Mike Wallace type player is the piece that could make this offense dominant vertically. He has the ability to catch errant passes deep, and he's apparently the fastest player in the NFL. Would love a move like that.

COnsidering he wants fitzgerald money and IMO would cost a 1 he's not worth it. The wr position on the Bills isn't plug and play so I just don't think it would be worth it at this late of a stage.

Hell yes he is worth it. He is hands down a top 10 WR and currently the best at taking the top off an opposing defense in the NFL and he is YOUNG!

Just so you know, I appreciated this.

Wallace is one of the best young WRs in the league. His Yards Per Reception stats are off the charts and project a huge future. He is EXACTLY what the Bills have been targeting - he's Robert Meacham plus Michael Floyd, and he's proven he can do it. He may be worth a number one (assuming it's a late number one, which it freakin' better be next year), or at least dangling a 3rd or even a 2nd, and he deserves and will get a big contract. I think they've got to consider it.

Let's put it this way - assuming the Bills pick in the 20s next year, don't you think they'll be targeting a big wideout with deep speed? Chan's had a woody for one ever since he took over (remember, they tried to trade up to get Demaryius Thomas and the Broncos beat them to the punch). Wouldn't we rather have one who has proven it?

Wallace numbers are also due to the QB he plays with. Ben buys time with his ability to get away from a rush and is also a very accurate QB. I don't know if Fitz has that kind of play making abilities. May T.J. Graham becomes our Mike Wallace.

The Bills would not have to give up a R1 pick for Wallace. The longer he holds out the less leverage the Steelers will have regarding a possible trade. Since we have a plethora of WRs and the Steelers will need a WR if Wallace continues to hold out, why not offer a trade of a R3 + D. Jones for Wallace for instance??

Wallace is a game changing WR because of his ability to get deep. He's the one thing that we're missing on offense. On our team he would be the #1 WR and he would always be on the field along with St. Johnson.

The Bills' offense would be much more formidable with Wallace because he would command a double team most of the time from the deep safety, which would open up the field for the rest of our receivings/RBs.

Remember, Nix was tried to obtain veteran WRs Meachem and Manningham via FA so he obviously there is a need for a vet WR on the roster. WR and LT were two of our biggest needs prior to the draft according to Nix. Even though we have a lot of capable WRs we probably don't have two starting caliber WRs.

I think we would probably have to give up a 2nd. If we could sign him to about a 5 year 50 million dollar deal with some crafty maneuvering we could still sign byrd and levitre and then let nelson walk at the end of the season. I also love the 3rd rounder and jones because I think Jones is garbage but I don't know if they would do that. All I know is there are 2 all pro caliber wide receivers on the market (trading obviously) for much cheaper then they would be going normally and I think it would be wise to at least do our due diligence. I have been thinking a lot about the 2 Patriots games and truly how good there team can actually be. I already think that we have a better defense but if we could get wallace it would at least put our offense near there vicinity and would hopefully give us that win against them we desperately hope for. In addition against the jets we could really take the top off there defense and run more underneath stuff like fitz likes too. Oh and we probably have a top 3 rushing attack to go along with. This guy could make us a Super Bowl contender.

Yes the majority of us think he would be a good upgrade of the WRs, and if he could be had for a 2nd rounder that's in the 20's next year, would be a good bargin for a young (25 year old?) WR, but you have to consider what his contract would be on a new deal. Factor in what Buddy just said a couple days ago, about us in the future getting to a point where we will lose quality players because we just can't afford them, I don't think it's possible they trade for someone else's talent and give him money that if there, would be more deservedly be given to Byrd or Levitre, or as we all hope, both. That would take a couple bricks out of the foundation that they have been preaching about keeping their young guys and rewarding them.

I know, the Mario thing happened and to a lesser extent, the Anderson signing too, but I think they were outliers, a Mike Wallace move would be completely different, I feel.