should we make a play for Mike Wallace

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do think he is a top 25 receiver, and was the number one for Pittsburg, I would not think this would be something Bills would even consider.

Would take a minimum of a number 1 pick, and likely in the 80 mil range for contract, with large guarantee. He is mainly a deep threat, and Bills don't have a style of offense that does allot of 7 step drops or lets allot of passing plays have time to develop.

While he would be great fill for the position, he likely would see his numbers drop significantly and probably wouldnt give great return on investment because of that.

Rather than spend the money, I would rather cross my fingers and hope TJ is Mike Wallace jr.

I read a quote that said almost exactly that. I consider that a heck of a complement.

Wallace is financially out of reach this year. he will be avaialble next season after playing for the Steelers. at that point we can reassess the situation. Maybe we could use a player like him next year. Wallace is a luxury item.

Edited by 3rdand12

Well, first consider all that's involved.

You have to select the play - or hire a playwright to write the play unless of course you're doing an adaptation of a story in which case you'll need to hire a writer or writers to adapt the story into play format. Then you have to rent a theatre, hire a director, conduct try-outs, hire the temperamental actors, hire a mostly dysfunctional staff, rent/buy/make costumes and props, run adverts in the press, and conduct interviews with the disbelieving media. I could go on, but I won't. I think you can tell that "making a play" is fraught with all sorts of issues and potential problems and costs that you simply might not have appreciated.

"The play's the thing"

Money and trade balue aside, If you make the move for Wallace, you have to consider what you'd get out of him this year. He hasn't practiced or read a play book since January. It's one thing to sit out all this time and go back to Pittsburgh where he knows the offense. It's another for him to come in mid training camp and expect him to pickup a brand new, and complicated offense enough to make a big difference right away. And would a guy who doesn't run a whole lot of different routes buy in to running the whole route tree including underneath and over the middle?

Money and trade balue aside, If you make the move for Wallace, you have to consider what you'd get out of him this year. He hasn't practiced or read a play book since January. It's one thing to sit out all this time and go back to Pittsburgh where he knows the offense. It's another for him to come in mid training camp and expect him to pickup a brand new, and complicated offense enough to make a big difference right away. And would a guy who doesn't run a whole lot of different routes buy in to running the whole route tree including underneath and over the middle?

You have been paying attention haven't you?

That is the key to Chans offense right now. But if Fitz starts throwing more Birthday passes deep to TJ during the season, Gailey might change his offense and see a spot for Wallace next year. Or another player like him in the draft.

Good post biglukes

Just so you know, I appreciated this.

Wallace is one of the best young WRs in the league. His Yards Per Reception stats are off the charts and project a huge future. He is EXACTLY what the Bills have been targeting - he's Robert Meacham plus Michael Floyd, and he's proven he can do it. He may be worth a number one (assuming it's a late number one, which it freakin' better be next year), or at least dangling a 3rd or even a 2nd, and he deserves and will get a big contract. I think they've got to consider it.

Let's put it this way - assuming the Bills pick in the 20s next year, don't you think they'll be targeting a big wideout with deep speed? Chan's had a woody for one ever since he took over (remember, they tried to trade up to get Demaryius Thomas and the Broncos beat them to the punch). Wouldn't we rather have one who has proven it?

Not at 12 million a year and not one that can only run straight ahead. We had one of those guys in Lee Evans....how did that work out? And before you say that Evans is no Wallace please remember whom Evans had throwing to him vs. Wallace.

Trade away top pick(s) and break the bank for a selfish douchebag? I can't think of a worse move for the Bills.

I wouldn't call him a selfish douche bag. At least not yet. He's a premier receiver in his prime that's one injury away from losing it all & wants to guarantee he & his family will be set if that happens & right now he's looking at a sorry offer. I'm not saying we should go for him at this stage (although I've heard worse ideas) but I see no reason to denigrate the man.

evanm silva just tweeted he has heard that wallace wants VJ$(11mil a year) not fitz money(15mil) send the steelers mclovin and dwan edwards witha a second round pick conditional 1st. couch GMing haha

evanm silva just tweeted he has heard that wallace wants VJ$(11mil a year) not fitz money(15mil) send the steelers mclovin and dwan edwards witha a second round pick conditional 1st. couch GMing haha

Trading away the Bills #1 pick next year for a true #1 speed WR, #11 overall last season with 72 receptions 1,193 yards 8 TD's and a guy with 4.33 speed would be well worth it in my view. Wallace has proven himself to be a top 10 WR.

Holy cow, imagine Gan Gailey with his famous 5 WR, one back spread sets and more then one good WR!!!

With the addition of Glenn at LT the O line just might be able to give Fitz the time to throw deep, and if so this WR would be a major upgrade to the offense. Even drafting a WR #1 next year doesn't guarantee that he will ever become a top ten WR that Wallace already is. TJ Graham hasn't proven anything yet in the NFL.

Plus Wallace is better then VJ in my opinion and should be paid as much or more then VJ.

I'd say a big yes if the Bills can afford him. It would mean playoffs this year. JMHO

http://www.rotoworld...-not-fitz-money

Just so you know, I appreciated this.

Wallace is one of the best young WRs in the league. His Yards Per Reception stats are off the charts and project a huge future. He is EXACTLY what the Bills have been targeting - he's Robert Meacham plus Michael Floyd, and he's proven he can do it. He may be worth a number one (assuming it's a late number one, which it freakin' better be next year), or at least dangling a 3rd or even a 2nd, and he deserves and will get a big contract. I think they've got to consider it.

Let's put it this way - assuming the Bills pick in the 20s next year, don't you think they'll be targeting a big wideout with deep speed? Chan's had a woody for one ever since he took over (remember, they tried to trade up to get Demaryius Thomas and the Broncos beat them to the punch). Wouldn't we rather have one who has proven it?

you're making an assumption that TJ won't work out then, right?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! JESUS CHRIST.

Trade away top pick(s) and break the bank for a selfish douchebag? I can't think of a worse move for the Bills.

+1

Not to mention we virtually have the same type of player on the roster that we don't know what he can do yet in TJ Graham.

Yes the majority of us think he would be a good upgrade of the WRs, and if he could be had for a 2nd rounder that's in the 20's next year, would be a good bargin for a young (25 year old?) WR, but you have to consider what his contract would be on a new deal. Factor in what Buddy just said a couple days ago, about us in the future getting to a point where we will lose quality players because we just can't afford them, I don't think it's possible they trade for someone else's talent and give him money that if there, would be more deservedly be given to Byrd or Levitre, or as we all hope, both. That would take a couple bricks out of the foundation that they have been preaching about keeping their young guys and rewarding them.

I know, the Mario thing happened and to a lesser extent, the Anderson signing too, but I think they were outliers, a Mike Wallace move would be completely different, I feel.

this!

be careful buffaloveins, you only have one buffalo so many here wont accept your opinion as being valid.

Interestingly (to me anyways) the Steelers let go longtime OC Bruce Arians and hired Tod(d) Haley as their new OC so the Steelers are running a new offense this year.

In other words, Wallace is setting himself up for a uphill challenge if he hopes to have a big year for any team this year.