should we make a play for Mike Wallace

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could get Mike Wallace for a 2nd round pick and didn't have to pay him anymore than Stevie then I'd really want him but I'm not giving away a #1 or messing up the salary structure for a WR.

He's not available under those terms though.

If I could get Mike Wallace for a 2nd round pick and didn't have to pay him anymore than Stevie then I'd really want him but I'm not giving away a #1 or messing up the salary structure for a WR.

ESPN quoted that the Steelers offered similar deal for Wallace and was rejected immediately. The Steelers then took that contract and paid it to Antonio Brown (Similar to SJ's deal). Wallace wants Fitzgerald money (10-12M a year), not the 8-9M offered.

I don't see how the Bills are going to be able to invest so much on a 2nd WR, especially when they have to sign Byrd and Levitre this year and Wood, Urbik next year (and may be even McKelvin).

He doesn't fit what the Nixley looks for in character so I think it's safe to say...NO thank you.

It's surprising to me how many fans are willing or eager to add a douche to the team. Physically talented as he may be he also comes with baggage which some here wish to disregard. Baggage which can disrupt the growing chemistry of the team and also temporarily keep a promising wr from getting reps. How many here would be just as eager to have a douche join you as a coworker at work? Oh the fun times to be had working cohesively and effficiently with such a gentleman.

Edited by Pilsner

I wonder why Gailey wanted Meacham so badly? Perhaps he knows our wr's after Stevie are just adequate? Our Superbowl teams had a few "me first" guys on the team. Their not all boy scouts, even on this team.

Edited by The Tomcat

I wonder why Gailey wanted Meacham so badly? Perhaps he knows our wr's after Stevie are just adequate? Our Superbowl teams had a few "me first" guys on the team. Their not all boy scouts, even on this team.

Buddy said they wanted to add a vertical playmaker to the receiving corp. So they went after Meacham but couldn't land him. So they drafted TJ Graham. They wanted to add the downfield speed element. It's not really a knock on the guys they have but the recognition they wanted to add another wrinkle to the offense.

Wallace rejected a 5-year $50M deal from the Steelers because he wants at least $11M/year.

Yea, Wallace wants Vincent Jackson type money, and he should get it as he out performed Jackson. 11.5 isn't that much considering how much Jackson is getting vs the performance difference between those two players

Last years top receivers

#1)Calvin Johnson new deal 18.85 mill, 132 mill over 7 years

#2)Wes Welker, franchise tag

#3)Victor Cruz

#4)Larry Fitzgerald 15 mill

#5)Steve Smith 10.9 mill

#6) Rob Gronkowski

#7)Jimmy Graham

#8) Roddy White

#9Jordy Nelson

#10) Brandon Marshall 10 mill

#11) Mike Wallace

#16) Vincent Jackson 11.5 mill per

#19) Stevie Johnson, played hurt

The next Bills receiver on the list

#61) David Nelson 16 games

The next best receiver on the list

#106) Fred Jackson, only played in 10 games

#120) Scott Chandler, only played in 14 games

While all you guys are gushing about how great the Bills WR's look in training camp, I'm not convinced any of them besides Stevie Johnson are worth a damn. David Nelson was the Bills 2nd best receiver last season ranked at 61st :sick:

The Bills went into this off season with WR as a priority in free agency and the draft. They whiffed in free agency trying for Robert Meachem ranked #66, tho I don't know why they even wanted him. It was rumored their real interest was in 6'5'' WR Vincent Jackson who got 11.5 from TB. So despite having a glut of maybes on the roster they really only have one proven decent top WR in Johnson.

As for the knock on him holding out for more money, I don't blame him. I'm not gonna call him names because he wants a new contract. Who knows what can happen in the NFL, he could end his career with any one hit. Just ask Kevin Everett!

If all the Bills want to do is have TJ Graham run deep routes as a diversion so Fitz can hit SJ...then yeah, that might work for a few games. But if they want the very best deep speed threat currently in the NFL Mike Wallace is an excellent wide receiver with game-breaking speed and installs fear in the secondary like no other receiver in terms of speed in the NFL.

Signing away Wallace from the Steelers weakens a playoff team in the AFC and strengthens the Buffalo Bills tremendously. Chan Gailey wants to have Fitz throw 500-600 times this year, wouldn't it make sense to sign a top 15 WR to give the Bills a better offense?

I really cant see how anybody here would not be for this.

I live near P'burgh, have seen him play quite a bit, have some idea of what kind of guy he is and am not even remotely interested in giving up any pick(s) for the honor of giving him 10+ million dollars.

The fact that the Bills are not interested either should probably tell you something.

I live near P'burgh, have seen him play quite a bit, have some idea of what kind of guy he is and am not even remotely interested in giving up any pick(s) for the honor of giving him 10+ million dollars.

The fact that the Bills are not interested either should probably tell you something.

Is he known to be a real a-hole or are you just referring to his game?

Does it bother anyone that the model franchise in the NFL, the steelers, is unwilling to pay Mike Wallace a large, long term contract?

Trading for wallace raises too many questions.. i don't like it. You don't trade high draft picks for players and become a contender.. when has that worked out?

Does it bother anyone that the model franchise in the NFL, the steelers, is unwilling to pay Mike Wallace a large, long term contract?

Trading for wallace raises too many questions.. i don't like it. You don't trade high draft picks for players and become a contender.. when has that worked out?

Look at their history the past decade as they don't pay their receivers top money and prefer to let them walk. Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Santonio Holmes.

"Mike is a great player and we'd love for him to be a Steeler for a long time," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told CBS Sports.com. "There are always ways to create room if you decide to do it."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Steelers GM Kevin Colbert told ESPN's Ed Werder that unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace is "not available for trade."

Several Pittsburgh beat reporters suggested Wallace could be available for trade following Antonio Brown's extension. The Steelers are conducting business as if Wallace won't be on the team. Tweeted the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac on Saturday, "It's probably safe to assume now that Mike Wallace no longer has Mike Tomlin's support." In an ideal world for the Steelers' organization, Wallace would cave, sign his tender, and agree to play this season "motivated" in a contract year. If that doesn't happen at some point in the preseason, Colbert may change his tune and begin fielding trade offers.

http://www.rotoworld...lable-for-trade

The kid is THE premier deep speed WR in the NFL. I just don't see how Chan Gailey isn't going nuts trying to get this kid into a Bills uni, unless the Bills can't afford the 11.5