Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 7/27/2012

It was the second day at Buffalo Bills Training Camp and thanks to the CBA rules, the players were not practicing in pads. There was little hitting allowed, but the players still worked pretty hard out there in that warm summer day. The team spent time working in their individual units, 7-on-7 passing drills and the 11-on-11 full team drills. They also worked on special teams drills, including some punt coverage and blocking.

To start the day off, the Bills worked on the two different fields. The defense worked on the new grass field and the offensive players worked on the Polisseni track and field complex. I stayed at the track and field complex because I didn’t want to lose my perfect spot at the 50-yard yard line. It gave me great views for all the action and for some good photos too. I did notice that both Stevie Johnson and Marcus Easley dropped a pass in the passing drill.

Following the individual drills, the team went right to work on special teams. They spent time working on punt coverage and blocking assignments. The players who were catching the punts in the end zone were Leodis McKelvin, CJ Spiller and Justin Rogers. But they really didn’t spend much time returning it. The focus was on the punting team, not the return team. Brian Moorman was booming the punts high and far every single time, kicking several of them over 70-yards. Shawn Powell struggled and was only getting the ball to the 20-yard line each time and had much less hang time. I have no doubt that Brian Moorman’s job is safe!

After the special teams drills, the team went back to work on fundamentals with their individual units. But this time, they were paired up against defensive backs and linebackers. I watched the Quarterbacks with the tight ends/running backs, but I also caught a several plays of the Wide receivers lined up against the cornerbacks. Brad Smith was intercepted by Da’Norris Searcy on one play. I also noticed Arthur Moats with solid coverage, being right near the ball every single time he was out there. Bryan Scott had great coverage on one of his plays and he “tackled” Tashard Choice for a short gain. On the offensive side, Scott Chandler beat George Wilson a couple times. On the other side of the field, Ryan Fitzpatrick hit Donald Jones for a 40-yard touchdown and drew some cheers from the stands. Vince Young also threw a nice 40-yard touchdown, to Marcus Easley......CLICK FOR MORE:

Oh and if you guys like photos, I took a ton of them. You can check them all out here....

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/Mikey82_photos/Buffalo%20Bills%20Training%20Camp%202012/07-27-12%20Friday%20Afternoon/

Looks like the rookie P has the jitters, and Moorman is taking the challenge seriously. Hey, if he can get back to how he punted a couple of years ago I'm all for it.

Thanks again, Mike. Love the details and the photos.

Thanks brotha....a lot of good information there. How did the WOLB position shake out in day 2?

Im honestly not too sure. I think Morrison needs to step up or one of the rookies might take it. I really like Tank Carder a lot!

Great report. Thanks. Chandler was a big part of the offense before he injured in his ankle. I agree he's going to play a big part again.

Exactly! A lot of people forgot how much he was used before he got hurt. I can definitely see him play a big part in it.

Your attention to detail is appreciated. It's lets the reader maker their own judgments.

PTR

Thanks man! Glad you like it.

Looks like the rookie P has the jitters, and Moorman is taking the challenge seriously. Hey, if he can get back to how he punted a couple of years ago I'm all for it.

Thanks again, Mike. Love the details and the photos.

Exactly, the rookie punter had the jitters. But I also just like the way Moorman punts the ball more. His punts go really high and have a lot more hang time. That gives the coverage team more time to get down the field.

Was it because Fitz was throwing the football in too tight of a spiral?

I don't think so. I think it was just because they weren't ready for it. I will definitely keep an eye on it though.

Brother, thank you!

What an incredible effort. Great pictures great shots and you have put it all up here for us to dig.

I just went through the slide show. in some ways it's is better than being there because you have caught the players in such a way that gets missed during action.

i can only hope we get more good Sir Mike. :thumbsup::worthy:

Great report, thanks for posting it. It seems to me the offense is ahead of the defense or is the defense just kind of taking it easy so the offense can get some synergy going?

I think it takes longer for a defense to come together, and there's also the fact that since there aren't pads they can't be as physical as they would normally be.

I do want to keep an eye on Tank since he had a great first day. I would love it if he somehow won a starting spot.