NE's Offense vs Buffalo's Defense

Could the AFC East be decided by one major matchup..........namely, New England's juggeraut offense versus Buffalo's newly built, 4-3, pass rushing defense??

I don't mean to discount the Jets or the Dolphins because anything can happen in a 16 game season, but all signs are pointing to the fact that the Bills have improved significantly enough, especially on defense, to leap frog over NYJ and Miami to finally provide a very strong challenge to New England for the division title and an automatic playoff berth.

It's obvious that the Bills chose to put most of their resources and moola into fortifying their defense. As I mentioned in a previous post, they have added no less than SIX potential new starters on defense including Ma. Williams, M. Anderson, K. Morrison, K. Sheppard, S. Gilmore, and A. Williams. These are significant addtions to the starting lineup, and what's more, these guys are tailor-made to play in the 4-3, Buffalo's new defensive alignment this year.

If you consider that two standout starters from the previous year, K. Williams and G. Wilson, missed most of last year, then it's more like the Bills have added EIGHT new starters to their newly built defense in comparison to last year's team. And the holdovers are no slouch either. The three returning starters to go with the eight players mentioned above are M. Dareus, N. Barnett, and J. Byrd. Throw in some more pretty good players like S. Merriman, C. Kelsay, D. Edwards, Sp. Johnson, A. Moats, T. McGee, L. McKelvin, and B. Scott and Dave Wannstedt certainly has a lot more to work with than his predecessor did.

New England will field quite a talented offensive team, starting with T. Brady at QB, J. Addai and D. Woodhead at RB, Gronkowski and Hernandez at TE, and B. Lloyd, W. Welker, and D. Branch at WR. Their one weakness on offense, which could be a big one, is that their longtime LT, M. Light, has retired and has been replaced by a relatively inexperienced N. Solder.

I don't think NE's RBs will scare anybody. They have a lot of no name, unproven RBs on their roster. Can Addai stay healthy?? Is he the same player that he once was?? I say no to both. I think NE's running game could be a weakness for them as well.

On the other hand, their TEs and WRs are quite could. Can we generate enough pressure on Brady to be able to shorten the time frame to cover guys like Gronk, Welker, and Lloyd?? You can see why Wanny wants to be able to rush only four guys because he knows that he will need seven to cover NE's five skill players.

Since NE likes to go with 1 RB/2 TEs/2 WRs or 1 RB/1 TE/3 WRs or 1 RB/4 WRs or five receivers the Bills will need to adjust be playing more of their cover guys rather than their three starting LBs (Barnett/Sheppard/Morrison). Most likely they will play Barnett in the middle along with six other cover guys (Gilmore, A. Williams, Wilson, Byrd Scott, and T. McGee or McKelvin). The question is, can these guys adequately cover NE's best receivers?? Can our front four (Ma. Williams, Dareus, K. Williams, M. Anderson w/ S. Merriman, C. Kelsay, D. Edwards, and Sp. Johnson as part of the rotation) generate enough of a pass rush to disrupt Brady??

It's definitely going to be tough, but I think Buffalo is far better equipped to stop NE's offense than it was last year, especially if they can make the Pats one dimensional.

Wilson only missed three games last year, but other than that, I fully agree with your premise.

And since it's not just any old defense, but one specifically built to zero-in on the one chink in the Pats*' offensive armor, then I'd say you're right on the money.

We beat them once last year and almost twice if Chan hadn't pulled Stevie for the rest of the game (one move of Chan's that I seriously disagreed with, should have only pulled him for one series of downs) and contrary to those that kiss the rings of NE, I don't believe they made any great off season moves, including their draft picks. If our defense (and offense too for that matter) plays even close to the level everyone is hoping for we will hand Tom Brady two defeats and a lot of turf. Could I be wrong? Sure, but if I'm right then we'll all have a lot to celebrate this season. Keep the faith until then people.

When it comes to the Bills supplanting NE as AFCE champs, it'll all boil down to which of Brady or Fitz plays best at critical times in games throughout the course of the season. With Brady, it is expected he'll dominant much of the season. OTOH, with Fitz ..... who knows what to expect out of him. He's the key!

When it comes to the Bills supplanting NE as AFCE champs, it'll all boil down to which of Brady or Fitz plays best at critical times in games throughout the course of the season. With Brady, it is expected he'll dominant much of the season. OTOH, with Fitz ..... who knows what to expect out of him. He's the key!

Agreed it comes down to Fitz vs Brady. Who has the better day... Strength of QB goes to NE with Brady. So Until he becomes ineffective it's His game to lose vs the Bills...

Could the AFC East be decided by one major matchup..........namely, New England's juggeraut offense versus Buffalo's newly built, 4-3, pass rushing defense??

I don't mean to discount the Jets or the Dolphins because anything can happen in a 16 game season, but all signs are pointing to the fact that the Bills have improved significantly enough, especially on defense, to leap frog over NYJ and Miami to finally provide a very strong challenge to New England for the division title and an automatic playoff berth.

It's obvious that the Bills chose to put most of their resources and moola into fortifying their defense. As I mentioned in a previous post, they have added no less than SIX potential new starters on defense including Ma. Williams, M. Anderson, K. Morrison, K. Sheppard, S. Gilmore, and A. Williams. These are significant addtions to the starting lineup, and what's more, these guys are tailor-made to play in the 4-3, Buffalo's new defensive alignment this year.

If you consider that two standout starters from the previous year, K. Williams and G. Wilson, missed most of last year, then it's more like the Bills have added EIGHT new starters to their newly built defense in comparison to last year's team. And the holdovers are no slouch either. The three returning starters to go with the eight players mentioned above are M. Dareus, N. Barnett, and J. Byrd. Throw in some more pretty good players like S. Merriman, C. Kelsay, D. Edwards, Sp. Johnson, A. Moats, T. McGee, L. McKelvin, and B. Scott and Dave Wannstedt certainly has a lot more to work with than his predecessor did.

New England will field quite a talented offensive team, starting with T. Brady at QB, J. Addai and D. Woodhead at RB, Gronkowski and Hernandez at TE, and B. Lloyd, W. Welker, and D. Branch at WR. Their one weakness on offense, which could be a big one, is that their longtime LT, M. Light, has retired and has been replaced by a relatively inexperienced N. Solder.

I don't think NE's RBs will scare anybody. They have a lot of no name, unproven RBs on their roster. Can Addai stay healthy?? Is he the same player that he once was?? I say no to both. I think NE's running game could be a weakness for them as well.

On the other hand, their TEs and WRs are quite could. Can we generate enough pressure on Brady to be able to shorten the time frame to cover guys like Gronk, Welker, and Lloyd?? You can see why Wanny wants to be able to rush only four guys because he knows that he will need seven to cover NE's five skill players.

Since NE likes to go with 1 RB/2 TEs/2 WRs or 1 RB/1 TE/3 WRs or 1 RB/4 WRs or five receivers the Bills will need to adjust be playing more of their cover guys rather than their three starting LBs (Barnett/Sheppard/Morrison). Most likely they will play Barnett in the middle along with six other cover guys (Gilmore, A. Williams, Wilson, Byrd Scott, and T. McGee or McKelvin). The question is, can these guys adequately cover NE's best receivers?? Can our front four (Ma. Williams, Dareus, K. Williams, M. Anderson w/ S. Merriman, C. Kelsay, D. Edwards, and Sp. Johnson as part of the rotation) generate enough of a pass rush to disrupt Brady??

It's definitely going to be tough, but I think Buffalo is far better equipped to stop NE's offense than it was last year, especially if they can make the Pats one dimensional.

It's a QB League son. NE has the Best QB in the AFC East hands down. It's NE Division to lose...

Agreed it comes down to Fitz vs Brady. Who has the better day... Strength of QB goes to NE with Brady. So Until he becomes ineffective it's His game to lose vs the Bills...

Ineffectiveness can be forced upon him by a relentless defense.

Ineffectiveness can be forced upon him by a relentless defense.

Right. I don't know why this point is lost on all the Brady ball-washers.

This isn't billiards, this isn't curling, bowling or golf.

In football, there's such thing as an opposition--root word: oppose, as in one's will, as in a counter force, the likes of which have been assembled almost exclusively to squash Brady's effectiveness.

So I'm confused as to why everyone keeps assuming he's still the King of the AFC East since he hasn't proven jack against THIS defense, and the one defense that resembles ours has bested him on the world's biggest stage not once but twice.

In football, there's such thing as an opposition--root word: oppose, as in one's will, as in a counter force, the likes of which have been assembled almost exclusively to squash Brady's effectiveness.

So I'm confused as to why everyone keeps assuming he's still the King of the AFC East since he hasn't proven jack against THIS defense, and the one defense that resembles ours has bested him on the world's biggest stage not once but twice.

Brady has gone up against, and beaten, oodles of the leagues best defenses for over a decade now. There is a well established pattern of success in his corner. It's not like the Bills defense is going to be anything different than what Brady has routinely dissected numerous times throughout his career.

Further, in those Giants SB wins it was Manning and his offense that won it for them. As mentioned previously, it's all about QB play over the course of a season.

Brady has gone up against, and beaten, oodles of the leagues best defenses for over a decade now. There is a well established pattern of success in his corner. It's not like the Bills defense is going to be anything different than what Brady has routinely dissected numerous times throughout his career.

Further, in those Giants SB wins it was Manning and his offense that won it for them. As mentioned previously, it's all about QB play over the course of a season.

And as mentioned previously, Manning's defense, and not Manning, held the 2007 Pats* (who averaged 36 points PER GAME) to only 14.

And as far as "best defenses" go, only those designed to pressure from the line have fared successful, and make no mistake they've BEEN successful at besting Brady.

Edited by The Big Cat

Sure it will be Brady vs Fitz, but our defense will have a lot to say about the overall outcome of each game vs NE. We need to be able to at least slow down the Pats' offense. If we can do that then we stand a chance of beating them.

The Pats have the easiest strength of schedule in the league in 2012 so they definitely have an advanteous already. They have dominated the AFC East for many years now so they are the team to beat, like it or not. As long as they have Belicheck and Brady (since they are about the only two who have remained constant through their years of winning the division), they will be tough to beat.

If I'm the Bills' GM I'm trying to build my defense to contend with NE's spread, quick-hitting offense. That means having a guy who can cover Welker and a guy who can cover Gronk, and a front four that can pressure Brady (and actually hit him on occasion). They have the toughest offense to deal with on our schedule, and unfortunately, we have to produce more wins than them (or at least as many with the tie breaker in our favor) to win the division. Otherwise, we have to settle for making it into the playoffs as a wildcard, which can be pretty dicey.

And as mentioned previously, Manning's defense, and not Manning, held the 2007 Pats* (who averaged 36 points PER GAME) to only 14.

And as far as "best defenses" go, only those designed to pressure from the line have fared successful, and make no mistake they've BEEN successful at besting Brady.

The best defense to go up against Brady is one of confusion. The Jets defense for example is probably best in this respect. If you can stick a bunch of DE all over the line and go NASCAR like what the Giants do when facing Brady that works too. But, over the course of the season, Brady wins MUCH more than he loses and, if we are talking winning the division, you have to look at a 16 game sked and project beating them over the course of it. It's likely going to take 14 wins to do so. Does Fitz have it in to win that many games? We know Brady does!

The best defense to go up against Brady is one of confusion. The Jets defense for example is probably best in this respect. If you can stick a bunch of DE all over the line and go NASCAR like what the Giants do when facing Brady that works too. But, over the course of the season, Brady wins MUCH more than he loses and, if we are talking winning the division, you have to look at a 16 game sked and project beating them over the course of it. It's likely going to take 14 wins to do so. Does Fitz have it in to win that many games? We know Brady does!

A completely fair point. Just because we're designed to beat them, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Yes, if there is a model defense for the Bills it's the Giants. I'd like to see what Brady's accuracy stats are when he is forced to throw on the run instead of rooted to the field like a tree. That's what the Bills' defense will be designed to accomplish: force him out of the pocket and throw on the run. If the Bills DL disrupts his comfortablity, not even needing sacks, the Bills win.

Uh no. Not in the first one at least. That was the d line

We won't try to use our LBs to cover their TEs. We'll likely use B. Scott to cover Gronk and G. Wilson to cover Hernandez.

The Bills won't likely play a standard 4-3 vs NE since NE is normally in pass mode and will use four receivers (i.e. combination of TEs and WRs) most of the time.

We may use one LB (Barnett) or evn no LB (all DBs) plus a four man rush.

Sure it will be Brady vs Fitz, but our defense will have a lot to say about the overall outcome of each game vs NE. We need to be able to at least slow down the Pats' offense. If we can do that then we stand a chance of beating them.

The Pats have the easiest strength of schedule in the league in 2012 so they definitely have an advanteous already. They have dominated the AFC East for many years now so they are the team to beat, like it or not. As long as they have Belicheck and Brady (since they are about the only two who have remained constant through their years of winning the division), they will be tough to beat.

If I'm the Bills' GM I'm trying to build my defense to contend with NE's spread, quick-hitting offense. That means having a guy who can cover Welker and a guy who can cover Gronk, and a front four that can pressure Brady (and actually hit him on occasion). They have the toughest offense to deal with on our schedule, and unfortunately, we have to produce more wins than them (or at least as many with the tie breaker in our favor) to win the division. Otherwise, we have to settle for making it into the playoffs as a wildcard, which can be pretty dicey.

New England has to play Buffalo twice this year. We'll see how easy their strength of schedule really is soon enough. All this strength of schedule stuff is nonsense. Last year was last year. This year is this year.

Uh no. Not in the first one at least. That was the d line

Even ini the second one, the Giants Dline was all over him.

And for those who bring up the point about other teams not being able to beat NE, i say this- IF, and big IF, Buffalo wins both against NE, i can not wait to see what they do to the rest of the league. NE is the model for what the NFL wants- pass happy teams. Buffalo is trying to counter that.

Yes, if there is a model defense for the Bills it's the Giants. I'd like to see what Brady's accuracy stats are when he is forced to throw on the run instead of rooted to the field like a tree. That's what the Bills' defense will be designed to accomplish: force him out of the pocket and throw on the run. If the Bills DL disrupts his comfortablity, not even needing sacks, the Bills win.

Do you mean like home game vs us last year?

Even ini the second one, the Giants Dline was all over him.

That d-line was insane. Canty, JPP, Tuck, Uniemourya... They generated insane pressure from just four guys, so it didn't matter that they had a hospital ward of a defensive backfield (see: 2007 Buffalo Bills for further reading). We'll see if Williams Williams Dareus Anderson Merriman are as advertisted, which can rival that front four. I want to make sure the Bill Curtain stays healthy so we can shade that extra safety or LB over to better cover NE's tight ends. That way we will not have to worry about another shoot out to shut down the Pats.

We won't try to use our LBs to cover their TEs. We'll likely use B. Scott to cover Gronk and G. Wilson to cover Hernandez.

The Bills won't likely play a standard 4-3 vs NE since NE is normally in pass mode and will use four receivers (i.e. combination of TEs and WRs) most of the time.

Putting Scott in and Barnett in, 2 LB's...but Scott really is not an LB - he can play one, but he is a monster/rover.

Maybe. But anything that takes me more than one scroll to read is way to long to read. 0:)

You should have been around here during the days of Pyrite Gal. You think the OP's topic was long? Sheesh. You've farted quicker.

"You're Early" - Ellen Reid

The Bills were 1-5 against AFC East foes last year including sweeps by the Dolphins and the Jets. Before lining up against the Patriots, this team must beat the Jets and Dolphins before talking any smack.

I am still worried by the #2 WR position. Donald Jones when given the job last year was horrible. Could get no separation and also had drops. We really need a legitimate #2 WR. May be Scott Chandler becomes a better pass-catching TE.

Also, not sure if we are going to get the consistency from the LT position considering that it will be manned by a Rookie Tackle who will be going against some good pass rushers.

chemistry, luck, good fortune----all of which the pats have had to a great degree the past decade, all have to shine on your team to have a good run. i think our coaching staff is solid, we've got good football guys at the helm and they'll more often than not make good football decisions. you have to like the decisions the good football guys made this offseason, and upon reflection of what they've said in seasons past, it would appear this year is part on an ongoing plan to bring the wins back to wny. you still need chemistry, luck and good fortune----but watching tom brady set up/scan the fied and have 4 seconds plus to throw for, well, a decade was clearly not a formula for success. let's be fair, too, that we're in year 3 of a rebuilding plan, and expectations for success should be high. at the same time, bb and brady are not sitting around thinking how ugly it might be, they're game-planning to beat us as well. i like our chances.

No, you re dead wrong. This defense can easily become special and give him whiny fitz.

Oh yeah, i remember everyone talking about how manning harrased Brady all game long. Of course the defense had a ton to do with the gents victory...,,

Go Bills!

Because he's proven he can beat good defenses many times, despite the fact that you've cherry picked those two games (as much as I loved them).

We haven't proven to be a good defense yet.

As it stands, he's the king - 10 years running. Has this D even had that many practices?

You gotta love this defense. I think Mario is going to do more damage to Brady holding the line more than pass rushing (at least when it's a three step drop). The guy is just a monster. Brady throws a ton right over where Mario will be playing. Mario is big enough, strong enough, tough enough and can jump like a kangaroo to disrupt Brady's vision, his throws or just tip passes (hopefully to himself. I've read he has 10 ints. that's quite a stat). Both of our DTs are ideal for playing Brady as well. NE line is the best pass-blocking line I have ever seen and then some. But, I think the fact that we have not one, but two - primo penetrating DTs will give them some trouble. They are going to be a very tough assignment for any team as long as their healthy.... Having two makes them really special and unique. And of course we have two speed rushers as well in Mr. Anderson and Light's Out. Again, having two is Way better than one (unless that one is B.S.) So many times i have seen pass rushers get gassed playing passing teams. You simply can't rush hard every play....unless you have two of them.

I also think Kelsay is a pretty darn good backup at LDE. Mario doesn't have to hold back tossing people around, he can rest a series or two....

And that's just the D-line!

I love that whole defense, I'm telling you..... Sheppard has the tools to run that D. A very big and solid with B.S. type glutes. (B.S. Himself accredited his big glutes as the reason for his dominance). gym rat when he isn't watching film. He is a tough guy who will drop them on contact and yet is athletic enough to play pass defense. Barnett is one of our best players and will not leave the field. A former #1 because of his combination of toughnees and speed. Barnett will light up backs with their head down as he knives in between blockers and hits with nice explosion. He is one of the best three-down LBs in the league and what a great get for chixy and us fans. I really like Captain Kirk at SLB as well. Highly experienced and durable, he won't be fooled often. Has the size and the history to play that spot well. Both he and Barnett are former MLB that called their defense, can't think of a better place for Sheppard to grow than behindvour line and surrounded by coaches on the field. That said, by fall.the two impressive rookies ought to be able to help if needed. Mr. Scott is definitely going to play more than Captain Kirk in this show as more teams throw more every year. Scott McKillop has a chance to impress enough that we keep a seventh LB to back up Sheppard, but I see them giving the spot to someone else & sliding Morrison in the middle and giving Nigel the SLB job.

Well, I am finally getting tired but I could ramble on and on about this defense otherwise....you know I love our super heat seeking killer extra big CBs. Their job is to either catch poorly thrown balls, which will bevmore abundant this year, or lay the lumber. Something they both excell at and a great way to defend our middle. I may love our safties most of all... All around great players that hit harder then they look, have great hands and ofcourse, always watching film or working out..... Right now, we go a very respestable, six deep at CB. What's not to love?

Go Bills!

Agreed.

I think this is where Brooks makes his name known.

I think the first team they neet to get past is the Jets. The last couple of times we played the Jets, they bully us all over the field and we let them. Giving into them and let them play their game. The second game last year was a little better but when stevie dropped that ball it was all out of fear of getting hit. That is what the Jets have done to us. So in order to compete or even talk about the Patriots we have to get over the Jets first and play consistently against the Fins (because quite frankly we be ourselves twice last year against the Fins). Go Bills!!

The Bills were 1-5 against AFC East foes last year including sweeps by the Dolphins and the Jets. Before lining up against the Patriots, this team must beat the Jets and Dolphins before talking any smack.

I am still worried by the #2 WR position. Donald Jones when given the job last year was horrible. Could get no separation and also had drops. We really need a legitimate #2 WR. May be Scott Chandler becomes a better pass-catching TE.

Also, not sure if we are going to get the consistency from the LT position considering that it will be manned by a Rookie Tackle who will be going against some good pass rushers.

You also have to remember that the 5 losses were in the 2nd half of the season after Fitz had his rib problems. As much as is an excuse I do agree with you that we need to start putting a hurt on the other teams(Jets, phins).

That d-line was insane. Canty, JPP, Tuck, Uniemourya... They generated insane pressure from just four guys, so it didn't matter that they had a hospital ward of a defensive backfield (see: 2007 Buffalo Bills for further reading). We'll see if Williams Williams Dareus Anderson Merriman are as advertisted, which can rival that front four. I want to make sure the Bill Curtain stays healthy so we can shade that extra safety or LB over to better cover NE's tight ends. That way we will not have to worry about another shoot out to shut down the Pats.

While the Bills DL *may* end up being productive against the Pats it won't be because they are similar to that Giants DL that caused the Pats so much trouble. The 4 of Tuck, Osi, JPP and Canty are unique in that they are all sub 275#, pass rush DE's who excel at getting at the QB but who can also all defend the run without being exposed. What this combination of rush/run skillset allows is for all 4 of them to be used in all 4 DL spots on all 3 downs in all series of the game. This is what caused the Pats trouble, the matchup and confusion that having 4 such unique DE's all being able to play inside or out and not knowing where they'll lineup play in and play out.

The Bills don't have anything close to that personnel (4-3 pass rush DE's who can also play 4-3 DT capably) on the DL on a consistent and regular basis. The closest thing they could lineup in comparison (ie all DE types) would be Merriman - M Williams - Kelsay - Anderson and if they did use this regularly in a game they'd get dominated. FTR, I have excluded Dareus and K Williams in this package since they are 300+ pound DT's and not 275# 4-3 DE's like what the Giants have.

Now granted a M Williams - Dareus - K Williams - Merriman (Anderson) grouping has the potential to excel against the Pats but for entirely different reasons than why the Giants front of Tuck, Osi, JPP and Canty caused the Pats so much grief.

Edited by Pneumonic

I think the Bills strategy towards the Patriots' offense is to either force Brady to throw quickly or make the Patriots put in a max protection scheme that eliminates their strengths in Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez. Buffalo Rumblings had a nice piece back in March outlining the potential blocking schemes:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/17/2878990/mario-williams-buffalo-bills-defensive-line

If the Bills D-line does not command additional blockers or does not get to Brady quickly, it'll look much like last year. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills put Gilmore on Gronk.

Because he's proven he can beat good defenses many times, despite the fact that you've cherry picked those two games (as much as I loved them).

We haven't proven to be a good defense yet.

As it stands, he's the king - 10 years running. Has this D even had that many practices?

I "cherry picked" those games because there's evidence to suggest we're following that formula. I didn't just choose them at random...