Demetress Bell calls Bills' pass-blocking scheme "passive"

I believe the Bills traded Jason Peters for Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Danny Batten

Basically it was Peters for Wood. Wood has had his share of injuries, but the first one was a freak injury and one from which he completely recovered. The 2nd was an ACL tear, which is commonplace and no big deal anymore. OTOH, Achilles tears almost never allow the player to return to their previous form, much less after tearing it twice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL last year, I could care less if the line played "One Mississippi" with the Dline....

Who really cares whether its passive or aggressive? Its pass blockibg, you are supposed to prevent your man from getting to the QB. If you pancake the DLineman 10 times during the game but then allow 3 sacks because of being overly aggressive that is somehow better? Makes no sense to me. Pass blocking is about preventing theQB from getting hit and keeping a clean pocket and clean throwing lanes, something we did very well. Worry about aggressiveness in the run blocking game...

Really Demetress? "The scheme is different. As far as pass-blocking, it's way more physical, it's not passive, it's not sitting back." I think you misunderstood things, the other four guys on the Bills line were very aggressive and physical, just not you. Sorry Eagles, he's no Jason Peters!

I think it's easier to stay healthy when you're trying to kick someone's ass than when you're trying not to get your ass kicked.

I recall my viewing pleasure with several fine film clips showing Wood "sonning" the SOB across from him and Levitre popping a block downfield

Methinks if Bell wasn't kicking a**, it has more to do with him than the scheme.

Bell was a fine player, until he left the Bills. Now he's an injury-prone, overrated type who never lived up to his potential despite having great athleticism for playing OLT. That, and he can't spell his name right seem to be the major complaints with his move to Philadelphia.

So now he is what? Passive aggressive?

LOL!

I believe the Bills traded Jason Peters for Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Danny Batten

Bills got hosed. Nelson- out, Batten- about to be out, Wood- 3 years, 2 major injuries. Meanwhile Peters- selected to the 2010 Pro Bowl and 2011 Pro Bowl as a starter and was a 2010 second team All-Pro selection.

The trade hasn't worked out for the best… but the discussion then becomes, is it because of the picks involved or the players selected with those picks?

Bell was a fine player, until he left the Bills. Now he's an injury-prone, overrated type who never lived up to his potential despite having great athleticism for playing OLT. That, and he can't spell his name right seem to be the major complaints with his move to Philadelphia.

No. I disagree with your spin.

Bell was ALWAYS an injury-prone player.

Then there's the fact that not a single team was interested in Bell as a free agent until Jason Peters injured himself.

The trade hasn't worked out for the best… but the discussion then becomes, is it because of the picks involved or the players selected with those picks?

To me, it always comes back to the simple fact the guy didn't want to be here. Whatever he has been to Philly he was never going to be here, so the Bills got what they could and moved on.

LOL!

No. I disagree with your spin.

Bell was ALWAYS an injury-prone player.

Then there's the fact that not a single team was interested in Bell as a free agent until Jason Peters injured himself.

I'd guess the value wasn't far off expected for a realist. A late first is a good player hopefully (wood qualifies as on par for expectations for a pick in the 20s). 2 late rounders, and you are lucky to get more then some special teams play - see batten and Nelson.

Are you speaking for yourself here? The gouge I read all last season was "man, he can't stay healthy". The fact that Chan pulled Bell for "inconsistant play" during the pre-season would argue that the Bills coaching staff felt he was not living up to his potential.

He was injury prone while playing for Buffalo.

he was always a weak OL but had good feet and athleticism.

To me i think that the Bills staff has shown the ability to try and 'mask' certain weakness'.

If the Eagles expect Bell to be able to block the same as Peters, they ar ein for a rude awakening. One could also argue that if he is asked to play a more 'aggresive' blocking style it will subject him to his two greatest flaws. He is weak thus he will get injured.

Personally i do not buy a passive or aggressive style. I get zone blocking and such, but at then end of the day you still have to get in the way of a 300lb guy who is trying to get to the ball.

Please pull up that post of yours during the past couple of seasons in which you complimented Bell's play and/or durability.

Ignore Billsvet, the collective Bills organization had a team bonding event where they all pissed in his cheerios. Every player that leaves the Bills is a 'good player' to him. His previous comments on Bell that include "knowing full well Bell was an injury waiting to happen." and "the OT's aren't much in pass pro". Now that Bell isn't on the Bills, it looks like his opinion has changed.

--------------------------------------------

That said, this statement means nothing. What is he going to say? This new scheme is much more passive? His job is to sell hope and after experiencing the scheme 'without pads' he says it is aggressive?

Keep in mind, they also have Vick and there's pages upon pages about how blocking for him is a nightmare so maybe they adjusted the scheme to accommodate his running. This is a non-starter statement.

Ignore Billsvet, the collective Bills organization had a team bonding event where they all pissed in his cheerios. Every player that leaves the Bills is a 'good player' to him. His previous comments on Bell that include "knowing full well Bell was an injury waiting to happen." and "the OT's aren't much in pass pro". Now that Bell isn't on the Bills, it looks like his opinion has changed.

--------------------------------------------

That said, this statement means nothing. What is he going to say? This new scheme is much more passive? His job is to sell hope and after experiencing the scheme 'without pads' he says it is aggressive?

Keep in mind, they also have Vick and there's pages upon pages about how blocking for him is a nightmare so maybe they adjusted the scheme to accommodate his running. This is a non-starter statement.

I know aggressive is a hot catch phrase but in pass blocking its not like your trying to get to the second level. Were likely talking about whether taking an extra step back or meeting your guy a split second earlier. Whatever works and how you want your pocket to shape. In Philly he's less likely to guide a guy back and more likely to seal an edge for Vick. BFD. Doesn't mean they are somehow more physical or cooler or tougher or better like it seems some posters are worried about.

Edited by NoSaint

In what dimension is Peters maybe the best left tackle in the NFL??? He has NEVER been good enough to be a pro bowler, IMHO. He's had what, one good, uninjured seaon? D. Bell isn't any better. We've snookered the Eagles twice now. Or rather those two have snookered the Eagles. Good riddance.