Cornerback - Who stays and who goes?

We've got seven CB's (McGee, Florence, McKelvin, A. Williams, Rogers, Gilmore and Brooks). Assuming we keep five or six and assuming no UDFA makes the team, who stays and who goes? Obviously, Williams and Gilmore are locks. I assume that absent a horrendous camp, they'll keep a #4 round pick. Rogers looked very good at the tail end of last year. Do you try to peddle McKelvin in his contract year and pick up a draft pick in 2013? Do you cut one or both of the vets (McGee and Florence) loose? I vote for showcasing McKelvin in preseason and trying to get a #4 or #5 for him from a team that finds itself in need of a corner.

I'd like that idea.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Florence & Mcgee at over the age of 30 will likely not contribute on special teams. I would think it would have to be one of those guys that gets cut. If McKelvin totally bombs in training camp he will get cut.

We've got seven CB's (McGee, Florence, McKelvin, A. Williams, Rogers, Gilmore and Brooks). Assuming we keep five or six and assuming no UDFA makes the team, who stays and who goes? Obviously, Williams and Gilmore are locks. I assume that absent a horrendous camp, they'll keep a #4 round pick. Rogers looked very good at the tail end of last year. Do you try to peddle McKelvin in his contract year and pick up a draft pick in 2013? Do you cut one or both of the vets (McGee and Florence) loose? I vote for showcasing McKelvin in preseason and trying to get a #4 or #5 for him from a team that finds itself in need of a corner.

That didn't take long to answer. With Florence gone, I think that they'll keep all six of the remaining CB's.

That didn't take long to answer. With Florence gone, I think that they'll keep all six of the remaining CB's.

Yep! Looks like its time to revise!

Good question. I think our DBs on opening day will look like:

Florence, CB

Williams, CB

Gilmore, CB

McKelvin, CB

Brooks, CB

Rogers, CB

Byrd, FS

Wilson, SS/FS

Searcy, SS

Scott, S/LB

McGee wont make it through camp, and I'm in the small camp that wants to see McKelvin re-signed to a fair contract. This will most likely be Florence's last yearWEEK* on the team

The Florence move says to me that the Bills 1) think McGee will make it through the year, and 2) are high on A. Williams and Rogers. Reading the tea leaves, I think it may also indicate that front office knows that we're still a year or two away. Florence will not be part of those teams and therefore it's better to get more playing time for Williams, Rogers, Gilmore, and Brooks.

I think Florence has to remain simply due to the inexperience of the remaining options. Going into the season with 2 rookies, 2 2nd year guys and McKelvin doesn't seem realistic.

I don't think you can invest a 4th round pick in a guy and dump him after only 1 month of camp.

This argument seemed to make some sense but turned out to be wrong. Inexperienced speed is probably better than experience on aging legs at the CB position. And the younger players need playing time to improve.

The Florence move says to me that the Bills 1) think McGee will make it through the year, and 2) are high on A. Williams and Rogers. Reading the tea leaves, I think it may also indicate that front office knows that we're still a year or two away. Florence will not be part of those teams and therefore it's better to get more playing time for Williams, Rogers, Gilmore, and Brooks.

Cross out Rogers and insert Brooks. I think its because how high they are on Brooks that made Florence expendable. Rogers (if kept) will the 6th corner on this team IMO.

Cross out Rogers and insert Brooks. I think its because how high they are on Brooks that made Florence expendable. Rogers (if kept) will the 6th corner on this team IMO.

I love the Brooks pick, but his biggest problem is a lack of reps in college. I think he's gotta be #6 right now. McGee goes down and Brooks is not going to be the slot CB. Rogers was ahead of McKelvin on the depth chart at the end of last year, I think. That said, but for Brooks, Florence would still be on the team.

I love the Brooks pick, but his biggest problem is a lack of reps in college. I think he's gotta be #6 right now. McGee goes down and Brooks is not going to be the slot CB. Rogers was ahead of McKelvin on the depth chart at the end of last year, I think. That said, but for Brooks, Florence would still be on the team.

I totally see what you are saying, and that is why I said in another thread that given our depth, I think they can afford to bring Brooks along slower than say Gilmore who they are expecting to start right away.

That being said, Brooks may not have started but he did play a lot more than people think in college and was a major impact player when he did play. And talent is talent, so it would not surprise me to see him come in and compete early for playing time despite lesser reps than a full time starter in college.

I would have to say Florence and McKelvin dont make it.

Good call so far...I'd be very surprised if the 2nd one happens now though. Buddy is banking on Mcklovin playing lights out in his contract year...

So we're keeeping a fourth rounder in Brooks as you think he's better or has more upside, and you exepct to get a 3rd or 4th for trading McKelvin?? If he's that good why would you possibly want to get rid of him? Sounds like the Bill's just wasted a 4th round pick on Brooks when you have another guy who's better.

Or the likely outcome is you couldn't even get a 7th rounder for him, so you cut him or as someone posted, you keep him as he's in the last year of his contract anyway, so he's cheap.

Florence who was picked up a FA beat out Mckelvin for playing time, wouldn't that stand to reason any team can easily find another FA cornerback who is better??

I'd agree. Though a so-so young experienced CB should be more valuable than a so-so aging exprienced WR, so I'd expect you could get a 3rd for him.

So we're keeeping a fourth rounder in Brooks as you think he's better or has more upside, and you exepct to get a 3rd or 4th for trading McKelvin?? If he's that good why would you possibly want to get rid of him? Sounds like the Bill's just wasted a 4th round pick on Brooks when you have another guy who's better.

Or the likely outcome is you couldn't even get a 7th rounder for him, so you cut him or as someone posted, you keep him as he's in the last year of his contract anyway, so he's cheap.

Florence who was picked up a FA beat out Mckelvin for playing time, wouldn't that stand to reason any team can easily find another FA cornerback who is better??

This might be about cap space as well as talent.

I watch this situation very closely last year at the games in person. McKelvin is the only true cover guy we had out there...his problem is lack of plays on the ball. He has the jets. As for Florence, you have to love his skills and his heart, but the legs are not there anymore, and he got beat consistently by speed guys. And, Williams did not sell me on his ability to cover either. He can hit, and make plays, but he can't run with the burners either, although he has better speed than Florence. Florence and Williams will make plays on the ball however. McKelvin could turn it around in a heatbeat if he got aggressive on the ball. Reggie Corner is gone. McGee is old and injury prone. I hope the two new corners are great, as they have speed to burn, and that McKelvin turns it around. That would be the best outcome.(start those three burners) Williams is a young Florence, and certainly has a roll. I was also not sold on Rogers, despite his play last year, looked a half step slow to me. All this talk about Rogers and Williams reminds me of the Ko Simpson fiasco, where he played a year, and everybody was sold he was great. But, he looked slow to me, and he faded out in second year...went to the Lions in the third year...never made it. We have talent her, and Stache has to put it together to work. My idea is to let the old guys ride into the sunset, and let the young burners do OJT (on the job training)

You should post more often, bigc. This is a good read; looks like the Bills agree with you, at least initially (Florence). My bet is they're waiting to see how McGee's rehab has gone, and then that shoe may or may not drop.

This might be about cap space as well as talent.

That is exactly it.

Earlier this off season Florence called Williams a future pro bowler (if there is such thing as the pro bowl anymore). Gilmore will start right away, McGee is what he is, McK is in the last year of his contract - that doesn't make him safe, but he carries no cap baggage moving forward. I expected Brooks to move along a bit slower at CB, but even though he didn't start he still played a lot - the kid might be further along that we all think. I guess I expected a transition to happen over the course of the season, with the old guys getting replaced by the younger guys. Not the case.

I wonder what other cuts will be coming in the next few days...