RD 4, Pick #124: CB Ron Brooks - LSU

SDS

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of diehard LSU fans down here, so I contacted one I work with to find out about CB Ron Brooks, our 4th round pick. I thought some of you would be interested so FWIW here's his response:

I predict you will be very happy with Ron Brooks. The guy is amazing! LSU's strongest positions year after year are the Defensive Backs. We must have one helluva DB coach who I never hear about.

Ron won MVP in a couple of big games if I remember correctly. The only reason you didn't hear more about him is because LSU has consistently had the #1 (Patrick Peterson) & #2 (Tyran Mathieu, Heisman candidate) CBs in the nation playing ahead of him.

It doesn't get a lot of press but I also think Ron's academics may have held him back. I just recently heard he got some abysmal score on a nationally recognized test. I also think academics is how our QBs ended up 1st & 2nd string. Academic success is a bonus in Les Miles contract.

Wait, he's in the same defensive backfield as Claiborne--and he's the academically challenged one??

How so?

Because Claiborne, he of the alleged 4 wonderlic, is known for being the anti-mensa, and not Brooks, I would imagine.That would fall into the "abysmal score on a nationally recognized test" category pretty well. What other nationally recognized tests do football players take in their senior years of college.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Because Claiborne, he of the alleged 4 wonderlic, is known for being the anti-mensa, and not Brooks, I would imagine.That would fall into the "abysmal score on a nationally recognized test" category pretty well. What other nationally recognized tests do football players take in their senior years of college.

That's possible. I guess there's not much room for Brooks' score to be lower than Peterson's. Googling wasn't much help but I saw this analysis of Brooks on a LSU Tigers fan site:

"Ron Brooks- The super-sleeper of the draft. Brooks had the unfortunate college experience of playing with Patrick Peterson, Mo Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu. Due to the overall talent Brooks was stuck playing as a key reserve in the LSU defensive backfield. When he did play key minutes, it was hard not to pay close attention to Brooks. He can play man/zone coverage, he can come off the edge with elite speed against either the run or the pass and can become a team’s returner if needed. I don’t expect many pro bowls from Brooks, but a very steady career."

Lots of diehard LSU fans down here, so I contacted one I work with to find out about CB Ron Brooks, our 4th round pick. I thought some of you would be interested so FWIW here's his response:

I predict you will be very happy with Ron Brooks. The guy is amazing! LSU's strongest positions year after year are the Defensive Backs. We must have one helluva DB coach who I never hear about.

Ron won MVP in a couple of big games if I remember correctly. The only reason you didn't hear more about him is because LSU has consistently had the #1 (Patrick Peterson) & #2 (Tyran Mathieu, Heisman candidate) CBs in the nation playing ahead of him.

It doesn't get a lot of press but I also think Ron's academics may have held him back. I just recently heard he got some abysmal score on a nationally recognized test. I also think academics is how our QBs ended up 1st & 2nd string. Academic success is a bonus in Les Miles contract.

I am telling you right now, Ron Brooks is going to be a major talent at the NFL level. This guy would have been a premiere corner on any other major college program in the Nation and he is going to turn a lot of heads around here. Seriously loving our DB's right now. I loved the Byrd pick 2 years ago on draft night and I loved Aaron Williams pick last year (once I got over the initial disappointment of not taking Mallet...although I am still perplexed we didn't grab Mallet in round 3)and love the Gilmore pick this year. I think both young corners have a tremendous ceiling and now you add Ron Brooks into the mix who I think could prove to be a very good DB in this league and we have the makings of one helluva young secondary with Byrd as well.

Add in McGee and those are 4 very good corners IMO going into this season. They may bring Ron along more slowly than Gilmore simply based on the combination of the Vets we have (McGee and Florence) and his draft slot as Gilmore I think is penciled in as a day 1 starter unless he fails to impress and struggles in camp.

Man, even as I write this I just can not help be get giddy with excitement over the potential of this D. It is still premature, but this D has the potential, talent wise, to be one of the best in the league as soon as this year and for years to come. We are suddenly very deep at DB, have talented safeties, drafted some very intriguing young LB prospects that have the potential to challenge for reps early, and have what I believe is the best front 4 in the NFL right now, at least from a talent perspective (still gotta prove it on the field).

Byrd and Wilson holding down the safeties spots...two young physical corners in Williams and Gilmore...a proven vet and a physical Brooks coming in on nickel and dime packages, Barnett leading the young LB's and Dareus and Kyle pushing the middle and Mark and Mario flying off the edges...holy sh*t that sounds bad ass! Then there is still the additional wild card of a healthy Merriman and being able to rotate him around the DE and OLB spots to bring more heat...

Wow, this FO has completely transformed this D fast! Again, its premature, but on paper I am like holy sh*t the potential is high!

Edited by Alphadawg7

in that, Brooks could have been starter but his grades kept him off the field. This is because the LSU coach has a provision in his contract that gives him more money if his starters have better grades. That is what I took from the post

"It's like what Lenin said, man."

"I am the Walrus."

"If you look for the person who will benefit, then . . ."

"I am the Walrus."

"Shut the F*** up Donny! V. I. Lenin! Vladimir Illyanich Ulionov!

Sorry wrong Lennon, besides everyone knows the Walrus was Paul. Hope the kid pans out.

I am telling you right now, Ron Brooks is going to be a major talent at the NFL level. This guy would have been a premiere corner on any other major college program in the Nation and he is going to turn a lot of heads around here. Seriously loving our DB's right now. I loved the Byrd pick 2 years ago on draft night and I loved Aaron Williams pick last year (once I got over the initial disappointment of not taking Mallet...although I am still perplexed we didn't grab Mallet in round 3)and love the Gilmore pick this year. I think both young corners have a tremendous ceiling and now you add Ron Brooks into the mix who I think could prove to be a very good DB in this league and we have the makings of one helluva young secondary with Byrd as well.

Add in McGee and those are 4 very good corners IMO going into this season. They may bring Ron along more slowly than Gilmore simply based on the combination of the Vets we have (McGee and Florence) and his draft slot as Gilmore I think is penciled in as a day 1 starter unless he fails to impress and struggles in camp.

Man, even as I write this I just can not help be get giddy with excitement over the potential of this D. It is still premature, but this D has the potential, talent wise, to be one of the best in the league as soon as this year and for years to come. We are suddenly very deep at DB, have talented safeties, drafted some very intriguing young LB prospects that have the potential to challenge for reps early, and have what I believe is the best front 4 in the NFL right now, at least from a talent perspective (still gotta prove it on the field).

Byrd and Wilson holding down the safeties spots...two young physical corners in Williams and Gilmore...a proven vet and a physical Brooks coming in on nickel and dime packages, Barnett leading the young LB's and Dareus and Kyle pushing the middle and Mark and Mario flying off the edges...holy sh*t that sounds bad ass! Then there is still the additional wild card of a healthy Merriman and being able to rotate him around the DE and OLB spots to bring more heat...

Wow, this FO has completely transformed this D fast! Again, its premature, but on paper I am like holy sh*t the potential is high!

I feel the same way about Brooks, he will get lots of time on special teams and he will eventually work his way onto the field in dime situations. Seeing that he didn't get as much playing time at LSU as he would have gotten elsewhere, I think you are very correct that he will be brought along slowly.

I am not expecting him to be a probowler as a DB, but I do think he will have a very solid career.

On paper these D looks great. I think by the end of the season we will not only have the best front 4 in football, but also the best Secondary.

I feel the same way about Brooks, he will get lots of time on special teams and he will eventually work his way onto the field in dime situations. Seeing that he didn't get as much playing time at LSU as he would have gotten elsewhere, I think you are very correct that he will be brought along slowly.

I am not expecting him to be a probowler as a DB, but I do think he will have a very solid career.

On paper these D looks great. I think by the end of the season we will not only have the best front 4 in football, but also the best Secondary.

I love the optimism.

There's good reason for it.

Go Bills.

Good stuff, Brooks is a starter on any other defense in the SEC. IMO

The comments by one poster and one scouting report suggest Brooks will have "a solid career."

But isn't the point of this guy that he has mad skills and a very high upside?

Seems more like a big-play, impact guy than a solid player to me. JMO.

I said he should solid career; again this is all "on paper" based on everything I have read and what the plays I have watched thus far.

He does have high upside and he seems like he should be an impact player as a Special Teamer. How will he develop as a CB? Solid career is a conservative hope; hell I would love the guy to be a big time pro bowler playmaker who has an HOF career! I am not going to make that proclamation until he steps foot on the field in the NFL and is given a chance to develop... :flirt:

I noticed no mention of McKelvin. Is there any chance he improves. I thought he made the leap from not very good to just below average last year. If he can make a giant leap to better than average that would be great.

I was getting excited about Brooks until your Mallet comments made me doubt your evaluation skills. Mallet is a crack head with the speed of Frankenstein. If you can name one crack head that runs like Frankenstein in the NFL Hall of Fame I will revise my opinion. Until then my guess is that Brooks will suck.

I was getting excited about Brooks until your Mallet comments made me doubt your evaluation skills. Mallet is a crack head with the speed of Frankenstein. If you can name one crack head that runs like Frankenstein in the NFL Hall of Fame I will revise my opinion. Until then my guess is that Brooks will suck.

Dan Marino

What do you have against crack?