RD 4, Pick #124: CB Ron Brooks - LSU

SDS

youtube.com/watch?v=Xh-nKyoR1L4&feature=related

SEC Def Player of the Week against Ole Miss. He had a pick 6, a sack with a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. They had him blitzing off the edge a lot in the Arkansas game. :thumbsup:

Yeah, like was mentioned, with 4.37 speed (timed on a slow track), when this kid lines up on the slot receiver and blitzes… he's gonna disrupt the play more times than not.

The video shows he's an excellent gunner too.

I see him blocking some kicks and punts in his career too. He not only has great straight-line speed but he also has great agility and change of direction.

I'm actually more impressed with Brooks than I am with Graham (our 3rd round receiver).

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already did.

Ummm.....OK then

didn't see anything in your opinion that was factual or evidenced-based, that's why I asked for something more conclusive.

But if you want to throw it out there, we'll see....

Anyone who doesn't like this pick doesn't know Ron Brooks. This dude is mean and a playmaker. Only reason he wasn't a full time starter was because of numbers.

2010 Patrick peterson and Mo Claiborne were your starters. Brooks, Badger, and Tharold Simon split reps in the nickel. Brooks is no Peterson or Claiborne, but who really is?

2011 Claiborne and Tharold Simon were your starters. With Brooks and Badger in the nickel.. Only reason Simon was the #2 DB because he's 6'4 with coverage ability. Look for Simon to also be a first rounder when he comes out. Also because Badger was a must to keep in the Nickel because of what he does that made him a finalist for the heisman.

Brooks could have started for any other team in the country. He's that good. I don't ever remember seeing him out of position his whole career. He's smart. What you're getting is a DB with Brooks is not elite, but great coverage ability. Elite speed. Can kick return. And will hit you if you're in the way.

Look up what Brooks did to Auburn when he to start opposite of Claiborne when both Simon and Badger got suspended.

Mc Shay called him an underrated cover corner, he made the most of his playing time, could be a steal in this draft.

Ummm.....OK then

didn't see anything in your opinion that was factual or evidenced-based, that's why I asked for something more conclusive.

Reread my post. Take your time if you need to.

I don't see how, he's not bad because he loses his man frequently, he's bad because even though he ends up where he's supposed to be he always gets outcompeted for the ball.

He's fine as long as the ball is in front of him around eye level. When he's got to track the ball over his head is when he gets in trouble.

There's a place for him on this team, but I don't think it's a great idea leaving him out on the edge in man.

This guy will be better than Claiborne - mark my words.

And I'm not saying this because one of the reasons is that he is a Buffalo Bill. I'm saying it because it is the only reason.

Ummm.....OK then

His reasoning is crystal clear.

I think this pick is looking a year or two down the road for our CB situation. Florence has two years left, and McKelvin and McGee each have one. Now, with some difficulty, I can forsee McKelvin proving himself useful enough to stay on down the depth chart. I cannot say that for McGee, who is now 8 years past his Pro Bowl season and isn't getting any quicker.

I love this kid. He will be a starter down the line b/c of his instincts, agility and smarts. He would have been a starter anywhere outside LSU. Buddy knows that. Had he been a starter, he would have been a 2nd rounder. This pick has me excited.

It will help, but in my opinion McKelvin's biggest roadblock is between his ears. He just doesn't seem to understand the game.

McKelvin's biggest problem is located between his shoulders and his head, since he appears incapable of turning his neck to find the ball when it is thrown to his receiver. If he could just remove the bolts and free up his neck he would be a very good cover man because he is usually in good position.

Edited by vincec

I believe the Bills overall plan for free agency/draft is to build a roster designed to beat NE. Something Buddy might characterize by saying 'you got to kick the big dog off the front porch if you want to walk through the front door'.

I think the Brooks picks falls right into it. A fast, aggressive DB with cover skills and ball instincts that plays bigger than his size lining up against Wekler as the slot DB aided by an extreme upgrade in the pash rush. Work to take away the #1 option, pressure the QB, force the opposition into mistakes and dictate the flow of the game.

The future nickel secondary might be Williams, Bryd, Searcy, Gilmore, Brooks.

Like Buddy's choices so far.

I believe the Bills overall plan for free agency/draft is to build a roster designed to beat NE. Something Buddy might characterize by saying 'you got to kick the big dog off the front porch if you want to walk through the front door'.

I think the Brooks picks falls right into it. A fast, aggressive DB with cover skills and ball instincts that plays bigger than his size lining up against Wekler as the slot DB aided by an extreme upgrade in the pash rush. Work to take away the #1 option, pressure the QB, force the opposition into mistakes and dictate the flow of the game.

The future nickel secondary might be Williams, Bryd, Searcy, Gilmore, Brooks.

Like Buddy's choices so far.

Great post… especially your hypothetical buddy-speak!

We should do a thread on this someday like we did the "Things Jauron would say" thread.

Reread my post. Take your time if you need to.

I already read your post - a couple times. I don't see any facts or evidence to support your opinion, and I'm not going to get into a pissing match asking you to explain your opinion. If he turns out to be better than Claiborne, that's great for the Bills.

BTW, I don't care if you're an Administrator or how many posts you have written - there is no reason whatsoever to be condescending and sarcastic. I can read just fine, and I don't appreciate the tone.