Chris Hairston

97 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hairston a good enough starter?

Ive been watching Hairston Closely on NFL Game Rewind. I know Buddy says we can win with him, but what does TBD think?

where's your cousin captain foresight for the answer? :P

Seriously though what did you see on rewind? Anything that stuck out? I don't have the option of that but do pay attention to the lines and thought Hairston did well for a rookie. Add in the whole no tc, no offseason activities, thrown to the wolves and I voted yes to this question. However I would like to hear what you have to say about it.

For a rookie who was a mid-round draft pick, I don't know how anyone could say he doesn't have the potential to be a starter. The kid was a heckuva solid pick up for us. We need to find one or two more Chris Hairstons THIS year.

where's your cousin captain foresight for the answer? :P

Seriously though what did you see on rewind? Anything that stuck out? I don't have the option of that but do pay attention to the lines and thought Hairston did well for a rookie. Add in the whole no tc, no offseason activities, thrown to the wolves and I voted yes to this question. However I would like to hear what you have to say about it.

Hes on vacation ;)

Frankly I thought he struggled more than people realize. He pretty good at getting in the way and doesnt get beat on the edge often but he can be bull rushed and collapsed that way. Personally I'm not ready to anoint him the starter just yet

I give Hairston some slack because he was a rookie with NO OTAs, and then missed a bunch of time due to injury, yet he still came in and at least held his own.

I also dont see a Tackle outside of Kalil, that for certain, would come in and beat him out for the spot.

So yes, Im fine with Hairston starting if that is how it works out. Another year in the system, playing next to the same guys, and with a full offseason worth of workouts and coaching... could be worse.

I would still like to see the Bills bring in a couple of OTs from the 3rd-5th rounds to push the competition, and provide depth behind Hairston and Pears.

I can't cite any specific stats or plays or anything, but I felt like Spiller didn't look like a superstar until Hairston took over for Bell last season. I remember Hairston absolutely crushing guys with blocks in the run game. He wasn't always perfect in the pass-blocking, but certainly a good rookie season. FYI, at the 2011 combine, he had 33 reps on the benchpress, the highest of any OT player.

Personally I think at this point he is a better tackle then both Rieff or Martin so I would not waste a first on them. The only linemen I would take in the first is DeCastro and then kick Levitre to LT as he is a pretty good LT and Hairston can then be used as the backup swing tackle.

I'm okay with him penciled in as the starter in August as long as there is a viable "Plan B" if he ***** the bed prior to the season opener. I would like them to avoid what happened last year when the Bills counted on Merriman last year only to end up playing guys like Spencer Johnson at OLB as "Plan B", after Merriman to no ones surprise....went down for the season.

Edited by LabattBlue

As a rookie with no offseason last year he was solid, with a full offseason of coaching and work he can only get better, there is no rookie who will start over him in week one

Agreed. If Buddy can find another Hairston or two in the middle rounds for depth and competition then it would be just dandy. It will be interesting what will happen if Kalil ends up sliding to 10. Probably won't happen though.

I say yes.

I thought he looked pretty good without the advantages of a full offseason of preparation and practice.

For him, I think overall physical condition is a big factor here. If he comes to camp fit, he'll be real good.

I give Hairston some slack because he was a rookie with NO OTAs, and then missed a bunch of time due to injury, yet he still came in and at least held his own.

I also dont see a Tackle outside of Kalil, that for certain, would come in and beat him out for the spot.

So yes, Im fine with Hairston starting if that is how it works out. Another year in the system, playing next to the same guys, and with a full offseason worth of workouts and coaching... could be worse.

I would still like to see the Bills bring in a couple of OTs from the 3rd-5th rounds to push the competition, and provide depth behind Hairston and Pears.

DrD is rigtht. He'll due. As Leslie Frasier just said, LTs arent game changers anyway.

Leave top 10 LT picks to teams like the Browns and Miami.

I'm surprised by the optimism of these results, frankly.

Seven uneventful starts during a dismal losing streak but, hey, we know he'll get better! It'd would certainly be a nice story, but I don't think Hollywood's ready to buy the movie right just yet...

I'm okay with him penciled in as the starter in August as long as there is a viable "Plan B" if he ***** the bed prior to the season opener. I would like them to avoid what happened last year when the Bills counted on Merriman last year only to end up playing guys like Spencer Johnson at OLB as "Plan B", after Merriman to no ones surprise....went down for the season.

Agreed.

Maybe Buddy has McNeil on his speed dial for first thing Saturday night...

I voted yes because he was a rookie and the lockout, etc. last year. I don't remember seeing him get beat all the time and letting the end get to Fitz so just based on that, I would let him start but I'm also a teen so what do I know :P

But it would be nice to grab a 2nd/3rd round LT and have Hairston hold down the fort while the rookie gets situated and adapted to the NFL.

Think need to clarify what mean by start. Is he starting caliber period, or at left tackle. Think he is very well suited to be a long term starter at right tackle, but think of him more of a swing tackle, in that can play on left side in a pinch, but isnt his best position and probably dont want him starting there long term.

I would say no, if mean just LT, and yes if RT is included in this discussion. I didnt answer cause not sure which mean.

He's got the opportunity to improve. Who knows if he can actually take a step forward. We've seen plenty of guys who have showed a little something, but have been unable to do more in subsequent years. See Ko "I'm worth Millions" Simpson.

DBell was one who started out pretty rough but was able to consistently get better. He's the exception.

I don't have a lot of faith in Hairston.

Hairston played in Games 1-6 and fared pretty well. ProFootballFocus premium stats gave him positive grades in 4 of those 6 games. Fitz was unhurt and the team had a winning record.

Hairston returned to the lineup in Games 11-17. There was a new O-Line every week. Musical Chairs Time. Hairston was one of the victims. Only 2 of the 7 games (Game 11 and 12 vs. Miami and the Jets) received positive grades from PFF.

But Hairston has the size and wingspan. He needs minicamps and training camp, preseason and CONSISTENCY on that offensive line. This is on D'Alessandris to have a defined set of starters, and on our training staff to have them ready physically for the demands of the whole season.

I am comparing his Combine numbers alone vs this years rookies.

His 40 time is horrible, but if he's going forward we are winning, I never understood forty times with the Oline, I guess it shows he can get the line of scrimmage fast?

5.43 Jonathan Martin was 5.35

Bench Press, 33, better than any OT at the combine

Vert Jump 29" would be 5th best at Combine among OT

Broad 96" bottom tier, but not the worse

3 cone -7.9 seconds better than Mike Adams and Cordy Glen

4.7- 20 yard shuttle better than Reiff, Bobby Massie, Mike Adams and .05 away from Matt Kalil.

I think he'll be fine, he played against some of the best at Clemson, beyond those you know in the ACC, he practiced against Bowers, Sapp, Branch and Malliciah Goodman.

I am comparing his Combine numbers alone vs this years rookies.

His 40 time is horrible, but if he's going forward we are winning, I never understood forty times with the Oline, I guess it shows he can get the line of scrimmage fast?

5.43 Jonathan Martin was 5.35

Bench Press, 33, better than any OT at the combine

Vert Jump 29" would be 5th best at Combine among OT

Broad 96" bottom tier, but not the worse

3 cone -7.9 seconds better than Mike Adams and Cordy Glen

4.7- 20 yard shuttle better than Reiff, Bobby Massie, Mike Adams and .05 away from Matt Kalil.

I think he'll be fine, he played against some of the best at Clemson, beyond those you know in the ACC, he practiced against Bowers, Sapp, Branch and Malliciah Goodman.

Sounds like if he was in this years draft everybody would be yelling for Hairston at #10 .Go figure....