FYI: OT Mike Adams tested positive at Combine

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but how freaking stupid can one person be? Here's his big audition for a potentially multi-million dollar career and he puts himself in a position to blow it all?

I BELIEVE marijuana stays in the bloodstream for quite a while (more than a week??) so, he's young , not TOO smart and this really attractive girl hands him a joint and smiles at him......what's one puff huh baby?

o.k. - it was dumb but at least he admitted it yada yada yada

:blush:

For marijuana?! Why does the league care about marijuana? This is annoying.

ummmmm because it's illegal maybe?

but don;t yell at me, I am o.k with making it legal. I don;t smoke but I do like my bourbon......... :devil:

For Pot

http://tracking.si.com/2012/04/19/nfl-prospect-mike-adams-tested-positive-for-marijuana-at-combine/

seems minor TO ME. If he drops to #41, I have no problem with taking him.

my 2 cents

He could fall even lower, he is really a 2nd,3rd rnd talent anyway by most ranking, with the reports this close to the draft, although teams have probably known longer. Just all the hype about LT needs in this draft driving players up.

I BELIEVE marijuana stays in the bloodstream for quite a while (more than a week??) so, he's young , not TOO smart and this really attractive girl hands him a joint and smiles at him......what's one puff huh baby?

o.k. - it was dumb but at least he admitted it yada yada yada

:blush:

ummmmm because it's illegal maybe?

but don;t yell at me, I am o.k with making it legal. I don;t smoke but I do like my bourbon......... :devil:

I don't smoke it anymore myself. And the league probably doesn't test for jaywalking or cycling on the sidewalk, which is right about where I put marijuana use on the list of important crimes.

Does the league test the (admittedly rare) under-21 candidate for alcohol use? Do other leagues where under-21s are drafted regularly? Doubt it.

This is stupid.

Not yelling at you.

I see Adams completed counseling.

Counselor: So Mike, you know smoking pot is bad, right?

Adams: Yes.

Counselor: You pass.

youtube.com/watch?v=z_dzDb5v744

Hilarious.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Well there goes any idea of Adams being in a Bills uniform.

Did you guys read where Mayock says that Vontaze Burfect is "non-draftable"? Ouch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/mayock-calls-vontaze-burfict-a-non-draftable-kid/

Which means Todd McShay loves him.

PTR

Well there goes any idea of Adams being in a Bills uniform.

Did you guys read where Mayock says that Vontaze Burfect is "non-draftable"? Ouch.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/mayock-calls-vontaze-burfict-a-non-draftable-kid/

Don't you remember the year "Vontaze" hit number one on the baby name lists?

Yeah, me neither. :doh:

Yeah but how freaking stupid can one person be? Here's his big audition for a potentially multi-million dollar career and he puts himself in a position to blow it all?

This is too true!

I mean, you are at a position in your life where you stand the chance of making more money than you ever could in your life....and you are going to tarnish it by acting stupid?

You can't put the blunt down for a couple of months until the draft passes?

Idiot!

I don't care about the Wonderlic. This buffoon fails the common sense test.

Just about any job you get is going to have random drug tests. Why does safeway care about marijuana? Or Sears?

It comes from the notion that someone who smokes weed is also a thief. Like you have to steal DVD players to support your habit.

PTR

Just about any job you get is going to have random drug tests. Why does safeway care about marijuana? Or Sears?

You didn't really mean me, did you? I doubt that I ever will have a job where I'm tested for marijuana. And I have NO idea whether Safeway or Sears care about marijuana or why they would. Because...

It comes from the notion that someone who smokes weed is also a thief. Like you have to steal DVD players to support your habit.

PTR

Seriously.

You didn't really mean me, did you? I doubt that I ever will have a job where I'm tested for marijuana. And I have NO idea whether Safeway or Sears care about marijuana or why they would. Because...

Looks like Adams may not ether if he can't lay off before maybe the most important day of his life. Drug testing is very common even if you haven't been personally exposed to it.

I don't smoke it anymore myself. And the league probably doesn't test for jaywalking or cycling on the sidewalk, which is right about where I put marijuana use on the list of important crimes.

Does the league test the (admittedly rare) under-21 candidate for alcohol use? Do other leagues where under-21s are drafted regularly? Doubt it.

This is stupid.

Not yelling at you.

yea - why would the league or teams about to invest heavily in these guys be interested in a common sense benchmark like this. its not like its embarassing when they get arrested, or a detriment if they get suspended, or a sign that they might do other terribly stupid things if they get caught on an announced annual drug test.

yea - why would the league or teams about to invest heavily in these guys be interested in a common sense benchmark like this. its not like its embarassing when they get arrested, or a detriment if they get suspended, or a sign that they might do other terribly stupid things if they get caught on an announced annual drug test.

I understand what you're saying, but that's kind of putting the cart before the horse. If the NFL didn't care about marijuana (and IMO, obviously, it shouldn't), it wouldn't test players for it. So there would be no suspension for that and no "terribly stupid thing" like getting caught on an announced test for it.

As for arrests, I can't imagine anyone doing time for smoking the stuff, although I never was caught back in the day. Seems to me that possession of a personal use quantity charges seldom result in jail time (so the player won't miss practice or games) even in the rare instances in which they're brought.

For marijuana?! Why does the league care about marijuana? This is annoying.

Because it's illegal. whether we like it or not.. Its a was a bad choice and could cost him millions..i hope he gets into a good rehab program..

If he slips to the second round I would take him but not at 41. If we could get him somewhere in the mid to late 50's or early 60's by trading up from 72 packing in with out 4th I would do it. I think Adams is a high ceiling prospect that would be worth a chance at him in the mid late 2nd (Esp considering we have an a lot of picks in the mid to late rounds).

This is too true!

I mean, you are at a position in your life where you stand the chance of making more money than you ever could in your life....and you are going to tarnish it by acting stupid?

You can't put the blunt down for a couple of months until the draft passes?

Idiot!

I don't care about the Wonderlic. This buffoon fails the common sense test.

It baffles me. Just how stupid can you be? It's not like this is a surprise test. It's AT THE COMBINE. Everyone knows about it in advance!

I understand what you're saying, but that's kind of putting the cart before the horse. If the NFL didn't care about marijuana (and IMO, obviously, it shouldn't), it wouldn't test players for it. So there would be no suspension for that and no "terribly stupid thing" like getting caught on an announced test for it.

As for arrests, I can't imagine anyone doing time for smoking the stuff, although I never was caught back in the day. Seems to me that possession of a personal use quantity charges seldom result in jail time (so the player won't miss practice or games) even in the rare instances in which they're brought.

well, we do frequently hear about guys getting caught with it by police.

and a basic screen for illegal drugs is pretty standard across not just all sports, but a wide variety of careers.

and if someone is dumb enough to get caught at the combine, i really do question what else they would be dumb enough to do. id have to guess the percentages of players that have positive tests (especially at an obvious announced test) correlates strongly with things like work ethic (dont take your job serious enough) or future arrests and even just headaches for teams that we never hear about (issues with authority, and ignoring it if they dont like it). obviously not true for 100% of guys, but youd have to believe theres a correlation.

the kid getting caught at the combine isnt some giddy 14 year old thats never kissed a girl and just got passed a joint by his big crush and its his first puff. these are all-star players that went through HS and college with likely little consequence for actions getting pretty much whatever they want. most still "get it" and what it takes to get by but its got to be a pretty big red flag that a guy doesnt "get it" at this stage. Coupled with the unlimited resources to get ready for the announced test, the fact that he didnt care enough to eith hold off for a couple weeks, or was belligerent enough to not care, or do it close enough and frequent enough that he couldnt go buy a kit to test clean.... huge red flags, regardless of your take on marijuana.

i dont care if they test them for chocolate chip cookie consumption, if a kid cant lay off for a week before a known test for ANYTHING - its worrisome.

Edited by NoSaint

Happens every single year.

And they watch these guys slide, even if just a half to full round, and lose hundreds of thousands or millions. You'd think with the ohio st stuff Adams would be a bit more cautious about trouble, even if it's something he doesn't agree with.

Seriously.

Why do you think you won't have a job that cares about marijuana? FWIW, I don't care one way or the other if someone smokes pot once in a while and I'll agree that it isn't any worse than alcohol. However, I am in a reasonably highly paid profession (not a doctor or lawyer, though) and I can assure you that if I change jobs, I will have to submit to a drug test.

This is stupid.

Not yelling at you.

Cycling on the sidewalk is probably more dangerous than Pot. You can hurt yourself and others. Pot on the other hand not so much

If he were to go to jail for the offense, for a year, it would cost about $100,000 to taxpayers.

Cops consider pot a sign, though, that the person might be breaking other laws. The cops I know have smoked, and driven drunk, ironically.