How good is Mario Williams really?

QB Bills

Good enough to dominate a game? Good enough to single-handedly change the course of things? Cause I haven't seen it whenever I've watched him play, which again hasn't been too often. It seems to me that he is comparable to a Julius Peppers as far as impact goes... nothing wrong with that at all, just nothing close to an all-time great.

I don't think I gave that impression in my post and I agree wholeheartedly. Anybody putting him up there with the all time greats at DE is not being rational.

But he has had games where he's simply dominated and changed the course of the game through his play. I'll know what his impact is by how he changes the course of things for those around him on this new defense as the season progresses. So far, I only like what I see on paper.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think I gave that impression in my post and I agree wholeheartedly. Anybody putting him up there with the all time greats at DE is not being rational.

But he has had games where he's simply dominated and changed the course of the game through his play. I'll know what his impact is by how he changes the course of things for those around him on this new defense as the season progresses. So far, I only like what I see on paper.

GO BILLS!!!

You didn't really give that impression, just adding to my earlier take I guess. I am sure looking forward to watching him this year!

Lets face it....There is only one Bruce.

Doesnt mean this guy isn't going to be a impact player for us.....

Honestly...I think that might be another reason why he came to us...lets face it....playing on a line with the our DT's is gonna really set those bowling pins up so he can throw strikes

I think that is one of the main reasons he came to the Bills, besides the money obviously. He knows that between Williams and Dareus, there are three less Olineman to block him. He also spent a considerable amount of time with the coaching staff and K.Williams going over schemes. I think he wanted to go somewhere that would let his abilites shine. Get to the passer, first and foremost. As far as the leadership stuff goes, i think Dareus is going to be the leader of this D for the next few years.

ive taken it upon my slef to watch every mario williams play the last two years (i need a hobby, I know) He is very quick and very strong, sets the edge well, can spin, bullrush. Like !@#$tastic good is the best way to describe it

He also creates great distance between himself and the defender. This gives him a lot of leverage since he is powerful and can play low enough to drive defenders back. RT's were defenseless against him when I saw the matchups. LT's are sometimes quick enough to push him around the QB.

The question in my mind, and what I can't wait to see, is how much better is he going to make everyone else?

Who does the O-Line double-team? You can only pick one guy without resorting to using TE's and RB's to chip block and provide pass protection. How will not having to cover guys all over the field while the QB sits in the pocket unfazed and focused impact the performance of the secondary? How will the linebackers perform running down plays, filling holes, shooting gaps, and making tackles without the center and guards being able to get out on them?

My expectation is the Bills are going to put a pretty good pressure defense on the field and its going to cause a lot of problems for the offenses they face this coming season.

I think its the other way around. How many more sacks will he get with KW and Dareus folding the middle like a napkin...He and anderson may both go double digits this year...what a great problem to have

I think its the other way around. How many more sacks will he get with KW and Dareus folding the middle like a napkin...He and anderson may both go double digits this year...what a great problem to have

This can't be stated enough, and has been pointed out by a few others in this thread already.

Taking a player with his skill set, and adding him to a D-Line with K. Williams and Dareus, is already leaps and bounds better than the D-Line he was playing on with the Texans.

All 3 players, along with our other DE (whomever that ends up being) will benefit greatly by him coming to our team.

We as a fan base should be focusing on the WHOLE defensive line's improvement, not just what Mario will be doing by himself. He won't have to do it by himself, he's just another piece that takes pressure off of everyone else around him. You can't double every D-lineman on our team, someone's going to get through on almost every single passing play.

Offenses should be put on alert; "Prepare your anus" would be appropriate here.

I watch the Texans as a casual fan only, but I can tell you that he's considered to be more of a follower than a leader. Immense physical talent, but his fire needs to be stoked by others. If he's held to a high standard by his teammates, he'll rise to that level. I think we're gonna be very pleased.

The Hulkster will take care of that.

Whats great about super Mario is that teams will need to either double team him or chip on him with the TE so he immediately changes the Bills defense all by himself.

Then when teamed up with Anderson, Williams, and Marcel Darius on that line is causes the other 3 to be singles up, so someones getting a sack or strong pressure every pass play.

Super Mario makes the line better, makes the secondary better because now opposing teams can't hold the ball forever while waiting for receivers to break open. The pass rush will cause QB's to hurry throws and disrupt their rhythm.

My only worry is now teams will try and run more against the Bills questionable LBer corps

1333014337[/url]' post='2424951']

Whats great about super Mario is that teams will need to either double team him or chip on him with the TE so he immediately changes the Bills defense all by himself.

Then when teamed up with Anderson, Williams, and Marcel Darius on that line is causes the other 3 to be singles up, so someones getting a sack or strong pressure every pass play.

Super Mario makes the line better, makes the secondary better because now opposing teams can't hold the ball forever while waiting for receivers to break open. The pass rush will cause QB's to hurry throws and disrupt their rhythm.

My only worry is now teams will try and run more against the Bills questionable LBer corps

They're also running against that same monster DL.

I can see him and Anderson having friendly wagers on who will get more sacks. And with Kyle and Marcel between them, taking up blockers, it will only help both.

they better not, the commish is handing out big penalties for that these days

He seems a little mercurial at times, but with the other guys he'll be lined up with, it will create major match up problems for the Oline.

I'm more concerned with the effect of a contract that size on a defensive player. Haynesworth lost his desire but Peppers didn't. You just never know.

Wagers on sacks I don't think they'll care. After all guys have performance clauses that reflect individual stats. It's getting money with intent to injure like the Aints did that they're rightfully looking to stamp out.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

During Mario's PC, he mentioned how former Bills, and current Texans, DL coach Bill Kollar talking about how "if we had a DT like Kyle Williams..." His defense in Houston was crap up until last year, with the only good 3 players being himself and Ryans for awhile, and then Cushing (Robinson was severely overrated).

Running won't be any easier.

It would be a wager between, at most, the DL. And on the QT.

I think the value of the Williams signing increased when Anderson was acquired.

Sort of like adding Bryce Paup (I know, diff position) to a D that included Bruce Smith. You can't double team everyone.