What Player Would you Take Based on These Combine Numbers?

Prospect A

Position:Linebacker

Size:6'3 242 lbs

40 yard dash: 4.58

Bench Reps:27

3 cone drill: 6.92

Vert: 38 inches

20 yard shuttle: 4.12

Broad Jump: 123 inches

Prospect B

Position: Linebacker

Size: 6'1 242lbs

40 yard dash: 4.51

Bench Reps: 22

3 cone drill: 7.23

Vert: 39 inches

20 yard shuttle: 4.46

Broad Jump: 119 inches

--------------------------------------------------

I'm sure the majority of you guys would pick Prospect A, then B. Any guesses on which prospects these combine numbers belong to? Well, Prospect A= Luke Kuechly, and Prospect B= Patrick Willis.

We all know how much of a freak Patrick Willis is, so this puts in perspective how athletic Kuechly is. It's crazy to think they weighed in at 242lbs and had pretty similar numbers except for 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle. Also, if we draft him then he'd be just one pick sooner than when Patrick Willis was drafted (11th pick in the 2007 draft). Kuechly also had 100 more tackles in his senior year than Willis' senior year, and had better stats in almost every category. I fully expect Kuechly to be as much as a game changer as Patrick Willis in the pros.

The biggest knock on Kuechly is that he doesn't cause too much damage in the backfield, but hat's exactly what we're paying Dareus, Kyle, and Mario to do. Kuechly will be able to fly around the field, rack up tons of tackles, make tons of plays, and be able to cover bigger guys like Gronk. Mayock said he's the best drop linebacker he's ever seen. He's better in almost every aspect than Poz. He has the production, the instincts, and athleticism to be an absolute force on our defense for the next 15 years (he's only 20 years old).

If you haven't seen his tape, you should start with this video.

If we pass on this kid, be prepared to watch him tear it up for a long time.

Neither. If combine numbers is all you have.

Jeff George could throw it a mile....Jemarcus Russel could throw it a half mile....from his knees! (did you see that on youtube? :P)

And Ryan Leaf was "superior" to Peyton Manning in every measurable category there is, or ever will be.

In contrast, George Wilson is a football player, not a practice/weight room/press conference/magazine cover hero, who will hit them in the mouth, win you a game if he gets the chance(um, NE), and won't be douching around in Hollywood any time soon.

Now, ask yourself....which of these 2 kids is most like Wilson = willing to change positions, or whatever else it takes to make it, and then once he gets his opportunity, to excel, in the NFL? That's who we need. They have to have talent/learned skills or they wouldn't be rated this high. But, talent is not enough.

Edit: Or, the quicker way to say this = would you rather have Mark Sanchez or Ryan Fitzpatrick on this team right now?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Glad to see others have posted along the lines of "You dont take players based on combine numbers". :nana:

That being said, Kuechly has started to grow on me. Not sure about him at #10 though. Maybe in a trade down, or more likely a trade up from our 2nd, scenario. But I'd be very happy to see him as a selection.

The more research I do, Im finding that there are a number of good LB prospects in this draft that should be available into the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Will be interesting to see who we end up with.

Edited by DrDareustein

Jeez guys, he was only using the combine as a way to compare his measurables to an NFL superstar. The production that everyone cares about is there too. I think he's an exciting prospect. As sure a thing you could get at 10.

Dude, some of us are merely trying to stave off the nonsense.

It's not personal to this guy or this post. It actually cannot be. Not when this is the first of 10k posts/threads like it, most much worse than this, that are based on faulty premises.

I'm not debating whether this kid is a quality prospect or not. If we are going to take a LB in Rd (or any early round) I would like it to be an OLB

Id ass-u-me if we drafted Kuechly, it would be to play the SAM spot Outside.

I think they like having Shep in the Middle to thud. Let Kuechly roam.

Prospect A

Prospect B

I'm sure the majority of you guys would pick Prospect A, then B. Any guesses on which prospects these combine numbers belong to? Well, Prospect A= Luke Kuechly, and Prospect B= Patrick Willis.

We all know how much of a freak Patrick Willis is, so this puts in perspective how athletic Kuechly is. It's crazy to think they weighed in at 242lbs and had pretty similar numbers except for 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle. Also, if we draft him then he'd be just one pick sooner than when Patrick Willis was drafted (11th pick in the 2007 draft). Kuechly also had 100 more tackles in his senior year than Willis' senior year, and had better stats in almost every category. I fully expect Kuechly to be as much as a game changer as Patrick Willis in the pros.

The biggest knock on Kuechly is that he doesn't cause too much damage in the backfield, but hat's exactly what we're paying Dareus, Kyle, and Mario to do. Kuechly will be able to fly around the field, rack up tons of tackles, make tons of plays, and be able to cover bigger guys like Gronk. Mayock said he's the best drop linebacker he's ever seen. He's better in almost every aspect than Poz. He has the production, the instincts, and athleticism to be an absolute force on our defense for the next 15 years (he's only 20 years old).

youtube.com/watch?v=lXSfQWM0f3Y

I don't think those numbers are right for Willis. I seem to remember him posting a 4.37 in the 40! Maybe it was a proday though.

You guys clearly are not understanding the meaning of this post. I'll be honest, before really looking into I thought he was another Poz. And when you hear about instictive linebackers, athleticism isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Yes I know, numbers aren't everything, but they do translate to the field (If they didn't there wouldn't be a combine). This comparison was made to prove that Kuechly has the athleticism of a Patrick Willis. Sure, they're different players but I've seen a bunch of posts saying Kuechly is not on Patrick Willis' level and he's the same player as Poz, even though it couldn't be further from the truth.

Everybody calm down, and not jump the gun when a person starts comparing combine numbers.

I'd take this:

Over this:

Luke Kuechly to me, compares very favorably to Paul Posluszny. Decent in run support, not so great in coverage, and a little tight in the hips. I don't understand all the hype as far as a top 10 talent. I see him as more of a top 40 prospect to a team looking for a strong MLB. There no way Kuechly would survive as an OLB in the NFL, IMO. Like I said, just doesn't look fluid when he drops into coverage.

I'd take this:

Over this:

Luke Kuechly to me, compares very favorably to Paul Posluszny. Decent in run support, not so great in coverage, and a little tight in the hips. I don't understand all the hype as far as a top 10 talent. I see him as more of a top 40 prospect to a team looking for a strong MLB. There no way Kuechly would survive as an OLB in the NFL, IMO. Like I said, just doesn't look fluid when he drops into coverage.

Kuechly is known for being excellent in coverage.

I really like Lavonte and would love him in the second if we don't take Kuechly.

I don't think those numbers are right for Willis. I seem to remember him posting a 4.37 in the 40! Maybe it was a proday though.

Yeah that was his proday 40 time.

Edited by TheBuffaloBills

I've watched every game that Kuechly played at BC and I cant tell you that he always stands out as one of the best players on the field. The kid is more fluid than Poz and is a better athlete overall. He also has incredible instincts and is always around the ball. If we have the chance to get him at #10 I would be siked to have him, I'm just not sure that's our greatest need at this point.

Anyways, all I'm trying to say is that his college tape backs up his combine numbers. This kid is going to be a stud linebacker for the next decade.. I have no doubts about that.

Neither. If combine numbers is all you have.

Jeff George could throw it a mile....Jemarcus Russel could throw it a half mile....from his knees! (did you see that on youtube? :P)

And Ryan Leaf was "superior" to Peyton Manning in every measurable category there is, or ever will be.

In contrast, George Wilson is a football player, not a practice/weight room/press conference/magazine cover hero, who will hit them in the mouth, win you a game if he gets the chance(um, NE), and won't be douching around in Hollywood any time soon.

Now, ask yourself....which of these 2 kids is most like Wilson = willing to change positions, or whatever else it takes to make it, and then once he gets his opportunity, to excel, in the NFL? That's who we need. They have to have talent/learned skills or they wouldn't be rated this high. But, talent is not enough.

Edit: Or, the quicker way to say this = would you rather have Mark Sanchez or Ryan Fitzpatrick on this team right now?

I understand your logic. However, Kuechly has great tape and is has veteran like instincts with a high motor. Players with those descriptions usually don't have combine numbers like Kuechly's. I was just trying to point out he has the athleticism like that of Patrick Willis' to back up his instincts.

Oh and:

My link

Edited by TheBuffaloBills

Based on your title of the thread, I was ready to kill you. The Combine doesn't mean squat...yadayada..

But Kuechly's solid Combine numbers are backed up with a great college career. You make a solid point.

I understand your logic. However, Kuechly has great tape and is has veteran like instincts with a high motor. Players with those descriptions usually don't have combine numbers like Kuechly's. I was just trying to point out he has the athleticism like that of Patrick Willis' to back up his instincts.

Oh and:

My link

That's not the premise of your post, which, was my objection. If we are going to talk numbers, that's fine, as long as we talk...."look in his eyes when he made that play against X as well". That doesn't mean I want the kid who is best at celebrating after a play either. I want the kid who makes a good play, celebrates a little if appropriate, but definitely stares at the other team with a "every play, all day" look on his face.

And, what is the 10th word in your link?

Now, contrast that with Mark Sanchez's magazine activity. Get it?

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Every game and piece of tape I've seen of Kuechly indicates he's a playmaking football player. If the Bills think he's worth it at 10 then by all means they should take him. People get too hung up on where a player is selected. If you like the guy and he's rated the BPA on your board, take him.

Oh, and I don't understand how anyone could watch him and say he's not good in coverage. He's a natural at it. I even recall Mayock (BC bias aside) saying he was one of the best LBs he's ever seen being able to make proper drops in coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

Prospect A

Prospect B

youtube.com/watch?v=lXSfQWM0f3Y

Sorry I wouldn't touch him.

That really did remind me of Paul P.

I cannot comment on the kid, because I honestly do not recall ever paying attention to him to make any honest assessment.

I can say, however, that it appears that the NFL has de-valued both running backs and linebackers (particular inside linebackers). Kirk Morrison commented on this last week on Sirius. The thought is that, given that the NFL is a pass happy league, those positions are not as important as they were previously unless the particular player is effective for all three downs including in passing situations. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

In any event, I am just throwing this out there. The issue becomes, is it worthwhile taking a linebacker with the first pick in the draft unless he can rush the passer or is effective in coverage. If you had the opportunity to pick a Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis with the 10th pick, you would go ahead and pick that player. If the linebacker is a Paul P. or someone like that, there is no way I would use a 10th pick in the draft on that player.

Whoever we pick at 10, it should be someone who is going to be an impact player (whether it is this kid or someone else).

youtube.com/watch?v=I0JNVsimiwk

I would base my decision by watching actual football games.

+1. What a novel approach. Kind of like that Josh Robinson kid fron Central Florida. Great workout and super fast but was only an average football player. I'm sure the Raiders would take him if Al Davis was still around. Not saying this guy is average .. just saying to use the measurables to try and prove a point is very little proof to me.

I'd take this:

Over this:

Based on that clip, I would agree with you about LK .He Seemed a completely little lost in pass coverage.

But that is a small sampling size.

The guy was second behind Von Miller last year & this year he wins the award ---- HMMM let me see --- we need a LB and this guy is one of if not the best to be coming out this year ---- I think Buddy probably has his eyes on him !!

Prospect A

Bench Reps: 27

Prospect B

Prospect C

Size: 6'3 245 lbs

40 yard dash: 4.50 (also ran a 4.43)

Bench Reps: 23

3 cone drill: 6.70

Vert: 33.5 inches

20 yard shuttle: 4.03

Notice how the mystery Prospect C is bigger, faster, and more agile than the other two. His vertical jump isn't as good nor is his bench press but he plays with much more power than Keuchly. In fact the mystery prospect played DE in a 3-3 and 3-4 scheme routinely going up against 300 pound offensive tackles… and more than holding his own. He's an elite pass rusher who is also very good against the run.

He was not asked to drop into coverage too often but shows excellent instincts and his agility (3-cone and short shuttle) were obvious on tape and were the best times at the combine. If he was coached to cover recievers, I have zero doubt he'd excel at it.

Personally I think Luke Keuchly is a good player but a bit overrated.

Let's add from last year's draft:

Prospect D

Size: 6'2 5/8 246 lbs

40 yard dash: 4.53

Bench Reps: 21

3 cone drill: 6.70

Vert: 37 inches

20 yard shuttle: 4.06

Broad Jump: 126 inches

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan