Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

ANYONE surprised ? ?

Then you haven't been paying attention.

ABC News Accused of Dishonestly Editing Zimmerman Juror to Take 'Got Away With Murder' Out of Context

According to all reports, Juror B29, the sole nonwhite juror on the George Zimmerman trial, said the neighborhood watch volunteer got away with murder. But Slate's William Saletan says not so fast, and accused the network on Friday of deceptive editing and manipulation to get the answers they wanted.

According to Saletan, the juror -- identified only by her first name, Maddy -- has "been framed as the woman who was bullied out of voting to convict Zimmerman."

But, he said, that's simply not true.

Saletan said she stands by the not guilty verdict.

"She yielded to the evidence and the law, not to bullying. She thinks Zimmerman was morally culpable but not legally guilty. And she wants us to distinguish between this trial and larger questions of race and justice," he wrote.

He went on to say the interview that ABC aired "has been cut and spliced in different ways, often so artfully that the transitions appear continuous."

The full, unedited video of the interview was not available when Saletan published his article.

But, he added, "the video that’s available already shows, on closer inspection, that Maddy has been manipulated and misrepresented."

For starters, he said the phrase "got away with murder" was put in her mouth.

“Some people have said, ‘George Zimmerman got away with murder. How do you respond to those people who say that?’" Robin Roberts asked.

"George Zimmerman got away with murder. But you can’t get away from God,” the juror responded.

But Saletan said that’s not quite how the exchange took place.

"In the unedited video, Roberts’ question is longer, with words that have been trimmed from the Nightline version, and Maddy pauses twice, for several seconds, as she struggles to answer it," he said.

Saletan said one has to watch the juror, not just listen to her words. According to Saletan, Maddy is trying to reconcile the premise of the question with her own sentiment, and repeats the quote, adding her own words to indicate that while Zimmerman was found not guilty, he would eventually have to answer to a higher authority.

"She thinks he’s morally culpable, not legally guilty," he added.

Saletan also said that while she stands by her verdict, ABC edited her response to make it appear as though she intended to say something else.

"I felt like I let a lot of people down, and I'm thinking to myself, 'Did I go the right way? Did I go the wrong way?'" she said in the online story published by ABC.

"But that's not the whole quote," Saletan said.

Slate Link:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2013/07/did_george_zimmerman_get_away_with_murder_no_juror_b29_is_being_framed.html

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not knowing all the facts, my first instinct is a reasonable person would not have been in fear of great bodily harm or death from someone outside 30' away. Just me, I'll keep an opened mind though. Hope the youngster doesn't die from his trespass.

inside of that fenced in area, 2am, and most importantly at someone else's car. Add that this kid reached in his pocket or such on a guy who had a newborn and a pregnant wide inside.

inside of that fenced in area, 2am, and most importantly at someone else's car. Add that this kid reached in his pocket or such on a guy who had a newborn and a pregnant wide inside.

In fairness to him, he prefaced his ignorant conclusion with "not knowing all the facts". He's obviously qualified to be a big box media expert.

In fairness to him, he prefaced his ignorant conclusion with "not knowing all the facts". He's obviously qualified to be a big box media expert.

It is scary how this case is going to be snowballed to the Trayvon Martin incident. One that is completely different, where an assault occered.

This kid, I will give him the benefit of the doubt, was 30 feet away. But, that is neither here nor there in this case. This kid made what was deemed a threatening action and at 2am you are going to have a different filter onthen you will at 2pm. We do not need to know, because it is not relevant, that this kid never carried a weapon according to his family. We do not need to know that his brother said he is a nice guy who would not hurt a soul. Nor do we need to know he is white, black, hispanic or purple.

This kid was in a place he did not belong which makes him a threat to anyone in that area. On top of that he was displaying criminal behavior, if he was not flat out committing criminal behavior.

This kid was in a place he did not belong which makes him a threat to anyone in that area. On top of that he was displaying criminal behavior, if he was not flat out committing criminal behavior.

So (as was argued by many earlier in the thread) the kid instigated the situation, by not staying where he should of.

So (as was argued by many earlier in the thread) the kid instigated the situation, by not staying where he should of.

To the point of criminality? Grey area that a jury will have to describe.

To the point of self defense? Clearly, no.

To the point of reasonable use of defense in protecting ones home and family? Clearly, yes.

Many will argue this kid does not have violence in his past. I would argue that many thieves, burglars and carjackers do not...until that one time where things get out of control and they just shoot.

This guy likely just stopped what could have been and would have likely been a future violent crime criminal.

The juror who voted to acquit GZ, yet feels he is guilty, is a scary insight into the quality and degree of commitment and concentration of jurors today.

Actually, it's rather a good sign. It means that they looked at the evidence presented and applied the facts as they found them to the law. The jury set aside their personal feelings and did their job.

Many will argue this kid does not have violence in his past. I would argue that many thieves, burglars and carjackers do not...until that one time where things get out of control and they just shoot.

This guy likely just stopped what could have been and would have likely been a future violent crime criminal.

...or could have become a future President of the United states.

if the kid hopped a fence to get onto this guy's property and it was 2am, then nobody should be surprised that he was shot. under the same conditions, I like to think that I would hold the gun on the kid while I phoned the police, but I'm honestly not sure what I'd do.

ABC Still Corrupting Zimmerman case

by Jack Cashill

FTA:

ABC's reporting on this case has descended to a hitherto unexplored level of journalistic malfeasance. "He called police. They suggested he stay in his car," Robert says in her introduction to Maddy's interview. How, one wonders, could ABC get something so fundamental so wrong at this stage of the game? No, the dispatcher, who is not a police officer, never suggested Zimmerman stay in his truck, nor did he even recommend he go back to it. Disinformation of this caliber has fed black paranoia for more than a year and continues unabated.

This corruption, I suppose, should not surprise. From the very beginning, ABC News took the lead in disinforming America about the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. The Martin family public relations guru, the very white Ryan Julison, was bragging about landing interviews with ABC within two weeks of the shooting in February 2012. "Coordinated interviews with Good Morning America and the family of Trayvon Martin," Julison boasted on his Facebook page on March 10 of that year. "This has certainly struck a nerve around the country."

On March 13, ABC's Matt Gutman violated just about every known rule of journalism, tweeting that George Zimmerman "shot 17yr old teen bc he was black, wore hoodie walking slowly." From day one, Gutman worked under the elitist assumption that the Sanford police were either corrupt, incompetent or both and discounted whatever information led them to refrain from arresting Zimmerman, "likely not 2 be arrested."

Edited by B-Man

if the kid hopped a fence to get onto this guy's property and it was 2am, then nobody should be surprised that he was shot. under the same conditions, I like to think that I would hold the gun on the kid while I phoned the police, but I'm honestly not sure what I'd do.

It's also a neighborhood with a lot of violent crime. I don't know what happened in this case but I know in that area I'd be VERY concerned about the person that hopped my fence at 2am as the headline OFTEN reads "homeowner killed in petty robbery" in that area. I haven't followed close but initial reports are the guy claimed the kid reached in an aggressive manner like he had a gun which would be absolutely no surprise if he did. As he was found without, that could be a lie, could be the shooter projecting fears into innocent action or the kid could've felt trapped and started to make an aggressive move just not for a weapon.

Anyone else hear GZ was pulled over and given a warning for speeding? Had a legal gun in the car too.

Edited by NoSaint

Why do I get the feeling that it will be Thanksgiving before this thread dies?

This thread has become the Last Post Wins of PPP

If Obama had a Thanksgiving it would be nothing but stuffing...yet, still not filling.

Everybody gets a drumstick

But not until next Thanksgiving, because even though the turkey's, been cooking for six years, it's not ready yet.

Would this be the Thanksgiving of Recovery 5?

(I would say 6, but clearly the first year doesn't count as it was Bush's fault the turkey wasn't ready.)

But not until next Thanksgiving, because even though the turkey's, been cooking for six years, it's not ready yet.

Well at least that's better than Single Payer health care....that bird has been in the oven for 70 years, but apparently...it's still a work in progress?

:lol:

T

Who cares? That's so last month. Hey, did you hear about the red necked eagle? He tells nig-nog jokes in the locker room and got fined for it and there's a bounty on him now from the dog raper's brother.

Gov. Rick Scott: 'Jesse Jackson owes every Floridian an apology for his reckless and divisive comments'

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott on Wednesday accused the Rev. Jesse Jackson of insulting Floridians with a series of reckless and divisive statements about the state and its "stand your ground" self-defense law. While visiting the state Capitol Tuesday, Jackson talked about efforts to repeal the law and used the phrase "Selma of our time" — a reference to civil rights marches in Alabama that helped prompt change in the 1960s. In a July 18 exchange on CNN, Jackson talked about an economic boycott to "isolate Florida as a kind of apartheid state given this whole stand your ground laws." Scott denounced both comments and demanded an apology, saying the longtime civil rights leader's words "insult Floridians and divide our state at a time when we are striving for unity and healing."

That would not and would have never happen on a bus I was on. The driver should be held on charges, the kids should be on show tomorrow - execution at noon.

I don't know that I could have been on that bus and not did anything. In hindsight it seems like when you try and do the right thing today or help out you end of being the bad guy or end up on trial.