Dolphins sign David Garrard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did have back surgery at some point last season, but this is what I was referring to:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard, who was released on the eve of the NFL season, is not interested in playing for Miami Dolphins.

Garrard says the Dolphins were one of the teams that contacted him after his Sept. 6 release and contacted him again after Chad Heene injured his shoulder against the San Diego Chargers.

Garrard said the Dolphins "were not willing to guarantee me the kind of money that reflects a real commitment."

Without a reasonable financial commitment, Garrard said he was not willing to embrace the Dolphins' 0-4 start.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-10-08/sports/sfl-miami-dolphins-garrard-1008_1_qb-david-garrard-jacksonville-jaguars-quarterback-miami-dolphins

If I recall, Trent Edwards also turned down the Dolphins last year.

Trying to emulate the Colts gameplan from last year, no doubt...

I am really hoping that karma bites the Colts in the ass for throwing the season they way that they did. Maybe Andrew and Oliver Luck will pull an Archie/Eli Manning and demand to play somewhere else.

Garrard is formidable when healthy. If he comes out firing on all pistons, watch out AFCE! He held his own in a division with both Mario and Peyton before. IMO It'd be foolish to underestimate the guy.

Yeah I wouldn't be so excited about this move from a Bills fan perspective. Garrrard is a more than capable starter with career numbers of 89 tds to 54 ints 16,003 passing yards, 17 rushing tds, and a 61.6 completion percentage. He is by far and away the best of what was left out there. All in all its an excellent pickup for the dolphins imo.

Per jay glazer on twitter

If Garrard is healthy, this is potentially a very good move for them. Garrard has consistently put up good numbers on a bad team.

He's tough, he's mature, he's a leader.

Garrard (if healthy) vs Moore is "advantage, Garrard". Henne to the Jaguars and Garrard to the 'Fins is "advantage, Fins".

It's a 1 year incentive-laden deal so they aren't tied into much.

Trying to emulate the Colts gameplan from last year, no doubt...

Except that Garrard is younger and closer to his days of being a good QB than Old Man Collins when the Colts signed him.

For those of you implying Bills fans shouldn't be "celebrating" this signing, please consider: this was CLEARLY not the direction Miami wanted to go. There's also a reason why the Jags jettisoned Garrard on the eve of the regular season last year.

Look, he's been a nice player; athletic, makes plays with his legs, etc. But he's also a fumble machine and has thrown 38 picks over his last three seasons. And he's 34.

Nobody at OBD is shaking in his boots over this.

He did have back surgery at some point last season, but this is what I was referring to:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard, who was released on the eve of the NFL season, is not interested in playing for Miami Dolphins.

Garrard says the Dolphins were one of the teams that contacted him after his Sept. 6 release and contacted him again after Chad Heene injured his shoulder against the San Diego Chargers.

Garrard said the Dolphins "were not willing to guarantee me the kind of money that reflects a real commitment."

Without a reasonable financial commitment, Garrard said he was not willing to embrace the Dolphins' 0-4 start.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-10-08/sports/sfl-miami-dolphins-garrard-1008_1_qb-david-garrard-jacksonville-jaguars-quarterback-miami-dolphins

Well, When no one else is making you an offer, and you already sat out last season opting for surgery instead so you can stage your comback this year, you have to take what you can get or retire. I just wonder how much higher "signing with miami in 2012" was over "Hanging up your cleats" on Garrards list?

Can this be the year we finally sweep the dolphins? Their overall record against us is insane. We would need a decade of sweeping them to have an even record.

Yeah, like THAT could ever happen in the NFL. :ph34r:

Maybe he can throw the ball to himself...

You do realize that people would have said the same thing about us had SJ departed....and yet of Fitz' 3832 yds, 2828 of them were caught by someone not named "Johnson"?

Likewise - Mia had 3091 yds passing and about 1890 of them were caught by someone not named "Marshall".

Bess, Fasano, and Hartline were all respectable. Bush can catch. Miami will draft additional receivers or pick them out of the cut bin, and Garrard is accustomed to playing without a stronger cast than he'll have.

#34Fan and Bowery are right. If he's healthy, he's dangerous.