Cowboys and Skins hit hard

dayman

"Redskins will not be outbid for Vincent Jackson"

except of course......if they get pickpocketed for $30 million on the way to the auction.

Serves them right. Trying to cheat the system.

The two most valuable franchises in the NFL trying to cut corners.....good job NFL. Stick it to them.

They will have enough cap space for Ben Dover.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that RG3 will be this generation's Andre Ware.

If the Skins set him up to fail, and they most likely will, then I can see that. He is much better than Ware, but team situations have killed many a career no matter the talent.

If I were RG3, even though he's all class, I'd honestly think about holding out and demanding a trade if the Skins pick me.

Huh?

The way I read it is: Part of the reason teams cant trade picks until Free Agency is to prevent them from trading away picks that they think they will lose to punishment. It gives the league time to investigate things during the offseason, and hand out punishments.

I think thats what he meant.

Holy crap. Talk about a reversal of fortune.

This offseason is going to be freaking nuts. There are sooo many free agents and a lot of good guys are getting cut.

No Washington and Dallas get B word slapped. Snyder is shaping up to the worst owner in the last 20 years. Redskins fans must be apoplectic.

Let's take Orakpo off their hands to free up cap space for the Skins! Justice served!

If the Skins cut Orakpo to free up cap space I will contribute money out of my own wallet to sign him.

The league said they can spread it out over the next two years any way they want. So they could only take half the hit this year and then next year when the cap will probably go up take the other half and soften the blow a little.

Edited by Pondslider

Holy crap. Talk about a reversal of fortune.

This offseason is going to be freaking nuts. There are sooo many free agents and a lot of good guys are getting cut.

No Washington and Dallas get B word slapped. Snyder is shaping up to the worst owner in the last 20 years. Redskins fans must be apoplectic.

If the Skins cut Orakpo to free up cap space I will contribute money out of my own wallet to sign him.

talk to a skin fan about how "good" Orakpo is you might not wanna pony up

Redskins new cap number (if they take the hit all this year) = -$4.9 MILLION :D

Bills new cap number = $32.4 million :)

Cowboys new cap number = -$5.3 million

Ya and how many on this sight complained because we wouldn't mortgage the farm like J . Jones & the Redskins owner ? According to the numbers it makes all those folks that were saying blow all that money on FA every year look like a bunch of jack asses now that these numbers come out .

But if we don't blow all that money on M Williams or V Jackson they'll still all be :censored: ing cause "Ralph is cheap" Go Figure !!

Interesting, the fines violate the CBA but the Player's Association agreed to allow them.

link

Looks like they agreed to it to avoid a lowers salary cap number this year (looked like it was going DOWN to 113). The league agreed to help them finesse the numbers to bump it just north of 120.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/nflpa-agreed-to-cowboysredskins-salary-cap-sanctions/

Take that and the fact that 28 other teams stood to GAIN cap room at the detriment of two of the more free spending (thus resented) teams in the league and it makes sense they agreed to it. De Smith's contract is also up for renewal soon and I don't see him getting re-upped if players saw the cap go down.

Florio thinks the teams should sue and cite that the punishment points to collusion (which it kind of is), but I doubt anything will get done in time for them to actually make a splash in FA first. 36M is an awful lot of money to get taken away. We may be players for VJax if we pony up 11M+. That said, I doubt we offer him THAT much. If he wanted to take 10M plus I think he'd just re-sign with SD.

Interesting, the fines violate the CBA but the Player's Association agreed to allow them.

link

Looks like they agreed to it to avoid a lowers salary cap number this year (looked like it was going DOWN to 113). The league agreed to help them finesse the numbers to bump it just north of 120.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/nflpa-agreed-to-cowboysredskins-salary-cap-sanctions/

Take that and the fact that 28 other teams stood to GAIN cap room at the detriment of two of the more free spending (thus resented) teams in the league and it makes sense they agreed to it. De Smith's contract is also up for renewal soon and I don't see him getting re-upped if players saw the cap go down.

Florio thinks the teams should sue and cite that the punishment points to collusion (which it kind of is), but I doubt anything will get done in time for them to actually make a splash in FA first. 36M is an awful lot of money to get taken away. We may be players for VJax if we pony up 11M+. That said, I doubt we offer him THAT much. If he wanted to take 10M plus I think he'd just re-sign with SD.

Heres an interesting piece on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5892791/in-the-name-of-competitive-balance-the-nfl-plays-the-bully-and-the-tyrant

Sounds like what the Skins and Boys did violated nothing in the previous or new CBA. In fact, violated no rule at all.

Where are the "Jones and Snyder run the NFL" loonies?

http://deadspin.com/5892791/in-the-name-of-competitive-balance-the-nfl-plays-the-bully-and-the-tyrant

Sounds like what the Skins and Boys did violated nothing in the previous or new CBA. In fact, violated no rule at all.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the author of that Deadspin article seems to be missing the point that the league closed those loopholes when the CBA expired in 2010 by specifically warning the teams not to do what the Cowgirls and Skins did. It’s not like the league came back after it happened and said you can’t do that, they warned them of repercussions beforehand. There was no CBA at the time so the argument that they broke no rules of the old or new CBA is worthless.

Now whether or not the league truly had the right to dictate how teams structured contracts or payed their players in that uncapped year is a different story. I guess the NFL can do whatever it wants to in that respect. Either way, I like the fact that 2 of the teams I hate the most are being nailed!! :thumbsup:

This ruling is a big "F U" to both guys.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the author of that Deadspin article seems to be missing the point that the league closed those loopholes when the CBA expired in 2010 by specifically warning the teams not to do what the Cowgirls and Skins did. It’s not like the league came back after it happened and said you can’t do that, they warned them of repercussions beforehand. There was no CBA at the time so the argument that they broke no rules of the old or new CBA is worthless.

Now whether or not the league truly had the right to dictate how teams structured contracts or payed their players in that uncapped year is a different story. I guess the NFL can do whatever it wants to in that respect. Either way, I like the fact that 2 of the teams I hate the most are being nailed!! :thumbsup:

OK, here goes......the CBA specifies that the final year of the agreement is an uncapped year. So, another way to put it is that the uncapped final year has been part of each CBA since the first. Therefore, uncapped means uncapped, no matter what Goodell says. Warning a team not to do something there is no rule against isn't very compelling, nor is it "closing the loopholes", because there were no loopholes. Just an uncapped year that everyone understood was coming. Also, there is no obvious "competitive advantage" reaped by the Cowboys and Skins. In an uncapped year, owners should be free to spend as they like, because, you know, there's no salary cap.