Cowboys and Skins hit hard

dayman

Wow. I must say I disagree. Marino had one of the quickest releases, good pocket presence, and made his offensive line look a lot better than it was.

Disagree about Marino. His play led to early end of career for several running backs and several offense lineman spent many plays trying to cover up his lack of mobility and pocket presence.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disagree about Marino. His play led to early end of career for several running backs and several offense lineman spent many plays trying to cover up his lack of mobility and pocket presence.

Early end to his career? He play 17 seasons. :wallbash:

Sarcasm? Nothing could have gone worse for the Skins after trading away their future. Now they also dont have the cap space to bring in guys around their young QB.

I hope RG3 can do it all himself, with no OL and no weapons...

That being said, they cant make the deal official until tomorrow. Wonder if they dont back out??

Is that true?

Now we know why the Redskins didn't mind giving up all those draft picks for the #2 this year.

yeah but they destroyed their future drafts considerably and also their FA periods in these next 2 years.

If I'm RG3 I'm sitting at home dreading being a Redskin

This really does the Bills no good - like most of the teams they got more salary cap room and now players will expect more.

I completely disagree. The redskins are going to be in the running for the same exact wide receivers the bills are and thats one less team to go after for us. The cowboys would have been after either Mario or one of the corners. These are 2 of probably the 4 biggest F.A players and they just got knocked off the map. I think its huge and will definitely help us in getting more F.As of our choice.

I am not sure on the NFL "rules" on this but I know most leagues and I am assuming the NFL have to approved all contracts. Something along the lines of team signs player, contract goes to league office for approval, once league approved player is officially signed. It generally isn't an issue as teams generally follow the "rules". If this is the case, it's pretty hilarious that they would have approved these contracts and then punished them later for being shady.

I am not sure on the NFL "rules" on this but I know most leagues and I am assuming the NFL have to approved all contracts. Something along the lines of team signs player, contract goes to league office for approval, once league approved player is officially signed. It generally isn't an issue as teams generally follow the "rules". If this is the case, it's pretty hilarious that they would have approved these contracts and then punished them later for being shady.

Good point but they may not send for league approval until it can actually be finalized.

The Roger Goodell era will be about making examples. Early on, it was on the players. Now it's on the teams.

If Dallas and Washington got hit this hard over contracts, New Orleans should be expecting the very worst when it comes to punishing Loomis, Williams and Payton.

The league can't not approve a contract that doesn't break the rules of the uncapped year. What they did do was warn the owners on six separate occasions that, while the contracts would not be voidable because in fact the year was uncapped, the teams would face repercussions should they attempt to take advantage of the year and use it as a year to dump salaries and front-load contract to circumvent the cap in the next year.

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/nfl-warned-teams-at-least-six-times-about-not-dumping-salary-in-uncapped-year/)

In the Cowboys case, they give a WR $17M in the FIRST year of his contract in the uncapped year so his cap number would be negligible for the duration of the contract. The Redskins dumped Haynesworth's $100M contract and several other players and front-loaded their contracts in a way that was structured so that when the cap kicked in they could hide large contracts. Obviously I love it when bad things happen to teams I hate (schadenfreude). In this case, the Redskins and Cowboys totally ignored instructions from the league and tried to exploit the uncapped year despite warnings that there would be consequences for doing so. Let's be clear, only TWO teams in the league are being penalized for this. The Saints and Raiders are not being punished, they are simply not receiving a windfall from the other 2 teams' abuse of the rules. Does it really surprise anyone that Snyder and Jones are the 2 owners who ignored the league's instructions and did whatever the hell they wanted?

Edited by ndirish1978

The league can't not approve a contract that doesn't break the rules of the uncapped year. What they did do was warn the owners on six separate occasions that, while the contracts would not be voidable because in fact the year was uncapped, the teams would face repercussions should they attempt to take advantage of the year and use it as a year to dump salaries and front-load contract to circumvent the cap in the next year.

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/12/nfl-warned-teams-at-least-six-times-about-not-dumping-salary-in-uncapped-year/)

In the Cowboys case, they give a WR $17M in the FIRST year of his contract in the uncapped year so his cap number would be negligible for the duration of the contract. The Redskins dumped Haynesworth's $100M contract and several other players and front-loaded their contracts in a way that was structured so that when the cap kicked in they could hide large contracts. Obviously I love it when bad things happen to teams I hate (schadenfreude). In this case, the Redskins and Cowboys totally ignored instructions from the league and tried to exploit the uncapped year despite warnings that there would be consequences for doing so. Let's be clear, only TWO teams in the league are being penalized for this. The Saints and Raiders are not being punished, they are simply not receiving a windfall from the other 2 teams' abuse of the rules. Does it really surprise anyone that Snyder and Jones are the 2 owners who ignored the league's instructions and did whatever the hell they wanted?

that's a great explanation. thanks.

....and in related news Dan's and Jerrah's lawyers are ordering pizza for the all nighter about to commence......4PM tomorrow is just a blink away. Better get busy boys!

Let's take Orakpo off their hands to free up cap space for the Skins! Justice served!

Is a 1st enough given their desperate state? And more importantly, can he play DE with his hand down.

I'd make it our 1st next year (when were drafting in the 20s) and throw in our 2nd or 3rd this year just to make it seem like they're getting a half way decent deal.

Speculating over stuff that will never happen is the best. Go Bills!!!