Next Years once in a generation player

Who will it be?

Last year it was Cam Newton, This year it was Luck who has recently been replaced by RG. A few years ago it was Tebow and who could forget Reggie Bush.

Who will it be next year?

I might point out that most of these "once in a...."

Are rarely duplicated. If you think anyone next year will have the skill set of RG3, I'd love to hear who.

There will definitely be good players with more common skill sets (numerous guys might fit the stafford, Matt Ryan type top 5 pedigree, which can be fantastic) but yes, it does make sense that unique skill sets show up annually which I think your trying to discredit

Edited by NoSaint

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but a "once-in-a-generation player" comes along...well, once in a generation. Not every year. By listing the best player from each of the last few years, you're listing that year's best player, not a once-in-a-generation player. Every year has a "best player."

And about RGIII...he's got great skills, but that doesn't make him once-in-a-generation. It makes him talented. The man crushes about RGIII on this board are over the top. Let's not anoint him an Epic Athlete until he proves himself exceedingly superior to anyone who plays his position. So far, he's just a talented Heisman winner.

Ok, so people said last year at this time that Cam could never be repeated, and that Luck was so far ahead of anyone else playing quaterback in this year's draft, but then Griffen comes along... I mean, I think the point of the OP was to point out that each year people find a prospect who is just so talented that their skill set will not be seen or matched for quite some time, but in reality we find someone each year to say that about.

Not to be a Negative Nancy, but a "once-in-a-generation player" comes along...well, once in a generation. Not every year. By listing the best player from each of the last few years, you're listing that year's best player, not a once-in-a-generation player. Every year has a "best player."

And about RGIII...he's got great skills, but that doesn't make him once-in-a-generation. It makes him talented. The man crushes about RGIII on this board are over the top. Let's not anoint him an Epic Athlete until he proves himself exceedingly superior to anyone who plays his position. So far, he's just a talented Heisman winner.

When you find a qb that runs a 4.35 and can throw the ball, and has a head for the game I'll buy what your saying. Doesn't mean rg3 will be a HOF player but it's certainly not something you have a shot at annually. Some talents are more common, albeit very successful still. No one would call stafford once in a generation as several guys have similar raw talents - he's the prototype if you will. Next year you will likely find a few qbs that will be good NFL stars. If you want a guy that has the raw talents of am rg3 it'll be years. Who was the last? Vick with a good head? Probably have to go back to Steve young.

Ok, so people said last year at this time that Cam could never be repeated, and that Luck was so far ahead of anyone else playing quaterback in this year's draft, but then Griffen comes along... I mean, I think the point of the OP was to point out that each year people find a prospect who is just so talented that their skill set will not be seen or matched for quite some time, but in reality we find someone each year to say that about.

A new record for TBD only took 5 posts to realize the sarcasm. Thanks cinch

Every year its someone else. No one talked about Mario Williams. It was Either Leinart, Vince Young or Reggie bush. All are with their second teams. There is absolutely no guarantee about any of these guys and clearly only 2 good players in every single draft (thats why they have 7 rounds)

I'm wondering who we would pass over next year when we trade our whole draft for X player?

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Are rarely duplicated. If you think anyone next year will have the skill set of RG3, I'd love to hear who.

There will definitely be good players with more common skill sets (numerous guys might fit the stafford, Matt Ryan type top 5 pedigree, which can be fantastic) but yes, it does make sense that unique skill sets show up annually which I think your trying to discredit

A new record for TBD only took 5 posts to realize the sarcasm. Thanks cinch

Every year its someone else. No one talked about Mario Williams. It was Either Leinart, Vince Young or Reggie bush. All are with their second teams. There is absolutely no guarantee about any of these guys and clearly only 2 good players in every single draft (thats why they have 7 rounds)

I'm wondering who we would pass over next year when we trade our whole draft for X player?

Actually, No Saint had you pegged in the very first reply.

And there was a lot of talk about Mario Williams before the draft.

Edited by Marauder24

just for balance, I think that "once in a generation" is usually applied to position.

So its not inconsistent to have a once in a generation running back, then next year a once in a generation quarterback.

But still, your point is well taken. And looking back, I cant see any players in the NFL right now who, in "Hindsight" (if i may) is really once in a generation, except maybe Payton Manning.

How is Cam Newton a once in a generation player? That's not determined in a single season.

He accounts for about 75% of his team's offense. The consensus on this board is that a franchise guy... and certainly a generation guy would launce his team into the promised land immediately. Well, conventional wisdom might be that 6-10 is not what one would expect. Perhaps 10-6 or better. And, If I'd have said that the Bills starting QB would pass for over 4,000 yards and would rush for an additional 700 yds, what would you have guessed that their record would be? 6-10?

I think this year, and true of a lot of players, not just Cam... is, there was no offseason and not your typical preseason. Players and teams with new and dynamic coaches or players, especially Cam, benefitted by opponents having very little, or nothing, to base their scouting and game planning of a player. Basically not much of a database or catalogue of how he'd be utilized, what his tendencies are, and how to exploit his weaknesses.

Yes he had a good year. And, he will be scrutinized, and gameplanned for, relentlessly in 2012. I think then we'll have a better indication of where he might be slotted as a player.

Now everyone is saying RGIII is the next once in a generation player. When it comes to QBs, the great ones have one thing in common... they get rid of the ball quickly and to the right player at the right time. They are able to do that because they are extremely intelligent and process information on the field in a nanosecond. It's the great equalizer when arm strength isn't at the top of the chart. I don't see RGIII or Cam Newton demonstrating any of that. They are phenominal athletes with great physical gifts, and for every Cam and RGIII, there is a Vince Young and JeMarcus Russell. And, Michael Vick, as physically gifted as he is and even playing on a team that the pundits had going all the way to Indy this past year, he wasn't much of a factor.

How is Cam Newton a once in a generation player? That's not determined in a single season.

He accounts for about 75% of his team's offense. The consensus on this board is that a franchise guy... and certainly a generation guy would launce his team into the promised land immediately. Well, conventional wisdom might be that 6-10 is not what one would expect. Perhaps 10-6 or better. And, If I'd have said that the Bills starting QB would pass for over 4,000 yards and would rush for an additional 700 yds, what would you have guessed that their record would be? 6-10?

I think this year, and true of a lot of players, not just Cam... is, there was no offseason and not your typical preseason. Players and teams with new and dynamic coaches or players, especially Cam, benefitted by opponents having very little, or nothing, to base their scouting and game planning of a player. Basically not much of a database or catalogue of how he'd be utilized, what his tendencies are, and how to exploit his weaknesses.

Yes he had a good year. And, he will be scrutinized, and gameplanned for, relentlessly in 2012. I think then we'll have a better indication of where he might be slotted as a player.

Now everyone is saying RGIII is the next once in a generation player. When it comes to QBs, the great ones have one thing in common... they get rid of the ball quickly and to the right player at the right time. They are able to do that because they are extremely intelligent and process information on the field in a nanosecond. It's the great equalizer when arm strength isn't at the top of the chart. I don't see RGIII or Cam Newton demonstrating any of that. They are phenominal athletes with great physical gifts, and for every Cam and RGIII, there is a Vince Young and JeMarcus Russell. And, Michael Vick, as physically gifted as he is and even playing on a team that the pundits had going all the way to Indy this past year, he wasn't much of a factor.

Again with the rg3, mike Vick and Jamarcus Russell trio. This board loves pairing black qbs. Vick weighs like 210 soaking wet while Jamarcus was playing at about 270.

Good observation - black qbs come out more often than once a generation.

Edited by NoSaint

They said that last year about Newton...then along comes RG3 out of nowhere...

They said that last year about Newton...then along comes RG3 out of nowhere...

Rg3 is 30-40 lbs lighter, and .2-.3 faster in the 40. There is overlap but both are a bit unique. They also seem to have very different personas. Not generally carbon copies, though similar systems would be ideal.

splain me. is there a white, hispanic, asian, russian, or scandinavian qb that we could pair up the athletic abilties with the three you mention?

Steve young would be a good rg3?

You compared a guy that's 270+ and runs a 4.8+ at his peak to a guy that's 220 and runs a 4.3 as similar athletes.

You compared a guy with military discipline to a convicted felon in Vick and a guy that ran himself out of the league while gambling and seemingly dealing drugs in JR.

What are the similarities you see on film between rg3, and Jamarcus?

Edited by NoSaint

Margus Hunt DE 6'8" 295 SMU

“I thought he was a freak of nature,” Jones said of that day in spring 2009. “He couldn’t even get in a three-point stance to run the 40 and he still ran a 4.67 or something like that. And I was going, ‘you got to be kidding.’ He’s 285 pounds and 6-7. He’s an interesting kid.”

He’s become a lot more than just interesting. In just his third season of playing the game, Hunt already is in the NCAA football record book.

Listed at 6-8, he’s used his long frame and uncanny hand-eye coordination to block eight [now 9] field goal tries in his 30-game college career. That ties the college football record and he’s got plenty of time to get the mark and extend it.

He’s also swatted away six extra point tries.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20110922-eastern-block-why-smu-s-margus-hunt-is-the-best-kick-blocker-in-the-country.ece

Got 4 sacks Vs Pitt in bowl game here is two of his sacks from that game (#92)

To be honest, if anyone asked me last year at this time if there was anyone next year who will have Newton's skill set (or similar), I would not have mentioned RG3. He was off the radar.

Margus Hunt DE 6'8" 295 SMU

Melik Hunt has a better chance.

Actually Cam Newton was never touted as anything approaching a "once in a generation" type player.

He was viewed as a physical freak but it seemed that most people had legitimate concerns about his character.

Others questioned his ability to throw the ball with accuracy while yet others doubted his ability to run a pro offense.

Cam Newton was actually viewed as a huge question mark by many people including guys whose job it is to publicly evaluate draft-eligible players.

Lead his team to 10-6 like Peyton manning and Troy aikman did in their first season right? Carolina picked 1st overall because they were the worst team in the nfl. This year, that same team that finished last, lost their 2 of their best players on defense for the season due to injury. Now they finish 6-10. Pretty good IMO.

Who will it be?

Last year it was Cam Newton, This year it was Luck who has recently been replaced by RG. A few years ago it was Tebow and who could forget Reggie Bush.

Who will it be next year?

So who was the once in a generation QB of the most recent generation? Favre, Brady or Manning? If a player like RG3 appears EVERY year it is still far too seldom. Unless QB's start having 30 year careers.

And while RG3 is shorter than ideal and can run, his style of running is different than Young who ran like a power back and he is far less mechanical as a passer than Young. The biggest question with RG3 is can he hold up to the punishment, but QB's don't take the beating they used to so he probably can.

If there is a supposed "once in a generation" player in every draft, most of them obviously fall short. Andrew Luck is that player this draft, even though RGIII has taken some of the shine off Luck.

I'm one of the biggest Cam Newton fans here, but even after his great rookie season his generational status, if you want to call it that, is still up in the air.

Thinking back as far as I can, the only guys I can think of that have lived up to the "once in a generation" hype have been P. Manning, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnson.