Pain at the Pump

IDBillzFan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... Hear me out... If you can stand it! :D

What was the highest price over 4 years ago?

I understand all the complaining because it is gas and we "burn" it. I said the same thing 5 years ago. Are people's personal finances really that close that they can't absorb 20-40 dollars a fill up per vehicle, per week or so? Considering all the other garbage that people throw money away on... Sure gas is NOT what I want to spend it on, but it is a necessary evil. Gas enables me to get to work.

Even if one has a bank note on a vehicle... Even from 5 years ago when gas prices went through the roof... Shouldn't they be getting off of that note by now?

If people are really approaching a financial threshold @ 4, 5 (okay... I can see 6) bucks a gallon:

1. Shouldn't they hold on to the same vehicle for 10-15 years and make it worth every penny by maintaining it properly WHILE saving the money spent on a what would be a new car loan. Any new found disposable income (once they get off of said loan) should go towards future transportation costs.

2. Move closer to their work.

3. Drive a vehicle that sips gas. There are plenty of cheaper and OLDER vehicles that get great gas milelage. Even if it is a $10,000 car that gets you over "hump." Almost all modern cars last well past the intial car loan periods.

4. Stop spending on other discretionary items. Like internet and TV! :P Just don't 86 the cell phone yet... In case your beater breaks down on you!

Basically I wasn't complaining then and not really complaining now... Just groaning... I am driving the same vehicles that I had 6 years ago and will be for a considerable amount of time into the furture!

My next installment of the truly zany: Fuel Prices and the So-Called "Free Market." :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 5 weeks later...

I personally don't recall seeing gas prices rise so much so quickly.

We have some gas stations in Los Angeles closing in on $5.30/gallon regular unleaded.

Top that.

I hope we dont top that. I thinking about public transportation already.

In the 716 its 4.10

My station has gone down 2 cents each of the last two days, down to $3.85. Has anyone else seen the price going down in recent days? This place confuses me a bit because everything else seems to be somewhere in the $3.90s, including one about a mile and a half down the same street that was at $3.99 last night.

My station has gone down 2 cents each of the last two days, down to $3.85. Has anyone else seen the price going down in recent days? This place confuses me a bit because everything else seems to be somewhere in the $3.90s, including one about a mile and a half down the same street that was at $3.99 last night.

Nope, the one I drive by every day has been $4.19 for the past 2 weeks or so.