Pain at the Pump

IDBillzFan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing... There are 3 or 4 stations in my town. CITGO sets the trend and goes lowest. Shell and Speedway follow. So this morning... Shell is $3.73, CITGO is $3.72, and Speedway is $3.89. Later in the day... Shell changes to $3.89. CITGO remained the same... But probably not for long... I didn't check later. What gives... It is the same supply in the tanks when they were selling gas for $3.40 or so! WOW... Hate to be the person who was at the the pump when they changed the computer!

What gets me is that stations use every little tidbit of BAD news to jack prices up... But they never quite fall as radpidly on good news.

That leads me to the next thing... The problem is computers and tech... Remember when it was so darn hard to reset values at pumps... Now it is literally a push of a button and bam... All the pumps are changed, sign is changed and what not. IMO, I think the tech in the business is the real problem... Put constraints on how easy it is to change prices.

I love how folks knee jerk hate on the oil companies but rarely hear anybody mention the Federal Reserve's role

Could the rising price of gas possibly be related to the falling value of the dollar?

Well yes the Fed is involved too. The topic was on gas so I only mentioned the oil companies. The Fed is even worse. No knee jerk here.

Edited by Pilsner

Hate to be the person who was at the the pump when they changed the computer!

That leads me to the next thing... The problem is computers and tech... Remember when it was so darn hard to reset values at pumps... Now it is literally a push of a button and bam... All the pumps are changed, sign is changed and what not.

Price changes 10 cents while reporter is on the scene

That leads me to the next thing... The problem is computers and tech... Remember when it was so darn hard to reset values at pumps... Now it is literally a push of a button and bam... All the pumps are changed, sign is changed and what not. IMO, I think the tech in the business is the real problem... Put constraints on how easy it is to change prices.

So you blame high gas prices on the fact that gas stations have gone high tech? Oh how I've missed your insight. :lol:

Well yes the Fed is involved too. The topic was on gas so I only mentioned the oil companies. The Fed is even worse. No knee jerk here.

Why mention one but not the other? Both are culpable

Yeah! And that guy who changed the price board lost his job.

Damn you technology :shake_fist:

:rolleyes:

Why mention one but not the other? Both are culpable

You're right. I was sleepy at the time and should have added the Fed. Was trying to stay more on topic to dealing with just gas but it's all interconnected. Posting sleepy is prolly just as bad as posting buzzed.

IF the EPA would settle on ONE Gasoline Blend Nationwide, the price per gallon would easily back off by up to $1 per gallon as a single blend was introduced.

Why do I need gas specific to Virginia??? It's totally :censored: !

While I'm at it, why is Diesel more than Gas? It used to always be less because it's not as refined. The more diesel goes up the more we pay for EVERYTHING starting with Food!

So you blame high gas prices on the fact that gas stations have gone high tech? Oh how I've missed your insight. :lol:

It isn't the be all and end all... But the tech does make it easier for human emotions to prevail. Just saying. A simple push of a button can change dynamics... Again, just saying.

No man, not even close. DiN is so out there he comes across as fake. EII is for real and is not always "out there".

:D :D

You know what I meant... I know, you are just working for effect... Carry on.

On another note... You know they just did a study between leather football helmets and the modern plastic ones... The results were shocking... In simple impacts, the modern helmets offer no more protection than leather does... ACTUALLY slighly less! Does that mean we go back to wearing leather? Heck no!

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/media_relations/library/2011/2011-11-04-vintage-leatherhead-football-helmets-often-as-protective-as-modern-helmets-in-common-game-like-hits.aspx

Now to answer your next question... I do not wear any helmet. That explains it, right!

IF the EPA would settle on ONE Gasoline Blend Nationwide, the price per gallon would easily back off by up to $1 per gallon as a single blend was introduced.

Why do I need gas specific to Virginia??? It's totally :censored: !

While I'm at it, why is Diesel more than Gas? It used to always be less because it's not as refined. The more diesel goes up the more we pay for EVERYTHING starting with Food!

From what I understand there is only really 2 types... Premium and regular... Right? I use plus+ in one car and one time the pump was not working... Went in and the guy checked... Somebody in the stockroom was moving boxes and hit the switch to the plus+ pumps... Shutting off the blending tank... He said that when you want plus (89)... The pump blends premium (93) with the regular unleaded (87). I never knew that...

You're right. I was sleepy at the time and should have added the Fed. Was trying to stay more on topic to dealing with just gas but it's all interconnected. Posting sleepy is prolly just as bad as posting buzzed.

Or with no leather helmet on! :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

There's one station in downtown DC where gas is going for $5.10. Two blocks down from another station at about $4.30. :wacko:

Damn technology! Now they are gouging by the push of a button! :D

On a serious note... Anybody ever have the price change right in front of you before you began to pump... That is a real kick in the nuts!