Sources: Steelers may release Ward.

#34fan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? Hahaha Let's get a 36 year old receiver in here quick! His 381 yds and 2 td's will be just enough to get us over the hill. Buffalo Barbarian is right. If he was on our team right now... I would want him cut for the younger guys that can actually get better.

This whole "bringing in a guy to mentor other players" mentality has really gotta go. Besides if said mentor/teacher/player can't even be productive on the field wtf is the point? Hines Ward's career is practically done. There is no point for a team that is building to bring ANY vet in over 32 yrs old. Unless they are some stud to put us over the top.

It's a point that in the Bills situation (12 years with no playoffs, coaching staff with no recent NFL playoff experience), we may be in a futile cycle - there are few players on the team who really know the extra level of effort and preparation it takes to be a champion. I don't think that's something players can really get by studying, or even by listening to a coach. They need to absorb it from the players sitting next to them.

Barnett and Merriman were a good start. Another player or two with that winning cultural background wouldn't hurt - but they do have to be able to contribute.

Would Ward be able to contribute? James Lofton was 33 when Buffalo picked him up in 89 and he was "reborn". So Ward is older. Ward's production has been higher until relatively recently.

I wouldn't scoff on it, I wouldn't leap on it either. Hopefully it's something the FO could evaluate realistically.

Wasnt Hines ward voted the dirtiest player in the league a few years back. I'm not sure if u can here me from your soap box, but maybe we can get bill romanowski to teach guys some stuff as well

Only b/c defensive players weren't used to a WR knocking them off their feet away from the play. What they call dirty I call hard nosed football. Dude could block, plain and simple. I think he's too old now but a lot of WRs could learn a ton from this guy on how to play football beyond making catches. He'd be a great WR coach some day.

Is that how you teach your kids? Have them watch films? -Books? You don't have to be in front of their face for them to learn from you, right? They probably wouldn't pick up a thing from you actually talking to them, or heaven forbid, getting the chance to observe you in action, no way. :huh:

And I agree, Calvin Johnson is very good. -Can't argue with that. As is Fitzgerald, Jackson, Boldin and Moss. But how many rings do those guys have between the five of them? -NOT ONE. T.O.? Same thing. -NO JEWLERY! We root for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in twelve years. We have young recievers engaging in some of the most selfish, juvenile, and unprofessional behavior in the league, and you're telling me, the presence of a fourteen year veteran, and two-time superbowl champ would be unwelcome?

Wow.

Look, I know these guys aren't exactly kids, but in a way they are. -They're still learning... Processing... figuring things out. Although Heinz Ward is FAR from being perfect, he has a value that goes beyond his production on the field. He has the unique perspective, and preparation of a champion. If it were possible, and up to me, I'd want my young players to be exposed to that.

These are grown men not kids. For that matter how do you know if Hines is a willing or able teacher? This attitude is why people ignore stevie's production and point to a tshirt as the reason he shouldn't be resigned. To compare them to how you teach your kids is ridiculous and insulting to them.

And for the love of god its HINES he's a person not a ketchup bottle!

People please, the OP was wondering about Heinz Ward, the ketchup king of Pittsburgh, not Hines Ward, the Pittsburgh Steeler player. Let's keep on topic now.

I think Heinz Ward would be a great pickup for this team.

It's Heinz Ward, people.

Although Heinz Ward is FAR from being perfect, he has a value that goes beyond his production

Lets assume Hines Ward is washed up as a WR. He still would bring in better production than a guy like Lee Evans, would bring leadership and would improve our run game out of passing formations with his excellent blocking (which Gailey loves to do). It wouldn't be the worst move ever.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

These are grown men not kids. For that matter how do you know if Hines is a willing or able teacher? This attitude is why people ignore stevie's production and point to a tshirt as the reason he shouldn't be resigned. To compare them to how you teach your kids is ridiculous and insulting to them.

And for the love of god its HINES he's a person not a ketchup bottle!

Sorry Mr. Rooney.

Hard sometimes to separate the player from the name of his home field.

Serves me right for late-night posting.

Btw, Stevie Johnson has shown himself to be VERY immature, and selfish on several ocaisions. I also agree that at times, he has been ridiculous, and insulting to his coach, teammates and fans as well.

I never said he sucked.

I think our entire corp of recievers could pick up a lot from HINES Ward. I would only hire him on the condition that he share his experience, and mentor these young men.

Hey, It may not work out. Still, as a former Steeler guy, I would think Chan would be inclined to give it a try.

Really?

It's Heinz Ward, people. -Not some bum who fell off the back of a cabbage truck. This is a professional. A veteran. -A man with jewlery. I would think that a wealth of information would come with a guy like that.

We got kids giving their girlfriends game-balls, kids writing messages on their T-shirts... re-enacting shootings... There's no standard... No example for these kids to follow.

If they cut him, and he's willing to come on board for cheap, I'd take him in a second.

How are these young guys ever going to be great, if they don't study greatness?

Well said. If the price is right, I'd def take him. Line him up with Nelson and SJ. He still wants to play and his tough. I think part of his "decline" is due more to the fact that Wallace and Brown are just very very good.

Lets assume Hines Ward is washed up as a WR. He still would bring in better production than a guy like Lee Evans, would bring leadership and would improve our run game out of passing formations with his excellent blocking (which Gailey loves to do). It wouldn't be the worst move ever.

Another good point. Plus, he's worked with Gailey before. If he's not that expensive, I'd def take him.

Is that how you teach your kids? Have them watch films? -Books? You don't have to be in front of their face for them to learn from you, right? They probably wouldn't pick up a thing from you actually talking to them, or heaven forbid, getting the chance to observe you in action, no way. :huh:

And I agree, Calvin Johnson is very good. -Can't argue with that. As is Fitzgerald, Jackson, Boldin and Moss. But how many rings do those guys have between the five of them? -NOT ONE. T.O.? Same thing. -NO JEWLERY! We root for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in twelve years. We have young recievers engaging in some of the most selfish, juvenile, and unprofessional behavior in the league, and you're telling me, the presence of a fourteen year veteran, and two-time superbowl champ would be unwelcome?

Wow.

Look, I know these guys aren't exactly kids, but in a way they are. -They're still learning... Processing... figuring things out. Although Heinz Ward is FAR from being perfect, he has a value that goes beyond his production on the field. He has the unique perspective, and preparation of a champion. If it were possible, and up to me, I'd want my young players to be exposed to that.

lol you show your ignorance with each rebuttal. Let it go. Let it go. It's ok you came up with a bad idea in Hines Ward. It's ok.

Hey, how about trading our #1 to the Jets for Santonio Holmes. He's been a SB MVP!! Just think of the impact he could have on Stevie!!!

You mean Stevie who is testing free agency and that is going to the highest bidder? I guess whatever team he lands on will need to get Holmes then. Surely not our Bills who are afraid to resign him and will franchise Jackson because we're afraid of resigning him as well.

You mean Stevie who is testing free agency and that is going to the highest bidder? I guess whatever team he lands on will need to get Holmes then. Surely not our Bills who are afraid to resign him and will franchise Jackson because we're afraid of resigning him as well.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FRED HAS A YEAR LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT AND IS NOT GETTING FRANCHISED!!!

lol you show your ignorance with each rebuttal. Let it go. Let it go. It's ok you came up with a bad idea in Hines Ward. It's ok.

Wow. The fact that some people like this idea is really killing you.

If it's that distasteful, stay the hell off the thread. Who's forcing you to post, buddy?

Will we have to endure these type of threads after every single player is cut now?

Yes. You've been around here in the offseason before!

We should make a template for people to use to avoid the typing.

"XXXX was released and I recognize his name. Wouldn't he look great in a Bills uniform?"