Ladies and Gentlemen, your Super Bowl Halftime Show

Just Jack

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We got to talking about best/worst acts ever during the halftime show last night, so I looked up the historical list of Super Bowl halftime shows on Wikipedia.

What's funny is it seems XXV was the first time they went for some big-time pop act, New Kids on the Block. Up until then it was a lot of wholesome no-name acts like marching bands, Up With People, stuff like that.

So that raises the question: Can we blame New Kids on the Block for filling the stadium with so much suck, it drew Norwood's kick wide right?

Next year, they should get an arena rocker out there. AC/DC for the win.

If not them, get a band like Motley Crue or Kiss. Bands that pride themselves on their "showiness". They will translate well at the Super Bowl level.

One show that's not being mentioned as really good. Prince. I thought he killed it out there.

Next year, they should get an arena rocker out there. AC/DC for the win.

If not them, get a band like Motley Crue or Kiss. Bands that pride themselves on their "showiness". They will translate well at the Super Bowl level.

One show that's not being mentioned as really good. Prince. I thought he killed it out there.

Kiss is tailor made for a Superbowl halftime show. Whatever they do, you can't have a lip synced halftime show. That's just lazy and dull.

Thats the way the industry works today. You need to fit the "image" first, the "talent" can be fixed later.

Lady Gaga apparently has a backround/training in classical piano I believe, yet she couldn't hit it big until she started appearing 3/4 naked in weird and crazy outfits.

Katy Perry was a gospal/christian music singer who couldn't get a deal to become famous until she "slutted up" and sang about "kissing a girl and liking it"

Theres plenty more examples of this and its not just woman in todays music. You could go back to KISS who were a flop when they moved away from their "stage show" and took the makeup off to perform. I don't think anyone would say that they would go see kiss perform their music without the makeup and stage show.

The industry follows the people and what they want to see. It's not the fault of the industry that the people want to see that kinda stuff. Gaga plays a pretty mean piano but nobody listened, so she did what the people want and now she's famous and rich. Same for Katy Perry. Heart started out doing classical music, but guess what? That didn't sell so they turned to rock. Aretha Franklin, same thing with her(gospil didn't sell). Your last paragraph says it all, it's not the industy. It's the people(fans). By the way, is Katy really "slutting up" if she is only kissing one girl? she didn't say I kissed one hundred girls.

This is what you get when they try to cater to an older and a younger crowd at the same time. MIA isn't exactly a no-name artist, she's had a couple of hit songs that have gotten quite a bit of airtime. If you're going to have U2 perform let's book Nickelback and Creed as well, all overrated garbage that belongs in the same category. No matter who performs they'll never please everyone.

I wish they'd let the public vote on the halftime show.

NFL gives 10 or so acts to choose from in a bracket format. Public votes. Boom. A show the majority wants to watch.

I'm with you there. Has beens like Madona and her robot clone are bad enough, but do we really want to see the bird and the wardrobe malfunction?

She looked old and mechanical. Perhaps she needs more lube?

This is what you get when they try to cater to an older and a younger crowd at the same time. MIA isn't exactly a no-name artist, she's had a couple of hit songs that have gotten quite a bit of airtime. If you're going to have U2 perform let's book Nickelback and Creed as well, all overrated garbage that belongs in the same category. No matter who performs they'll never please everyone.

I don't think you can cater to everyone....that's why the vote by the public works.

I have no idea who they were catering to with Madonna and a menagerie of modern acts that really didn't fit well together. To really make it awkward, they should have brought Toby Keith down from the rafters and Tone Loc from a seat in the crowd, to the background music of whoever's left of KC and the Sunshine Band.

If you are going to start a grease fire, be glorious. Don't do it halfway as you did the last two years, NFL.

I didnt think the halftime show was that bad. I don't understand why everyone thinks all these rock bands should be playing it anyway, its clearly made so girls are entertained. Id rather watch them show first half highlights and talk about the game, but theres probably like 35 million women watching for commercials and madonna.

By far the worse half time show ever.

I was rather impressed with the "show", or the spectacle of it.

You may be right, Madona wasn't all that bad...compared to last year.

I'm predicting Lady Gaga in 2013.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was half watching while discussing the game with a football fan. What I noticed was a lot of squatting and crotch-oriented maneuvers. I don't care about it, but I don't really understand why they would choose Madonna this year over anybody else.

How about The Eagles? they've certainly got enough hits, and Joe Walsh can still bring it.

I didn't notice it either because everyone at my place was talking, the volume was turned down and I don't think anyone was watching because, dude, it was Madonna.

Still, my 4-year-old niece was there and it would be nice if she could watch teevee without being exposed to this trash. I know it'll happen eventually, but we shouldn't have to put earmuffs and blindfolds on to avoid it.

I guess some people just need to swear and flash obscene gestures to get noticed....

LOL.. if that's the worst she see's you should be blessed. I doubt anyone even noticed it live.

Over Madonna and a bunch of "guest appearances"?

hell yes

Maybe you are gay? Not a Madonna fan, but that is the stupidest thing I've heard today.