Brady just slammed the Buffalo area

Yard Monkey

I love how honesty is seen as a slam.

Buffalo isn't the most spectacular city, guys. C'mon, lets be realistic.

Seriously, downtown Buffalo in many ways is depressing to any objective observer. This isn't the same thing as saying there is nothing good in Buffalo or that the people are no good. Let's be honest and admit that there is a lot of room for improvement.

Every little comment that gets people worked up about the qualities lacking in Buffalo should be taken as an incentive to improve the weak points. Too much energy is spent on outrage and hurt feelings that should be used to make the place better.

Every resident of Buffalo should take pride in the city and do whatever they can to make it more attractive. Buffalo didn't get rundown from the visitors, it deteriorated from within and therefore it must be fixed from within.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very weird, but the closer this game gets the more I'm actually thinking of rooting for the Pats. A few years ago, when they were 18-0 and rolling it up on teams there was no way I wanted them to win that Superbowl. But the Pats seem to be getting no respect at all this time around. Now you have some jerk supposed friend (probably not a family member) leaking a private email from Brady's wife. The Giants have been big talkers. Osi blows off a media session. Anyone thinking of rooting for the Pats this time? BTW, I think it's classy to be pulling for your team in your division (as long as they deserve it unlike that smug 18-0 bunch).

It's actually the opposite for me. I was the only one at my party rooting for the Patriots that year they were 18-0. I wanted somebody to finally beat the hated '72 Dolphins..........Now that that's not in play, Go Giants!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Got the second best steakhouse in America, that's good enough for me.

Yep, I have clients that come in from NYC all the time & I usually take them over to EB Greens after work & they all say you can't find a steak in the city that is this good. Mock me for that statement if you must but I have enough people from NYC tell me this that I think it is pretty much a fact.

This is a fantastic point.

This is a deeply flawed comparison. Baseball involves guaranteed money for player contracts without a salary cap; there is tremendous incentive to go to a team that offers the most money, and Detroit has a strong team that will push for a championship this year. Buffalo has the worst recent track record of teams in the league, and is easily the worst city in the NFL, to be honest. While the city of Detroit is a desolate place, there are some excellent suburbs there that pro athletes are happy to live in (Grosse Pointe and Bloomfield Hills for example) while Buffalo doesn't.

I would put Amherst/Clarence/Williamsville/Orchard Park against any suburbs Detroit has to offer.

It's very weird, but the closer this game gets the more I'm actually thinking of rooting for the Pats. A few years ago, when they were 18-0 and rolling it up on teams there was no way I wanted them to win that Superbowl. But the Pats seem to be getting no respect at all this time around. Now you have some jerk supposed friend (probably not a family member) leaking a private email from Brady's wife. The Giants have been big talkers. Osi blows off a media session. Anyone thinking of rooting for the Pats this time? BTW, I think it's classy to be pulling for your team in your division (as long as they deserve it unlike that smug 18-0 bunch).

I kind of root against everything that NYC stands for. I am a Mets since I was 5 years old that is kind of the exception. I deal with a ton of NYC people thru work & their elitist, their city is better then any city in the world attitude gets annoying. I justify my following of the Mets because they play out in Queens. I mean the Giants do not even play in NYC. Technically they are NJ's team. So yes, I will be rooting for the Patriots. Over the years I kind of have grown a sense of appreciation for Brady. The guy is just good. I don't know why so many of you guys have a tough time admitting that.

Yep, I have clients that come in from NYC all the time & I usually take them over to EB Greens after work & they all say you can't find a steak in the city that is this good. Mock me for that statement if you must but I have enough people from NYC tell me this that I think it is pretty much a fact.

Isn't the Buffalo Chop House supposed to be even better?

I would put Amherst/Clarence/Williamsville/Orchard Park against any suburbs Detroit has to offer.

Once you've set the bar at "Detroit" its time to throw in the towel.

I kind of root against everything that NYC stands for. I am a Mets since I was 5 years old that is kind of the exception. I deal with a ton of NYC people thru work & their elitist, their city is better then any city in the world attitude gets annoying. I justify my following of the Mets because they play out in Queens. I mean the Giants do not even play in NYC. Technically they are NJ's team. So yes, I will be rooting for the Patriots. Over the years I kind of have grown a sense of appreciation for Brady. The guy is just good. I don't know why so many of you guys have a tough time admitting that.

I think most people here know that he is good. It just makes then nauseous to admit it publicly.

I would not want to live in Buffalo at all for many reasons (most of which are spelled out in this thread), but if I had to live in either Buffalo or NYC, I'm taking Buffalo hands down.

I was just watching NFL network live coverage of the Wednesday press conference. Brady was talking about how his parents were very supportive and how they traveled to his games in college and then when he became a starter in the pros. He then said "my (dad) even traveled to Buffalo. I don't know if you guys have ever been to Buffalo, but the hotels in Buffalo are not the nicest places in the world."

Anyone else hear this?

Dude not for nothing, but have you see the hotels in Buffalo? I’m just down the road east on I-90, Rochester, and do lots of business in Buffalo. I love the city, but the hotels would not rank 2 stars elsewhere. This is a problem both the Bills and the Sabers have had for some time now. Can’t get your panties in a bush over what Brady said because he’s right.

Isn't the Buffalo Chop House supposed to be even better?

I think the Chop House is overrated. I think EB Greens is way better.

Once you've set the bar at "Detroit" its time to throw in the towel.

That maybe so, I was just responding to a certain post stating the suburbs in Detroit are better then the suburbs in Buffalo.

The 20th Century - and I don't know if that is a correct stat, but it sure would be in the ballpark. You've seen the mansions on Delaware and around Delaware Park, right?

Out by the lake, too?

I think your "turn of the century" comment just shows how far behind Buffalo's Glory Days are. There has been another turn of the century since then.

I love Buffalo, I defend Buffalo, but you must realize that the city is in very rough shape and the number of nice areas within the city are eroding, not growing.

That doesn't get Brady off by taking a cheap shot.

Blame the politicians for ruining Buffalo with the high taxes not Tom Brady.

Not to mention the citizens that live in the run down neighborhoods. They have some accountability for the condition of their homes and neighborhoods.

People should not expect the government to fix things for them.

I think your "turn of the century" comment just shows how far behind Buffalo's Glory Days are. There has been another turn of the century since then.

I love Buffalo, I defend Buffalo, but you must realize that the city is in very rough shape and the number of nice areas within the city are eroding, not growing.

If you follow the thread, I was just answering the questions asked. BB even asked which turn of the century.

Not to mention the citizens that live in the run down neighborhoods. They have some accountability for the condition of their homes and neighborhoods.

People should not expect the government to fix things for them.

:lol:

the same government that encouraged people (and capital) to move away from the run-down neighborhoods? government sponsored suburban sprawl played an enormous role in the degradation of the inner city. maybe as much as the loss of manufacturing and industrial jobs.

you're right, people shouldnt expect the government to fix things for them, but it's pretty sad that the government is the one that broke it in the first place.

31 Club

Shango

Left Bank

Tempo

Bachus

Gabriel's Gate

Encore

Dude you're really missing out

I live in DC andI travel for a living, going from steak house to steak house.

I had one of the best Delmonico steaks at 31 club in my life.

Better than all the national steak house chains. Morton's Shula's Ruth Chris'

Seriously.

That doesn't even get into all the local well known favorites Jim's, LaNova, Bob& John's, Fat Bob's etc etc

I was there on Business and brought some colleagues and customers to EB Greens and the DC people still talk about to this day (Although I think it is overrated)

You definitely need to take back the restaurants piece.

What?! EB greens has the best porterhouse ever, name me a better steakhouse because I would like to try that.

:lol:

the same government that encouraged people (and capital) to move away from the run-down neighborhoods? government sponsored suburban sprawl played an enormous role in the degradation of the inner city. maybe as much as the loss of manufacturing and industrial jobs.

you're right, people shouldnt expect the government to fix things for them, but it's pretty sad that the government is the one that broke it in the first place.

And now when people and capital move in to run-down neighborhoods, they fight the "gentrification" of the neighborhood.

Buffalo was a pretty big deal around 1900. The first US city with electric street lights. But McKinley getting killed at the Pan Am Expo was kind of the "jump the shark" moment for the area. It's been a combo of bad politics, bad leadership, and bad luck that brings us where we are now.

By the way no Buffalo hotels are on this list.

PTR

I think most of the downturn can be traced to the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1950s. Before then Buffalo was one of the most important ports on the great lakes offloading grain from the midwest putting it on trains and shipping it to the east coast. With the opening of the Seaway grain ships could bypass Buffalo directly to the east coast. It's more than 50 years later and the area has still to recover from it.

Oh wait I almost forgot...Brady sux.