The Official Mitt Romney thread

Obama is winning in almost every poll and he hasn't started campaigning. Romney can't fire up anyone to care.

All,anyone cares about is the economy and it's doing better. Not because of Obama, but no one will vote for change if signs point up. Should be an easy win. Maybe even Reagan Mondale blowout Landslide.

Yes Magox, almost every poll has Obama ahead, many within each of their margins of error. Guess we'll see. We all know you have a bone for Mitt.

landslide in the popular or electoral vote?

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama is winning in almost every poll and he hasn't started campaigning. Romney can't fire up anyone to care.

All,anyone cares about is the economy and it's doing better. Not because of Obama, but no one will vote for change if signs point up. Should be an easy win. Maybe even Reagan Mondale blowout Landslide.

Yes Magox, almost every poll has Obama ahead, many within each of their margins of error. Guess we'll see. We all know you have a bone for Mitt.

The fact is this all there is, Obama or Romney. The question from my perspective is; Who can help improve the economy more, Obama or Romney?

From your perspective, who do you think can get the job done more effectively?

My first choice btw was Mitch Daniels, and yeah I like competence, what can I say? That's just me.

And Obama is going to be campaigning on what, exactly, that will lead to a landslide?

He's improved his golf game.

Some possible slogans for Barack in 2012;

"Its Tee Time in America"

"don't vote me out, I'm starting to get the hang of this"

"2012.........let me finish the Back 9 "

And Obama is going to be campaigning on what, exactly, that will lead to a landslide?

His populist message.

And who's running against him? A gazillionairre. Do you think that won't work?

Here's a bullet point message campaign that will win the American people. With ease.

Economy

1. I got handed a piece of sh#t economy from Bush.

2. IT got a little worse at first, even worse than we'd hoped.

3. We are finally starting to turn this ship around...let me finish that.

4. Housing will pick up soon as we get rid of a backlog of supply...that's when the economy will really start kicking.

5. Mitt hates poor people.

6. Mitt is rich.

Wars

1. We got handed two stupid and useless wars that were costing us billions and also lost lives.

2. We are mostly out of one and getting out of the other.

3. You're welcome.

Healthcare

1. You want to beat me up on healthcare? Good luck with that Mitt Mass. Healthcare Romney.

Debt

1. I asked a comission to come up with a plan.

2. They put forth a plan.

3. There were other plans too.

4. The Republicans shot them down.

5. No one seems to care about the debt right now.

Social Issues

1. We're not much different except on abortion and that's not the hot button it once was.

(unspoken but will hurt) 2. Mitt wears magic underwear and believes a guy talked to god in a magic hat, as opposed to my zombie worship.

Edited by John Adams

Hasn't started campaigning?

Dude, you must've been hanging out in John Adams' coffin.

Obama NEVER STOPPED campaigning.

The point that will be made in the general against Obama is that if/when we slide back into recession, bailouts and stimulus are the only tricks in his bag. He is intractable at any other means of reviving an economy and jobs; all he's done is create disincentives for businesses to spend and hire, which is why we're still going to be at over unemployment is still going to be such a problem. It's not unlike the housing mess where Biden himself said that the quickest fix is the Republican strategy; the Democrat strategy is to string the situation out until they accomplish their political goals and then maybe they'll see whether they can fix peoples' problems... most of which is that government is standing in the way of actual progress.

I, for one, am not inspired that Obama is prepared or has learned a jot about how to respond to whatever happens next. All I've seen from this administration is hoping in one hand and stevestojanning in the other.

I was going to ignore this silliness, but your , winning "with ease" made me laugh so hard that I couldn't resist

Also your statement from an earlier post was even funnier........"Obama hasn't even started campaigning yet"...........You must be joking with that one.

His populist message.

And who's running against him? A gazillionairre. Do you think that won't work?

Here's a bullet point message campaign (bullet ? ...Hate speech...lol) that will win the American people. With ease.

Economy

1. I got handed a piece of sh#t economy from Bush............ True

2. IT got a little worse at first, even worse than we'd hoped.................. "a little worse"...lol .....biased revisionism at its finest

3. We are finally starting to turn this ship around....let me finish that. Every economic recession should have had its turnaround by now, I made it worse

4. Housing will pick up soon as we get rid of a backlog of supply......that's when the economy will really start kicking. It WILL start kicking after the election

5. Mitt hates poor people.

6. Mitt is rich........ Outside the liberal camps, you will find that the majority of Americans don't automatically "hate" rich people

Wars

1. We got handed two stupid and useless wars that were costing us billions and also lost lives........... They were not "stupid and useless"

2. We are mostly out of one and getting out of the other............. Following the military's plan

3. You're welcome........ Most people are WELL AWARE that success in Iraq was due to the "surge", you know...the one Barack opposed

Healthcare

1. You want to beat me up on healthcare? Good luck with that Mitt Mass. Healthcare Romney....... National vs State

Debt

1. I asked a comission to come up with a plan.

2. They put forth a plan.

3. There were other plans too.

4. The Republicans shot them down. LOL..............Read a little, Obama IGNORED his commision's recomendations

5. No one seems to care about the debt right now................. What universe are you living in?

Social Issues

1. We're not much different except on abortion and that's not the hot button it once was................. AGAIN, what universe are you in? have you been asleep the last week?

(unspoken but will hurt) 2. Mitt wears magic underwear and believes a guy talked to god in a magic hat, as opposed to my zombie worship........... Americans are more open-minded then what you (unspokenly) believe

Edited by B-Man

Thanks for engaging in the debate but that's not my point. My point is that those points above are simple and convincing to most Americans. Just to point it out, on the issue of the debt, here's the easy Obama response, "The debt commission recommended raising taxes and cutting spending...which party drew refused to do one of those things?"

And when I say he hasn't started campaigning, I'll believe that you know what I mean but in case you don't, here's what I mean: He hasn't started touring the country speechifying on the above points. And he hasn't even begun to attack Romney. Despite that, he still is leading in almost all the polls.

Jesus Christ people, Mitt had trouble vanquishing Newt Gingrich and he's an unmitigated disaster!

Edited by John Adams

Thanks for engaging in the debate but that's not my point. My point is that those points above are simple and convincing to most Americans. Just to point it out, on the issue of the debt, here's the easy Obama response, "The debt commission recommended raising taxes and cutting spending...which party drew refused to do one of those things?"

And when I say he hasn't started campaigning, I'll believe that you know what I mean but in case you don't, here's what I mean: He hasn't started touring the country speechifying on the above points. And he hasn't even begun to attack Romney. Despite that, he still is leading in almost all the polls.

Jesus Christ people, Mitt had trouble vanquishing Newt Gingrich and he's an unmitigated disaster!

You and I see him as a disaster, put ideological purists see things from a different lens. You should know that. Having said that, Romney is not your ideal conservative, by almost any means, from a personal perspective, I don't give a **** about this, I want someone who is going to be more fiscally responsible than Obama, I want someone who is going to improve the economy more so than Obama, and that's pretty much what it boils down to.

Independents by in large aren't ideologically driven, so the election is going to be about a few different things

1) which candidate wins the message war

Obama's message:

a) I care about the middle class more and Romney is out of touch

b) I will fight against income inequality, Romney wants to protect the rich

Mitt's message:

a) I can fix this economy,Obama doesn't understand economics and the proof is in the pudding.

b) Obama believes in overreaching government with centralized power, crony capitalism and is your typical tax and spend liberal.

c) Obama hasn't lived up to his promises.

Wait till the super pacs really begin hammering Obama on Solyndra, Keystone, the healthcare bill, Catholic contraceptive scandal (which btw is now beginning to pick up lots of steam) and failed promises, you will see the presidents negative ratings rise. Karl Rove is most likely going to raise approximately $200 Million for this election cycle and let's face it, the guy is a political genius and the roll he has now as fundraiser and strategist for the largest super pac in the universe fits him perfectly, look at his results. Got Bush elected twice and look at the 2010 results. The guy is gonna effectively hammer away at the president, and he will do it in the districts that matter that can make the difference, that you can count on.

2) The economy, well this could go either way, if the economy improves then so do the presidents chances of getting elected, if the economy begins to sputter again, then Romney's Mr. "I can fix it" message gets a whole lot stronger.

3) Who Romney's VP selection is. He needs someone that can fire up the base, this is going to be a critical selection. He has to strike the right balance, he has to get someone who gins up the ideologues, while not alienating independents. There are two people that I can think of right now, that could deliver, and that is Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio.

Many variables that will change between now and the elections. But those are the three main issues I see affecting this upcoming elections.

I don't think President Obama will win in a landslide, but I think he will win. I see Romney as a guy who will get very frustrated and flustered in the debates, and could come off as bad as Al Gore did. Despite the fact that it shouldn't matter, I think it will win the vote of the lazy independents, who don't check the background of the candidates.

2) The economy, well this could go either way, if the economy improves then so do the presidents chances of getting elected, if the economy begins to sputter again, then Romney's Mr. "I can fix it" message gets a whole lot stronger.

Good analysis.....I picked #2 as the most important and this article shows the main problem the economy (and by extension, Mr. Obama) will face.

USA Today

Gas prices to spike 60 cents or more by May

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY

February 6, 2012

Get ready for another round of pain at the pump: $4 (or higher) gasoline.

After rising 19 cents a gallon in the past four weeks, regular unleaded gasoline now averages $3.48 a gallon, vs. $3.12 a year ago and $2.67 in February 2010.

Prices could spike another 60 cents or more by May. "I think it's going to be a chaotic spring, with huge price increases in some places," says Tom Kloza of the Oil Price Information Service. Kloza expects average prices to peak at $4.05, although he and other industry trackers say prices could be sharply higher in some markets.

Rising prices are an annual spring ritual, largely because of seasonal demand.

Refiners also switch from winter formulations to more expensive seasonal formulations to meet stringent environmental standards, which can tack on 15 cents a gallon, says Brian Milne of energy tracker Televent DTN.

This year's earlier-than-usual run-up is more about anticipation than current supply and demand. Last week, the Energy Department reported anemic U.S. consumption — the lowest levels since September 2001. Domestic crude oil prices, now about $98 a barrel, are near six-week lows.

Renewed tensions in the Middle East are bolstering crude prices, while speculators are boosting futures contracts, betting on global supply disruptions and tighter refining capacity. Kloza notes that several U.S. and overseas refiners have experienced temporary or permanent closures.

So far, $4 a gallon has proven to be the upper limit consumers will pay. Last April, national prices peaked at about $3.98 a gallon. In 2008, a sharp run-up ended when prices hit an all-time average of $4.11 a gallon that summer.

Can you se the GOP ad with this quote in it ?

Obama's Energy Secretary Chu went on to say, “Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe”.

Edited by B-Man

I don't think President Obama will win in a landslide, but I think he will win. I see Romney as a guy who will get very frustrated and flustered in the debates, and could come off as bad as Al Gore did. Despite the fact that it shouldn't matter, I think it will win the vote of the lazy independents, who don't check the background of the candidates.

I see Mitt as only getting flustered because he was loathe to attack a fellow Republican. Once he decided to do it, he thrashed Newt. Wait until he gets a crack at a non-Repup, especially one with so much fodder like Barry.

Mitt will be a better General election campaigner than a primary one. In the primaries he has to pander to his base, whereas in the general election, he will get to talk more about topics that are in his comfort zone which is the economy and the deficit. He is closer to be a true independent than an ideological conservative.

Edited by Magox

Some possible slogans for Barack in 2012;

"Its Tee Time in America"

"don't vote me out, I'm starting to get the hang of this"

"2012.........let me finish the Back 9 "

All better than the "I deserve to be reelected" reason he gave to NBC. :rolleyes:

Mitt will be a better General election campaigner than a primary one. In the primaries he has to pander to his base, whereas in the general election, he will get to talk more about topics that are in his comfort zone which is the economy and the deficit. He is closer to be a true independent than an ideological conservative.

I dunno man. He's not a likeable everyman sort of guy, and that matters. Not that Obama is, but Obama has been doing his schtick with late night shows, signing Al Green, drinking a beer, playing hoops, etc. for a few years now. It's phony as balls but most people buy into it. Romney is a handsome stiff.

Listen: I agree that shouldn't matter but it mattered that George Bush has a sort of honky-tonk appeal, and Clinton clearly had appeal in spades. Mitt is at a bit of a remove and that will play into the poulist message Obama is pitching.

Again, I think Obama is positioned to spank Mitt, unless the economy tanks in the next 6 months.

I dunno man. He's not a likeable everyman sort of guy, and that matters. Not that Obama is, but Obama has been doing his schtick with late night shows, signing Al Green, drinking a beer, playing hoops, etc. for a few years now. It's phony as balls but most people buy into it. Romney is a handsome stiff.

Listen: I agree that shouldn't matter but it mattered that George Bush has a sort of honky-tonk appeal, and Clinton clearly had appeal in spades. Mitt is at a bit of a remove and that will play into the poulist message Obama is pitching.

Again, I think Obama is positioned to spank Mitt, unless the economy tanks in the next 6 months.

Bush also had name recognition - people had a very easy time imagining "President Bush", because of daddy. Not so much for Gore.

Bottom line, though: platitudes play. Better than facts, to most people. Romney can run on his financial background and experience with Bain and time as Governor of MA and how it makes him a great candidate to get spending under control...the American Idol crowd will tune that out with one well-crafted "He represents the 1%" line from Obama.

I'm not saying that Romney is gonna be more likeable than Obama, because he's not. I'm arguing that he will be a better campaigner in the general elections than he is in the primaries. Independents for the most part are turned off at people pandering to their irrespective bases, what I'm saying is that Mitt's core is alot closer to the middle than to the far right, which is closer to his comfort zone.

Like I said, so many variables to consider. This isn't 2004, the number one issue back then was the war and fight against Al Qaeda, and Karl Rove outflanked the D's. They were able to control the narrative and thats why they won.

The issue now is the economy, and that is Romney's strong point, and if Karl Rove and team Romney can control that narrative then they have a good shot at winning. I would argue that likeability, albeit still an important trait to possess is less important in this years elecions than we saw in 2004, considering that there are so many people still suffering from the terrible economy.

I would argue, all campaigns being equal, with equally effective messaging, that a Mr."fixit" campaign focusing on the economy, jobs and deficit trumps a campaign focused on "fairness" and "inequality".

Reports are that with the super pacs, that Conservatives warchest will be equal to that of team Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-insiders/post/obama-loses-the-advantage-on-fundraising/2012/02/02/gIQAoDDFkQ_blog.html

I can't find the link that I read a few weeks ago, but this one pertains to that subject.

There is gonna be alot of money this year on the conservative side with some very effective political operatives working on their behalf. Negative favorability ratings will rise on both sides, that you can be sure of.

You racist bastard!