The Official Mitt Romney thread

Super fast trades profit on arbitrage unless you'd like to program black box that finds the increasingly small difference in price of JPY/AUD between London and NY?

I'm writing one that does that (the first) for options trading. The logic isn't too tough; getting the real-time data and making it fast enough to be competitive is difficult in the extreme. I figure I need a minimum of $100k in capital to go live with it. My brother in law suggested I'd be better off selling it to a hedge fund.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you can't imagine any changes that might level the playing field? think maybe a method could be found to stop the gaming around the mandated time to buy positions for mutual funds invested in by us plebs? to stop super fast trades that profit not on knowledge but gamesmanship and better computers? i'm sure there are many other examples where the system could be tweaked to make it more fair. but there not gonna happen cuz the people that run the system are the ones winning big. btw, i currently own no individual stocks inside or outside my 401k and have done better than average but 10% over the last 2 years is much better than average. maybe it's a one of, but i doubt it. it doesn't matter the mechanism for the unfairness in the system ("it's how the market operates"- no stojan, sherlock) and the really significant redistribution of wealth it causes, it's the fact that it is inherently unfair. and lets not even get into insider trading and illegal activities that happen way too often (i know, mitt's investments are in blind trusts so this doesn't directly relate to him but who knows about the guys behind the curtain).

finally, you entirely missed my point about pension funds. it's the size of them that lets them compete with the romney's and buffets. without unions these workers be totally outmatched as are so many small investors.

Stop comparing yourself to other people and worry about your own ****. God you sound pathetic....."waaaaah, Mitt Romney earns more in his IRA than I do"

Life unfair dipshit....deal with it.

Edited by Chef Jim

I'm not sure if you know what I do for a living but I review people's portfolios all the time and the majority of them are clueless.

What do you think of SiriusXM? That's my one stock (100 shares) I own, as a long term investment.

How much for you to review my portfolio I have with Edward Jones?

Super fast trades profit on arbitrage unless you'd like to program black box that finds the increasingly small difference in price of JPY/AUD between London and NY?

ever heard of a paradigm shift? maybe this method of "commerce" does more harm than good. maybe it's not really needed. maybe we could do without it.

What do you think of SiriusXM? That's my one stock (100 shares) I own, as a long term investment.

How much for you to review my portfolio I have with Edward Jones?

Just off the top - any stock that trades well below $5 should never, ever, ever, ever be used as a long term investment. Something to play with in case it pops, like putting $100 on Bills winning the SB every year, but as a possible source of long term savings, never, ever, ever.

ever heard of a paradigm shift? maybe this method of "commerce" does more harm than good. maybe it's not really needed. maybe we could do without it.

WTF are you even talking about? There is an arb opportunity and it's getting even smaller and smaller due to freer flow of information and as long as there is one, black box trading will still exist of course as Tom stated above, you need a huge amount of capital to exploit these tiny mispricing in the market.

Same thing exists with regular goods, I buy in bulk and sell it to my consumers at a profit specifically because i buy in bulk

Just off the top - any stock that trades well below $5 should never, ever, ever, ever be used as a long term investment. Something to play with in case it pops, like putting $100 on Bills winning the SB every year, but as a possible source of long term savings, never, ever, ever.

Doubly so when it's trading at 50+ times earnings.

Stop comparing yourself to other people and worry about your own ****. God you sound pathetic....."waaaaah, Mitt Romney earns more in his IRA than I do"

i guess you have to be a fatalist to some degree to be a bills fan...you're just more of one than me.

That's really what it is. It's like the line from As Good as it Gets when Jack says it's not that you have it so bad but that someone else has it so much better, that really bothers you.

i guess you have to be a fatalist to some degree to be a bills fan...you're just more of one than me.

No life is unfair. It's people like you who complain about it on message boards. It's people like me who work within the parameters they have to make their life as good as it can possibly be.

I know it's $50k THIS year but I doubt he's made his full contribution. I was basically going off last year because it's likely the last time he contributed.

Yeah sure. ;)

Those who have difficulty coping with their perceived lives injustices; complain, gripe and cry foul.

Those who focus on themselves and the task at hand, usually are able to move forward.

Edited by Magox

so you can't imagine any changes that might level the playing field? think maybe a method could be found to stop the gaming around the mandated time to buy positions for mutual funds invested in by us plebs? to stop super fast trades that profit not on knowledge but gamesmanship and better computers? i'm sure there are many other examples where the system could be tweaked to make it more fair. but there not gonna happen cuz the people that run the system are the ones winning big. btw, i currently own no individual stocks inside or outside my 401k and have done better than average but 10% over the last 2 years is much better than average. maybe it's a one of, but i doubt it. it doesn't matter the mechanism for the unfairness in the system ("it's how the market operates"- no stojan, sherlock) and the really significant redistribution of wealth it causes, it's the fact that it is inherently unfair. and lets not even get into insider trading and illegal activities that happen way too often (i know, mitt's investments are in blind trusts so this doesn't directly relate to him but who knows about the guys behind the curtain).

finally, you entirely missed my point about pension funds. it's the size of them that lets them compete with the romney's and buffets. without unions these workers be totally outmatched as are so many small investors.

I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver and a utility knife. I think that the system should be made more fair for me to conduct brain surgery.

Again you're showing a complete lack of understanding of financial markets and the players. Your mutual fund has billions in it, is run by professionals, yet they still didn't get returns like Romney. Sounds unfair, right? But mutual fund managers are hamstrung by investment restrictions and safeguards that prevent them from taking outsized risks that hedge funds and private equity firms take. That's also why small investors aren't allowed to invest in many of these funds because they are more volatile and take on more risk, but of course produce high rewards if the investment hits.

and somehow that precludes you from complaining about perceived wrongs on a message board? really?

It precludes me from complaining about things I have no control over. I pick my battles and fight them. The fact that the investment field is not level causes me to climb to the higher end not wallow in my sorrow at the lower end.

Everything.

The SEC regulations are backwards. Individual investors are the ones who need to pass a test before they're allowed to invest. It's not that the game is rigged, it's that the odds are heavily stocked against individual investors who do not have the capacity to have the same information & react in the same way as professionals. What % of individual investors actually take time to research an investment, let alone read a prospectus cover to cover?

What is your profession?