Would you trade FJ for a 1st rounder in 2012?

D521646

Who needs a solid running back in the league?

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Seems if this scenario played out, the Bills would benefit?

Thoughts?

Tim-

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't imagine any GM being stupid enough to do this, but oh hell yes!

I think there would be some GM's would jump at this. Fred Jackson, at 31, is going to be immediately more productive than any of the other RB's in the draft, and could give you excellent production for at least another 2 years. For example, you think the Saints would rather have Mark Ingram (2011 1st round pick) or Fred Jackson?

Me personally, I think it's insane to use a 1st round pick on a RB, because they seem to be a dime a dozen. But I could see a GM going for something like this.

(ps: I personally wouldn't trade Jackson away if I were Nix).

I think there would be some GM's would jump at this. Fred Jackson, at 31, is going to be immediately more productive than any of the other RB's in the draft, and could give you excellent production for at least another 2 years. For example, you think the Saints would rather have Mark Ingram (2011 1st round pick) or Fred Jackson?

Me personally, I think it's insane to use a 1st round pick on a RB, because they seem to be a dime a dozen. But I could see a GM going for something like this.

(ps: I personally wouldn't trade Jackson away if I were Nix).

They'd take Ingram.

No ones giving a 1 to a team for an older back. Jacksons age is a bigger knock than marshawns legal issues.

No way, Fred was on target to be league MPV (pre injury), a 1st round pick could bust. Plus putting it all on CJ at this time isn't worth it yet, I think it will be but just not yet. Use them both next year a lot and move away from the 5 wide a bit. Get another TE who is good and copy NE*. The D can be improved with out this move. The running game can be explosive with both these backs. With Fitz throwing on average 6.74 per completion and both of these backs running for more than 5 a carry, it is well worth it to have them both and pass less.

No way, Fred was on target to be league MPV (pre injury), a 1st round pick could bust. Plus putting it all on CJ at this time isn't worth it yet, I think it will be but just not yet. Use them both next year a lot and move away from the 5 wide a bit. Get another TE who is good and copy NE*. The D can be improved with out this move. The running game can be explosive with both these backs. With Fitz throwing on average 6.74 per completion and both of these backs running for more than 5 a carry, it is well worth it to have them both and pass less.

Yes, I would trade him for a first rounder. No doubt about it. He is a great player, but won't be part of the Bills when they finally make a playoff run. If we can get two pass rushers, or an OLB/DE and OT, or even better, trade to a team high in the draft and get an OLB/DE and RG3, even better.

Well, yeah, but I look at that stupid Carson Palmer trade and I was thinking, well, why not? What team wouldn't want FJ? Which team is looking at drafting a RB in the first round this year?

Tim-

Or what team like the Steelers are in desparate need of a RB?!? But have other holes to fill that could be filled later in the draft by trading their 1st round to get the RB situation solved? Not saying the Steelers are the team that will make the trade, but what team really is in need of a RB? Perhaps Green Bay, imagine if they had Jackson? They don't have many other needs. A top RB would make the offense....I can't even imagine how good with FJ.

Edited by RyanC883

No. Why would you trade a known quantity that performs at a high level for an unknown quantity? Not only that, very few draft picks contribute immediately, so we would be decreasing quality of product for 2012. Fred J accounted for the majority of our offense last year. Why would be so stupid as to get rid of that on a shiny new toy that may not really work?

It doesn't make sense. On top of that, it is stupid. For all the bitching that people do about Buffalo getting rid of good players, I'm surprised this would be suggested and agreed with. We do want to win next year, right?

Hear me out. FJ is 31 coming off an injury, yes great back no doubt but if we could get a 1st rounder for him, would you trade him? If we could lock up the two stud LB's from Bama, isn't it fair to say that CJ and Choice would manage 1200/14 yeard next season?

Thoughts?

Tim-

you're out of your mind...nobody would give up a first rounder for Jackson even if he was 28 instead of 31. Every year there are a handful of rookie RBs who make big splashes. it's the easiest position on the planet to find and the one with the shortest shelf life.

Edited by Endless Ike

No. Why would you trade a known quantity that performs at a high level for an unknown quantity? Not only that, very few draft picks contribute immediately, so we would be decreasing quality of product for 2012. Fred J accounted for the majority of our offense last year. Why would be so stupid as to get rid of that on a shiny new toy that may not really work?

It doesn't make sense. On top of that, it is stupid. For all the bitching that people do about Buffalo getting rid of good players, I'm surprised this would be suggested and agreed with. We do want to win next year, right?

Well, that's why I asked for thoughts. Me, well I'd do it in a heartbeat if the situation presented itself. Freddies production can be made up by CJ and Choice next year. Even if not 100% at least to a managable degree. It wouldn't be stupid to get a first rounder fro FJ, it would be stupid to pass on that..

Tim-

ALL-PRO level talent is worth much more than a single first round pick.

Fred Jackson in my mind is at All-Pro level.

i would NOT trade Fred Jackson for a first round pick.....

in fact, i would trade MY first round pick for any All-Pro at any position.

I agree with all of you who said that it wouldn't happen because of FJ's age, but even if offered, I wouldn't make the trade. More and more teams are discovering the need for two backs, and we have that when FJ is healthy. Nobody else on our depth chart comes close to being a solid contributor.

Edited by jjmac

Of course.Although a 30th pick wouldn't be as attracive.

If Freddie were 27 or younger he'd garner a 1st half of the first round pick.

Right now he is worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

-But I'd hate to trade him. He's OUR Fred!!-He is something great that the Bills

did that no other team did.Those occurances are few and far between with this franchise

the past 12 years.

Thoughts?

Tim-

For the colts pick, yes.

Thoughts?

Tim-

Are you serious? Only Bills fans would think they can get a first round pick for a 31 year old RB coming off a broken leg. Shaun Alexander coming off a recent MVP season and league wide dominance for several years couldnt fetch a 2nd rounder at age 28...that same year, Edgerin James couldnt fetch a 2nd rounder either at age 28...the list goes on and on...Marshall Faulk was traded for a 2nd and a 5th rounder at the beginning of his prime...

Why not post a thread that says if we could trade Fitzpick for Aaron Rodgers straight up should we do it because that has about the same probability as landing a first rounder for our 31 year old RB coming off a broken leg. Even if FJ was 27 years old right now in this same situation he would not fetch a first round pick. I love FJ, he is a talented all around RB and a great teammate, but in todays NFL, RB's dont carry the same value they once did and unless you are an ELITE and special RB in the early parts of their prime it just wont happen.

Whats next...the thread on whether we should trade Fitzpick for a first round pick? lol...

Let me just make this really simple...if anyone offers us a first round pick for anyone on our roster not named Dareus or Spiller we should INTSTANTLY say yes because we would have just fleeced whatever GM was just dumb enough to offer a first round pick for (insert any name on this roster here outside of Dareus or Spiller)...If its a top 10 pick, then we should even consider moving Spiller too. Outside of Spiller or Dareus, there is not another player on this roster with enough upside or talent to even consider saying no to a first round pick offer. This includes Eric Wood who cant stay healthy...If the pick was high enough I would even consider trading Spiller, but it would have to be a high pick and there would have to be a player there that was a top prospect at a major position of need like DE, LB, OT, or QB.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I agree with all of you who said that it wouldn't happen because of FJ's age, but even if offered, I wouldn't make the trade. More and more teams are discovering the need for two backs, and we have that when FJ is healthy. Nobody else on our depth chart comes close to being a solid contributor.

So you would turn down a potential impact player for the next 10 years to keep an aging player who has at most 2 years left in him (if that as we dont even know how he will respond after the broken leg) at a position where we have a young stud in Spiller already? I mean next year FJ wont even be a full time player as he will split carries with Spiller...I cant believe people would rather have an old player with little left in the tank that is now a part time player over a potential impact player for the next decade at a position we desperately need help with...

I love FJ, but keeping him over taking a first round pick would be a major setback for this team...but then again, no one and I mean no one in the NFL would even offer a first round pick for him so this topic is pointless. The truth is we would only get a 4th for him if we are lucky, and thats not even likely. Not because he has no talent, but hes way too old, coming off a broken leg, and plays a position that is the easiest position in football to fill. There are a NUMBER of other talented RB's on rosters that would be a much better pick up as they are a lot younger that could be had for less than a first round pick.