Polian to Buffalo?

Coach55

With Buddy Nix scheduled to retire after the draft, is there any chance that we bring back Polian to be the GM? I know its a long shot, but Polian has built 3 long-term playoff contenders in the past 20 years. Is there still bad blood or has all been resolved? Thoughts?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Buddy Nix scheduled to retire after the draft, is there any chance that we bring back Polian to be the GM? I know its a long shot, but Polian has built 3 long-term playoff contenders in the past 20 years. Is there still bad blood or has all been resolved? Thoughts?

Has there been anything from OBD confirming Buddy's retirement? No thank you to Polian comong back. There are reasons Ralph fired him, and they sound pretty much like the reasons he just got canned in Indy.

Has there been anything from OBD confirming Buddy's retirement? No thank you to Polian comong back. There are reasons Ralph fired him, and they sound pretty much like the reasons he just got canned in Indy.

That he's mean to people I don't know and rude to reporters? Yeah, who wants a GM that knows how to build a winner if he comes with that kind of baggage!

That he's mean to people I don't know and rude to reporters? Yeah, who wants a GM that knows how to build a winner if he comes with that kind of baggage!

He built a winner that fell apart when one person was lost for the season. Yes, he is mean to people, but even I know that you should not be mean to the boss, which he was in Buffalo. He is the last peron I want here.

I'd consider it if he was the same person with the fire in his belly who built great teams 20-25 years ago.

However he's had one foot in retirement and was letting his son run things (into the ground) for the last several years.

Based on that, I would say no thanks.

It will be interesting how much interest Polian gets (none so far) and if he would insist on his son being part of a package deal.

Considering also that he's just one year younger than our own (maligned) geriatric GM Buddy Nix, it wouldn't be a surprise if Polian retired.

He built a winner that fell apart when one person was lost for the season. Yes, he is mean to people, but even I know that you should not be mean to the boss, which he was in Buffalo. He is the last peron I want here.

So because the Colts suck in 2011 (and will get a great QB as a result), that negates year after year of 10+ wins and a SB championship??

And Manning isn't the only reason the Colts fell apart. They are old, especially on offense.

Really?

From here, it looks like of recent years Indy was all Manning. Right now with a 12 yr old playoff drought, we think we'd be happy to be relevant in January. Become relevant in January, and would we be happy with 2 Superbowl appearances and 1 SB win out of 10 years of playoff appearances? Polian did a great job here but that was long ago. Word is of recent years in Indy it's not clear who was making the decisions, Chris or Bill but Bill signed off on them all - and the end result was a team that completely fell apart when 1 player was injured, and that had no reasonable backup plan in place.

Not because he's mean to people you don't know, but because of recent years, he hasn't built the kind of success we want to see - No Thanks.

So because the Colts suck in 2011 (and will get a great QB as a result), that negates year after year of 10+ wins and a SB championship??

And Manning isn't the only reason the Colts fell apart. They are old, especially on offense.

Yeah that's the thing... ONE bad season and the face of the franchise was injured... that doesn't make him (well, them) a bad option at all. I'd love to see him back if Buddy retired... but that's not official. Plus, not that this was brought up but its on some people's minds, its year 2 of the rebuild. I'm wicked disappointed in the Bills and pissed off to boot, but I don't think Buddy is bad at his job to this point. Too early to tell IMO.

When did they last win that championship? And why only one? And with Manning on the field, that old offense is so much better.

Really?

Yes, really.

Exaclty the point, they are old. The recent drafts of the Colts have been as bad if not worse than Buffalo. They have not drafted any real difference makers in the past 5 years.

2006 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

1 30 30 Joseph Addai Running Back LSU

2 30 62 Tim Jennings Cornerback Georgia

3 30 94 Freddie Keiaho Linebacker San Diego State

5 29 162 Michael Toudouze Guard TCU

6 30 199 Charlie Johnson Offensive Tackle Oklahoma State

6 38 207 Antoine Bethea Safety Howard

7 30 238 T.J. Rushing Cornerback Stanford

2007 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

1 32 32 Anthony Gonzalez Wide Receiver Ohio State

2 10 42 Tony Ugoh Offensive Tackle Arkansas

3 31 95 Daymeion Hughes Cornerback California

3 34 98 Quinn Pitcock Defensive Tackle Ohio State

4 32 131 Brannon Condren Safety Troy

4 37 136 Clint Session Linebacker Pittsburgh

5 32 169 Roy Hall Wide Receiver Ohio State

5 36 173 Michael Coe Cornerback Alabama State

7 32 232 Keyunta Dawson Linebacker Texas Tech

2008 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

2 28 59 Mike Pollak Center Arizona State

3 30 93 Philip Wheeler Linebacker Georgia Tech

4 28 127 Jacob Tamme Tight End Kentucky

5 26 161 Marcus Howard Linebacker Georgia

6 30 196 Tom Santi Tight End Virginia

6 35 201 Steve Justice Center Wake Forest

6 36 202 Mike Hart Running Back Michigan

6 39 205 Pierre Garcon Wide Receiver Mount Union

7 29 236 Jamey Richard Center Buffalo

2009 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

1 27 27 Donald Brown Running Back Connecticut

2 24 56 Fili Moala Defensive Tackle USC

3 28 92 Jerraud Powers Cornerback Auburn

4 27 127 Austin Collie Wide Receiver Brigham Young

4 36 136 Terrance Taylor Defensive Tackle Michigan

6 28 201 Curtis Painter Quarterback Purdue

7 13 222 Pat McAfee Kicker West Virginia

7 27 236 Jaimie Thomas Guard Maryland

2010 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

1 31 31 Jerry Hughes Defensive End TCU

2 31 63 Pat Angerer Linebacker Iowa

3 30 94 Kevin Thomas Cornerback USC

4 31 129 Jacques McClendon Guard Tennessee

5 31 162 Brody Eldridge Tight End Oklahoma

7 31 238 Ricardo Mathews Defensive End Cincinnati

7 33 240 Kavell Conner Linebacker Clemson

7 39 246 Ray Fisher Cornerback Indiana

2011 DraftRound Pick # Overall Name Position College

1 22 22 Anthony Castonzo Offensive Tackle Boston College

2 17 49 Benjamin Ijalana Offensive Tackle Villanova

3 23 87 Drake Nevis Defensive Tackle Louisiana State

4 22 119 Delone Carter Running Back Syracuse

6 23 188 Chris Rucker Cornerback Michigan State

Edited by CountDorkula

Bill Polian - yes, if we knew he would be on the job for a while (3+ years).

But the fact remains he was in semi-retirement and Chris was making the decisions the last few years. So some say he approved Chris' decisions? The same way Ralph does today - he listens to everyone's reasoning and says, "Sounds good to me!" That's not what we want - we could all do that ourselves.

The Polian who built the Championship Bills was on the ground, working with scouts and meeting / working out prospects - that guy has retired and wants what every Dad would want - his son to run the show. And if it takes his presence, he'll join up, but make no mistake, his son would run the show. NO THANKS. (But THANKS for the late-80's & early-90's Bills!!!)

I can't blame Irsay in the least and Ralph deserves a pardon for a lot of the venom spewed his way regarding Polian's ouster way back when. Ready Sully's column (if you can), he makes some valid points and reveals some unkown info (to me)- example: John Butler had grown tired of Polian (I believe Sully said Butler found him unbearable in the end).

Nix is scheduled to retire after the draft? ... i'd certainly hedge that assumption.

jw

Not a chance

The guys latest success had come because he was able to build a team around one of the best QB's to ever play the game, and that success was 1 SB win in around a decade. His teams were always carried on the shoulders of Manning. He's not the GM/football god that fans here make him out to be. His time is over

His greatest success was over 20 years ago with the 4 straight SB Bills teams, but that was in a different era without a salary cap. He quickly threw together a Carolina expansion team that made it to the SB, but was never a "long-term playoff contender", they have only made the playoffs 4 seasons in their entire existence, and only once in Polians time as President. The entire time he has been in Indy, he has had Manning, and has one SB win(for his career) to show for it

Edited by apuszczalowski

Polian might've won more championships in Indy if P-Gump didn't fold so many times in the post-season.... yet he wouldn't have won as many regular season games without P-Gump either. Tough situation for him to be in all those years, I guess he was right to go for as many wins as possible with one miracle in 2006.