Polian to Buffalo?

Coach55

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He built a winner that fell apart when one person was lost for the season. Yes, he is mean to people, but even I know that you should not be mean to the boss, which he was in Buffalo. He is the last peron I want here.

Why do you give a **** if he's mean to the boss? Someone should be...the boss is a meddling idiot

Edited by Endless Ike

If Ralph fired him and didn't want him when he was younger and very successful why would he bring him back now that he is much older and coming off a 2-14 record? If I was an owner of any business and I fired a guy I can promise you I would never hire him back. I personally would love Polian to be our GM but that would make zero sense for Ralph to rehire him.

He built a winner that fell apart when one person was lost for the season. Yes, he is mean to people, but even I know that you should not be mean to the boss, which he was in Buffalo. He is the last peron I want here.

What if the boss is an idiot who doesn't care about winning as much as he did?

Are you really trying to justify the firing of the best GM in Bills history (not a crowded field)?

So because the Colts suck in 2011 (and will get a great QB as a result), that negates year after year of 10+ wins and a SB championship??

And Manning isn't the only reason the Colts fell apart. They are old, especially on offense.

I feel that the Colts were built on a few very good players, and a supporting cast that wasn't all that great. They peaked two years ago. Last year they were in the playoffs but were significantly less dominant. Obviously it can't be proven, but even with Peyton I would have predicted them to be a middle of the pack team this year.

I feel that they spent big money on QB and pass rushers, and could no longer afford the rest of the supporting players. When their better receivers left, they fell apart. Their O-line is also getting old. Was this Polian's master plan, to put together a few key pieces and make a run, and then have it fall apart because it can't be sustained?

I never viewed the Colts to be a "dynasty" like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and a few other teams that seem to be perennial playoff teams. Those teams are able to get by with some of the pieces missing better than the Colts, even with Peyton in the game. I know Bills fans will immediately say that they would gladly have a house of cards that gets into the playoffs and even into the Superbowl once, and maybe that is the right approach in this parity league.

Actually, the Colts provide a good recipe for success: get a great QB, a few very good receivers, a very good O-line and some very good pass rushers. Almost the opposite of the Bills at this point.

Do I want Polian back in Buffalo ??

Do I want sunshine, money, happiness, health --- YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!

This is easy -- in the past 50 years there was only one sustained period of success in Buffalo -- when Polian was running the football operations

He is one of very few GM's that has one EVERYWHERE he has been --- even in BUFFALO !! --- even in INDY !!

Some of these posts are ridiculous -- this team hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years and your complaining he's MEAN ?? ---- unbelievable

Why do you give a **** if he's mean to the boss? Someone should be...the boss is a meddling idiot

But he's the boss, the guy who owns the franchise. Meddling is his prerogative.

What if the boss is an idiot who doesn't care about winning as much as he did?

Are you really trying to justify the firing of the best GM in Bills history (not a crowded field)?

You can call the boss an idiot and be pleasant about it. Can I justify his firing. Yes I can. Ralph Wilson, the owner, said so.

I think it's weird how those who would like Polian brought back for the most part have completely ignored the points made by those who feel it would be a bad idea:

1) Living off his reputation

2) Dubious record of success inflated by Manning

3) Semi-retired for the last several years (he's 69 years old)

4) Nepotism involving his gravy-training son

5) Inability to get along with co-workers, the media, the fans

6) Exodus of scouts from the organization due to his autocratic style

I only hear two arguments for Polian:

1) His record of success (which doesn't hold up well under the microscope)

2) It doesn't matter if he can work with others

I'm gonna stick with the people who think that a hypothetical Polian return would be a very bad idea.

BTW, the Raiders and Rams were both looking for a GM… neither team was interested in Polian.

Maybe Marv Levy can be head coach again.

youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k

PTR

you can keep Marv - he rode the Hall of Fame talent Polain acquired -and still managed to screw up and not win a SB

Polian is the real deal,

Even if he is retired, he is better than what we have had in the last 15 years

He understands you need a QB and a pass rush to be a contender and built his team accordingly

He then went out and tanked the season to be guaranteed the next great QB

With Buddy Nix scheduled to retire after the draft, is there any chance that we bring back Polian to be the GM? I know its a long shot, but Polian has built 3 long-term playoff contenders in the past 20 years. Is there still bad blood or has all been resolved? Thoughts?

If Nix retires I am not for hiring retreads. We have a very capable and highly sought after GM waiting in the wings in Whaley.

So because the Colts suck in 2011 (and will get a great QB as a result), that negates year after year of 10+ wins and a SB championship??

And Manning isn't the only reason the Colts fell apart. They are old, especially on offense.

3rd youngest team in the league @ # 30

30. Indianapolis Colts (average age) 25.14

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/24828/age-rankings-for-every-nfl-team

so much for that theory but nice try.

3rd youngest team in the league @ # 30

30. Indianapolis Colts (average age) 25.14

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/24828/age-rankings-for-every-nfl-team

so much for that theory but nice try.

But what happens if you take a look at the core players like Manning, Saturday , Clark, etc? I think that was the point of KD?

With Buddy Nix scheduled to retire after the draft, is there any chance that we bring back Polian to be the GM? I know its a long shot, but Polian has built 3 long-term playoff contenders in the past 20 years. Is there still bad blood or has all been resolved? Thoughts?

Polians competency at present is a moot point.Ralph wouldnt hire him.

He built a winner that fell apart when one person was lost? So is Polian the only one accountable for the season? What about the coaches and the players? Where was Indy when he got there? Do you erase the past ten years of winning? Sounds a bit short sighted to me.

Last person you want here? Really? Come on. He has been in the league for a long time and his track record is outstanding. He is clearly one of the best GMs in the history of the NFL and he will be in Canton someday. Just not good enough for you though?

Get on his bad side and he will not respect you. So be it. Does he rub some people the wrong way. Yes. So do lots of other people in this sport and in this world for that matter.

Meanwhile we can maintain or status as NFL bottom feeders but at least we have a humorous nice guy running the team that is always nice to his boss and never questions the status quo.

Edited by Bob in STL

i

i dont think polian or any experienced gm would accept taking the job after the draft...only one who the reigns are being handed off to....if Whaley signs elsewhere, i think Nix sticks it out one more year.

I think it's weird how those who would like Polian brought back for the most part have completely ignored the points made by those who feel it would be a bad idea:

1) Living off his reputation

2) Dubious record of success inflated by Manning

3) Semi-retired for the last several years (he's 69 years old)

4) Nepotism involving his gravy-training son

5) Inability to get along with co-workers, the media, the fans

6) Exodus of scouts from the organization due to his autocratic style

I only hear two arguments for Polian:

1) His record of success (which doesn't hold up well under the microscope)

2) It doesn't matter if he can work with others

I'm gonna stick with the people who think that a hypothetical Polian return would be a very bad idea.

BTW, the Raiders and Rams were both looking for a GM… neither team was interested in Polian.

I could debate this statement all day but will not go there. I must say you surprised me with it.

My vote is to stick with Whaley rather than return to the past. Polian and Wilson cannot exist together anyway, and that does not put Polian in the minority.

However, I will always argue that Polian is one of the all time great GMs based on this:

1. Record with the Bills - building a winning dynasty with Ralph Wilson as your boss. A feat that has never been accomplished before or since.

2. Involvement with numerous NFL league and rules comittees - highly respected by peers.

3. Working for Tagliabue - key involvment with setting up free agency and salary cap to help keep compettive balance in the league

4. Lauching the Carolina franchise to instant sucess

5. Reviving the moribund Colts and winning a SB.

This crap about inheriting Jim Kelly and Payton Manning is a ridciulous arguement. Name a great coach or GM that did not have a great QB? You can't do it. Why single Polian out for that?

Hypothtically speaking, if I became an owner of a NFL team Polian would be at the top of my interview list.

Edited by Bob in STL