Report: Indy Colts' short list for new GM includes ...

merlin

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

Working for anyone in the IRSAY family could turn out to be a bad dream.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

No way. A "dream job" does not involve working for someone who is as crazy as the Colts owner. Imagine how fast Whaley would be fired if he made the "wrong pick" with the first pick. Indy is a boring city. The fans are less passionate about the Colts than Bills fans (its a basketball first city). I'd stick in Buffalo where you have a younger team, and live in a "football-first" city.

Whaley is not going anywhere.

Buddy Nix brought him in to take over as GM. This was clear to everyone in the NFL including Whaley.

The Bills could not clean house, including Whaley.

The Fans may want to clean house but it "ain't gonna happen"

Whaley was a bit of coup to bring in house. Whaley is looked at as one of the up and coming executives in the NFL. His mark was placed on the Bills 2011 draft.

If the organization's decision is lose Whaley or keep Nix. Nix actually will be retiring; like the rumor mill that is swirling is saying.

Whaley spent years in Pittsburgh, so he is not clamoring for life in the big city. He just bought a nice house by Delaware Park. I don't think he is trying to leave. I think he knows the plan is for him to take over and he will live up to the plan. Nix isn't getting any younger and they probably already discussed the timeline for the transition.

"Indianapolis is a nice place to live?" That is the first time that has ever been said. It is called Napianapolis as in ZZzZZZZZ there is nothing to do but take a Nap.

But yes Whaley could take the bird in hand rather than a bird in the bush, but I'd be surprised if the Bills grant permission for an interview. They can't let Whaley go. It would be a death-nail type of brain drain, He would take his team with him and the Bills would essentially be rebuilding again.

I agree Whaley is not leaving. In terms of "live in the Big City" the Pittsburgh metro area has well over a million more residents than Indy. Plus, the Indy metro area is barley bigger than the Buffalo metro area, and Buffalo is a much nice place to live, cost of living wise, things to do, etc. Your right on about Indy being boring.

I'd put my money he leaves in a heartbeat if The colts offer him the job before we do. He'd have 2 good qbs. One for trade bait the other to lead the team for 12 years. We have no trade bait, no qb, an owner that doesn't like to spend, a coaching staff that can't get the most of their personnel and the biggest playoff drought in the nfl. I doubt he would even have to call him back. He'd probably answer yes on the initial phone call.

Btw, napiapolas is nicer than Buffalo. Yep

I'm guessing that was sarcasm.

I live in the DC area, I grew up in Buffalo, I travel for a living.

I've spent time in Napianapolis. It is clean but is not a better City to live in. I don't think anyone except for the people born in Napianapolis would rather live in Napianapolis over Buffalo.

I don't want to live in either city but the Buffalo loathing has to stop somewhere. Napianapolis is no where to live.

I'd put my money he leaves in a heartbeat if The colts offer him the job before we do. He'd have 2 good qbs. One for trade bait the other to lead the team for 12 years. We have no trade bait, no qb, an owner that doesn't like to spend, a coaching staff that can't get the most of their personnel and the biggest playoff drought in the nfl. I doubt he would even have to call him back. He'd probably answer yes on the initial phone call.

Don't forget 'fans' in Buffalo who are lighting torches before you even getting in town.

Working for anyone in the IRSAY family could turn out to be a bad dream.

Actually, by all accounts, the CURRENT Irsay who owns the team (Jim) is a great owner to work for (unlike his father Robert, who had .... "issues"). Jim doesn't mind spending money, as long as he is convinced it is being spent "wisely". He's an "involved" owner, but not overly meddlesome. I think the Colts GM position is probably pretty attractive (stable ownership, a potential for 2 star quarterbacks at worst, or 1 star qb plus a boat load of high draft picks), a new state-of-the-art stadium already in place .... what's not to like? btw, the other "rumor" (wish?) floating around is that Irsay will make a run at Jeff Fisher for coach, and then let HIM have a say in who the new GM is.

No one really thinks Manning will remain with the Colts. He'll probably get to pick what team he wants to play for next ... and depending on what SF does in the playoffs this year, that might be an appealing destination for him.

I'm guessing that was sarcasm.

I live in the DC area, I grew up in Buffalo, I travel for a living.

I've spent time in Napianapolis. It is clean but is not a better City to live in. I don't think anyone except for the people born in Napianapolis would rather live in Napianapolis over Buffalo.

I don't want to live in either city but the Buffalo loathing has to stop somewhere. Napianapolis is no where to live.

I also grew up in Buffalo (from the 1950's until I finished grad school at UB in the 1970's), and have lived in Indianapolis ever since. I actually think both places are about equal, in terms of what the cities have to offer, things to do, environment, climate, etc. Indy seems to have a lot of the advantages of a "big city" without actually being a very big city - due mostly to the fact that it is the state capital, and has several major universities.

Anyway, if Doug Whaley is offered the job as Colts GM, I'm pretty sure his decision won't come down to which city is a better place to live - they are too similar for either to have much of an advantage on that score.

(btw, even though I've lived in Indy for nearly 35 years, I've always remained a Bills fan, so I'm hoping that whatever is best for the Bills happens!!)

Stupid IMO. Trade the guy that has 1-3 years left for 3-4 picks. Might not be all 1st rd picks, but 2 1st rd and a couple mid round picks isn't too shabby and you wouldn't have to worry about getting another great qb in 1-3 years. It's not easy to land that franchise qb....look at us.

Well, I think differently. Yiu say it's hard to find that Franchise QB and that I happen to agree with. However when you rely on one guy and the most important position in football you set yourself up for possible failure. Indy proved that this year when they went from 12-4 to 2-14 in one season. Is there anyone here that thinks Payton being on the field they wouldn't have won at least 10 games? Yes that males that position so important but at the same time it's all your eggs in one basket. I'm a team first kind of guy not a Franchise QB kind of guy. So I'd take the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys, early 2000 Pats teams over a QB driven team anyday. Yes it's true Payton won a SB, so did Brees and Rodgers. But the Pats, and Steelers have been there 7 times in the last 11 years. We can say Big Ben is good to great but his teams are the reason they won 2, same with Brady for 2 of his 3 wins. The reason why the Pats and Steelers didn't win thier last games was because thier defenses couldn't get it done against offenses that weren't nearly as good as thier own.

I'd trade the #1 pick (basically Luck) for let's just say two 1st rounders and two 2nds (which would probably be worst case scenario, prolly get at least 3), trade Manning for a 1st and 2nd (also probably minimum requested) and take my 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders in the next 2-3 years. End up taking players like RG3 and Blackmon/Jeffrey/Floyd, build your future offense, take the rest on defensive players and keep what else you have on O with Clark, Wayne, Garcon, thier young OLine, and pick up some young FA QB or draft another in round 2-3 to compete with RG3. .

No one is right or wrong here, either can and would probably work. I'm just a guy that would rather not rely on 1 guy.

I don't know why people believe Indy is a more attractive franchise than Buffalo.

Indy is constrained by debt, imminent cap hell, an aging roster with multiple holes, a very expensive quarterback that might play, might not, and a slew of draft picks you have to find money to pay for. What isn't factored into the equation is the considerable debt the team has which constrains spending on the field. You factor in the number of albatross contracts they have, as GM, your ability to make over a roster is severely limited in the short term.

All in a small market. Indy can't spend like the Jets.

The Bills have no team debt, no imminent cap hell and a younger roster with less holes. There is surely upside to being a Bills GM over a Colts GM. I don't find the Colts GM job all that attractive.

A local sports reporter here in Indianapolis (Bob Kravitz) mentions 3 possible candidates that are supposedly on Colts' owner Bob Irsay's "short list" to replace the recently fired Polians:

1. Tom Ciskowski (Dallas)

2. Doug Whaley (Buffalo)

3. Reggie McKenzie (Green Bay)

If Whaley is offered the GM job in Indy, he'd be crazy to stay in Buffalo. One organization is committed to winning and one isn't. Easy decision.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1325693935[/url]' post='2354435']

Well, I think differently. Yiu say it's hard to find that Franchise QB and that I happen to agree with. However when you rely on one guy and the most important position in football you set yourself up for possible failure. Indy proved that this year when they went from 12-4 to 2-14 in one season. Is there anyone here that thinks Payton being on the field they wouldn't have won at least 10 games? Yes that males that position so important but at the same time it's all your eggs in one basket. I'm a team first kind of guy not a Franchise QB kind of guy. So I'd take the Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys, early 2000 Pats teams over a QB driven team anyday. Yes it's true Payton won a SB, so did Brees and Rodgers. But the Pats, and Steelers have been there 7 times in the last 11 years. We can say Big Ben is good to great but his teams are the reason they won 2, same with Brady for 2 of his 3 wins. The reason why the Pats and Steelers didn't win thier last games was because thier defenses couldn't get it done against offenses that weren't nearly as good as thier own.

I'd trade the #1 pick (basically Luck) for let's just say two 1st rounders and two 2nds (which would probably be worst case scenario, prolly get at least 3), trade Manning for a 1st and 2nd (also probably minimum requested) and take my 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders in the next 2-3 years. End up taking players like RG3 and Blackmon/Jeffrey/Floyd, build your future offense, take the rest on defensive players and keep what else you have on O with Clark, Wayne, Garcon, thier young OLine, and pick up some young FA QB or draft another in round 2-3 to compete with RG3. .

No one is right or wrong here, either can and would probably work. I'm just a guy that would rather not rely on 1 guy.

You're assuming that you can land rg3, most likely a top 5 pick. So now you have about 4 teams you can work a trade with. IF I knew I could get rg3 plus all those picks, I'd agree with you and would trade Luck. But that's ONLY if I knew I could land that QB.

Every team puts all their eggs in one QB basket btw. Not many backups are leading their teams to SBs. I didn't say backups never do, because we saw first hand that they can, but very unlikely. And by trading manning and getting 2-3 high picks, you're still improving your team across the board, but will get a couple less picks to build from. Hardly putting all your eggs in one basket.

If Whaley is offered the GM job in Indy, he'd be crazy to stay in Buffalo. One organization is committed to winning and one isn't. Easy decision.

LOL! They were "committed to winning" thanks to having Manning.

I don't know why people believe Indy is a more attractive franchise than Buffalo.

Indy is constrained by debt, imminent cap hell, an aging roster with multiple holes, a very expensive quarterback that might play, might not, and a slew of draft picks you have to find money to pay for. What isn't factored into the equation is the considerable debt the team has which constrains spending on the field. You factor in the number of albatross contracts they have, as GM, your ability to make over a roster is severely limited in the short term.

All in a small market. Indy can't spend like the Jets.

The Bills have no team debt, no imminent cap hell and a younger roster with less holes. There is surely upside to being a Bills GM over a Colts GM. I don't find the Colts GM job all that attractive.

Spot on!

The ONLY thing that has ever made the Indianapolis Colts at all "sexy" is the one thing they are about to lose - Peyton Manning.

With him gone, that franchise sinks to the bottom of the league. Not just in terms of wins (as we saw this season) but in terms of any sort of national interest. Yes, even lower than the Bills.

They stunk before Manning was there too. Remember when they had Jeff George?

Edited by BobChalmers

LOL! They were "committed to winning" thanks to having Manning.

No, they have an owner that hasn't let the bottom line interfere with football operations and that equals a commitment to winning. Hires qualified football men and lets them do their job.

Do the Bills do that? We already know that answer, don't we?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Seriously???????????

Not sure where all this Indy bashing is coming from. All I said was that it was a nice place to live.

Can you guys say with a straight face that Buffalo is a better city to live in than Indianapolis? I've spent considerable time in Indy, including living there for about a 3-month stretch. It's not a great city. But it's new, clean, has solid suburbs, good economy, less snow, and super low cost of living. If you're a family man that wants an easy commute to work, live in the burbs, and eat at chain restaurants, it's probably a nicer option than Buffalo.

(I will agree with Ryan C above, that it's a weak football city).

No way. A "dream job" does not involve working for someone who is as crazy as the Colts owner. Imagine how fast Whaley would be fired if he made the "wrong pick" with the first pick. Indy is a boring city. The fans are less passionate about the Colts than Bills fans (its a basketball first city). I'd stick in Buffalo where you have a younger team, and live in a "football-first" city.

I agree Whaley is not leaving. In terms of "live in the Big City" the Pittsburgh metro area has well over a million more residents than Indy. Plus, the Indy metro area is barley bigger than the Buffalo metro area, and Buffalo is a much nice place to live, cost of living wise, things to do, etc. Your right on about Indy being boring.

Would you rather work for Bob Irsay or Ralph Wilson and his people who chop front office types off at the needs? Think about it for a moment.

As someone noted, Indy isn't moving anywhere, has the #1 pick, the guy has the chance to name his own HC, a new stadium and building something. In Buffalo you're reporting to people setting the team up for sale. Indianapolis may not be a huge market, but the working conditions are better than Buffalo.

Colts were horrible until they hired Polian and then made the playoffs from 2002 to 2010 after he turned the franchise around. After all this one bad season gets him fired? Particularity when the result of the bad season resulted in the ability to draft Andrew Luck? Hopefully Whaley stays right here.