Report: Indy Colts' short list for new GM includes ...

merlin

A local sports reporter here in Indianapolis (Bob Kravitz) mentions 3 possible candidates that are supposedly on Colts' owner Jim Irsay's "short list" to replace the recently fired Polians:

1. Tom Ciskowski (Dallas)

2. Doug Whaley (Buffalo)

3. Reggie McKenzie (Green Bay)

Edited by merlin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A local sports reporter here in Indianapolis (Bob Kravitz) mentions 3 possible candidates that are supposedly on Colts' owner Bob Irsay's "short list" to replace the recently fired Polians:

2. Doug Whaley (Buffalo)

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

1325689474[/url]' post='2354342']

Interesting. If I were Whaley, I would bolt. You get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and a chance to hire your own coach and make a mark on the organization. Plus, Indy is a nice city to live in.

It's a GM dream job.

Thanks for the shot of confidence, JR.

Though I agree..

is that OUR reggie mckenzie????

A local sports reporter here in Indianapolis (Bob Kravitz) mentions 3 possible candidates that are supposedly on Colts' owner Bob Irsay's "short list" to replace the recently fired Polians:

2. Doug Whaley (Buffalo)

Make me wonder if that is why it's either been reported that Whaley will be taking over or if someone in the Bills org leaked it as a rumor to deter him from leaving. Your right though, if I was DW I'd bolt in a heartbeat for Indy no matter what. Wouldn't even draft Luck, I'd trade the pick for like 3-4 first rounders in the upcoming years and just ride that out. I know quality is better than quantity but 3-4 first rounders is a lot of descent quality. Worth the move IMO.

haha; I know. Wish I could convince myself that Whaley should stay, but I can't.

Plus, he gets job security in Indy. If the Bills have another bad season next year, they could clean house, including Whaley.

Whaley is not going anywhere.

Buddy Nix brought him in to take over as GM. This was clear to everyone in the NFL including Whaley.

The Bills could not clean house, including Whaley.

The Fans may want to clean house but it "ain't gonna happen"

Whaley was a bit of coup to bring in house. Whaley is looked at as one of the up and coming executives in the NFL. His mark was placed on the Bills 2011 draft.

If the organization's decision is lose Whaley or keep Nix. Nix actually will be retiring; like the rumor mill that is swirling is saying.

Whaley spent years in Pittsburgh, so he is not clamoring for life in the big city. He just bought a nice house by Delaware Park. I don't think he is trying to leave. I think he knows the plan is for him to take over and he will live up to the plan. Nix isn't getting any younger and they probably already discussed the timeline for the transition.

"Indianapolis is a nice place to live?" That is the first time that has ever been said. It is called Napianapolis as in ZZzZZZZZ there is nothing to do but take a Nap.

But yes Whaley could take the bird in hand rather than a bird in the bush, but I'd be surprised if the Bills grant permission for an interview. They can't let Whaley go. It would be a death-nail type of brain drain, He would take his team with him and the Bills would essentially be rebuilding again.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Make me wonder if that is why it's either been reported that Whaley will be taking over or if someone in the Bills org leaked it as a rumor to deter him from leaving.

I was wondering the same thing. If Whaley bolts for the Colts, then it was likely just a stunt to try to keep him in town.

Make me wonder if that is why it's either been reported that Whaley will be taking over or if someone in the Bills org leaked it as a rumor to deter him from leaving. Your right though, if I was DW I'd bolt in a heartbeat for Indy no matter what. Wouldn't even draft Luck, I'd trade the pick for like 3-4 first rounders in the upcoming years and just ride that out. I know quality is better than quantity but 3-4 first rounders is a lot of descent quality. Worth the move IMO.

They'll get at least a 1st or a couple of 2nds for Manning after he requests a trade. Either way, he's gonna have picks to work with. I just don't think you can ever pass up a potential franchise QB (Luck). If Whaley leaves, Ralph needs to bring back the Polians to right the ship. Chris would be our long-term GM in this scenario. Of course, this would never happen...

Oh wait. Now we have to lock up Doug Whaley. Typical Bills to let such an up-and-coming talent walk out the door. I mean just yesterday they were going to promote that loser Doug Whaley from within the organization to take over for Buddy Nix when he retires. :blink:

PTR

1325690661[/url]' post='2354368']

Buddy Nix brought him in to take over as GM. This was clear to everyone in the NFL including Whaley.

Whaley was a bit of coup to bring in house. Whaley is looked at as one of the up and coming executives in the NFL. His mark was placed on the Bills 2011 draft.

If the organization's decision is lose Whaley or keep Nix. Nix actually will be retiring like the rumor mill is swirly.

Whaley spent years in Pittsburgh, so he is not clamoring for life in the big city. He just bought a nice house by Delaware Park. I don't think he is trying to leave. I think he knows the plan is for him to take over and he will live up to the plan. Nix isn't getting any younger and they probably already discussed the timeline for the transition.

"Indianapolis is a nice place to live?" That is the first time that has ever been said. It is called Napianapolis as in ZZzZZZZZ there is nothing to do but take a Nap.

But yes Whaley could take the bird in hand rather than a bird in the bush, but I'd be surprised if the Bills grant permission for an interview. They can't let Whaley go. It would be a death-nail type of brain drain, He would take his team with him and the Bills would essentially be rebuilding again.

I'd put my money he leaves in a heartbeat if The colts offer him the job before we do. He'd have 2 good qbs. One for trade bait the other to lead the team for 12 years. We have no trade bait, no qb, an owner that doesn't like to spend, a coaching staff that can't get the most of their personnel and the biggest playoff drought in the nfl. I doubt he would even have to call him back. He'd probably answer yes on the initial phone call.

Btw, napiapolas is nicer than Buffalo. Yep

haha; I know. Wish I could convince myself that Whaley should stay, but I can't.

Plus, he gets job security in Indy. If the Bills have another bad season next year, they could clean house, including Whaley.

I'm never clear on how reporters get a hold of the owners list of possible candidates but it is interesting that Whaley is included. He's unproven in the GM role both in his experience in Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

The 'word' is Nix is stepping down after the draft in April and Whaley will assume the GM role with the Bills. I don't know what the terms of his contract are with the Bills but I assume there's some kind of standard escape clause if you're offered a job at a higher level with another team. Given a succession plan is in place with the Bills I am also not clear what wrinkle that might introduce into the mix here.

This is clearly conjecture on my part at the moement but could this be a situation where the Bills could demand compensation for signing away their heir-apparent for the GM post? Like a #1 such as when Billichek bolted from the Jets to the Pats. So would you trade your new GM for Luck?

1325690566[/url]' post='2354364']

Stupid IMO. Trade the guy that has 1-3 years left for 3-4 picks. Might not be all 1st rd picks, but 2 1st rd and a couple mid round picks isn't too shabby and you wouldn't have to worry about getting another great qb in 1-3 years. It's not easy to land that franchise qb....look at us.

Isn't there a rule stating that one team cannot pursue an employee of another team unless they offer the employee a promotion? It has been reported that Buddy will retire after the draft and Whaley will be the GM. If true, Whaley is the de-facto GM of the Buffalo Bills and cannot be pilfered by Indi. (I think :unsure: )

If the organization's decision is lose Whaley or keep Nix. Nix actually will be retiring; like the rumor mill that is swirling is saying.

Whats the old cliche? " Money talks and something to do with a bull walks". The choice will be his. Would you stay for less money and a number 1 pick as well as being involved with the selection of a new head coach? Be honest.