What's The Point?

I've been a Bills fan for many years. Sadly, these last few years I've asked myself what the point is to get worked up about this team.

The NFL is such a QB driven league these days that you almost have to have a top-flight QB to have any real shot at winning a Superbowl. If we go with Fitz, it just doesn't seem like we have any real legitimate shot at the ultimate prize . . . so why go that route? This team will always be average (maybe slightly above or below) with Fitz. It just doesn't make sense in the ultimate sense.

I know the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs won Superbowls. But they had unbelievable defenses, and, maybe in the case of the Ravens, the best ever. BUT, even those championships were won in a different era. The game is very different now than even 8-10 yrs ago.

The Bills are treading water with Fitz. If they stick with him, for us fans it will be like the proverbial banging your head against the wall. They must at least try to find a top-flight QB. . . if they don't then what's the point?

I've been a Bills fan for many years. Sadly, these last few years I've asked myself what the point is to get worked up about this team.

The NFL is such a QB driven league these days that you almost have to have a top-flight QB to have any real shot at winning a Superbowl. If we go with Fitz, it just doesn't seem like we have any real legitimate shot at the ultimate prize . . . so why go that route? This team will always be average (maybe slightly above or below) with Fitz. It just doesn't make sense in the ultimate sense.

I know the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs won Superbowls. But they had unbelievable defenses, and, maybe in the case of the Ravens, the best ever. BUT, even those championships were won in a different era. The game is very different now than even 8-10 yrs ago.

The Bills are treading water with Fitz. If they stick with him, for us fans it will be like the proverbial banging your head against the wall. They must at least try to find a top-flight QB. . . if they don't then what's the point?

Amen.

The point is any year anything van happen. Qb driven league? Of course. But look at Alex smith leading his team after being labled a bust for so long. Look at sanchez going to the afc championship twice, who is hardly a top ten qb. Having a top ten qb is nice, but we don't need one to be successful. We might need one to win a superbowl, but us having a sucky team isnt because our qb isn't an elite guy. It is because we have a defense with no identity, lack of talent at reciever, zebras that play for the other team, sloppy drafting, terrible injuries, questionable playcalling, no pass rush, contract extensions that have become the kiss of death, no deep threat on offense, having our guard play 3 different positions on the oline, and then of course, you can throw having an average at best qb un there as well. But having a top qb isn't going to fix this team. Too many other issues.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

The point is any year anything van happen. Qb driven league? Of course. But look at Alex smith leading his team after being labled a bust for so long. Look at sanchez going to the afc championship twice, who is hardly a top ten qb. Having a top ten qb is nice, but we don't need one to be successful. We might need one to win a superbowl, but us having a sucky team isnt because our qb isn't an elite guy. It is because we have a defense with no identity, lack of talent at reciever, zebras that play for the other team, sloppy drafting, terrible injuries, questionable playcalling, no pass rush, contract extensions that have become the kiss of death, no deep threat on offense, having our guard play 3 different positions on the oline, and then of course, you can throw having an average at best qb un there as well. But having a top qb isn't going to fix this team. Too many other issues.

Beat me to it, But I do think a top QB would help a lot, the Colts and Pats being that example.

I'd say the first 2 Patriot SuperBowls, the Steelers, And Giants defenses would disagree with your assessments. While Brady was good he was hardly anywhere near what he is now. Big Ben was only a game manager in thier first SB and played well in thier second but the defense was beyond good. And the Giants D clearly held th Patriots high powered offense and drew the blueprint for beating Brady. Manning played a great game with some great WR play but the defense is what did it.

They must at least try to find a top-flight QB. . . if they don't then what's the point?

Please define that. They "tried" with Losman. They "tried" with Edwards. They "tried" with Fitz.

If they "try to find a top-flight QB" this time, who should they zero in on and at what pick? And, given the Bills drafting track record over the past 12 years, how much faith should anyone have that they will make the right choice? Whomever they draft at 10 must be an impact player our of the gate. No more 3 year plan of development like Maybins, McGahees, Losmans, & Spillers. So, which player and what position can you immediately plug in from day one? You make the call so we can have someone to praise or someone to admonish if the guy succeeds or fails.

I agree that the Bills made a big mistake with Losman. They should have traded up. I also believe that they shouldn't panic. I see progress with this team. I'm not sure why, but I am definitely tired of firing and hiring new coaches. I hate this constant rebuilding.

I would be very happy if the Bills draft a left tackle in this draft, let some of the young players develop, and draft a quarterback next year. This way the quarterback will have a decent team around him.

Sorry, sir, but this is the same "bass-ackward" thinking that made us miss the playoffs for so many years in a row.

The "any given year" mantra is what has kept us addicted to a loser franchise. When will you start to demand that we actually become a real NFL team again. Real NFL teams must have a real qb. They must. You cannot ignore it. It wont deliver you a superbowl overnight of course. But without one, as the OP said, "What's the Point?"

I don't understand how anyone can compare Ryan Fitzpatrick to Alex Smith or Joe Flacco. You can win in the NFL with mediocrity at the QB position, but only if you have what both of those guys have, which are elite defenses. Considering this Bills defense just broke franchise records for inept play, I don't think anyone without a kool-aid mustache can say we are on the verge of being elite on that side of the ball.

Please define that. They "tried" with Losman. They "tried" with Edwards. They "tried" with Fitz.

If they "try to find a top-flight QB" this time, who should they zero in on and at what pick? And, given the Bills drafting track record over the past 12 years, how much faith should anyone have that they will make the right choice? Whomever they draft at 10 must be an impact player our of the gate. No more 3 year plan of development like Maybins, McGahees, Losmans, & Spillers. So, which player and what position can you immediately plug in from day one? You make the call so we can have someone to praise or someone to admonish if the guy succeeds or fails.

Tom Donahoe made some mistakes as a GM but he knew you needed a QB to win in this league, which is why during his 5-year tenure, you saw him make 2 very aggressive moves to get franchise QB's. He traded a 1st round pick for a 30-year old Drew Bledsoe and traded a future first round pick to get J.P. Losman.

Yes, neither of those moves worked out, but taking Trent Edwards with a late pick in the 3rd round and signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup QB money as a free agent castoff from Cincinnati can hardly be considered trying to improve a position.

I'd say the first 2 Patriot SuperBowls, the Steelers, And Giants defenses would disagree with your assessments. While Brady was good he was hardly anywhere near what he is now. Big Ben was only a game manager in thier first SB and played well in thier second but the defense was beyond good. And the Giants D clearly held th Patriots high powered offense and drew the blueprint for beating Brady. Manning played a great game with some great WR play but the defense is what did it.

That would TOTALLY work with OUR defense. We shouldn't draft a QB until Fitz retires!

Yes, neither of those moves worked out, but taking Trent Edwards with a late pick in the 3rd round and signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup QB money as a free agent castoff from Cincinnati can hardly be considered trying to improve a position.

What superstar QB have the Bills passed on in the past 5 years when their pick came up? Quinn, Flacco, Cutler, Ponder, Gabbert, Leinart? Hey, they can have a second chance with two of those guys if they want. And, hey, Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell are chomping at the bit for a second chance.

The point is that even as bad as our team has been over the last decade or so, being a Bills fan is better than being a Dolphins fan, or a Jets fan, or a Patriots fan.

Ummmm... Made no sense... Except for the being a Dolphins fan part...

a top flight QB helps a lot. more than any one player elsewhere.

but you are right this team is such a colossal mess.--if a top qb is avaailable you gotta take him.

however,i say draft d linemen and LBs and an OT the next couple years.at least get some core strength

on this team.

Great point, you should just become a Jets fan. Later.

The GM of this team just stated in his presser that he thinks Fitz can get us to the big dance, he just needs more talent around him.

Like signing Stevie Johnson and still drafting another top WR,same with TE, OT or signing them in free agency. Don't you believe Nix when he says stuff like that?

Fitz is as good as, if not better then guys like Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith IMO. Give the man some better players around him, and some better play calls and I think he does much better.

Brad Smith was the #3 QB on the roster, and the #2 WR, rookie LT, 4th rounder starting. semi decent oft injured TE.... pulling guys off the street to play WR. Fitz needs some real help.

Despite how the season turned out, I think the Bills already have a QB they can win with. Maybe I'm just in denial, but when the Bills were on this season, they showed me that they're not far from being a playoff team.

For all the dings on Fitz and the Bills, Fitz was in the top 1/3 of the league in most categories including completion %, TDs, yards, sacks taken, and yes, INTs. And the Bills Offense was rated 14th in yards and points. So Fitz and the offense are not the reason we lost 10 games. It's the defense, stupid. Now that we've promoted Dave W, maybe our D will be better and we can get into the playoffs next year.

The point is that even as bad as our team has been over the last decade or so, being a Bills fan is better than being a Dolphins fan, or a Jets fan, or a Patriots fan.

sounds like the bills new marketing campaign is underway...which probably has little chance of working because there is only one NFL team that has not made the playoffs over the last decade or so...

I don't like when people use the 2002 Buccs as an example of not needing a QB. Yes, the Buccs had one of the all-time great defenses that season, but Brad Johnson played at a pro-bowl level for them that season. He was just as big of a reason for them winning the SB as the defense.

There are 4 top-flight qbs--brady, brees, rodgers, and p manning. All 4 will probably go to the HOF. Everyone else gets by with serviceable QBs, not unlike Fitz.

A serviceable QB to me needs to be considerably more accurate than Fitz is capable of.

But we will see.

Oh brother

Like who Flacco ?

No TJ Yates....

I don't like when people use the 2002 Buccs as an example of not needing a QB. Yes, the Buccs had one of the all-time great defenses that season, but Brad Johnson played at a pro-bowl level for them that season. He was just as big of a reason for them winning the SB as the defense.

True, but this changes the agurement of needing a perennially elite qb to you need a qb who can play at a prow bowl level for a season or two. Doug Flutie had a probowl year.