Buddy Nix to retire after 2012 draft?

Jdragon2

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both moves look like good ones but than again we have seen what we thought were good moves before. Lets see how the off season goes but as many have echoed not much will change till we have an owner committed to winning and spending unless of course we get a new owner that sticks wit the status quo GM and Coach as what Pegula has mistakenly done with the Sabres.

Why would I want him in charge of the draft if he plans on calling it a career right after their last pick. Keep him on to help scout players over the next 4 months, but NO WAY should he be the person deciding who the Bills should be selecting.

You mean how Butler drafted in 2000 knowing he was leaving?

Why would I want him in charge of the draft if he plans on calling it a career right after their last pick. Keep him on to help scout players over the next 4 months, but NO WAY should he be the person deciding who the Bills should be selecting.

Because after the draft is the end of the scouting year. Its not as if he's all of a sudden going to stop working. He has no axe to grind with Ralph.

Draft picks who are starting on bad football teams don't necessarily make them quality NFL starters. It may just mean there are no better alternatives. :rolleyes:

It does make them likely better than a lot of players prior Bills GM's have drafted who are not starting on ANY NFL team.

Besides which player(s) do you have a problem with as only being good enough for the Bills?... Dareus? Aaron Williams?? Justin Rodgers??

I am not sure if the Whaley thing is true.....and I actually still had faith in Nix.

But if it IS true I dont know why anyone would be complaining about it.....both moves seem like solid moves

- Dave W. Good defense EVERYWHERE he has been

- Whaley. A young sought after up and comer GM......are people upset because they wont be able to use the "sleeping in free agency" jokes?

Because after the draft is the end of the scouting year. Its not as if he's all of a sudden going to stop working. He has no axe to grind with Ralph.

I realize that, which is why I would keep him on to finish up the scouting and grading of players, but when it comes time to decide what players should be selected for the team going forward(which he will not be a part of), I'd rather have Whaley be the guys making the picks(That is, if this article is true).

this is probably all just a matter of appearance....whaley will be firmly in charge of the draft...just a ploy to make it look like we have more stability than we really do...plus I am sure Nix still has some pull with people around the league in terms of free agents

I realize that, which is why I would keep him on to finish up the scouting and grading of players, but when it comes time to decide what players should be selected for the team going forward(which he will not be a part of), I'd rather have Whaley be the guys making the picks(That is, if this article is true).

Are you sure? What if Ralph throws in a monkey wrench and hires Bill Polian. I think he still owns the team and calls the final shots. Buddy Nix may reside over the draft and that makes sense however as we all know anything can happen at One Bills Drive's front office. Stay tuned.

You know if we were hiring a new GM, a guy like Doug Whaley who came from a respected organization like the Steelers, would be considered a good hire. But I guess since he already works for the Bills he must be a piece of garbage, right?

PTR

Yes ! I think this is a sign of good succession planning where Whaley came 'early' to learn about the organization and its people and ways of working. Now that he is warmed up, Nix will be around for any help needed during the draft and then retire (to a place where naps are the norm and not some cheap target for juvenile fans)

I agree, that makes alot of sense. It may be the case that Nix will have handed the responsibilities over to Whaley by this point and have the GM title in name only while staying on through the draft as an advisor of some sort.