A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

I said this to my Brother today but Freddy getting hurt may have been a blessing in disguise. It allowed Chan to see what Spiller can do. After watching him live in 3 games, that kid is going to be special. He is extremely quick, lighting quick and he makes people miss. he is also a side step away from scoring. I hope Chan can find a way to use both of them next year

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cj Spiller can be a differense maker in an NFL game. CJ needed to gain confidence and needed to get his feet wet this year. CJ is showing signs that he is worth the # 9 pick in the draft. Not everyone can step on the field and become a superstar instantly in the NFL. I'm looking forward to seeing CJ grow and becoming a fine player in the NFL for the next 5 to 7 years!

Hopefully Chan will feed that ball to CJ more and more come next week. CJ can be a Patriot killer next week!

Running backs used to be a dime-a-dozen. Now they are two for a penny.

When you have a team that is otherwise lacking at so many key positions.........you shouldn't even consider drafting a RB with that high of a pick.

When CJ was selected the two leading rushers in the NFL were Chris Johnson and Steven Jackson. Both played for very bad teams. Adrian Peterson? How much of an impact does he make on wins and losses? The league is not built around RB's.

Forget the fact that CJ Spiller was the Bills 3rd first round pick at RB in 7 years(and that the other two weren't busts).......the fact is that CJ could run for 2,000 yards and the Bills could still finish 2-14 and when his rookie contract expires they would likely let him walk because EVERYONE KNOWS THAT RB'S ARE EASY TO REPLACE.

RB's are just icing on the cake. I love the big plays but we are dying for a winning franchise and the quality of RB play hasn't been a problem here since the brief period of time Jonathon Linton was the starting RB.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Running backs used to be a dime-a-dozen. Now they are two for a penny.

When you have a team that is otherwise lacking at so many key positions.........you shouldn't even consider drafting a RB with that high of a pick.

When CJ was selected the two leading rushers in the NFL were Chris Johnson and Steven Jackson. Both played for very bad teams. Adrian Peterson? How much of an impact does he make on wins and losses? The league is not built around RB's.

Forget the fact that CJ Spiller was the Bills 3rd first round pick at RB in 7 years(and that the other two weren't busts).......the fact is that CJ could run for 2,000 yards and the Bills could still finish 2-14 and when his rookie contract expires they would likely let him walk because EVERYONE KNOWS THAT RB'S ARE EASY TO REPLACE.

RB's are just icing on the cake. I love the big plays but we are dying for a winning franchise and the quality of RB play hasn't been a problem here since the brief period of time Jonathon Linton was the starting RB.

Thank you. Drafts are about building a winning team. They are not about whether or not a particular player is "good."

Apologist! What would you think of a team that knowingly let their "franchise Quarterback" play hurt in meaingless games?

Thank you. Drafts are about building a winning team. They are not about whether or not a particular player is "good."

Yeah, who needs to draft "good" players to build a winning team! Certainly, not the Bills.

Edited by kidprison

CJ Spiller has the potential to be a star IF... Gailey will let him play & stop passing 50 times a game & Give him the ball at the goal line & stop putting Choice who would be nobodies "choice" in that situation otherwise we would have scored 60 yesterday

This. We pass way too much. We are in the shotgun way too much. Run the !@#$ing ball Chan, you're making yourself look stubborn.

Yeah, who needs to draft "good" players to build a winning team! Certainly, not the Bills.

Obviously I am not doing a good job of making myself clear.

Of course we need good players, but a foundation needs to be built. How many games can a team win with great RBs and DBs, but no pass rush, and problems at OT and QB?

I'm afraid fitz arm is that weak. Once teams had a chance to study film and took away short and intermediate routes he's been exposed.

Joe_the_confusing_name_that's_near_identical_to_a_different_guy,

The piece you may be missing is the ability to set and step into his throws, which has partly to do with the pass protection. The line doesn't suck, but they aren't giving him the kind of time some of the other QB around the league obtain.

However, you have a good point about the film. The other part is that our play calling, IMO, has become far too predictable. Once teams got some film and some scouting, they're like "OK, this set, this down - this play, expect it."

This. We pass way too much. We are in the shotgun way too much. Run the !@#$ing ball Chan, you're making yourself look stubborn.

This.

6) Another probowl level game by Levitre. They need to rip up his contract and give him a new one.

Levitre isn't diva enough to hold out for a new one.

the inability to step into throws - Simms nailed it. It's not arm strength, he can't step into his throw with defensive lineman in the way. He's hasn't been sacked a lot but he is hit nearly every throw. Video points this out, and as Simms said when he can step into the throw you see what he can do (on a square in to Johnson)

That's why we need a QB with stronger arm because a QB still has to make those throws to be effective.

Joe_the_confusing_name_that's_near_identical_to_a_different_guy,

The piece you may be missing is the ability to set and step into his throws, which has partly to do with the pass protection. The line doesn't suck, but they aren't giving him the kind of time some of the other QB around the league obtain.

However, you have a good point about the film. The other part is that our play calling, IMO, has become far too predictable. Once teams got some film and some scouting, they're like "OK, this set, this down - this play, expect it."

This.

The perfect pocket with infinite time and space to throw is a myth. Look at last years super bowl QBs: Rodgers fires darts when scrambling out of the pocket on the run for his life, big Ben is notorious for making big throws downfield with bodies drape all over him.

the inability to step into throws - Simms nailed it. It's not arm strength, he can't step into his throw with defensive lineman in the way. He's hasn't been sacked a lot but he is hit nearly every throw. Video points this out, and as Simms said when he can step into the throw you see what he can do (on a square in to Johnson)

So basically what you are saying is the O line isn't allowing him the ability to step up in the pocket.

My take is it isn't allowing him to float in the pocket either, or take 5-7 drop back passes. Which is why they traded away Lee Evans. Because without the time in the pocket for the QB to throw deep, a deep receiver threat is almost useless in the short passing game. Unless of course you are trying to get a short passing game working and trying to draw the CB's up the field and away from the TE and slot WR. Plus if you do have a deep receiving threat like Lee Evans he can draw double coverage leaving the #2 WR singled up. Then there is always the chance that the CB doesn't bite on the go, you have a wide open speedy WR for a TD every time.

Building the line should be a priority this year, especially of almost basically ignoring the line the last two years.4th & 5th rounders that will need 3 years to develop just don't cut it. A speedy deep threat should also be at the top of the wish list.

Building the line should be a priority this year, especially of almost basically ignoring the line the last two years.4th & 5th rounders that will need 3 years to develop just don't cut it. A speedy deep threat should also be at the top of the wish list.

Pass rush is a must. We are fielding a 3/4 defense that has not one credible OLB. It's amazing that we won 6 games.

Fitz - been injured in the ribs since the big hit in week 6. Story will be out after the season.

Don't agree at all. First if a player misses a single practice by league rules and granted there is a lot of room to BS. It must be reported. I don't see him wearing any additional protection in the area of the supposed injury.Some players play injured the entire year. How bad could Fitz be hurt? Not much, and if he is the Bills would be insane to keep the 9 million dollar man in. Speaking of guys playing injured and still playing well I give you our very own FERGY. The guy just kept on ticking. There is no "story" coming out because if it did, it wouldn't look good for Fitz. Excuses like that are laughed at by players.Fitz is a gamer, not a kitty.

As for his lack of protection and throwing style this year. Two seconds is not much time. Hence, just one of the reasons for Gailey's college level spread. A good line will give a good Quarterback 3 to 4 seconds to drop back and wait for a deep play to develop. Our O line as heralded as they are cannot give this to Fitz. More telling is Fitz's accuracy on deep routes. It's scary bad. I cringe when he launches one with a 50/50 chance at best of a completion or worse an interception. it's possible for the reason above and not the bean counters that we let Evans go. The decoy game worked in 09, Like all things in the NFL opposing coaches worth their money catch on quick.

With Fitz behind center I don't see the value of a barn burner true #1 helping us with the O line (tackles ) and Fitzs putrid accuracy beyond 10 yards.

The perfect pocket with infinite time and space to throw is a myth. Look at last years super bowl QBs: Rodgers fires darts when scrambling out of the pocket on the run for his life, big Ben is notorious for making big throws downfield with bodies drape all over him.

Don't compare SB teams O line to the Buffalo Bills line. Do the Bills have any pro bowlers on their line?

The Packers have a pro bowl WR in Jennings, a Pro bowl LT in Chad Clifton. plus their receiver corps and O line is far superior to what Buffalo fields

The Steelers have a pro bowl C in Maurkice Pouncey, again their receiver corps is far superior to anything Buffalo fields Plus both teams have great tight ends which is key in helping a QB out of trouble.

Also lets not forget that two of the Bills O line were plucked off the waiver wire, two are always injured. one is a rookie

That's why we need a QB with stronger arm because a QB still has to make those throws to be effective.

It certainly would help. The people who think he has a strong enough arm see those spastic, often scattershot fastballs he can hurl and that is what they consider arm strength.

I don't care how far he can throw the ball, it is about how far he can throw the ball accurately. The best QB's can make the long throws with ease and under control......which leads to better accuracy.

That is where Fitz lacks. You get twenty yards downfield and it is a tossup whether he can hit a wide-open receiver or not. More time and room in the pocket would help but that still won't complete those deep outs consistently.

Fitz is a QB that gets the ball out early, yet doesn't settle for checkdown throws. That's good. But he also can't consistently convert throws that are routine for QB's with good throwing arms.

Let's assume that the Bills are on the ascent to becoming a contender......well then I would compare what he brings to the table to what Tommy Maddox did for Pittsburgh. He makes a very nice transitional QB who can conceivably lead a good team to the playoffs but consistent success will be elusive because he is inconsistent by nature due to physical limitations.

Clearly you don't watch the games. Bills opponent QBs have had perfect pockets and infinite time to throw 90% of the time this season.

GO BILLS!!!

11) I got a text during the game from a huge Packer fan. He said that Raymer cost them a playoff spot years ago. I believe him.

I did not understand why Lindell couldnt just kick FGs and have Raymer or Moorman kick off.

Pass rush is a must. We are fielding a 3/4 defense that has not one credible OLB. It's amazing that we won 6 games.

While I agree to a point. Jut look at what the Bills defense was able to do against Denver and those other 5 teams, they did get pressure, lots of turnovers. Now you could say those 6 teams were simply bad teams or they played a bad game. New England and 4 INT's of Brady?

Anyway, looking at this years draft is doesn't look like a top OLB will be there at 10 or under, makes more sense to draft a top WR or OT that should be there.