A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

It certainly would help. The people who think he has a strong enough arm see those spastic, often scattershot fastballs he can hurl and that is what they consider arm strength.

I don't care how far he can throw the ball, it is about how far he can throw the ball accurately. The best QB's can make the long throws with ease and under control......which leads to better accuracy.

That is where Fitz lacks. You get twenty yards downfield and it is a tossup whether he can hit a wide-open receiver or not. More time and room in the pocket would help but that still won't complete those deep outs consistently.

Fitz is a QB that gets the ball out early, yet doesn't settle for checkdown throws. That's good. But he also can't consistently convert throws that are routine for QB's with good throwing arms.

Let's assume that the Bills are on the ascent to becoming a contender......well then I would compare what he brings to the table to what Tommy Maddox did for Pittsburgh. He makes a very nice transitional QB who can conceivably lead a good team to the playoffs but consistent success will be elusive because he is inconsistent by nature due to physical limitations.

I fully agree with all of this. But may I ask.....do you think that he is hurting? I for one do. Again, I really do know that he lacks the desirable amount of arm strength in virtually all categories. But, I have never seen him with this little zip. He was struggling yesterday to make really simple throws, or so it seemed to me.

What I do like about Fitz is his mental and physical coordination. He doesn't look like an athlete, but he is one imo. But in Buffalo, one needs a bit of a gun, which he does clearly lack. Imagine him with the arm of RJ or JP!

This leads us to the draft, which sadly, I think is a done deal. It looks as if Ralph wants a wr. :( However, do you see any "franchise qbs" that will be available when we pick? You follow this more than I do. If there are none out there, I am about LBs in 2012. Upshaw reminds me of a perhaps even better Woodley. I think Hightower will go in round 1, and I like Nico Johnson more every time I watch him. Sheppard scares me. Imo Barnett is the only legit LB on this team. Not good, ya know?

I hope your Christmas was great! Please send my best wishes to your wife and the crew. I will be sending you a PM soon.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree to a point. Jut look at what the Bills defense was able to do against Denver and those other 5 teams, they did get pressure, lots of turnovers. Now you could say those 6 teams were simply bad teams or they played a bad game. New England and 4 INT's of Brady?

Anyway, looking at this years draft is doesn't look like a top OLB will be there at 10 or under, makes more sense to draft a top WR or OT that should be there.

One of the wins came against the Redskins, and their OL was decimated. And the Bengals game was disturbing. Their rookie qb is a good one, but we gave him all day and made him look great. There are other examples too.

And truthfully, a team like ours should never throw out the possibility of trading down. I would love to see them stockpile first and second round picks instead of trading them away for players such as McCargo, Losman and Poz.

All we have is hope, ya know? :thumbsup:

One of the wins came against the Redskins, and their OL was decimated. And the Bengals game was disturbing. Their rookie qb is a good one, but we gave him all day and made him look great. There are other examples too.

And truthfully, a team like ours should never throw out the possibility of trading down. I would love to see them stockpile first and second round picks instead of trading them away for players such as McCargo, Losman and Poz.

All we have is hope, ya know? :thumbsup:

I can be on board with this. Unless there's a great OT or guard available, I say they should trade down. I don't want another skill position player from the top 10 just because the "right" pass rusher isn't available.

Don't compare SB teams O line to the Buffalo Bills line. Do the Bills have any pro bowlers on their line?

The Packers have a pro bowl WR in Jennings, a Pro bowl LT in Chad Clifton. plus their receiver corps and O line is far superior to what Buffalo fields

The Steelers have a pro bowl C in Maurkice Pouncey, again their receiver corps is far superior to anything Buffalo fields Plus both teams have great tight ends which is key in helping a QB out of trouble.

Also lets not forget that two of the Bills O line were plucked off the waiver wire, two are always injured. one is a rookie

Offensive line IS NOT a strength of either of those teams. If anything they are the weakest units.

Offensive line IS NOT a strength of either of those teams. If anything they are the weakest units.

I don't believe that is what I said at all. What i stated was don't compare the Bills O line to super bowl teams O lines as the Bills don't currently have a pro bowler on the line in any position.

While the Packers and Steelers O lines aren't considered top lines, both are superior to the Buffalo Bills line, and both clubs have miss leading stats because of their particular QB's.

I don't believe that is what I said at all. What i stated was don't compare the Bills O line to super bowl teams O lines as the Bills don't currently have a pro bowler on the line in any position.

While the Packers and Steelers O lines aren't considered top lines, both are superior to the Buffalo Bills line, and both clubs have miss leading stats because of their particular QB's.

Woods was going to be, and LeVitre ought to. Bell was vastly improved, and Hairston has performed admirably for a rookie. No, you're not going to pin this one on the Oline.

Woods was going to be, and LeVitre ought to. Bell was vastly improved, and Hairston has performed admirably for a rookie. No, you're not going to pin this one on the Oline.

Pro bowl teams will be announced tonight at 7pm EST on NFL network. Wood can still make it as he was injured in week 19 and had 9 GS. Still, its a long way from shoulda-coulda-woulda. to making the pro bowl as a starter.

Bell isn't that bad at allowing sacks when he is healthy, 7 games, 6 GS, and he is currently on IR now after he came back and played one more game.

I just don't get why Bills fans fail to realize its been the O line for over a decade. This line has been like a turnstile for 10+ years with so many players coming and going.

2001 - Jonas Jennings-Jerry Ostroski-Corey Hulsey- Bill Conaty- Ruben Brown- John Fina

2002 - Mike D Williams- Marques Sullivan- Trey Teague

2003 - Ross Tucker - Mike Pucillo -

2004 - Chris Villarrial - Lawrence Smith

2005- Jason Peters- Benny Anderson- Mike Gandy

2006-Terrance Pennington- Melvin Fowler- Tutan Reyes

2007 Langston Walker- Brad Butler-Derrick Dockery

2008-Duke Preston

2009- Demetrius Bell- Jonathan Scott-Geoff Hangartner-Eric Wood -Kirk Chambers- Andy levitre

2010 Mansfield Wrotto- Cornell Green- Chris hairston- garrision Sanborn- Erik Pears-

2011 - Chad Rinehart- Keith Williams- Colin Brown

37 players...Those were all mostly starters at some point, I didn't feel like going thru each years roster to find every O linemen that had been with the Buffalo Bills since 2001 But I'm fairly certain it was far more then 37. Its like the line is rebuilt every few years because the team doesn't want to invest in top players

Just stop and think for a min. during the time Jim Kelly (11 years) was the QB of the Bills they basically had ONE LT in Will Wolford played 13 seasons, 7 with the Bills a #1 pick

ONE LG in Jim Richter, played 15 seasons 13 with the Bills, a #1 pick

ONE Center in Kent Hull, played 12 seasons, all of them as a Buffalo Bill, from USFL

Other starters on that line from 88-93, Howard Ballard- John H Davis- Glenn Parker- Joe Devlin-Tim Vogler. So for the playoff and SB runs this team managed 8 starters on that line. The Bills have had that many the last 2 years.

Pro bowl teams will be announced tonight at 7pm EST on NFL network. Wood can still make it as he was injured in week 19 and had 9 GS. Still, its a long way from shoulda-coulda-woulda. to making the pro bowl as a starter.

Bell isn't that bad at allowing sacks when he is healthy, 7 games, 6 GS, and he is currently on IR now after he came back and played one more game.

I just don't get why Bills fans fail to realize its been the O line for over a decade. This line has been like a turnstile for 10+ years with so many players coming and going.

2001 - Jonas Jennings-Jerry Ostroski-Corey Hulsey- Bill Conaty- Ruben Brown- John Fina

2008-Duke Preston

2009- Demetrius Bell- Jonathan Scott-Geoff Hangartner-Eric Wood -Kirk Chambers- Andy levitre

2010 Mansfield Wrotto- Cornell Green- Chris hairston- garrision Sanborn- Erik Pears-

37 players...Those were all mostly starters at some point, I didn't feel like going thru each years roster to find every O linemen that had been with the Buffalo Bills since 2001 But I'm fairly certain it was far more then 37. Its like the line is rebuilt every few years because the team doesn't want to invest in top players

Just stop and think for a min. during the time Jim Kelly (11 years) was the QB of the Bills they basically had ONE LT in Will Wolford played 13 seasons, 7 with the Bills a #1 pick

ONE Center in Kent Hull, played 12 seasons, all of them as a Buffalo Bill, from USFL

Other starters on that line from 88-93, Howard Ballard- John H Davis- Glenn Parker- Joe Devlin-Tim Vogler. So for the playoff and SB runs this team managed 8 starters on that line. The Bills have had that many the last 2 years.

Excellent point on the need for stability but remember there was no free agency for part of that era. Players stayed with their teams and took the pay that was offered. O-line especially.

Don't forget John Fina replacing Wilford. Mitch Ferrotte was a backup G/T. Joe Devlin (retirement) and Tim Vogler (injury) were gone before the first super bowl.

In addition to tied for fewest sacks, that same 2011line you're busting on was blocking for the leagues leading rusher until he went on IR. and even the under sized spiller is starting to gel behind them.

Have guys like you not been reading posts all year long? Fewest sacks stats are meaningless for the most part for certain teams, its all relative to the QB.

So many posters here just don't get it, and probably never will!

What does it say about an offensive line when two starters go out (LT& RT)and they still play well, this in itself would usually decimate a team. The Washington Redskins come to mind. Then the backup LT who is a rookie plays well, then he goes out and the guard moves over to LT and the line still plays well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fitz and Fred make that line look so much better then actually it is. Fitz has an uncanny ability to find the open receiver and deliver the ball to him in 3 seconds or under, so yea...he earned his payday!

QB

""The team that takes the shortest amount of time to throw is the Buffalo Bills. Fitzpatrick, also a top-10 quarterback according to Total QBR, has to get the ball out so quickly because Buffalo's offensive line is the second-worst in the league at allowing pass pressure within three seconds in the pocket.""

Just wanted to add this:

http://articles.nyda...cks-chris-canty

The NY Giants changed their style of defensive play just for Fitz.

""The Giants' pass rush won't necessarily surrender Sunday, but it will change tactics. Big Blue has piled up 11 sacks since Umenyiora's Week 4 return, but isn't likely to get many against Buffalo. On average, Fitzpatrick fires the ball just 1.5 seconds after taking the snap, Umenyiora said.

"On set plays," Umenyiora said, "nobody can get to him."

A great QB can make an average line look good, if you don't have a great QB...you had better have a damn good offensive line :D

http://forums.twobil...14&qpid=2299028

click those two links and read what others had to say about the O line and Bills QB. that line just isn't as good as the stats would have you believe.

OTOH this Bills team hasn't been that bad in run blocking when is dedicated to building a running attack. Spiller has had one 100 yard game, stats for 2011 , 15 games, 10 starts, 94 attempts 501 yards, 4 TD's and his real claim to fame is 7+ 20 yard runs. This kid might have produced much more had he been utilized more often in the running attack once Jackson went on IR.

19 for 55 against the Jets, longest 9 yrds

14 for 83 against Tenn, longest 35 yds

12 for 45 against SD,longest 16 yrds

12 for 91 against Miami, longest 24 yds

15 for 111 against Denver, longest 38 yards

The play calling has sucked for the most part because once the Bills got behind by as little as 7 points the run game was abandoned for nothing but shotgun pass plays. Against Denver with the lead Spiller was utilized more often and the result was a much better performance.

Excellent point on the need for stability but remember there was no free agency for part of that era. Players stayed with their teams and took the pay that was offered. O-line especially.

Don't forget John Fina replacing Wilford. Mitch Ferrotte was a backup G/T. Joe Devlin (retirement) and Tim Vogler (injury) were gone before the first super bowl.

Yea I know. Will Wolford was lost to the Colts in free agency.

My entire point was the team had players that played very down for years and years without serious year ending injuries. Back then Bill Polian was committed to build a proper O line with 2 key players, a top LT a top Center

This Bills team hasn't even tried to build the O line in the draft for a decade with the exception of a few players. Ruben Brown, Mike D Williams, Andy Levitre, Eric Wood. The team took an un-drafted walk on TE and converted him to a pro bowl LT in Jason Peters, and then traded him away.

This team took Mike Williams with the #4 overall and he is considered a huge bust by the Bills FO because he played only 4 years for Buffalo at RT when he was considered a top LT coming out of the draft. Since they took Williams they have been afraid to spend an early pick on the most critical key part of the line. Moving Wood to center was a very smart move and helped solidify that line greatly, the problem is he went on IR the last two years in a row.

This Bills team needs to make a serious commitment to the two key positions, LT & C. Then they need to hire another super smart S&C coach like they had in Rusty Jones to keep the Bills players off the IR and on the field. I don't think I've ever seen so many season ending injuries over the last few years under Jauron and now with all new coaches under Gailey.

Look back at those late 80's and early 90's teams under S&C coach Rusty Jones, they used to go down to Florida in the early part of the year and play in sweltering conditions. They would beat the Dolphins because they were better conditioned. I can recall that Bills no huddle making those Dolphin defenders gasp for air as they tried in vain to stop the Bills juggernaut offense.

Edited by Fear the Beard

I fully agree with all of this. But may I ask.....do you think that he is hurting? I for one do. Again, I really do know that he lacks the desirable amount of arm strength in virtually all categories.

Just my opinion, I think Fitz came into training camp with a lot more zip on his throws. He'd clearly pumped up during the off-season. But he still didn't look like a top QB - they aren't cut but when you look at their arms, it's all muscle and tendons.

I would like to see Fitzy take some of his money and invest in a top quality physical trainer to work with during the off-season and a top QB trainer to work on his mechanics, especially when he is throwing off-balance.

(Who does Rodgers work with? His throwing mechanics have clearly improved)

I had heard that Brady wasn't as strong when he came into the league and he worked his butt off to build the arm strength he needed. It can be done. Not saying Fitz could become Brady but he could become better.

The other thing is Fitz needs to figure out a program to stay stronger *during* the season. It has to be tough to get in the weight training between practices and meetings and resting dings, but somehow get it done.

2008-Duke Preston

Your point about the offensive line is 100% spot-on.

The Bills of the last 10 - 15 years have been like a house. The lack of an OL has been like a missing roof, causing everything to get rained on and wood to become warped. The fact the Bills haven't had a real quarterback since Kelly is like missing walls and a missing frame. The Bills' problems on defense have been like missing floors, missing stairways, and even a missing foundation. The Bills' problems in the front office have been like problems with the land itself. Perhaps the land consists of mud or quicksand, making it almost impossible to build or maintain anything. And the lack of commitment to winning--both on Ralph's part and on the part of some of his righthand men--is like having a series of liens on the deed to the house, as well as zoning rulings which make it very difficult to add in the missing pieces, or even to maintain that which has already been put in place.

I completely agree.

Gaileys been calling plays like a dope the past two months. He falls in love with the spread offense when Spiller averages 9 yards a pop.

I thought he called an excellent game against the Jets(2nd game) as Spiller wasn't doing much of anything on the ground, but he kept the Jets defense honest by continuing to give him the football...

The past two months have me thinking Gailey is no better then Skeletor or any of the other head coaches we've had this past decade.

So you think Gailey mysteriously lost his offensive marbles sometime during the middle of the season or can you imagine that he is severely hampered by the combination of a banged up O-Line, loss of his star RB and lack of receiving threats ?

Just my opinion, I think Fitz came into training camp with a lot more zip on his throws. He'd clearly pumped up during the off-season. But he still didn't look like a top QB - they aren't cut but when you look at their arms, it's all muscle and tendons.

I would like to see Fitzy take some of his money and invest in a top quality physical trainer to work with during the off-season and a top QB trainer to work on his mechanics, especially when he is throwing off-balance.

(Who does Rodgers work with? His throwing mechanics have clearly improved)

I had heard that Brady wasn't as strong when he came into the league and he worked his butt off to build the arm strength he needed. It can be done. Not saying Fitz could become Brady but he could become better.

The other thing is Fitz needs to figure out a program to stay stronger *during* the season. It has to be tough to get in the weight training between practices and meetings and resting dings, but somehow get it done.

He actually did do that last off season, one of th best guys in the country, hopefully he will again this offseason.

So you think Gailey mysteriously lost his offensive marbles sometime during the middle of the season or can you imagine that he is severely hampered by the combination of a banged up O-Line, loss of his star RB and lack of receiving threats ?

I had been a pretty staunch Gailey supporter but here's the problem I continue to have with him:

The Bills play in a blue collar town.

They play in a cold weather environment.

The quarterback has been beaten up just like last year when he didn't play the final two weeks.

The team has suffered numerous injuries in the receiving corps.

The team has suffered numerous injuries in the offensive line.

Offensive lines that are depleted are best served by running the ball… it's easier than pass pro and allows the unit to attack instead of being attacked.

In spite of all of this, Gailey has obstinately insisted on abandoning the run and relying on 4 and 5 wide receiver sets with an empty backfield.

He's a long time football coach and I'm only a guy who's watched 4 decades of NFL football but any fool can see that he's pass happy.

The Bills are 4th in the NFL with 4.8 yards per carry but only 11th in the league in rushing because they pass the ball too damn much.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I had been a pretty staunch Gailey supporter but here's the problem I continue to have with him:

The Bills play in a blue collar town.

They play in a cold weather environment.

The quarterback has been beaten up just like last year when he didn't play the final two weeks.

The team has suffered numerous injuries in the receiving corps.

The team has suffered numerous injuries in the offensive line.

Offensive lines that are depleted are best served by running the ball… it's easier than pass pro and allows the unit to attack instead of being attacked.

In spite of all of this, Gailey has obstinately insisted on abandoning the run and relying on 4 and 5 wide receiver sets with an empty backfield.

He's a long time football coach and I'm only a guy who's watched 4 decades of NFL football but any fool can see that he's pass happy.

The Bills are 4th in the NFL with 4.8 yards per carry but only 11th in the league in rushing because they pass the ball too damn much.

I think the cold weather stuff is very overrated. The Bills have played one game out of fifteen this year in inclement conditions (against Miami), and even then it wasn't that bad. It's pretty much the same every year: 13-14 games in temps of 45 degrees or above plus a couple in the 30s. Every couple of years, you get a Cleveland '08 game. (And lest we forget, Fitz had one of his better games--16-25 for 155 with 3 TDs and no INTs--in a blizzard against Indy in 09.)

Also, the NFL is a passing league. The Bills run it when they're ahead, but they've been down a lot of late. I don't fault them for shifting toward the pass - it's the only way you can catch up relatively quickly. It's also worth pointing out that the Bills' 11th place rank in rushing yards is their best performance since 1999, when they finished 8th. High rushing numbers generally correlate with a winning record - not because they lead to wins, but because teams with leads rush the ball late in games.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think the cold weather stuff is very overrated. The Bills have played one game out of fifteen this year in inclement conditions (against Miami), and even then it wasn't that bad. It's pretty much the same every year: 13-14 games in temps of 45 degrees or above plus a couple in the 30s. Every couple of years, you get a Cleveland '08 game. (And lest we forget, Fitz had one of his better games--16-25 for 155 with 3 TDs and no INTs--in a blizzard against Indy in 09.)

Also, the NFL is a passing league. The Bills run it when they're ahead, but they've been down a lot of late. I don't fault them for shifting toward the pass - it's the only way you can catch up relatively quickly. It's also worth pointing out that the Bills' 11th place rank in rushing yards is their best performance since 1999, when they finished 8th. High rushing numbers generally correlate with a winning record - not because they lead to wins, but because teams with leads rush the ball late in games.

I'll concede you the point about the weather and I debated including that.

But I left out the point about the Bills defense hemorrhaging points during the 7-game slide as another reason to not go pass happy.

To my point about Gailey being pass-happy, in the games against the Tennessee, San Diego and Miami, the Bills were running the ball effectively but apparently Gailey is from the school of if it works, do something else.

I believe that Spiller had 3 carries in the 2nd half of the San Diego game and 4 carries in the 2nd half against Miami.

Moreover, in those games, the score and time remaining did not dictate going exclusively to the pass until late in the games. Even in the blowout to San Diego, the Bills were behind only 16-10 in the 3rd quarter when Gailey pulled the plug on the running game.

Gailey abandoned the run prematurely in all 3 of those games, if you watched them closely.

This was during the period (hopefully ending with the win over Denver) in which the Bills could not pass the ball at all. Fitz was struggling badly. Receivers were not getting open and/or dropping the ball.

Teams were not honoring the run and Gailey would still have them in empty sets with 4-5 wideouts… on first downs… in the red zone.

If you watched the games Dave, I don't see how you could give Gailey a free pass (pardon the pun) for abandoning the run.

The indictment that Gailey has passed the ball too much is to me, one of the irrefutable criticisms of his coaching this season.

I'm surprised to find any dissent on this point.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'll concede you the point about the weather and I debated including that.

But I left out the point about the Bills defense hemorrhaging points during the 7-game slide as another reason to not go pass happy.

To my point about Gailey being pass-happy, in the games against the Tennessee, San Diego and Miami, the Bills were running the ball effectively but apparently Gailey is from the school of if it works, do something else.

I believe that Spiller had 3 carries in the 2nd half of the San Diego game and 4 carries in the 2nd half against Miami.

Moreover, in those games, the score and time remaining did not dictate going exclusively to the pass until late in the games. Even in the blowout to San Diego, the Bills were behind only 16-10 in the 3rd quarter when Gailey pulled the plug on the running game.

Gailey abandoned the run prematurely in all 3 of those games, if you watched them closely.

This was during the period (hopefully ending with the win over Denver) in which the Bills could not pass the ball at all. Fitz was struggling badly. Receivers were not getting open and/or dropping the ball.

Teams were not honoring the run and Gailey would still have them in empty sets with 4-5 wideouts… on first downs… in the red zone.

If you watched the games Dave, I don't see how you could give Gailey a free pass (pardon the pun) for abandoning the run.

The indictment that Gailey has passed the ball too much is to me, one of the irrefutable criticisms of his coaching this season.

I'm surprised to find any dissent on this point.

I agree with you about TN, but not the Chargers. That game got out of hand quickly. Yes, they made it to 16-10, but the next time they saw the ball it was 23-10. Then, almost immediately, a pick was returned for an INT and it was 30-10. That game was never in doubt.