Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

after two injury plagued, and lackluster seasons w/ STL, he was brought in to groom Eli. Well, he did well enough that Eli didn't see the field much. The Giants were in the hunt there. He then went to Arizona to do the same thing for Leinart. He wasn't meant to be the guy in Zona. Leinart was too much of a limp wristed nancy and Warner took over that team.

But but but he was franchise QB with a superbowl ring? He's in hall of fame discussions!

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this rib injury story was true, the Bills violated NFL policy by not disclosing it. The whole NFL policy in this area is designed to insure that this type of inside information is disclosed to all, and not "insider" type info that gamblers could use to gain an advantage. That's the entire purpose of those long injury reports that are ( probable, doubtful etc) done every week.

The Bills disclosed a "chest" injury to Fitzpatrick in their injury report the week following the Washington game.

Where do these ideas about "inside information disclosed to all" come from? Teams have no requirement to disclose medical specifics of an injury and no requirement to disclose injuries that don't keep a player from practicing or playing.

Any Dr. that would reveal details on the health of one of his patients should lose his license.

That said, I've wondered about this for a couple of weeks now. Fitz took a HUGE shot to the chest in that game and hasn't thrown the same since.

sounds like Trent Edwards syndrome

one big shot and he's done

the physical injury will heal but mentally incapacitated by fear of another hit

at least Fitz got his big payday before he was crippled for life

sounds like Trent Edwards syndrome

one big shot and he's done

the physical injury will heal but mentally incapacitated by fear of another hit

at least Fitz got his big payday before he was crippled for life

Why would you assume that? A lot of QBs take a big hit without getting rattled like Edwards. Whether or not he's got the talent to carry a team through the playoffs, you really can't question the guy's toughness.

Why would you assume that? A lot of QBs take a big hit without getting rattled like Edwards. Whether or not he's got the talent to carry a team through the playoffs, you really can't question the guy's toughness.

just his effectiveness

Trent was a tough guy too - just not a very good QB after being hit hard

just his effectiveness

Trent was a tough guy too - just not a very good QB after being hit hard

Fitz seemed to improve week to week about 3-4 weeks after the Washington game which is consistent with the broken rib theory, and if that's the case it would indicate the loss of effectiveness was a result of the physical injury rather than anything mental. Having had a broken rib, I can't even imagine playing a football game through it.

But but but he was franchise QB with a superbowl ring? He's in hall of fame discussions!

I'm not sure what your point is, and I'll leave the HOF discussion to those who enjoy stats more than I do.

For several years Warner was an incredible story. Rise from nowhere, SB winning QB. Martz let him get hit too much (sound familiar? He wasn't a fit with the Giants, but he had a nice run with AZ. He's one hell of a QB who's greatest attribute (IMO) was his ability to hit his receivers in stride. If your point was to disparage his accomplishments you need to pick a different scapegoat.

I'm not sure what your point is, and I'll leave the HOF discussion to those who enjoy stats more than I do.

For several years Warner was an incredible story. Rise from nowhere, SB winning QB. Martz let him get hit too much (sound familiar? He wasn't a fit with the Giants, but he had a nice run with AZ. He's one hell of a QB who's greatest attribute (IMO) was his ability to hit his receivers in stride. If your point was to disparage his accomplishments you need to pick a different scapegoat.

No my point is that before he got lucky and the starter went down in St Louis we might still not know who he was. He had years of terrible to no nfl performance to start his career. He had success and failure after he finally stuck in the national football league. The only things that changed were he was given a chance and at certain times he had the right talent, the right situation and right scheme working for him.

These people with blinders on like to point to Fitz past as being mediocre which it generally was. We did however see what he could do when the poor talent that we have to offer to put around was healthy. He was leading the league and so were Bills. His WRs started dropping like flies as did his offensive lineman and all of a sudden people forgot he was a MVP candidate and playing step for step with the best QBs in the league.

I'm really trying not to insult these people's intelligence but come on! They need to open their eyes. How can you ignore what this team was accomplishing and his role in it the first 3rd of this year? That is what he and this team can achieve WHEN IT IS HEALTHY. We are still just beginning our rebuilding and we don't have the depth much less the starting talent to keep the juggernaut rolling when key starters especially a lot of key starters at the same position go down.

They are so misguided that they would rather worry about replacing a probowl league leading QB through week 6 when the team was healthy instead of worrying about the 30th ranked defense in the league. I mean how dense are these people?

Edited by PDaDdy

I have a LOT OF RESPECT for Fitz! I have nothing but respect for him he is without question the best QB the Bills have had since maybe Bledsoe or Flutie. If he did indeed have broken ribs since the game in Toronto then I have even more respect for him. Sometimes you just have to go with the players that you have and learn to respect what they can do. I got to say though I have more confidence with Fitz as our starting QB to turn things around for this team than I had for Trent or JP. With another strong draft I think this team can make some noise for a playoff run next season.

If true, I have a whole new respect for him. I broke a rib in college (drunken idiocy). For several days, I wanted to die when I coughed, and sneezing was a pain I wouldn't wish on some of my enemies. They must have some space aged pain killers to make him be able to only miss one practice.

Please note, my new respect for him does not mean I think he should be a starting NFL QB with a $60MM contract.

http://blogs.buffalo...acked-ribs.html

Confirmed by David Nelson

contrast with SJ "I don't know why he played worse, maybe it was the contract, IDK".

Something is obviously going on - why would Nelson say it if it isn't true? Why would SJ not say it if it is true, he must know as much as Nelson...

On the other hand, Fitz looked a reporter straight in the eye at one point when asked if he had broken a rib and said "no". Was Fitzy quibbling (technically the diagnosis wasn't "broken" but "detached" or cracked breastbone or something else, so he could truthfully say "no" and still be hurt)?

Clearly Fitz didn't want it known he was injured, if he was, and maybe SJ is still respecting that while Nelson felt it was OK to "dish" now that the season is over.

If he did have cracked ribs or a similar injury it would explain why the coaching staff is willing to stay behind Fitz.

And we all know that NEVER happens.

Exactly. I think a lot of folks on here learned about HIPAA in some community college class and think that act is iron clad. Hell, every underpaid pee-on in medicine, including nurse practioners - hell, the secretary at your PCP's office as she has you SSN - are held to HIPAA guidelines. Doesnt mean they install a device in their face that literally prevents them from talking. They are..... wait for it..... human! GASP!

Goes to show the utter lack of trust in Thigpen by the coaching staff.

I sure hope they get somebody with some upside as a backup. Maybe a middle round draft pick. They clearly know they need to, both for the sake of having somebody who can play if Fitz get hurt, and also for the sake of grooming somebody to replace Fitz in the next year or two.