Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Chan Gailey concedes that a severe rib injury led to a three-game slump for Ryan Fitzpatrick at mid-season in 2011.

Fitzpatrick was sailing along with 6-of-7 games over 88.0 in passer rating before a three-game mid-season stretch of 52.0 or lower. At the time, Gailey wasn't aware of the severity of the injury, which was as bad as or even worse than the one that plagued Tony Romo earlier in the season. Fitzpatrick should bounce back with an improved TD:INT ratio in 2012. Mar 27 - 11:12 PM

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3240/ryan-fitzpatrick

I love Fitzmajic and i have high hope that with our new QB coach helping him and Chan giving in a little to the run game, a little B Smith ( because we can! ) opening the play book a pinch he will shine. Tough as hell and most of us already knew that by the way he ran and tryed blocks. Smart enough for sure.

But i will hold back my determination till we see this season unfold. I am rooting for him though. Go Bills!

Now, hold on, hold on.... what's up with this?

"At the time, Gailey wasn't aware of the severity of the injury"

Fitzpatrick is the QB. Gailey is the HC and de-facto OC. If he wasn't aware of the severity of the injury, shouldn't he have been?

OK, in Gailey's defense...I do know that chest xrays are said to miss up to 50% of fresh rib injuries, especially if the ribs are only cracked (for example Linky)

I guess I thought football players would get gold-carpet spare-no-expense medical treatment, which would include techniques more sensitive to detecting rib fractures (CT scan, ultrasound)

...but maybe not, or maybe depends upon the player and how deeply he wants to delve into the injury?

Now, hold on, hold on.... what's up with this?

"At the time, Gailey wasn't aware of the severity of the injury"

Fitzpatrick is the QB. Gailey is the HC and de-facto OC. If he wasn't aware of the severity of the injury, shouldn't he have been?

OK, in Gailey's defense...I do know that chest xrays are said to miss up to 50% of fresh rib injuries, especially if the ribs are only cracked (for example Linky)

I guess I thought football players would get gold-carpet spare-no-expense medical treatment, which would include techniques more sensitive to detecting rib fractures (CT scan, ultrasound)

...but maybe not, or maybe depends upon the player and how deeply he wants to delve into the injury?

Or, it sounds better than "we lied on injury reports and interviews"

Edited by NoSaint

Or, it sounds better than "we lied on injury reports and interviews"

How did they (the Bills) lie?

I've said this before, evidently it needs repeating:

NFL teams are required to report any injury that causes a player to miss practice and might cause him to miss a game.

They're not required to provide specifics of the injury. A "chest" injury can be anything from a flail chest with a punctured lung, to a bruise.

The Bills reported Fitz as "DNP" or "LP" due to "Chest" injury for 1-2 practices following the Washington game.

That's the extent of their obligation.

Fitz, on the other hand, did point-blank lie in an interview. When asked if he had, or had had at any point in the season, a broken rib, he clearly responded "no".

He might view it as prevarication or technically correct since a "cracked" rib isn't "broken" and he had 4 not one, but it quacks so I'll call it a duck. He lied.

He may have lied from the most understandable motives - who wants DL and LB punching you in the ribs at the bottom of a pile, in the hope they can hit a vulnerable spot?

Or, the honorable motive of not wanting to blame injury for a bad performance. But he lied, nonetheless.

How did they (the Bills) lie?

I've said this before, evidently it needs repeating:

NFL teams are required to report any injury that causes a player to miss practice and might cause him to miss a game.

They're not required to provide specifics of the injury. A "chest" injury can be anything from a flail chest with a punctured lung, to a bruise.

The Bills reported Fitz as "DNP" or "LP" due to "Chest" injury for 1-2 practices following the Washington game.

That's the extent of their obligation.

Fitz, on the other hand, did point-blank lie in an interview. When asked if he had, or had had at any point in the season, a broken rib, he clearly responded "no".

He might view it as prevarication or technically correct since a "cracked" rib isn't "broken" and he had 4 not one, but it quacks so I'll call it a duck. He lied.

He may have lied from the most understandable motives - who wants DL and LB punching you in the ribs at the bottom of a pile, in the hope they can hit a vulnerable spot?

Or, the honorable motive of not wanting to blame injury for a bad performance. But he lied, nonetheless.

Fair enough. I may have spoken too broadly but you get the gist of what I was saying pretty clearly.