Fitz Has Possibly Had A Broken Rib Since Toronto?

LOL, BS you can hardly breath with cracked ribs. Fitz was probably on a lot of pain medicine which I'm sure effected his decision making process on the field.

Cracked rib would be painful, no doubt. But there is no chance he was on narcotics while playing. He no doubt had nerve blocks (injections) before each game.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting development, as there was never a shred of validation on the rumor during the year. I look for the buffalo media to jump in on this now. If true they have an excuse for fitz's garbage play v Dallas and nyj... but also owed in an explaination how they are going to fix the apparent lack of a viable back up qb.

Well, my takeaway from this cracked rib business is, if true, I'm very much looking forward to next season.

Fitz was lighting it up with the best QBs in the league before the injury in his first season as full-time starter WITH a holdout-shortened offseason. There was a glimmer of hope there for even the most jaded fans.

Another decent draft, avoid the injury bug, and who knows what next season has in store? I know I'm looking forward to it! Let's Go Buffalo!

(But first let's all enjoy watching Brady get whipped like a rented mule tonight. Hopefully.)

Edited by jimmyo

Cracked rib would be painful, no doubt. But there is no chance he was on narcotics while playing. He no doubt had nerve blocks (injections) before each game.

Yep, intercostal nerve blocks. And even though the pain is gone while the local lasts, he'd still be concerned about further injury. So while it's good to learn that there was a physical problem with him, the question is whether he can get the mental part back.

This is an interesting development, as there was never a shred of validation on the rumor during the year. I look for the buffalo media to jump in on this now. If true they have an excuse for fitz's garbage play v Dallas and nyj... but also owed in an explaination how they are going to fix the apparent lack of a viable back up qb.

I posted many times during the season that I thought he was injured, but you are correct, there was no proof. Hopefully he will be a better qb this year.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Since there was no validation, the explanation is that the Bills didn't want to divulge it, which could potentially open them up for a fine, maybe the loss of a draft pick. The Bills should be less worried about the Buffalo media (who have picked-up on it and are corroborating it, or at least not finding anything to disprove it) and more about the NFL FO.

As for a backup QB, Thigpen, like all FA's, couldn't start practicing with the team until a week of training camp has passed. Given the lack of minicamp, OTA's, and missing the first week, they likely didn't think Thigpen had enough grasp of the offense and/or comfort with the players to put him in as the starter, especially given the injuries to the O-line and WR's. What matters more is how Fitz and Thigpen look next year.

Sources tell the Buffalo News that Ryan Fitzpatrick's midseason injury in 2011 included four cracked ribs and an injured sternum.

It sounds pretty severe, but Fitzpatrick insists the injury had no effect on his performance. "My only reaction would be, I don't really want to comment at all," Fitzpatrick said. "I don't think injuries had any effect on the way I played this year, at any point. I don't want to get into it." The Bills are tentatively expected to pay Fitzpatrick's $5 million option bonus on March 19.

Per rotoworld

Sources tell the Buffalo News that Ryan Fitzpatrick's midseason injury in 2011 included four cracked ribs and an injured sternum.

It sounds pretty severe, but Fitzpatrick insists the injury had no effect on his performance. "My only reaction would be, I don't really want to comment at all," Fitzpatrick said. "I don't think injuries had any effect on the way I played this year, at any point. I don't want to get into it." The Bills are tentatively expected to pay Fitzpatrick's $5 million option bonus on March 19.

Per rotoworld

Good catch! Here's the full article: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2012/02/fitz.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Fbuffalonews%2Fbillboard+%28BillBoard%29

And this part:

INDIANAPOLIS -- I caught up with Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick by phone this morning and Fitz seemed a bit dismayed to know David Nelson had spilled the beans about him playing with cracked ribs this season.

Oops on Nelson! Glad to finally see it confirmed and that Fitz isn't using it as an excuse, although everyone knows it is.

It always seemed odd to me that teams have to list player injuries. Seems like your tipping the other team off as to where to target a guy. Is there a good reason for requiring this?

Don't teams only have to list a players injury if the player misses a single practice? otherwise its not required.

Yeah! Unless you want to win a super bowl of course ... But if not, then shut up and worship average!

Who's saying anything about worshipping the guy? Can one not acknowledge he is the best we've got, he is the best we've had in years, and that he is at least functional enough to allow them to build and evaluate the team going forward? Does said acknowledgment immediate cast one as a fanboy? Give me a break. Worse players have QB'd playoff teams, and better ones have never won the big one.

Save the histrionics for the next losing streak or unsatisfactory draft pick. Fitz is not the problem. I'd rather see this team build on what it has, than do what it's clear you'd like to see, i.e. the sacking of everyone who "sucks" and a very unlikely miracle turnaround in one season with a completely new front office, coach and QB that satisfies you.

I hope that this is the reason F$tzmoney played so bad and not because he had a great first 4 games and returned to his normal every year self. Because if not, the bills gave him a lot of money. But it is the Bills and status quo is the only thing you can count on year in and year out. Pay a QB lots of money to choke.

I hope that this is the reason F$tzmoney played so bad and not because he had a great first 4 games and returned to his normal every year self. Because if not, the bills gave him a lot of money. But it is the Bills and status quo is the only thing you can count on year in and year out. Pay a QB lots of money to choke.

Don't you think it's a lot more likely that cracked ribs would cause a guy to force throws, be less accurate, make more tentative throws, and get rid of the ball too early, as opposed to some nebulous contract-status bogeyman? Intangible causes like this are of course difficult to argue, but you could argue by the same token that a guy is forcing things when he is playing for a contract.

I'm not saying this perspective has zero merit. I'm just saying that if you were to choose cases between a serious upper-body injury or an unquantifiable mental block affecting Fitz's play, the former seems to be a lot more rational of an explanation.

Here's your explanation:

"We have struggled to find a viable STARTING QB for more than a decade. We are ecstatic that we now have a starter. If we are very lucky, we might find a decent backup (something few teams in the league actually have)".

Edited by Matthews' Bag