A Few Thoughts About The Game

Let's not pull a Maybin re: Spiller and send him packing out of town...only to see some other team get all kinds of mileage out of him. I hate that Freddie got hurt but it's a blessing for CJ to see if he can play if given many touches. I agree that goes down when his shoelaces are swiped, way too easily but he seems to be learning what it takes to run in the NFL.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop. He dropped a crucial pass and went down if an opponent sneezed. Be serious please.

Bill,

I really enjoy your posts, but Spiller had a nice game today, the long TD called back on the hold was technically a hold, however it is too bad those rules do not apply to Buffalo defenders when runner get the edge on them??? WTF

Speaking of critcal drops, how do you feel about #13; albiet he was a 7th round pick; do you pay a guy #1 WR money considering how often well thrown balls clank off his hands; not to mention I never see him "just get the ball" like other top WR do for their team and QB. Spiller had a nice game today Bill; I wish he was given a few more chances in the 2nd half.

Edited by grog

Cj was just fine today. Sure, he wasn't perfect, but he did have 2 would be tds. The hold on beast was bs. He blocked finnegan, who turned around mid block and deceived the ref. Bad call. I wouldn't mind upshaw. I'd still prefer barkley or rg3. I'm over fitz. Decent qb. Not the answer. Not even close. Urbik is a beast, sign him up. Pears is a low tier starter, preferred backup, agreed. We need a LT, cb, wrs, qb, 2 olbs. Other than that, we need lots of depth. We're a long ways away. FO sho

The fact that you can't even give Spiller any props when he actually has a good game basically discredits any and all of your opinions on him. He's nothing more than your latest axe to grind.

+1

I'm a regular reader of Bill's posts, and have usually thought them to be interesting and insightful, but the fact that he can't let go on Spiller, and is taking out a decade of questionable drafts on him is a little like watching Fox News. Entertaining, but not really fair or balanced. At least we got an upgrade from last week's conditional 7th. The guy isn't CJ2K, but he is a talented football player who I am glad to have on this team with Freddie great but getting older, and anybody who touches the ball 25+ times a game is an injury candidate as we see.

I'm disappointed that this team now has four weeks left to only dream of 9-7, and can't even pretend on keeping a playoff miracle alive.

I think Edwards should be fired NOW so that Wanny can get settled in and we can make our 4-3 adjustment final ahead of time, evaluate people more clearly in those roles, and figure out the DE/LB needs we have for this off season. That said, the defense came up big in the second half, and it was our O that let us down.

I agree that Pears is a backup tackle. Right now we are Bell and Hairston as our tackles, which is passable at best, and I would love to see someone better than them added to the roster. Bell's injury however and his slow recovery has put Hairston ahead of him, so it looks like it will be Bell who sits if he ever gets healthy, and that's a shame because Bell+Hairston > Hairston+Pears.

Now the Bills roll into San Diego next week, for a game I was excited to go see when both teams were 4-1, and I'm not sure if I will bother to go or not.

1) On the failed 4th down attempt at the end of the 1st Qtr., Fitz got punched in the head. It was as clear as a bell. The Bills not getting a call like this is a concern wrt the integrity of the league imo.

2) News Flash: Erik Pears is a so-so, backup level RT. Yes, I am going there. Taking this a step further, he will never be able to cover at LT in case of injury. He is a plodding, slow blocker. Hairston is much more suited to play RT on this football team than is Pears. In another thread, a particularly sickening "consensus demander" calls the Bills OL top 5. Posts like this are worse, FAR worse than those of pom-pom wavers, but this is just my opinion.

3) Let's get to Spiller, shall we? His game stats were good, right? Sure. Well, imo he sucked. He dropped at least 1 crucial pass, and he went down upon any contact at all. He even fumbled his toucdown. The fact that our football team wasted a #9 on him will hold us back for many years. Sorry, it's true.

4) Who are #83 and #85? And why were they catching passes just short of first downs?

5) The Bills should sign Urbik to a long term deal. My hunch is that they could, but they are too stupid to do so. :thumbdown:

6) Davis Nelson seemed to get his act back today. Good, because I do like this kid.

7) Sheppard was God awful in the first half, but not so bad in the second half. If he clicks, this will be very good for our football team.

8) "Now what's to be found, by racing around?

You carry your pain wherever you go.

Full of blues, and tryin' to lose.

You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know."

9) Did you see Fitz console the receiver who dropped his perfect pass at the end of the 3rd qtr.? Yes, Fitz is an easy person to like.

10) On a personal note, my daughter Amanda (who I implore to sign in) got me a Bills tree ornament as a Christmas present. It consists of 3 Bufflalo Bills celebrating. Which 3? Whitner, Evans and Lynch. :doh: My baby is an Ivy League/Law School grad. Amanda, I love you and I miss you every day. And I am NOT sorry that you are a Bills fan. It made you stronger and more loyal. Don't give up my sweet honey, ok?

11) I have been just a bit loathe to jump on George Edwards. Those days are gone. He is starting Spencer Johnson, a worthless player, over Moats. And the truth is, Gailey should see this and know better.

12) People, we need COURTNEY UPSHAW!!!!! I'm not gonna let go. Sorry.

13) Bills Fans are the best fans of any team in any sport. I am proud to be in this community. :thumbsup:

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) It always bothers me when bogus penalties are called, while genuine rules infractions are ignored. While I didn't personally see the game, the play you described sounds like a clear case of the latter.

2) It's possible that the Bills' OL of the future should have a first or second round draft pick at LT and Hairston at RT.

3) Again, I didn't see the game, so I don't want to argue with someone who did. That being the case, my impression is that Spiller did some things well and other things badly. The dropped pass is a concern, as was the fumble in the end zone. But you don't typically get that high a rushing average without doing some things well. If the Bills had to do that draft over again would I have them take Spiller at 9th overall? Absolutely not! But I do see some potential in him.

7) Glad to hear about Shepherd.

9) I too like Fitz as a person, and wish that all football players were like him. I wish I believed that he was, or could develop into, a franchise quarterback. Unfortunately, I dont believe that, and I also don't believe the Bills will win a Super Bowl as long as he's the starting QB. :(

10) "My daughter Amanda (who I implore to sign in) got me a Bills tree ornament as a Christmas present. It consists of 3 Bufflalo Bills celebrating. Which 3? Whitner, Evans and Lynch." Hopefully you have a good sense of humor about this! Of all the people on these boards who might have received such an ornament . . . and from your own daughter no less! :o

As you proudly hang the ornament on the most visible portion of your tree, think about how Christmas can be a time to celebrate the 13th overall pick used on Evans, the 8th overall pick used on Whitner, and the 12th overall pick used on Lynch! It's also a time to be thankful for the GMs who chose such productive and wonderful players with their early picks. :P

11) Agreed on George Edwards

13) I agree that Buffalo has a very good fan base! :thumbsup:

10) On a personal note, my daughter Amanda (who I implore to sign in) got me a Bills tree ornament as a Christmas present. It consists of 3 Bufflalo Bills celebrating. Which 3? Whitner, Evans and Lynch. :doh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spiller looked decent today. He had some decent runs and good pass protection. He may develop into a good change of pace back.

This sums it up..."he'll develop into a good change of pace back..." - YOU DONT TAKE this in the top 10!!!! Especially when your team sucks.

4) why were they catching passes just short of first downs?

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was my biggest bugaboo about the game today. They are always running routes short of the 1st down marker. IF we need 5 yards, run 7 to 8 yard routes. And in the 4th qtr, last drive of the game. Why are no WR's running down the sidelines? All the routes are in the center of the field. That is stupid and on Gailey.

My other bugaboo, we give up 3rd and anything at all times. They almost gave up 3rd and 20, they made 18 yards. Ar you kidding me. This defense blows dead goats.

This was my biggest bugaboo about the game today. They are always running routes short of the 1st down marker. IF we need 5 yards, run 7 to 8 yard routes. And in the 4th qtr, last drive of the game. Why are no WR's running down the sidelines? All the routes are in the center of the field. That is stupid and on Gailey..

Can anyone in attendance at today's game attest to this?

3) Let's get to Spiller, shall we? His game stats were good, right? Sure. Well, imo he sucked. He dropped at least 1 crucial pass, and he went down upon any contact at all. He even fumbled his toucdown. The fact that our football team wasted a #9 on him will hold us back for many years. Sorry, it's true.

He's only starting to show us something. Give him a game or two to settle down. If he puts together a string like this, I'll buy what you're drinking.

4) Who are #83 and #85? And why were they catching passes just short of first downs?

Matt Caussin and Lee Smith (both TE). They were probably scared that if they fought for the first down, 5 Titans would hold them up and rend them limb for limb until they discharged the ball (the reason Chandler went to the sidelines). I for one am happy to see more TE

9) Did you see Fitz console the receiver who dropped his perfect pass at the end of the 3rd qtr.? Yes, Fitz is an easy person to like.

That was Naaman Roosevelt I think though it says something that I'm not quite sure which play you're talking about. I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, an arrogant SOB turns teammates off. On the other hand, a little fear of going back to the huddle empty-handed can be inspirational, I'm told. I wonder if Fitz's true flaw is being too easy-going and nice with his 'mates. On the third hand, that is what coaches are said to be for.

I'm all for a fine LB but can we please re-sign Stevie AND draft a top-quality WR?

It's just laughable at this point. We should have won these past two games, just keep shooting ourselves in the feet. Last week, penalties, botched kicks, blown 3rd and long, dropped passes. This week...TD called back (which was a point swing), fumbles everytime we got something going. I'm not gonna blame Fitz, I thought apart from a few throws - one pretty bad overthrow - his play could have got us a W. More drops, like usual.

I would love to just win 1 more this year...yet I have little faith.

Let's not pull a Maybin re: Spiller and send him packing out of town...only to see some other team get all kinds of mileage out of him. I hate that Freddie got hurt but it's a blessing for CJ to see if he can play if given many touches. I agree that goes down when his shoelaces are swiped, way too easily but he seems to be learning what it takes to run in the NFL.

Agree completely. Some people learn best by getting thrown in the fire then circling back and filling in the blanks. Let's see if CJ is one of those people.

This sums it up..."he'll develop into a good change of pace back..." - YOU DONT TAKE this in the top 10!!!! Especially when your team sucks.

This is true, but what would you like to do about it? It is done. Yesterday was his best day as a pro and I think that another coach (Payton comes immediately to mind) would be getting much more from him.

Hated the pick then, still hate the pick now, don't hate the player.

The only difference I saw yesterday between Spiller and Chris Johnson (other than the fumble) was that Spiller was also being asked to run routes as a WR. Other than that, they look like very similar players to me. For all the complaining about Spiller not breaking tackles - how many tackles does Chris Johnson break? Not many. They're not that kind of player. But they're both explosive as hell. Spiller looked decisive yesterday, and like a difference-maker. The fumble bothered me, but for a second year player starting his second game, it's not surprising. The "drop" did not bother me. Again, he's a running back.

OTOH, I'm starting to really question whether Gailey knows how to use his players. Yes he can design a neat-looking spread offense that works fine in nice weather and with healthy WRs, but can he adjust his offense to the talent at hand? Can he change his playcalling to fit the situation? It's 3rd and 3 with 4 minutes left, down by 2 TDs, and they're running 2 yard curls? After burning 28 seconds just to come up with that stupid playcall? Are you freaking kidding me?

The only difference I saw yesterday between Spiller and Chris Johnson (other than the fumble) was that Spiller was also being asked to run routes as a WR. Other than that, they look like very similar players to me. For all the complaining about Spiller not breaking tackles - how many tackles does Chris Johnson break? Not many. They're not that kind of player. But they're both explosive as hell. Spiller looked decisive yesterday, and like a difference-maker. The fumble bothered me, but for a second year player starting his second game, it's not surprising. The "drop" did not bother me. Again, he's a running back.

OTOH, I'm starting to really question whether Gailey knows how to use his players. Yes he can design a neat-looking spread offense that works fine in nice weather and with healthy WRs, but can he adjust his offense to the talent at hand? Can he change his playcalling to fit the situation? It's 3rd and 3 with 4 minutes left, down by 2 TDs, and they're running 2 yard curls? After burning 28 seconds just to come up with that stupid playcall? Are you freaking kidding me?

I get the feeling that Chan Gailey just doesn't have the drive and dedication needed for today's NFL head coaching job. Too many mistakes are being made by this team to keep pinning it on the players.

Before the game the commentator said that the Titans whole deal on defense is to strip the ball from the ball carrier, yet the Bills players seemed completely surprised by this tactic. As if no one even told them that the Titans main goal is to rip the ball away from you.

I don't know if it's fair, but 4 out of these last 5 games it's looked as if this team is being coached by a part time coaching staff. My hope is that Gailey retires at the end of the season and Perry Fewell is brought back in as our head coach.

Edited by 1billsfan

Having had time to cool off and read my anger fueled post, I am going to say that I was too tough on Spiller.

I probably use him a bit too much as an outlet for my frustration. BUT, when I saw him make a good play and the ball was flying around the endzone, that set me off early. :oops: The crucial drop didn't help.

I will lower my expectations. He doesn't need to be Marshall Faulk to contribute, and he didn't draft himself at number 9. I do hope that he can produce for us because the truth is, we need him to, and could have used big plays from him even before Freddie got hurt.

PS: I DID miss FJ yesterday, and came away with a new appreciation of how fast he can get through creases.

PS: I DID miss FJ yesterday, and came away with a new appreciation of how fast he can get through creases.

Believe me, the rest of the team missed FJ too. Thanks for coming back and revisiting your Spiller review. You got class.

PIcking amidst the wreckage of another flaming season, I do see bright spots:

-Spiller finally breaking a couple plays. It was nice to see, and he has absolutely no responsibility for the marginal penalty call that brought his 2nd TD back. He seems to be seeing and ack'ing mistakes like the way he carried the ball. Let's see if he grows. Likewise Chandler.

-Smith developing as a contributor, even if it's as a wideout

-Hairston (mostly) playing well

-Our team sucking it up after 3 total beat-downs and at least playing competitively. I know that's not winning, but at least it's watchable football.

It speaks volumes, of course, when long-time fans see "watchable football" as a positive thing.

It speaks volumes, of course, when long-time fans see "watchable football" as a positive thing.

Yeah, I watched til the bitter end, even on the ****ty internet feed.

Which reminds me, people better start buying tickets pretty damn quick for the remaining home games! ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey