A Few Thoughts About The Game

I get the feeling that Chan Gailey just doesn't have the drive and dedication needed for today's NFL head coaching job. Too many mistakes are being made by this team to keep pinning it on the players.

Before the game the commentator said that the Titans whole deal on defense is to strip the ball from the ball carrier, yet the Bills players seemed completely surprised by this tactic. As if no one even told them that the Titans main goal is to rip the ball away from you.

I don't know if it's fair, but 4 out of these last 5 games it's looked as if this team is being coached by a part time coaching staff. My hope is that Gailey retires at the end of the season and Perry Fewell is brought back in as our head coach.

I had the exact same thought - I began wondering yesterday if Gailey might retire at the end of the season. I wouldn't really blame him, he hasn't exactly been supported by ownership. Wouldn't shock me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the exact same thought - I began wondering yesterday if Gailey might retire at the end of the season. I wouldn't really blame him, he hasn't exactly been supported by ownership. Wouldn't shock me.

I understand that ownership sucks...but Ralph wasn't doing the play calling in the second half.

Gailey had a nice two year run here, but if his heart isn't in this young man's 24/7 job then I really hope he retires and we get an enthusiastic young guy like Fewell in here.

I understand that ownership sucks...but Ralph wasn't doing the play calling in the second half.

Gailey had a nice two year run here, but if his heart isn't in this young man's 24/7 job then I really hope he retires and we get an enthusiastic young guy like Fewell in here.

Do you want to see more of the Jauron Tampa-2. The Giants have the best group of DEs in the league, and they aren't doing much.

Do you want to see more of the Jauron Tampa-2. The Giants have the best group of DEs in the league, and they aren't doing much.

This team looks as if it's suffering from both injuries and an all around poor quality of coaching. I want a head coach in here that will put in the time and go the extra mile in terms of ironing out the fundamental and foundational issues that seem to plague this team. The defensive scheme doesn't matter when you're a head coach, Mike Tomlin was a Tampa 2 guy who was hired by a non-Tampa 2 team because he was a great fit for the Steelers organizational mentality.

Just for the record, the Browns' defense is ranked 8th in the NFL despite having the 28th ranked offense. Their DC seems to be doing a good job there. :thumbsup:

And Bill, I do enjoy your thoughts but you hold more grudges than a teenage girl. Spiller was picked 9th and it happened 3 years ago. He arguably had his best game as a pro and it still wasn't good enough? Come on man.

This team looks as if it's suffering from both injuries and an all around poor quality of coaching. I want a head coach in here that will put in the time and go the extra mile in terms of ironing out the fundamental and foundational issues that seem to plague this team. The defensive scheme doesn't matter when you're a head coach, Mike Tomlin was a Tampa 2 guy who was hired by a non-Tampa 2 team because he was a great fit for the Steelers organizational mentality.

It is one thing to want a HC like that, and quite another to find one. And even if you found one, would he accept the position on the Bills?

Unfortunately I do not have an answer for this problem.

It is one thing to want a HC like that, and quite another to find one. And even if you found one, would he accept the position on the Bills?

Unfortunately I do not have an answer for this problem.

I don't either. I just want a guy who has that spark of excitement like Jim Harbaugh gave the 49ers. Would that be Perry Fewell? I don't know, but his enthusiasm was contagious. He has a lot of energy and he did a good job as our interim head coach. I was hoping he'd be the permanent hire. I'm sure there are other guys out there like that, but I really believe that these players today just don't respond to old school, cerebral coaching.

I don't either. I just want a guy who has that spark of excitement like Jim Harbaugh gave the 49ers. Would that be Perry Fewell? I don't know, but his enthusiasm was contagious. He has a lot of energy and he did a good job as our interim head coach. I was hoping he'd be the permanent hire. I'm sure there are other guys out there like that, but I really believe that these players today just don't respond to old school, cerebral coaching.

How about Rob Ryan? Wouldn't THAT make Bills-Jets more fun!

I actually gotta give CJ some props on his play in this game......the problem with CJ is he just isnt clutch....and in no way replaces Freddie Jackson to me. Lets hope the front office is smart enough to give Freddie that extension.

I disagree on Pears abilites....but the fact is he was a very good linemen for us for a while but his play is starting to fall off.....and I mean quickly. Its frustrating because I dont want Hairston to have to move to RT he is gonna be a pretty darn good LT for us.......

How about Rob Ryan? Wouldn't THAT make Bills-Jets more fun!

I like Rob's energy, I'm just not sure he's head coaching material because of his wild personality type. Also, I'm inclined to think that Rob would not coach Buffalo so long as his brother Rex is coaching the Jets.

Whoever's after Gailey, I just want a guy who's younger than 50, energetic and enthusiastic. I'm tired of watching these retread, cerebral head coaches with that dazed "being a head coach is hard" look on their faces.

I have lost all faith in Chan Gailey being the answer. Going from 5-2 to 5-7 tells me this nose dive 0-5 streak is mainly a head coaching issue. Today I was wondering who'd I'd rather have as coach, Wade Phillips or Chan Gailey. I was like, of course Wade Phillps! Then it hit me, when you'd rather have Wade Phillips over your current head coach...you might need a new head coach.

font="Arial Black"][/font]

Having had time to cool off and read my anger fueled post, I am going to say that I was too tough on Spiller.

I probably use him a bit too much as an outlet for my frustration. BUT, when I saw him make a good play and the ball was flying around the endzone, that set me off early. :oops: The crucial drop didn't help.

I will lower my expectations. He doesn't need to be Marshall Faulk to contribute, and he didn't draft himself at number 9. I do hope that he can produce for us because the truth is, we need him to, and could have used big plays from him even before Freddie got hurt.

PS: I DID miss FJ yesterday, and came away with a new appreciation of how fast he can get through creases.

If you want to be fair-minded about Spiller's performance yesterday it would be acknowledged that CJ was our only playmaker in that game. He had two long TD runs, one of which was nullified by a questionable holding penalty. If you want to focus on the draft in the year Spiller was taken place more attention on Troup and Carrington. Troup was taken higher than most scouts predicted and Carrington has been an invisible player who doesn't get much playing time on a horrible defense.

I'm not saying anything new and anything you aren't aware of in making the claim that the failure of the team doesn't stem from the players but from the second-rate caliber of the organization. Until Ralph and his trusted advisors, Littman and Oberdorf, leave the scene the same cycle of wretched mediocrity will repeat itself.

Edited by JohnC

I actually gotta give CJ some props on his play in this game......the problem with CJ is he just isnt clutch....and in no way replaces Freddie Jackson to me. Lets hope the front office is smart enough to give Freddie that extension.

I disagree on Pears abilites....but the fact is he was a very good linemen for us for a while but his play is starting to fall off.....and I mean quickly. Its frustrating because I dont want Hairston to have to move to RT he is gonna be a pretty darn good LT for us.......

Neither is Stevie Johnson, but everyone wants him to be paid as a #1 WR

I was there and it is not accurate. Final drive the Titans had NINE guys in coverage, and everything was funneled into the middle.

Basically, what almost any team will do when leading a game with less then 2 minutes left and an offence with no timeouts. Keep the plays to the middle of the field, let them get short yardage, but keep big plays from happening and from getting to the endzone

I like Rob's energy, I'm just not sure he's head coaching material because of his wild personality type. Also, I'm inclined to think that Rob would not coach Buffalo so long as his brother Rex is coaching the Jets.

Whoever's after Gailey, I just want a guy who's younger than 50, energetic and enthusiastic. I'm tired of watching these retread, cerebral head coaches with that dazed "being a head coach is hard" look on their faces.

I have lost all faith in Chan Gailey being the answer. Going from 5-2 to 5-7 tells me this nose dive 0-5 streak is mainly a head coaching issue. Today I was wondering who'd I'd rather have as coach, Wade Phillips or Chan Gailey. I was like, of course Wade Phillps! Then it hit me, when you'd rather have Wade Phillips over your current head coach...you might need a new head coach.

Does this mean that he was a great coach last year, because he basically did the exact opposite thing, starting out winless and going on a hot streak to end the season

Neither is Stevie Johnson, but everyone wants him to be paid as a #1 WR

Basically, what almost any team will do when leading a game with less then 2 minutes left and an offence with no timeouts. Keep the plays to the middle of the field, let them get short yardage, but keep big plays from happening and from getting to the endzone

Does this mean that he was a great coach last year, because he basically did the exact opposite thing, starting out winless and going on a hot streak to end the season

Injuries/incompetent front office/ etc.etc.etc. Reality seams like instead of coaching to win it's now coach so as not to lose. Result of that

LOSING

Excellent point.

The Bills need a new defensive coordinator. If the fan base can see this, I'm sure Perry Fewell can see it too. The problem, as you pointed out, is that his preferred Tampa 2 style isn't very good, except under just the right circumstances. Circumstances which will not occur in Buffalo!

If Gailey is fired, the Bills would lose their offensive play caller. Meaning that any new head coach would have to bring in a new offensive coordinator. If Gailey is fired, whoever his replacement turns out to be will need to be able to find good coordinators for both offense and defense!

That being said, I don't think Gailey deserves to be fired. I just want to see him upgrade the Bills' defensive coordinator after the season is over.

That "Spark of excitement" = players executing and generally playing well against the NFC West. Besideswhich, the comparison between Harbaugh and Fewell is completely bonkers. What in God's name makes you think that a Tampa 2 defensive coach who was Jauron's understudy has anything to do with a guy who played QB in the league, had actually been a head coach for something other than an interim period prior to his hiring, and is generally regarded as a solid offensive coach?

Lots of yelling and excitement? Is that all it's going to take? Jesus, I do that every Sunday. Hire me, I come cheap and passionate.

That "Spark of excitement" = players executing and generally playing well against the NFC West. Besideswhich, the comparison between Harbaugh and Fewell is completely bonkers. What in God's name makes you think that a Tampa 2 defensive coach who was Jauron's understudy has anything to do with a guy who played QB in the league, had actually been a head coach for something other than an interim period prior to his hiring, and is generally regarded as a solid offensive coach?

Lots of yelling and excitement? Is that all it's going to take? Jesus, I do that every Sunday. Hire me, I come cheap and passionate.

Fewell went from DC of a bad defence (atleast thats what everyone complained about all the time here) to interim Head Coach (I thought he did a good job though in his time here as Iterm HC and wouldn't have had a problem if they gave him a shot to keep the title) back to DC of a defence that some are saying could finally cost the HC his job in NY. Harbaugh went from NFL QB, to College HC (not sure what co-ordiantor positions he may have had inbetween), to highly sought after NFL HC (so much that some teams **cough-Dolphins-cough** were ready to fire their current HC just to get him)