Friendly reminder: there is a game this week…

Seeing as most of our energy has been spent performing the autopsy on the Stevie Johnson controversy, it seems Thursday has snuck up on us with nary a mention of our upcoming game.

While we all realize that our playoff hopes are very faint, nearly one-third of our season still remains and much of how the Bills play in these last 5 weeks will color our view on how successful this season was and what, if anything was accomplished. The Bills can trend up or down, or continue being the .500 team they've been since the midpoint of last year.

The Bills play at home for the first time in nearly one month. Their opponents, the Tennessee Titans are sitting at 6-5, and considered one of the up-and-coming teams in the league. While it seems many Bills fans have thrown in the towel, the games still have to be played.

It seems to me that this is a good measuring stick for the Bills… another young, rebuilding team which seems headed in the right direction. Also, this game will be a barometer for what the morale is in the Bills locker room. Realistically they know they won't make the playoffs. Will they play hard? Will they build on the positives which came out of the Jets game?

Does anyone care about this game?

Any interesting story lines?

Anyone living in Tennessee have any insights into the Titans and what kind of team they are?

Predictions?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

The Flaming Thumbtacks are having a yo-yo season.

Ten 14 Jax 16

Bal 13 Ten 26

Den 14 Ten 17

Ten 31 Cle 13

Ten 17 Pit 38

Bye

Hou 41 Ten 7 (nice showing after their bye and a home game no less - go Thumbtacks!)

Ind 10Ten 27

Cin 24 Ten 17

Ten 30 Car 3

Ten 17 Atl 23

TamB 17 Ten 23

They're 2-3 on the road. The Bills are 4-1 at home.

They just won and are now on the road.

Bills win.

I really don't have a clue where this team (Bills) is right now. I put a lot of stock in Wood, K.Williams, F-Jax & Merriman flourishing this season while providing great locker room karma & leadership. -Oops, dammit!

I'm pleasantly surprized by Barnett, Levitre & Chandler and very optimistic about the rooks Dareus, Shep & A.Williams. Equally, I'm concerned about Fitz, Spiller & the WR core. Chan is the best O-mind we've had since Teddy Marchibroda, but he's now terribly handicapped by a lack of talent.

Our 1st & 2nd down defense is pretty solid (yeah, I said it) but we have virtually no one who can rush the passer. What I don't know is whether it's a talent or scheme liability, but it certainly doesn't bode well for us the rest of the way with Tenn, SD, Denver & NE at or near a playoff spot -to say nothing of the Dolphins who rolled us!

I think it's important that the team strive to perform at it's best -as we've seen throughout the Channix era, but losing through an overall lack of talent is bound to wear them down.

I anticipated a drubbing last week, yet they played a spirited game and could have deservedly won it.

So, I don't have any idea where this team is...:wacko:

I really don't have a clue where this team (Bills) is right now. I put a lot of stock in Wood, K.Williams, F-Jax & Merriman flourishing this season while providing great locker room karma & leadership. -Oops, dammit!

I'm pleasantly surprized by Barnett, Levitre & Chandler and very optimistic about the rooks Dareus, Shep & A.Williams. Equally, I'm concerned about Fitz, Spiller & the WR core. Chan is the best O-mind we've had since Teddy Marchibroda, but he's now terribly handicapped by a lack of talent.

Our 1st & 2nd down defense is pretty solid (yeah, I said it) but we have virtually no one who can rush the passer. What I don't know is whether it's a talent or scheme liability, but it certainly doesn't bode well for us the rest of the way with Tenn, SD, Denver & NE at or near a playoff spot -to say nothing of the Dolphins who rolled us!

I think it's important that the team strive to perform at it's best -as we've seen throughout the Channix era, but losing through an overall lack of talent is bound to wear them down.

I anticipated a drubbing last week, yet they played a spirited game and could have deservedly won it.

So, I don't have any idea where this team is...:wacko:

Yep. Don't know if the Bad Bills or the Good Bills show up this week.

I expect the Bills to play another spirited game and at the very least be in this one to the end. I think all the injuries will be put behind them and the team will focus on doing what they have to do. The young players will see that this is their chance to get better and make a point.

I think the young secondary will make fewer mistakes. The offense will pick up where it left off last week and move the ball. Spiller will play better than he did against the Jets (and I don't think he played poorly).

If they could somehow come up with a pass rush I'd feel pretty good about them heading into these last five games. But at this point I don't see how they are going to get any heat on the opposing QB. They just don't have the horses for it. The other question is whether they can stop the run, which they have been extremely inconsistent in doing--though I think they are more likely to firm up the run defense than get to the QB.

i like the fact that it is december and the game does have playoff implications, no matter how faint. as we all suffered thru the past decade and more, at least the game has a purpose unlike most december games. i look forward to it. the season is flying by and i enjoy football.

The Bills play at home for the first time in nearly one month. Their opponents, the Tennessee Titans are sitting at 6-5, and considered one of the up-and-coming teams in the league. While it seems many Bills fans have thrown in the towel, the games still have to be played. (....) Predictions?

Tennessee is 7th in the league in pts per game allowed defensively. (Interestingly, Miami is 6th in this category). They are much lower (17th in the league) in yds per game and even worse in TOP on defense (29th). That paints the picture of a somewhat opportunistic defense, that will allow opponents to convert 3rd downs (41%, 24th in the league) and hang onto the ball, but those yards don't that often lead to scoring. They are +3 in turnovers, so they're good but not great (even after all the recent INTs, we're +4). I haven't found the stats but I suspect they get tough in the redzone and hold opponents

First keys to the game:

1) Don't be dumb. Hang on to the football, don't hand it over

2) Red zone performance - go for the Gusto, don't settle for 3

The teams that have beaten Tennessee soundly have very strong defense both in terms of points allowed and YPG - Jax, Pitts, Texans.

That doesn't sound good for us, as defensively, we're in the shitter.

Notable exceptions: the Ravens got sent down by Tenn. in the 2nd game of the season, and Atlanta beat Tenn. while being ho-hum on D.

It would be interesting to talk to someone who saw the Atlanta game and learn what worked for the Falcons.

Offensively, the Titans are middle-of-the-pack to lower third in the league - except in sacks allowed, where they're near the top. They seem to have a better passing game than running game.

Hasselbeck is a steady 'ol vet. He's not typically gonna light it up, but he's not gonna fluster easily or make dumb throws. We have helped a number of quarterbacks who are at or below Hasselbeck's level look like probowlers - Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell, Matt Moore.

Second keys to the game:

3) Defense - show up. Pwn the receivers early with hard hits. Keep them one dimensional (not a strong running team, keep it that way). Play above your team stats.

Frankly, I think this is a game we can win - but I feel like the Bills are bipolar right now, and it all depends which team shows up, the one that beat NE and creamed Washington?

Or the one that got blown out by Dallas and Miami?

Tennessee is 7th in the league in pts per game allowed defensively. (Interestingly, Miami is 6th in this category). They are much lower (17th in the league) in yds per game and even worse in TOP on defense (29th). That paints the picture of a somewhat opportunistic defense, that will allow opponents to convert 3rd downs (41%, 24th in the league) and hang onto the ball, but those yards don't that often lead to scoring. They are +3 in turnovers, so they're good but not great (even after all the recent INTs, we're +4). I haven't found the stats but I suspect they get tough in the redzone and hold opponents

First keys to the game:

1) Don't be dumb. Hang on to the football, don't hand it over

2) Red zone performance - go for the Gusto, don't settle for 3

The teams that have beaten Tennessee soundly have very strong defense both in terms of points allowed and YPG - Jax, Pitts, Texans.

That doesn't sound good for us, as defensively, we're in the shitter.

Notable exceptions: the Ravens got sent down by Tenn. in the 2nd game of the season, and Atlanta beat Tenn. while being ho-hum on D.

It would be interesting to talk to someone who saw the Atlanta game and learn what worked for the Falcons.

Offensively, the Titans are middle-of-the-pack to lower third in the league - except in sacks allowed, where they're near the top. They seem to have a better passing game than running game.

Hasselbeck is a steady 'ol vet. He's not typically gonna light it up, but he's not gonna fluster easily or make dumb throws. We have helped a number of quarterbacks who are at or below Hasselbeck's level look like probowlers - Andy Dalton, Jason Campbell, Matt Moore.

Second keys to the game:

3) Defense - show up. Pwn the receivers early with hard hits. Keep them one dimensional (not a strong running team, keep it that way). Play above your team stats.

Frankly, I think this is a game we can win - but I feel like the Bills are bipolar right now, and it all depends which team shows up, the one that beat NE and creamed Washington?

Or the one that got blown out by Dallas and Miami?

Thanks for a very good post. We struggle- heavily, I might add- against quality defensive teams, and tend to stand a chance in shootouts. Chris Johnson may or may not be getting his game back together; he rushed for 190 yards last week, and if he plays well, I don't expect good things. Let's see how the rookies come out to play, as our games the rest of this season will depend on their (understandably) unpredictable play. I expect the Bills to lose, probably 20-14. That being said, I care as much about a win at this stage of the season as I do seeing players like C.J., Carrington, Moats, and the rookies have productive games the rest of the season.

In spite of all the injuries on offense, I feel last week's game was more of what we should expect in the last 5 weeks.

Because of the departure of Lee Evans and the losses of Easley, Parrish, Donald Jones, and Naaman Roosevelt, Brad Smith practiced extensively at wide receiver the last two weeks for the first time in his career.

Fitz was saying how he really started improving in practice and how they are developing some real good chemistry. Because they want to keep Nelson in the slot, Brad Smith is now a starting wideout. If you look at his combine numbers, he's a freakish athlete… his times in both shuttles, 3-cone drill, vertical, etc were all better than Adrian Peterson's except for their 40 times… point being that Smith has the athleticism to develop into an excellent wideout. It's ironic that his greatest contribution to the Bills might be at a position where no one anticipated it to be. Fantasy football-wise I would take a flyer on Smith as a possible upside roster filler. He had 4 for 77 and the 36 yard TD on 7 targets. It wouldn't surprise me if that became a fairly routine stat line the rest of the way. But I digress.

I think the offense in spite of the injuries has gotten out of the doldrums and I think they'll put up enough points to win. My worry in this game is that Hasselbeck has been playing very well and Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak have that O-line playing very well. Chris Johnson is starting to peak, they protect the QB well, AND the Titans lead the NFL in red zone offense (TDs on 70% of their red zone trips).

As mentioned upthread, the Bills D has made numerous QBs look better than they are this year so I'm very concerned that the Bills won't be able to slow down the Titans at all.

One thing in our favor is the home field. Often young teams like the Titans (and Bills) don't travel well.

I think both teams will move the ball and hopefully we come out on top.

if the defense continues to be turnstiles up front and on the edges, this team will not win another game. The offense, while holding it's own given the mounting injuries just cannot keep pace like they did earlier in the season, so it comes down to how many drives they can actually stop in this game. I don't have a lot of confidence they can stop Tennessee if Chris Johnson gets past the line, which he will more than likely do on most of his touches.

Ralph Wilson makes the long trip from Detroit to Orchard Park, just to flip off Bud Adams from the owners' box...

Buffalo Bills 57

Nashville Nincompoops 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

"I expect to win." - Chan Gailey

Edited by The Senator

Ralph Wilson makes the long trip from Detroit to Orchard Park, just to flip off Bud Adams from the owners' box...

Buffalo Bills 57

Nashville Nincompoops 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHuUGG_2c

Ouch!

Standing above the Frank Wycheck placard.

That !@#$!

Both of 'em.

Buffalo Bills 57

Nashville Nincompoops 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

14 and 6 baby!!!!! B-)

youtube.com/watch?v=FTxHuUGG_2c

That would be cool, so long as we win the game. Or better yet, one up him - MOON

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

I will be going to the game but for me, it feels like the pre-season.Can't see too much emotion coming out of this one (win or lose). The Jets tapped me out and when that ball was dropped, the air came out all together. All I would like to see is Fitz continue to get better so at least the season has some meaning left...

Ouch!

Standing above the Frank Wycheck placard.

That !@#$!

Both of 'em.

Well at least Adams got fined by Goodell for his transgressions

I hope folks remember that it was the Bills and Bills fans that Adams was flippin'

Bud Adams fined for obscene gesture to Bills fans

Bud Adams apologizes, fined $250,000 for obscene gesture to Bills fans