Nix may be the biggest problem

IronyAbounds

Top 5 excuses why a Bills player isn't playing well.

5. He just needs more time to learn the game.

4. He's not playing his natural position.

3. Rookie wall.

2. He needs more touches.

1. (My favorite) All the players around him are bad.

Rebuttal:

5. Go learn somewhere else and when you finally figure it out maybe will spend some money in FA on you.

4. If he was playing his natural position well enough he would beat out the player ahead of him and would be playing his natural position.

3. Take an ice bath and a nap and suck it up.

2. If he didn't suck with the plays that he was given maybe he would play more.

1. Maybe if said player would elevate his game maybe the other players around him would too?

:worthy:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evaluation YEAR???? :huh:

A YEAR to evaluate the talent?...I know that can't be exactly what you meant...But I'm kinda hoping Coaches and FO types who have been around football their entire lives don't need a full year to know what they've got...

Would it help if I said 1st SEASON instead of yr?!?!? I think you get the point. If not the read my post again, but SLOOOWWWLYYY this time. Don't hurt yourself though! If you read it, you will see I didn't mean 365 DAYS. Geez!! Point being, oh never mind! Waste of time. Happy Holidays!!! :D

The last two drafts have not yielded much talent. Dareus is a stud, but the 3rd pick would have been tough to mess up. Otherwise, Nix has not brought in much talent at all. Merriman was a terrible mistake. Smith was idiotic. He does get some props for Barnett, but otherwise the Bills are both thin and not terribly talented. There is a reason Nix didn't get a GM job until he hit 70. With the AFC being so mediocre this year the Bills would have had a shot if Nix had done a halfway decent job.

We live in a time of instant gratification & if you read this blog long enough you can tell that immediately !! This year has been a good year , we have better talent , better people in management positions (Doug Whaley got rid of Modrak) & you still :censored: !!

Nix & Gailey have both said we are not very deep as a team & HELLO we are in the 2nd year of these people being in charge TAKE A FREAKIN BREAK WOULD YA !!!!!

I'll bet when Merriman made those 2 or 3 sacks in the preseason game against Chicago you weren't saying it was a mistake & up until the time him & Williams got hurt the D wasn't doing all that bad but after 3 loses LET'S FIRE EVERY BODY THERE AIN'T ONE OF THEM WORTH A FLIP .

You would think being a FOR REAL Bills fan as long as i have been i would be use to this but this kind of fan support SUCKS !! :bag:

And you call your self a Bills fan ??????????????? :doh:

No pass rush for a decade, no run defense for a decade. So far the Nix drafts have done nothing to improve either area, although it looks like Dareus will be a part of fixing the run D eventually. If the Bills don't draft a DE next year, we will be looking at the same problem.

Still shocked nobody is calling out that O-Line!

I've been doing that since I started posting in this forum!

History has shown that when the Buffalo Bills build a great O line they start winning and don't stop until they dismantle the line.

OJ Simpson had the "Electric Co"...a great bunch of O line players to block for the first NFL RB to rush for over 2000 yards

Chuck Knox drafted a guard #1 that stayed with the Bills 14 years, and played 16 years in the NFL, plus Knox inherited and utilized some of those electric co guys!

Bill Polian drafted Will Wolford a #1 left tackle and found center Kent Hull from the USFL, both players along with Jim Richter was with them all those glory years in the late 80's early 90's

Bottom line: until the Bills get their proverbial heads outta their backsides and draft some top O tackles who can play a full year and not sit out 1/2 the year with injuries, draft some top O line talent for depth and starters, this team will never win long term and make the playoffs

P S fans in this forum were criticizing the SF 49ers for wasting 2 first round picks on O linemen 2 years ago. now look at what those 49ers have accomplished in building a top power running game along with a former washed out top QB.

History has shown that when the Buffalo Bills build a great O line they start winning and don't stop until they dismantle the line.

OJ Simpson had the "Electric Co"...a great bunch of O line players to block for the first NFL RB to rush for over 2000 yards

Chuck Knox drafted a guard #1 that stayed with the Bills 14 years, and played 16 years in the NFL, plus Knox inherited and utilized some of those electric co guys!

Bill Polian drafted Will Wolford a #1 left tackle and found center Kent Hull from the USFL, both players along with Jim Richter was with them all those glory years in the late 80's early 90's

Bottom line: until the Bills get their proverbial heads outta their backsides and draft some top O tackles who can play a full year and not sit out 1/2 the year with injuries, draft some top O line talent for depth and starters, this team will never win long term and make the playoffs

P S fans in this forum were criticizing the SF 49ers for wasting 2 first round picks on O linemen 2 years ago. now look at what those 49ers have accomplished in building a top power running game along with a former washed out top QB.

Are you saying the Bills should have drafted a stud offensive lineman instead of CJ Spiller? How dare you spread this blasphemy! The Bills passed on Bryan Bulaga and Mike Iupati because they know better. Here's an interesting link. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/analyst-bills-rb-cj-spiller-going-to-be-one-of-the-impact-players-in-nfl-draft-class/1

In all fairness, Buddy Nix had company.

In all fairness to Spiller, he has been mishandled and coached badly. He can hardly show his talent if he gets only one or two touches per game. If Spiller were getting 20 touches per game all season and failed to produce then you can call him a failure. I would hesitate to give up on him just yet. Maybe the next coach and next GM will use him wisely.

Simple.Build from the inside out.All the good franchises do that.

Yes we need CBs and WRS...but it would be crazy for us to spend

our top 2 or 3 picks there.Hopefully we have learned our lesson.

Wood,Levitre,Dareus...we should have had 4-6 more of those type guys on

the roster by now.

I'm not clear on whether or not Nix is a good GM but he's probably a good GM relative to the funds Ralph's bean counters budgeted for the GM's salary. Look around the league at the top front office talent and ask yourself if the Bills are ever going to be willing to pony-up the millions to pay the going rate?

We've got a minor-league level front office budget mandated by ownership's finance guys (and signed off by the owner) and that's the way its been since day 1. It's not going to change. We're just going to have to rely on luck (hiring Polian and Levy on the cheap) and the concept of random variance (the blind squirrel theory) to produce a winner on the field sooner or later.

Our front office is simply outmanned and outgunned by almost every other front office in the league and everybody in the football world knows that.

Who would want to work for RW and his band of front office morons (thanks George Costanza)? RW tried to recoup money from the fired Wade Phillips, and followed that up by firing Butler, who he lowballed with an offer which wasn't half of what most GM's worked for in 2000-01. That definitely factors into someone's decision making process when the Bills try (and fail) to get interviews.

Buffalo went from not being willing to pay for top notch personnel people and coaches to simply not being able to get interviews. Even if Littman allowed RW's money to be used on a very good GM candidate like Eric DeCosta, there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't even interview for a vacancy. And so, Buffalo ends up with Nix who is showing that he's above his pay-grade.

Relying on luck is such a RW philosophy. I just wish Mr. Smithers (Brandon) would have the guts to tell his boss that the owner has made it impossible to field a good team.

Cmon man, grown some brain cells :nana:

Aaron Rodgers was a back up alright, behind HoF legend Brett Farve, but he was also a #1 draft pick being groomed to be the eventual starter.

Fitz OTOH was a perennial back up QB and a 7 th round draft pick. Stevie Johnson was also a 7th round pick that nobody had even heard of until last season. Both Ryan Fitzpatrick and Fred Jackson have never entered a season as "the" starter until this year!

But I'm fairly certain you knew the difference, you just wanted to start some crap.

The funny part is Gailey has managed to get better production out of an offense this year without all the #1 picks that the Bills have wasted on the defense

Oh, you don't like that one?

How about this: backup QB (Brady, 6th round pick), backup RB (Smith--esentially a backup in Buff) and some late round picks at WR (Patten, Brown)....the 2001 SB champs.

These guys were playing well. They have some injuries on the O-line, a perennial issue on a unit never stocked with superstars (I guess Wood comes close). They still have their 3 best receivers (Stevie, Nelson, Chandler) and their best RB (a league leader, no less). But Chan's game calling in the face of adversity has been crap.

Oh, you don't like that one?

How about this: backup QB (Brady, 6th round pick), backup RB (Smith--esentially a backup in Buff) and some late round picks at WR (Patten, Brown)....the 2001 SB champs.

These guys were playing well. They have some injuries on the O-line, a perennial issue on a unit never stocked with superstars (I guess Wood comes close). They still have their 3 best receivers (Stevie, Nelson, Chandler) and their best RB (a league leader, no less). But Chan's game calling in the face of adversity has been crap.

Yea Brady was a back up, but still not a perennial back up on 3 different teams like Fitz was. Don't tell me you don't get how so many different OC's and HC" and different systems can ruin a QB.

Tom Brady has played in the same system his entire NFL career, and on playoff teams no less. when he took over for Bledsoe that was already a playoff team so he has ALWAYS had top O line protections. Fitz OTOH has played on some really really bad teams with horrid protections so his journey thru the NFL has been much more difficult, almost amazing he has survived this long.

Anyway, Gailey has managed to get 5 wins out of a bunch of nobody's and back ups, while that defense loaded with first rounders in the secondary has been stinking all year, save for the takeaways. Gailey does has some huge faults no question, his inability to adjust his offensive scheme once teams have learned how to stop the short passing game. plus the fact he is sticking with a crappy 3-4 when he doesn't have the players for it. Not to mention an offensive minded head coach that doesn't build the O line first thing... this reeks of SSDD & SSDY= SSDDecade

Yea Brady was a back up, but still not a perennial back up on 3 different teams like Fitz was. Don't tell me you don't get how so many different OC's and HC" and different systems can ruin a QB.

Tom Brady has played in the same system his entire NFL career, and on playoff teams no less. when he took over for Bledsoe that was already a playoff team so he has ALWAYS had top O line protections. Fitz OTOH has played on some really really bad teams with horrid protections so his journey thru the NFL has been much more difficult, almost amazing he has survived this long.

Anyway, Gailey has managed to get 5 wins out of a bunch of nobody's and back ups, while that defense loaded with first rounders in the secondary has been stinking all year, save for the takeaways. Gailey does has some huge faults no question, his inability to adjust his offensive scheme once teams have learned how to stop the short passing game. plus the fact he is sticking with a crappy 3-4 when he doesn't have the players for it. Not to mention an offensive minded head coach that doesn't build the O line first thing... this reeks of SSDD & SSDY= SSDDecade

Brady had exactly one year "in the system" when he took over for Bledsoe. He was sacked 41 times that year. Last year he had 25 sacks to Fitz's 24 and this year he has been sacked nearly twice as many times as Fitz already (19 to 11) and is getting spanked every week.

Yeah, the defense that was supposed to be improved sucks. But the offense, just like last year, starts out with lots of points, then everyone figures out Chan's genius and we can't score the second half of the season. Nothing has changed from last year.

Would it help if I said 1st SEASON instead of yr?!?!? I think you get the point. If not the read my post again, but SLOOOWWWLYYY this time. Don't hurt yourself though! If you read it, you will see I didn't mean 365 DAYS. Geez!! Point being, oh never mind! Waste of time. Happy Holidays!!! :D

I'll read slower next time if you promise to write something worth reading...

Wise-guy... ;)

Happy Holidays to you too!!! B-)

Brady had exactly one year "in the system" when he took over for Bledsoe. He was sacked 41 times that year. Last year he had 25 sacks to Fitz's 24 and this year he has been sacked nearly twice as many times as Fitz already (19 to 11) and is getting spanked every week.

Yeah, the defense that was supposed to be improved sucks. But the offense, just like last year, starts out with lots of points, then everyone figures out Chan's genius and we can't score the second half of the season. Nothing has changed from last year.

:unsure: Didn't we start out 0-8 and go 4-4 in the 2nd half last year?

My point being Tom Brady has ALWAYS had a top line in front of him, ALWAYS played on teams that have been at or near the top of the AFC East every year....because he has ALWAYS had great coaching. If he gets injured its because he holds the ball way to long on some plays, but then he is used to having 4-8 seconds to get rid of the ball, unlike Fitz who HAS to have the ball gone in under 3 seconds usually.

This year is nothing like last year, last season the Bills started out 0-8

I blame Gailey more then Nix at this point. Staying with Edwards and this garbage hybrid defense just kills this team every week

Gailey is clearly thinking too much on offense and as Ive been saying all year is way too pass happy. How many 3 and outs have we seen the last 3 weeks with 3 straight passes?

where are the 10-15 yard passing routes? every single pass play is within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage

the WR screen hasnt worked all season yet he calls it 2 or 3 times every game

Gailey's refusal to make a change with the defense and inability to adjust on offense are the main reasons this team has sunk

AMEN!!! Could not have said it any better.

The last two drafts have not yielded much talent. Dareus is a stud, but the 3rd pick would have been tough to mess up. Otherwise, Nix has not brought in much talent at all. Merriman was a terrible mistake. Smith was idiotic. He does get some props for Barnett, but otherwise the Bills are both thin and not terribly talented. There is a reason Nix didn't get a GM job until he hit 70. With the AFC being so mediocre this year the Bills would have had a shot if Nix had done a halfway decent job.

Oh shut up you idiot. What are you, 16? Nix just got here, inheriting 6-7 years of horrible, devastatingly ****ty drafting. The place was a empty house, talent-wise. It was barely an expansion team (but you're either too young or lame to remember those). No team in NFL history has come close to the Super Bowl in 30 years by going crazy in free agency. You do it through the draft and Nix probably drafted 4 starters this year at least (Hairston, Dareus, Williams and Sheppard.. and maybe Searcy).. this will take years to turn around. The AFC is weak but the Bills were bubble boy weak.. Anyone calling for Nix and Gailey to go just stay off the boards .. just go away . This is Buffalo your talking about. The entire staff will be blown up as soon as a new owner shows up, so you will get your wish eventually. Lets just stick with these guys until Ralph passes. No more revolving doors pls on OBD.

firstly, i'd like to wish all you fellow Bills fans a happy turkey day and looking forward to a great slate of games on thanksgiving.. i dont remember the last times 2/3 games actually being the marquee games of the week! i live in boca raton fla and have been reading this page for years but never posted cuz i know i will be completely addicted!! but i had to post this.. im 31 and havent missed 1 game in 20 years.. for my wedding that my in laws dropped 200k on my ONLY request for the wedding as it being a jewish wedding and we have weddings on sunday, was having it start at 5pm and they make sure the bar in hotel in palm beach PLAYED that game.. i still remember what a debacle it was.. october 22nd 2006 and losman just gets destroyed vs pats.. maybe i should have realized that was a sign to not get married cuz i got divorced a yr later after she stole a half a milion dollars from me ! lol

ok now to business....

say what u want about gailey, but look at whats he TRULY got on O... a "journeyman QB" who has only made headlines cuz for the first 6 games gailey was able to MAKE him a pro bowl QB.. those 2-5 yard passes and all those screens to jackson worked cuz teams respectful us on O even though he had the SAME lack of a deep game we have now.. jones' hands are awful and doesnt have the skill to win jump balls or true blazing speed to just outrun a 1-1 coverage down field... we have no weapons... gailey's offensive schemes are really based on getting guys into one of matchups and getting it to guy in space.. teams know fitz is "Smart" as mentioned 10 times on every telecast but he is high, or low far too often and cant sustain drives cuz he misses the one key pass more than he makes it.. gaileys O maintally is a finesse speed based system.. it can only work with a legit downfield threat and losing evans was huge... say what u want about the guy, lost a step with i agree with, but the guy has enough career bomb catches for teams to have to account for him.. decoy or not, the threat was there... it keeps a D honest... it was only a matter of time b4 teams learned how to stop us.. dont give us space cuz fitz comp% was only high at start cuz of mostly short throws... i wish more than anything gailey had the right TOOLS as in playmakers to make it work, but as a coach on a "cheap" team, u can only do so much with what u got.. not to mention gailey being able to hide our problems on oline with all those 1 second throws.. teams know how to stop this and KNOW we cant beat them down the field.. on to nix... KNOWING the coach u hired.. play to his strengths.. hes a creative offensive mind that has been able to make unorthodox QB's successful.. give this guy a REAL qb who is mobile... i wanted Cam so damn bad cuz u give gailey a toy like cam he would make it work... we all know Edwards needs to go and we have his replacement on staff so at least ralph can get away cheap on that one and have a the statche be in control of D and linebackers rather than having 2 seperate coaches! i think if they can get the right system QB from college in rounds 2-3 , and have him sit behind fitz for a yr or 2 cuz fitz is essentially an offensive co-ordinator cuz he has zero talent and makes plays cuz he knows how to read defenses. get him a kid like keenum who doesnt fit a "true" base offense.. we pretty much play a college spread type offense.. why not get a kid that posted madden type numbers in that offense.. we need a deep threat more than anything... get the best damn wideout we can in 1st or 2nd.. there are a lot of Wr's this yr and spend "f"ing money on D.. much easier to make an offense work with young fast players and a veteran D... sign free agents BUDDY BOY on D... we need real D players and we have a few, and a few god young ones in shepp and dareus and williams who are guys that can be assets to us long term... rookie CB;s tend to struggle, even peterson who was considered to possibly be #1 overall is getting picked on regularly and been making most of his noise of sp. teams.. i think nix should take a long nap on draft day and let the stache and gailey pick their own toys cuz they are the ones that have to use them... nix should focus of free agency and get us another olinemen, some depth and either a real WR via free agency or draft... im actually happy to finally see what Spiller can do.. at least he will now be given a real shot at showing if hes a bust or not and has more than a game to do so... its gonna be him the rest of the way and i think deep down, he "suits" gailey's offense better cuz with fitz, we know we are gonna have more 3-outs than most teams, hopefully spiller has learned from freddy how to pick holes cuz talent wise , he blows him away but jackson is all heart and runs with anger... watching spiller get stuffed at the goaline last week was purely a lack of heart... that hole they gave him was larger than Kim Kardashian's hole after getting gang banged by every nfl'er and nba'er out there! he saw the hole and was "walking" in then at last second he spotted a guy and realized he'd have to actually try and get in and couldnt get that push that jackson would have been able to punch in.. now that he;s feature back and knows O will be based around him, cuz they pretty much have no choice cuz next thing u know buddy nix is gonna have to lineup at WR due to all injuries there.. this kid is lightning, i saw almost every clemson game yr better and thought he was the next chris johnson but one thing a RB needs that i hope spiller has cuz johnson surely doesnt is HEART... he has shown very little heart in past yr and half but its gotta be frustrating getting picked top 10, 1st RB and not being able to play... this guys are all premadonnas, we know that and freddy just outworks every body... i wish u could put freddy's heart inwith spiller talent or even fitz brain in jp losman body! we have had 2 VERY talented qb's here but the problem was all they had was talent.. JP and rob Johnson.. u watch those guys warm up b4 games, they way they trow the ball is a thing of beauty.. but when they have a D in front of them trying to kill them, they get lost.. fitzy doesnt get lost.. he just cant make the big plays purely of talent cuz he just doesnt have tools... im excited to see CJ get the ball around 25 times this week and from here on out cuz im sure he can produce. some on those jackson runs when he finds a crease, and gets to 2nd level, Cj will break for td';s cuz of his speed not 20-30 yarders like freddy.. im just hoping hes learned enough by sitting on bench watching freddy and taking notes!

Anyways, ive rambled enough! hopefully team will do right things (doubt it) in off season cuz we need some legit speed on O and vets on D..