Paul Posluszny

dave mcbride

Everyone thought Maybin sucked, but if you thought Poz sucked, then you weren't watching many Bills games.

Maybin still sucks, but if you run him out there he's bound to do something every once in a while. If you look at his sacks they're either in garbage time, against a poor LT like McKinney, or the back missed the block (Matthews). He's terrible, and shouldn't even be mentioned with Poz. Guy was a solid player who couldn't stay on the field because of his health. Can't blame him for leaving 3-4 wasn't fit for him.

Edited by bouds

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would we be better this yr w POZ? Probably.But not in the long run for the gazillion dollars Jax gave him.

Poz is an average LB. Which is an improvement over what we have now...but not for that kind of dough.

The Bills are nearly $30 million under the cap. They NEED to spend more money.

Good point, Bill. But will they be available? I'm guessing that the Bills, with a 9-7 record, will be drafting around the 18 or 19 slot. Of course, great LB prospects can be had at that slot. But when will they get either the pass rusher or the blue chip CB that they desperately need?

This is a separate issue, but I think the most disappointing first round pick (among the very many) in the last decade has been McKelvin. I say that because he looked good right off the bat, and he's clearly a physical specimen. He really has it all physically, yet he sucks. He's Terrell Buckley all over again. You can't cut him either because the talent is there and you can't risk seeing him finally get it elsewhere. With someone like Maybin or Spiller, you can write it off as a bad investment and move on. With his evident talent and the extremely high premium placed on CBs (and rightly so), it's much harder to stomach.

Dave, what was the Aaron Williams selection? Nix said that they spurned trade down numerous trade down offers and took him. Does he count, or must we continue to waste all of our best resources on defensive backs?

And btw, imo, Whitner was an even worse pick than McKelvin. Trust me, I was absolutely sick to my stomach when they took McKelvin. But wrt Whitner, Levy said on Sirius that he turned down offers to trade down, and one of them involved more than just another 2nd round pick. The 2006 draft was stacked, and Dick Levy screwed it up to the point that the damage is only just starting to go away.

Dave, what was the Aaron Williams selection? Nix said that they spurned trade down numerous trade down offers and took him. Does he count, or must we continue to waste all of our best resources on defensive backs?

And btw, imo, Whitner was an even worse pick than McKelvin. Trust me, I was absolutely sick to my stomach when they took McKelvin. But wrt Whitner, Levy said on Sirius that he turned down offers to trade down, and one of them involved more than just another 2nd round pick. The 2006 draft was stacked, and Dick Levy screwed it up to the point that the damage is only just starting to go away.

I'll confess that I don't know about Williams, but I certainly hope he's good given the clear need at the position. I'm not going to defend the Whitner selection, but he's at least a fairly capable pro. McKelvin right now is simply a target. FYI, Whitner is the starting safety for a defense that is #1 overall in points allowed and #11 overall in yards allowed.

Edited by dave mcbride

The Bills are nearly $30 million under the cap. They NEED to spend more money.

Completely agree, but it seems like every year by mid-season they're scouring practice squads and signing street FA's because they've had some injuries and didn't sign depth guys. I don't see many other team resorting to filling their roster when injuries inevitably hit.

Good point. Of course, given our personnel, there's no way we should be playing a 3-4. That's just stupid, and a classic example of a bad defensive coach forcing a preferred scheme on a team that doesn't have the right personnel. But that's a whole 'nother issue.

I will say this-- just about everyone on this board was screaming for years to change back to a 3-4.

The problem hasn't been the scheme; it's been the fact that every new coach that comes in decides to change the scheme, causing 2 to 3 years of horrendous defensive play due to the transition.

The Whitner Pick was 100 times worse than McLovin...For many reasons it's not even close... B-)

I will say this-- just about everyone on this board was screaming for years to change back to a 3-4.

The problem hasn't been the scheme; it's been the fact that every new coach that comes in decides to change the scheme, causing 2 to 3 years of horrendous defensive play due to the transition.

I would say it's got a LOT more to do with who is Coaching these schemes and their ability than it does the actual change itself...Seems like Houston is accepting the move to a 3-4 pretty well...It's about the Coaching, Game planning, scouting the opponent, and the ability to develop the talent given... B-)

You forgot to mention the fact that Barnett has two INT's as well, but I agree we should have kept Poz he is younger and would have gotten more years out of him.

I didn't like Maybin but it is obvious now, we were asking two much from the kid. Playing OLB come on. We should have used him like the Packers use Mathews, just rush the QB every time, don't worry about defending anyone. Look at Maybin this year for the Jets, alls he does is rush the QB and he is getting pretty good at putting pressure on him.

I don't believe maybin has had an impact in the last two games, against us or the Pats. Yes he has made a few plays this year non of which were in crunch time or at a time when it made a definite impact on the game. And that can be said of many players in the NFL.

I find it funny that 3 guys that we thought sucked have gone on to play with other teams with good defenses and are productive. You mention Poz who is starting on the #4 defense in the NFL. Whitner is starting (I think) for the 7-1 49ers and Maybin is making sacks and forcing fumbles for the Jets D.

Man, are we really overstating Maybin's impact that much? The last three games, the guy has a grand total of one tackle, which just happens to be a sack. I don't think he's even been noticeable during those games.

Did the players we lost actually make the other teams better. Jax is still losing, The Jets although they beat us are not world beaters this year. San Fran had a decent defense before, but now they are playing darn good offense. I don't think our 3 are making that big a difference. Poz is staying healthy, Whitner doesn't have to play a different position each week, but he is still not an impact player, and Maybin..............

7-1 called and begs to differ.

Right because Whitner has SO much to do with that 7-1 Record... :lol:

I have to admit he's is better when surrounded by exceptional talent and good Coaching...But saying he suddenly got good because the 49ers are 7-1 is a joke...

And Haloti Ngata called...He begs to differ as well... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

The Whitner Pick was 100 times worse than McLovin...For many reasons it's not even close... B-)

I would say it's got a LOT more to do with who is Coaching these schemes and their ability than it does the actual change itself...Seems like Houston is accepting the move to a 3-4 pretty well...It's about the Coaching, Game planning, scouting the opponent, and the ability to develop the talent given... B-)

The above is a perfect post. Thank you.

Many don't understand just how much the 06 draft hurt us. It wasn't only Ngata we missed on. Remember Davin Joseph, Nick Mangold and much more.

As for Houston.....Wade Phillips is a defensive genius. Period.

THEY DIDN'T LET HIM GO.

They were desperately trying to resign him, expected to, and were devasted when he left. So, if you're right about Poz as a player, than it is an indictment of OBD for trying so hard to keep him...

They have cap room so they could have offered more but management was smart to not up the anti. As far as being an indictment of OBD, I thought the Kelsay signing was the true indictment there. This organization is so use to being below average that when an average talent that looks to be a step up but still average comes along, they throw money at him. The real truth is that you can get a better talent than Poz off the waiver wire as Nick Barnett is.